Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Couch to 5K

Tomorrow is another big day - W6D2 - the last of the intervals. After that, it's all running, all the time!

I've done all my running on a treadmill - except for W1D1 when I lost power after the 3rd interval and had to take it outside to complete it. I'm starting to get a little stir crazy and my basement is so crowded that the only thing I have to look at when running is a shelf full of junk and my barely working fan.

I'm thinking about moving my runs to the outside world - in real honest-to-goodness fresh air and sunshine! GASP! I haven't failed to complete any day or week and would hate for it to happen this late in the game.

My neighborhood is fairly flat, so hills won't be a problem and tomorrow morning it's supposed to be about 70* with some humidity. Is there anything else that makes running outside so drastically different or difficult?

Bob

"]

weight.png

Start Date: 05/04/2009

That's funny Bob your looking at running some outside and I am trying to move on to the treadmill a little more. I have only completed a few of my runs on the treadmill because of weather but I think it is probably the best way for me to start trying to improve my speed. I honestly don't know how you've been able to do all that running on the treadmill I am impressed. I hate it, when I stop I feel like the floor is moving and I'm going to fall over.

I ran on the treadmill last night and tried to maintain a 10:00 mile pace but I fell just short. My final average speed was an 11:00 pace which would be about a 35 minute 5K. I would be very happy with that for my first 5K. I hate running on the treadmill but if you don't keep up you fall on your face which tends to motivate me to move a little quicker than I do outside.

My only tip for running outside is be safe, watch out for cars because they're not going to watch for you. And be careful of cracks and bumps in the sidewalk and street it would be pretty easy to sprain an ankle or worse.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

Yep - the treadmill was making me crazy! I felt like some sort of zombie - just moving without thought or reason, all the while looking completely dead in the eyes.

I did my W6D2 run outside. Not only did I run farther, but I also ran faster - with little or no extra effort. Oh yea, and I sweated a heck of a lot less due to the wind!! :bcb_wink3

When I did W5D3 (the 20-minute run), my grand total on distance (according to the treadmill) was a whopping 1.75miles - this included the 5-min warm-up/cool-down walks -- my total time was 30 minutes. 1.75 miles in 30 minutes - eh, not a great time.

According to Gmaps Pedometer, my total distance today was 2.41 miles (including the warm-up/cool-down walks and the 3-min walking interval, and I was walking pretty slow) and I ended up about 100 yards from my house at the end of DJ Beatsmith's podcast - which is 33 minutes. Wow! 2.41 miles in 33 minutes - I am truly amazed and completely flabbergasted! I cannot believe it!! :bcb_bigsm

My HR was pretty good, too! Got as high as 145 after the second 10-min run, but then dropped to 114 within a minute of walking.

My shins are letting me know that they are not very happy, but the pain is minimal compared to a few weeks ago. Running on asphalt is a lot different than running on a treadmill, but I think I'll get used to it. My shin split braces are doing their job, which is wonderful.

I am so thrilled!! :bcbkickbu

Bob

"]

weight.png

My shins are letting me know that they are not very happy, but the pain is minimal compared to a few weeks ago. Running on asphalt is a lot different than running on a treadmill,

Bob

I've been staying over on the shoulder of the road in the hopes of less injury. It might be something for you to consider as well.

I'm sad to report that I opted to not do W2D2 this a.m. I went for a 16 mile bike ride yesterday and my foot hurt a bit afterward. I put ice on it last eve and might try to do so again. I haven't had heal pain for months before this! The day before I had done W2D1, 1 mile walks on each of my work breaks and a 2 mile walk. Maybe that was too much for it? I'm hoping that if I give my foot one more day to heal & then just do my C25K and nothing more for the day, it won't become an ongoing battle again and take me totally off program. There is a chance, I guess, that I may just not be able to do this without inducing pain! It took over three years for my foot to heal last time & it didn't heal until I quit all exercise on my feet...even walking. The only cardio I did then was the elliptical. :bcb_cry: I have been doing a lot of stretching and wearing good shoes. I try to run like the video says to a few pages back on this forum. My inserts hurt my feet now but I suppose I could try them again. I don't know what else to do to try to ward off the return of the dreaded plantar fasciitis!

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

Losing weight is hard! Being fat is hard! Choose your hard!

Yep - the treadmill was making me crazy! I felt like some sort of zombie - just moving without thought or reason, all the while looking completely dead in the eyes.

