Health Discovery Network
red-d-2-lose

Earning and Eating AP's

So I joined the YMCA this week and and I have now gone from basically no exercise to a full blown athelte. Here is my schedule. M,T,W,TH,SAT 45 Minute Water aerobic classes. I am also going to do some other stuff like elliptical, and weight lifting on saturdays. I will be earning like 40 or more AP's a week.

My question is how many do you think I should eat, and should I eat my WPA's I know if you don't eat enough you dont lose.

April

HW 370/CW 307.4/ GW 150

http://redd2lose.webs.com/ My Blog and Website

TEAM RED

I'd make sure to eat all of the WPAs and most, if not all, of the APs. The important thing is to make sure that you're measuring your APs properly and not overestimating. The machines at the gym (elliptical in particular) tend to overestimate calories burned. If you have a heart rate monitor, that will be most accurate. Otherwise, use your perceived exertion and the POINTSBooster scale to determine your APs.

Kimberley

Just a word of caution: It's easy to over estimate your activity level. If you don't have a heart rate monitor then every 20 minutes or check your pulse (you know, 15 seconds x 4 will give you your heart rate).

If you don't have the patience for this then the heaviness of your breathing can also be a good indicator.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

My concern, and this is JMHO, is that you're going from nothing to all out. I'd be worried about burnout. don't you think it would be better to gradually increase your exercise? you've got quite a schedule there, and it tired me out just reading what you plan on doing! I'd think you'd want to start out slow, and work your way up to the full blown athlete!! Don't get me wrong, I think it's WONDERFUL that you've become more active!

Remember, that's just My humble opinion!:bcb_up

AND, don't forget you get to eat your weekly 35 extra points BEFORE your exercise points! (that's something that's hard for me to remember!)

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

Actually, if you're just starting a regular exercise routine, especially in water, I believe you'll probably UNDER-estimate your APs! (You won't sweat in the pool). As your body adapts and becomes more fit, you'll have to re-assess your intensity level. That's why I think "perceived exertion" is the most accurate way to gauge intensity (I personally don't like wearing HRMs). In the beginning, it won't take much to get you huffing and puffing. In a couple of weeks, however, you may find you have to ramp it up to get to that point. Or, keep the now-lower intensity and count it as "moderate" instead of "high" (or "low" instead of "moderate").

However you count them, it IS important that you DO. If you earn 'em, eat 'em. Your body will need the extra nutrition to repair and rebuild. DO try to use your APs on extra protein and high-quality carbs, though....

And, if you DO start to feel burned out, try alternating harder days with easier days. I DO think it's easier to maintain a daily habit (e.g. allocate a certain hour of the day for exercise) than to exercise one day and not to anything the next. So maybe you go for a walk on days when you need a 'break'...but you're still moving. KWIM?

Good luck!

- Jennifer

ACE-certified Personal Trainer

& WW Lifetime Member

weight.png

I appreciate and understand your concern about exercising so much but honestly I want to go that much because I LOVE LOVE LOVE water aerobics. It is so much fun for me. Also about over estimating when I am in the water aerobics I am honestly work hard, really hard, I even make the comments "I am gonna die" and " I like the Wednesday night teacher better" several times so I know I working hard. But I only count it as moderate for the fear of over estimating. Some people only exercise because they want more points to eat. I want to exercise because it makes my body feel good, I have been sleeping great, and I feel awesome! I don't want to eat any of the points I earn but I know I have to. I am going to invest in a heart rate monitor in a couple weeks. how do you know the number for high, moderate, and low heart rates. Thanks for concerns.

April

HW 370/CW 307.4/ GW 150

TEAM RED

April, if you're enjoying your exercise, then go for it!! I've yet to meet anyone who exercises only to get more food (unless they've overeaten and do some exercise to balance out the points occasionally). I make jokes about exercising for the extra food points I get but I enjoy what I do, which is why I do it!!

As for HRMs, it will outline the ranges for your age, etc. As Jennifer said, things will change quickly over time so something that would have your heart rate through the roof will not be as challenging after a few weeks. Generallly speaking, it's lower intensity below 110, moderate up to 130 and high beyond that. I agree with Jennifer that perceived exertion is a much more accurate measure. I sometimes use my HRM when I'm doing higher intensity exercise as it's all high intensity when I run but if I do 6 miles in one hour or 7 miles in an hour, I'm not burning the same amount of calories in that time even though calling it high intensity across the board would result in the same amount of APs.

Kimberley

I think I will play around with it for a couple weeks, I WI tomorrow. This Week starting Tomorrow I will eat all my WPA's and at least 1/4 of my AP's , more if I honestly feel I need them, you know really listen to my body, and eat when I am hungry. Everyone is different so the scale may not show results for a couple weeks but I will know the truth and that's all that matters to me.

April

HW 370/CW 307.4/ GW 150

TEAM RED

WOW I didn't realize it was so important to eat those AP's. Based on my daily walk, I earn about 2 AP's a day, 5 days a week for a total of 10 AP's. Normally, I struggle with eating all of my WPA's and if I use most of them on the weekends then I end up seeing a gain on the scale when I weigh-in Mondays. Do you all have any tips?

Way to go on the workouts April!! That's fantastic!!! The water aerobics sounds like a lot of fun.:bcb_bravo:bcb_bravo

HW:235

SW: 197.5

CW: 193.0

GW: 140

~*Amy*~

weight.png

I had trouble with this too. If I feelt like I realy wanted to use the weekly point alowances then I would split them up 5 for each day of the week. Try to convince your self the weekend isnt special and make saturday and sunday your begining of the week

I wasnt using my ap's on the days I worked out and I stayed the same weight for 2 weeks then I started adding them in and I started dropping the weight. :) Good luck

weight.png

Begining Weight: 226

CW: 185

GW: 140

Height: 5'11

Start Date : 02/17/09 230lbs

Short term goal : 01/01/2010 165