Health Discovery Network
jenib

Wed. march 18th

Hi all,

I saw there was no thread up yet so I thought I would start one for today. It is 8:30 am and work is beckoning me. I have a project already. (Woo-hoo) I seemed to have lost the .6 lb I gained, but WI isn't until tomorrow so we shall see. ...Is it appropriate to ask for advice on non weight related issues in this forum? If so I may ask for career advice!

Hope everyone is doing well. Have an onplan day!

blk-weight.png

Good Morning! :wave:

Well, I gave Claire the opportunity to handle a sleep over responsibly. She didn't take it, but I gave it. I didn't want to have to get all "mean mom" in front of her friend so I made some pointed comments to her at various times that we'd "talk" about things later. She knows what that means!! :bcb_worry I don't mind that much as it gives me the perfect excuse to ban sleepovers for the foreseeable future. It's been quite some time since her last one and will likely be quite some time until the next one! So, we'll just have to pull ourselves together and get through the day until we can hopefully all catch up on some sleep tonight. :sleepin:

DH has taken the car and is off to work downtown. There's a rumor that they're going to start laying people off so DH, being a consultant, would be one of the first people to be let go. We can afford to live without it but it's been nice to have since it's been funding our retirement contributions for the past couple of years!!

Anyway, the 4 kids & I will be walking to the aquatic center (I hope the rain holds off) and the kids will do the rec swim. We're dropping Claire's friend off on our way back home and then we'll have a short break for lunch & reading until we all have to leave to go for our dental cleanings/check-ups. I've booked us in for all maintenance work this week while the kids are off school!!

This evening, I'm thinking of taking a boxing class and then sticking around for yoga. We'll see how tired I am as yoga might be my only speed for the day! Rest assured, it will be an early night around here!! :bcb_up

Have a great OP day everybuddy! :salut

Jeni- Of course you can ask for some career advice here. What's going on?

Kimberley

Kimberly- I did not realize you have four kids, I don't know why but somehow I thought it was two. No wonder you always sound soo busy and yet somehow you still manage to cook. I need to take lessons!

Hope things go well for your husband. I know the economy is bad right now. My dh could make way more money elsewhere but his job is very stable and with the economy the way it is I can't advise him to go elsewhere.

As for the career advice, I have an "okay" job but I feel like a glorified secretary and I have a b.a. and 36 graduate hours. I know that I need to go back to grad school for advancement. I was thinking of becoming a professor because that way grad school would give me sometime to write. My family wants me to finish law school, which doesn't seem practial given my dh doesn't want to take citizenship and has lots of property else where. I couldn't use a U.S. law degree there and I can't go far in government here w/ a foreign spouse. It turns out that writing programs are harder to get into than law school. I feel kind of lost like I don't know what I should be doing, but I'm sure it isn't filing!

blk-weight.png

Hey buddies, I am here, but I am struggling. bcb_sad In fact, yesterday I didn't journal my food. :bcb_kick::bcb_kick: I don't know exactly what it is, but I do know that I'm feeling PMSy (which at this point will probably last for another week until I get to 56 days due to a skipped month:bcb_grrrr). I'm also feeling annoyed that my weight loss has been non-existent for a month now. I'm also worried about my mammogram that I finally did have this morning, but they no longer give results right away. I'll know in a day or two if I have to go back, otherwise I'll just receive a report in the mail, same as my doctor. So, more waiting there. :bcb_grrrr

Anyway, in an attempt to turn this ship around to the right course, I decided to keep track of calories in addition to points. It can only help at this point. Oddly enough, based on my research, it seems that the number of calories I should consume each day to lose a pound a week given my vitals and activity level (1500) are the exact same as 20 target each day and all WPAs and an average of 3 APs a day, which is generally what I earn. Soooooo, the problem must be in what I'm eating.:bcb_huh: I guess it's a combination of too many 0pt foods each day and what I tend to not count :bcb_blush - a couple of sips of DH's wine, a handful of DD's popcorn, one of DS's cookies, etc. I'm going to track every thing now, even if it doesn't add up to a point...

If anything, I feel a renewed interest in getting very serious again and seeing if tracking both calories and points makes a difference. I guess I'm feeling optimistic again, which I had been lacking for a couple of weeks now.

I've got to go pick up the kids at school. I really intend to come back later and catch up.

:bcb_salut

Cindy- I did the 24 diet briefly before I finally decided to go back to WW. It is primarily calorie counting and I realized that I was eating far more calories counting calories than counting points. The other thing was because I did have less points than calories I made better decisions with them. (Now, when I say I had less points than calories it was not including the 35 WPA). I don't see much of a problem with counting both other than it could become hihgly annoying, but I deffinately think the point system is better than basing your diet on calories alone.

...I've never tried it but I have heard that when you hit a plateua you can do a high point day then a couple of low point days then a high point day and it helps your metabolism pick up again. Hope that helps

blk-weight.png

Hi Buddies,

Another OP day, and plan to end day OP. I am so tired and I might just have to take a little nap.

Jeni~I hope you have a good wi tomorrow!