I did my W6D2 run outside. Not only did I run farther, but I also ran faster - with little or no extra effort. Oh yea, and I sweated a heck of a lot less due to the wind!! :bcb_wink3

When I did W5D3 (the 20-minute run), my grand total on distance (according to the treadmill) was a whopping 1.75miles - this included the 5-min warm-up/cool-down walks -- my total time was 30 minutes. 1.75 miles in 30 minutes - eh, not a great time.

According to Gmaps Pedometer, my total distance today was 2.41 miles (including the warm-up/cool-down walks and the 3-min walking interval, and I was walking pretty slow) and I ended up about 100 yards from my house at the end of DJ Beatsmith's podcast - which is 33 minutes. Wow! 2.41 miles in 33 minutes - I am truly amazed and completely flabbergasted! I cannot believe it!! :bcb_bigsm

My HR was pretty good, too! Got as high as 145 after the second 10-min run, but then dropped to 114 within a minute of walking.

My shins are letting me know that they are not very happy, but the pain is minimal compared to a few weeks ago. Running on asphalt is a lot different than running on a treadmill, but I think I'll get used to it. My shin split braces are doing their job, which is wonderful.

I am so thrilled!! :bcbkickbu

Bob

YEA!!!! I am so glad you moved it outside!!!!:bcbkickbu:bcbkickbu

WM- ******{HUGS}}}} I hope your foot feels better!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

My inserts hurt my feet now but I suppose I could try them again. I don't know what else to do to try to ward off the return of the dreaded plantar fasciitis!

OUCH!! I suffered with plantar faciitis several years ago - I did taping, wore night splints, had multiple cortizone shots and eventually had surgery (non-invasive - the kind used to break up kidney stones). I never wear shoes without my inserts/orthotics, even when I run. I've worn them so long that I no longer feel them, but when I first got them the first few days were pretty painful. Good luck - I hope it doesn't return!!

Bob

"]

weight.png

I could tape I guess. I had forgotten about that. I used to wear a boot to bed but it wakes me up at night. Now, I just stretch with a band before I get out of bed & throughout the day some as well. I have had a few cortizone shots in the past. They helped temporarily. How long did it take you to heal from surgery? Maybe that's the route I'll end up having to go because I don't want inactivity to be my only escape from the pain. I have tried wearing my insert in my tennies but now, it seems to bother my feet more than help. ?? My danskos are my best friends. I have three pair of clogs and that's pretty much what I live in...never go barefoot and all other shoes except my running shoes may as well be tossed.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

The boots are pretty hard to sleep in! They have these new soft ones now that basically keep the foot flexed and they're very small and look way more comfortable.

After my surgery, I really didn't notice any difference for about 4 weeks and then the pain just went away one morning. If I go any length of time wearing shoes without my orthotics or going barefoot, I start to get a little pain in my heel, so I always make sure my orthotics are in every pair of shoes I wear.

Bob

"]

weight.png

Bob I am glad to hear the outdoor run went so well. I hear what you're saying about the sweat, when I run on the treadmill I am completely soaked when I am done.

Well the good news is today is my final day of C25K!! If if live through this one I can say I actually completed the program from beginning to end. I haven't decided where I am going to go for my last C25K run. We have a nice trail around a lake I've never run on so I may go there.

The bad news is I've had a pain in the bottom of my foot just under the heel for several weeks now. I would describe the pain as annoying mostly except when I first get out of bed it is much more painful for about 10 minutes or so. I punched up plantar fasciitis on Google after reading your conversation and it sounds like that is probably what is causing my problem. It never hurts when I run but it does the rest of the day. (It probably hurts when I run but I don't notice it because everything else hurts worse) So I guess I should probably go see my doctor. Just when I get the pain in my side under control something else starts hurting.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

The bad news is I've had a pain in the bottom of my foot just under the heel for several weeks now. I would describe the pain as annoying mostly except when I first get out of bed it is much more painful for about 10 minutes or so. I punched up plantar fasciitis ...

That's exactly what you've got. Read up on what to do about it here.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010201/467.html

But getting fitted for orthotics is the only long term solution. I had the problem in the mid 80s. Got orthotics in '87 and have been able to run pain free since.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Well the good news is today is my final day of C25K!! If if live through this one I can say I actually completed the program from beginning to end. I haven't decided where I am going to go for my last C25K run. We have a nice trail around a lake I've never run on so I may go there.

The bad news is I've had a pain in the bottom of my foot just under the heel for several weeks now. I would describe the pain as annoying mostly except when I first get out of bed it is much more painful for about 10 minutes or so.

Good luck on your last run! I hope you're proud of yourself for getting through the program!!