Kimberley~I am glad we are past the sleep over stage.:bcb_wink3

Cindy~Sorry to hear you are struggling, but I am very glad to hear you have a plan in place. I have never been one to count calories. I know that every BLT does add up. If we don't count them, our body will be sure to keep track of them for us.:bcb_smile Our bodies don't forget. And there's always a payoff.:bcb_huh:

Hello to all that follow, have a great evening.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie- LOL! Now you've come full circle and are at the no sleeping baby stage-- but only occasionally. It's all still so fresh with me that even one bad night's sleep takes me back to my PTSD from baby-ville! LOL

Jeni- I've got 3 kids but the oldest had a sleep over so it was 4 while she was with us! I think that the economy is hitting the universities very hard. Tenured professors are losing their jobs (even though they have tenure). Endowments are big time down in this economy and there isn't much government funding for private universities. I've got "most" of a PhD degree in history (just have to write that pesky dissertation) but there are no career opportunities available to me when I finish that aren't already available now (which is, in a word, none). I think that you need to pursue your dreams but also be aware that there are lots of MA and PhD's out there with jobs way below their degrees. Hopefully things will improve once more of the baby boomers start retiring-- if they can even afford to retire anymore!! As for DH, he works from home for a company in Los Angeles. He makes almost half as much money at this job as he did at his last job in Denver but it's a stable company that gives him the freedom to work here in Canada so it's worth it. The company he does some consulting for is local and isn't our main source of income. It's really helped us get a leg up with retirement savings though so I hope it continues!

Cindy- We can do this girlfriend!! After struggling all weekend, I got myself back on track on Monday just to screw it up with oreos and smores last night. :bcb_down So here I am detoxing YET AGAIN!! I think that when and what we eat is extremely important. Filling foods really are the key. I also find that eating more in the morning and less in the evening helps keep the furnace burning when you're the most active.

Kimberley

Guest healthydays

Cindy -- Sorry to hear about your struggles. When it comes to the little extras I also have to watch this carefully. My rule is once a day I can have one taste of something not counted as long as that taste is less than 1 point. If I have 2 tastes or it is more than 1 point then I count it. This little bit of wiggle room makes me feel like I'm getting a treat and frankly most days I don't take it but I'm happy knowing it's there.

I also know what you mean about worrying while waiting for test results. I can go along quite fine with no problem at all but then go for my annual pap smear or mammogram and suddenly I'm worried until the results come in. Right now I'm waiting for the blood and stool tests so there is a little nagging worry. That's just me, I guess.

Good news.....I think the MD may have me on the right medicine this time. My tummy is already feeling about 70% better in the 4 days since she changed my meds. Pain level is way down. When she calls with my test results I'll need to find out exactly what was wrong as I don't know yet and I'm not quite sure what these new meds are treating for. Think I may get out for a walk tomorrow as I am just feeling so much better.

Well, counting calories today was a real eye-opener. I'm ending up at just 1500, yet I would have counted what I ate today as 22 points (which would be a very low point day for me)! I'm obviously eating too much in the way of 0pt foods. I am very hungry today, so tomorrow I will be sure to eat more protein.

Jeni - The method of varying points is the Wendy Plan, or here we have the CW Plan also. I already mix up my points fairly well day to day, so I think it's something else that has to change (like I eat too much). Even though it's a big pain, I will continue to track calories in addition to points for at least a couple of weeks.

Trudie - Glad you had an OP day. You are so right about the body not forgeting about every BLT. Every single one of them shows up eventually.

Hey, can you believe this - I miss my treadmill lol. It's beyond repair and we have been looking at a replacement. I was hoping to have one by tomorrow, but we need a couple more days to research and actually get out to buy one. Maybe that's my problem - this is all due to treadmill withdrawal. :bcb_grin

Kimberley - Sorry to hear that your struggles with the sugar are continuing. Can you find a replacement treat that will still allow you to feel like you are occasionally indulging with everyone else - just not eating the same sugar-laden treat as they are? Would one of your core frozen baked goods do it? I like your tip to eat more in the morning instead of the evening. I'll try it and see if it helps with my hunger level.

Healthydays - Your rule about the extra taste or two is a great idea and obviously working well for you. My ww leader used to tell me to just write it down, even if you don't count it. She wanted me to then look at the end of the week at all these BLTs that weren't counted and see if maybe there weren't quite a few points that should be added in after all. Of course you both are right and I really need to get my head out of the sand and own up to what I am eating. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Ok, onward and downward for me! :bcb_tank:

Trudie- LOL! Now you've come full circle and are at the no sleeping baby stage-- but only occasionally.

LOL, you are so right. I have to say though, the little darling slept all night last Saturday night when we had her! It was wonderful.

Hey, can you believe this - I miss my treadmill lol.

That is too funny, did you ever think you'd miss it???:bcb_grin Gotta like these lifestyle changes! I hope you find a new one soon.

HD~I am glad to hear your tummy is doing much better!

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Hey, ya'll

just finished reading the posts, and while I'm certainly not happy to see my buddies struggling, it is a tiny bit encouraging to see that I'm not alone in my food tug-of-wars. I'm positive that I will never completely put away my now and then chocolate addiction recurrences (like the one I just caved in to).

You're right, Kimberley. We can do this. It may not be as easy as it was 20 years ago, or even 10, but I can still do it.

I ran tonight for the first time in about a week. My calves did good tonight, so I'll take it slow and start building them back up.

Night all. Hang in there!

Leigh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HW 175/SW 169/CW 169/LW 151/GW 140

Ht: 5'9"