My plantar faciitis started the same way - pain in the heel after sitting for a while or when I got up in the morning. After all the taping, shots, splits, surgery, etc. - the one thing that keeps my feet feeling good are my orthotics. I have one pair that I got from my doctor that cost a small fortune - after that I tried the "Phase 4" orthotics that you see in the television infomercials and they worked just as well - I now own 6 sets! Orthotics do take a while to get used to and can be very painful at first, but your feet will adjust to them.

Bob

"]

weight.png

YAY for your last run WU!!! Sorry about the feet that stinks.

Wanted to run this morning. It's raining. I'm not afraid of the rain it's that whenever my kicks have gotten a little wet, I've hydroplaned. I DO NOT want to fall and get hurt. Hopefully it dries out soon.

weight.png

Bob Congratulations on making it through the program, that is totally inspiring to me (who is starting the W1D1 on Monday). I've been walking outside this week, getting my body used to a different form of exercise

Did the 2 mile loop again today, just a nice steady walking pace. It was lovely outside, sunshine and just a slight breeze.

Have a great day everyone!

Denise

Well, the streets dried up enough. Day 3 Week 7 done. I ran 33:30. I still have a slight twing in my left shin and a little side stitches that went away as soon a my breathing leveled out. It was a little tough to get the breathing under control during the first few mins because the humidity. The air like hurt in my lungs. Once I got the first minute in it was fine.

I also got 5 mins warm up and 12 mins cool down walk.

weight.png

Well I did one day and didn't complete the rest I have no idea why I am in the funk I am in but I am going to take everyones advice and start at week 4. I walk mostly everyday I just can't bring myself to run in this heat we are having. It's getting a little cooler out now not as humid which is good. I never ran in 94 degree weather I find myself just wanting to live at the pool and don't really care about nothing else. Well this coming week it's going to be high 70s so I can get my ____ back on the wagon. Thanks to everyone for the advice I am going to take it I worked to hard to start at the beginning.

Nadine

BW 214

SW 197

CW 200.4 on my way back down :bcb_march

GW 150

weight.png

Its not a diet it's a lifestyle........:workout::bike::water1:

Week 6 is now done! Wow! I cannot believe that this morning I ran for 25 minutes non-stop! I decided to run outside again after a great W6D2 run and took it nice and slow. However, I kept catching myself speeding up and knew I'd never make it if I didn't slow down. I will admit that there were a few times when I wanted to stop and walk, but I kicked myself in the butt and kept going.

I made a HUGE mistake in setting my HR watch to stopwatch mode and started it the second I heard the little chime from DJ Beatsmith. I kept looking at it!! I looked the first time at 13 minutes and thought: "Wow, I'm now more than half way". After that, it seemed that I looked at it every two minutes, which of course made the run seem longer. Ugh! I also got very tired towards the end and couldn't concentrate on keeping my usual 3:2 breathing pace, so my heart-rate went a little higher than usual - 147 - but came down once I started walking again.

My shins are letting me know that they are not happy with running outside! I started to get the pain under control and then I changed things up by getting off the treadmill and onto asphalt. They now feel like they did a few weeks ago when they were at their worst (could barely walk up stairs). So for the rest of today - it's ice, massages and some stretches. What a lazy (lovely) way to spend the rest of the day!

Bob

"]

weight.png

Bob, I just thought of something re shin splints. What is your posture like when you're running? Are you fairly straight up and not leaning forward too much? I'm taking a little break from running right now due to heel issues, but I went for a short jog the other day. My posture wasn't the greatest, and I could feel it in my shins. The moment I realized I was leaning forward and straightened up a bit, my shins were happy. Just a thought . . .

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Bob, I just thought of something re shin splints. What is your posture like when you're running? Are you fairly straight up and not leaning forward too much? I'm taking a little break from running right now due to heel issues, but I went for a short jog the other day. My posture wasn't the greatest, and I could feel it in my shins. The moment I realized I was leaning forward and straightened up a bit, my shins were happy. Just a thought . . .

Thanks for the suggestion but I run with my back very straight - almost looks like I have a board keeping me upright and I look very stiff (although I'm quite relaxed). If I start to lean forward, I feel myself going faster and know that I won't be able to complete the day's run, so I straighten up.

Bob

"]

weight.png

I finished my final run Saturday, 3 miles in just under 31 minutes! I decided to go to a 1/4 track which was boring scenery but it allowed me to accurately track my time and distance.

When I started this program a couple of months ago I NEVER thought I would actually finish it. I have tried running at different times in my life, and even when forced to run for sports or during the police academy I was never able to develop the endurance to keep going for more than a mile without walking. I am a believer in this training program. If you are just starting out stick with it, if I can do it you can do it.

I am eager to follow along with the rest of you who have been progressing through C25K with me. I have a question for each of you. What next? I was talking with a fitness coach at my gym and explaining I had just about completed C25K and she said "Congrats! Now what?" She reminded me that this was not the end but the beginning and encouraged me to develop goals to work towards after finishing the program. Instead of going out and running the same distance at the same speed everyday I need to continue to push myself to improve just as this program has forced me to do every week for two months.

My goal for the time being is to improve my speed while maintaining the 30 minute runs. Instead of increasing my time spent running I am working to increase the intensity of my run. In the future I will likely try to increase the distance that I can run.

SW-290 01/14/09

CW-218

I am eager to follow along with the rest of you who have been progressing through C25K with me. I have a question for each of you. What next?

Well, I have planned on longer distances. I plan on being a one hour runner and participate in a 10 k in Oct. and then the rock n roll 1/2 marathon in LV in Dec. I found this for c25k now what?: http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html

I am on your heels (pun intended:0) as far as being finished with the c25k. I finished W8 D1. I am uping the mins so I can be ready for 3 mis. on the 4th. Yesterday I ran for 37:19. I think I am good. I will know forsure tomorrow. I drove around yesterday finding a good non-boring 1.5 mi. there and back. I'll set my timer for an hour count down and see how long it takes.

weight.png

I finished my final run Saturday, 3 miles in just under 31 minutes! I decided to go to a 1/4 track which was boring scenery but it allowed me to accurately track my time and distance.

My goal for the time being is to improve my speed while maintaining the 30 minute runs. Instead of increasing my time spent running I am working to increase the intensity of my run. In the future I will likely try to increase the distance that I can run.

Congratulations on making it through the course and for the great weight loss this week! I'm sure you're pretty pumped!

I plan on continuing after I complete the program - not sure just yet if I want to increase speed, time, distance or a combination of all three.

Bob

"]

weight.png

"Congrats! Now what?"

Exactly. It's a great first step. You achieved a significant goal. You have made more gains going from zero to 3 miles than you'll ever make again. The changes in your body are monumental even if you can't see it clearly. But now what? The whole purpose is to make this or some form of regular exercise a permanent part of your life so you need another goal, like so many miles or so many days per month or maybe a charity 5k event. You always need something to keep you motivated.

BTW, speaking of accuracy, tracks have not been 1/4 mile around in 40 years. I still sometimes call them quarters, but that's showing my age. They are all 400 meters now which is slightly shorter. Four laps, 1600 meters, is 39 feet short of a mile in lane 1. Running in lane 3 is much closer to 1/4 mile and the outer lanes would be a bit farther.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Finished up W7D1 this morning and it felt pretty good. Made me realize that the 25 minute run from W6D3 wasn't a fluke! The shins are still troubling me, but they felt better after today's run than they did previously.

Hopefully that means that they are getting better or at least getting used to hauling my fat butt around for a couple of miles!! :bcb_smile

Bob

"]

weight.png

HELP! I thought my feet were going to be the main problem but yesterday it was my shins. It was a terrible session and I'm only on w2d3! I stretched extra good after all the pains we've been talking about here and I almost wonder if that's what did me in. ?? I made it but it wasn't pretty. I thought DH would tell me to throw in the towel. I know he's worried about me having foot pain again. I didn't even make it close to the 2 miles I usually do because I walked so slowly in between to recover. My legs felt heavy from the knees down. I'll have to read back and see what Photobob was told for his shin troubles. I know ice and taking it easy....I remember that from a post not too long ago.

G 160 H 224 C 208.5

HELP! I thought my feet were going to be the main problem but yesterday it was my shins. It was a terrible session and I'm only on w2d3! I stretched extra good after all the pains we've been talking about here and I almost wonder if that's what did me in. ?? I made it but it wasn't pretty. I thought DH would tell me to throw in the towel. I know he's worried about me having foot pain again. I didn't even make it close to the 2 miles I usually do because I walked so slowly in between to recover. My legs felt heavy from the knees down. I'll have to read back and see what Photobob was told for his shin troubles. I know ice and taking it easy....I remember that from a post not too long ago.

What healed my shins was this strech. I'll describe as best as possible: With shoes on, one foot at a time, bend knee sligtly and place tip of toe on the ground. And push your heel forward. When I did this, I felt ALL the muscles in the front of my shin S-T-R-E-T-C-H. It was wonderful.

weight.png