Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Pineapple Oat Bran Muffins: 2 Pt.

I printed this out ages ago from Charski...Made them yesterday. It's a KEEPER! Try them! You won't be sorry~ :D (They were hidden deep in another thread, so I posted them here.)WWCarol

"If you're interested in trying oat bran, here's my favorite:

Pineapple Oat Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups oat bran

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 1/4 cups nonfat milk (I use Vanilla Silk soymilk)

8 ounces crushed canned pineapple including juice

1/2 cup egg substitute

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 tablespoon baking powder

Mix together oat bran through egg subtitute and let sit for a few minutes while you mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add dry to wet and stir just to blend. Fill 12 muffin cups which have been sprayed with nonstick spray and bake at 350* about 20-22 minutes, til pick inserted comes out clean. I point these at 2 points per muffin.

I frequently add one or more of the following:

dried cranberries

dried cherries

fresh or frozen blueberries

chopped pitted dates

chopped nuts

I also add 5 tablespoons of psyllium husk, this ups the fiber content considerably but makes the muffins more "dense" - which I like anyway!

Another favorite which adds no additional points is to sprinkle the tops before baking with a mixture of Splenda and cinnamon.

I usually make a double batch so I can use a whole can of crushed pineapple; besides, DH eats these 2 per day so they don't last long. They freeze well too!"

Charski

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I made this recipe last night and took the muffins to work today (snack day today and I wanted to bring something point friendly). These muffins went fast! I added about 1/2 cup of blueberries. Great recipe, thanks!

Cheree

Get set with the right mind set.

Guest raidermom

I'm making these today. I made the ones with the wheat bran instead of the oat bran and DH really liked them....I prefer oat bran so that's what I'm making today! I'm going to substitute Splenda for the brown sugar to lower the points to 1.5 per muffin.

I'll report back... ;)

Guest raidermom

Ok...they're done! I like them with Splenda so I will probably stick with that...hey....a half a point is a half a point! ;)

Personally, I like these a bit better than the wheat bran version. But then I LOVE the taste of oats. I can't wait to try the different variations...

Carol's right...this ones a KEEPER and I will be making it often. Even the kids like this recipe.

......ok, off to mark that second muffin in my journal. :rolleyes:

I finally made these yesterday and I think they *would* have been good, but they were bitter!

Has anyone else out there had this problem before? I'm not sure if I can stomach eating the other 11 muffins! :rolleyes:

Suzie :salut

Guest raidermom

Bummer! Mine don't taste bitter at all. But someone on another muffin thread posted the same problem (see Amazing Muffins, just below this thread) and WWCarol suggested that one, the baking powder may be old and if it's not, to try a non-aluminum brand baking powder. Rumford is one brand.

The person bought that particular brand and it solved the problem!

Btw - To test the freshness of your baking powder, mix 2 teaspoons of the baking powder into a cup of water. If there is an immediate reaction of foaming and fizzing, the baking powder is okay to use. If the reaction is at all delayed or weak, throw it away and buy a fresh can.

HTH!

Thanks, Cheryl! :D

I bet that old baking powder was the problem. I think I bought it when I started grad school...almost 5 years ago. :rolleyes: I just assumed it never went bad.

Do you think they're okay to eat? They don't taste good but I can drown out the bitterness with a glass of milk by the side.

Mine were bitter with an aluminum-containing baking powder. I am going to switch to a non-aluminum one. In the meantime, you can substitute cream of tartar + baking soda for baking powder (1/4 tsp. baking soda + 5/8 tsp. cream of tartar = 1 tsp. baking powder). I tried that the last time I made the muffins, and that worked okay. I don't remember why I have a bunch of cream of tartar on hand, but I do, so it used a little of it up.

Cathy

Bump.. going to try these with pears... in the mood for something different. I'll report back smile.gif

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

Guest raidermom

I love pears in my Baked Oatmeal...so I'm sure it'll be great in the muffins!

I'll anxiously be awaiting your review! :D

Ohhhh.. I loved it with pears and nutmeg!

What I did: I chopped up one cup of pear halves for the pineapple, and replaced the cinnamon with 1/2 tsp nutmeg.

Yummmmy!!

Remember, we're all in this together...I'm pulling for you!

Red Green

~~~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to God

~~~

-30!

Well, I finally tried these with oat bran and with non-aluminum baking powder, and I really liked them!

I did make a couple of substitutions, though. Instead of brown sugar and pineapple, I added a cup of peach sauce that I bought at Trader Joe's. I also tossed in a cup of frozen blueberries. My blueberry-peach oat bran muffins were awesome! :D

COOL, Suzie!

I'm glad you made them! Reminds me I haven't made them in awhile...I've been "stuck" on Baked Oatmeal for a l-o-n-g time! ((smile))

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

bump up for Huney

Selma/Shana1

Highest weight, 350# 1992

Started WW, 7/6/01

303.6/218.4/under 215

100#s gone, 5/15/06

"If you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind. Like a bridge over troubled waters, I will ease your mind." Courtesy of Paul Simon

MmmMmm, printing out! Thanks Selma! (I'm going to have to make a trip to Walmart for some of the ingredients, but they sound delish)

HW: 264

CW: 260.2

GW: 1 lb at a time

"Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip."

Arnold H. Glasgow

Guest sexymama

Your muffin recipes sound yummy.

I am looking for a muffin recipe with more common ingredients

I don`t have buttermilk and molasses any ideas?

1 tsp lemon or vinegar per cup of milk ~ let sit 10 minutes and stir. It works, I have been doing it for years, my grandma's little secret!

MrsD

I make a choice to choose the JOY of the LORD today...and tomorrow...and to make each day count for HIM.

start weight 174

current weight 161

recommittment loss 3 pounds

These look good!

How pineapple-y do they taste?

VANESSA

274/248.5/under 150

Size 26/20/8ish

1/4/08: -10

2/1/08: -8.5

3/7/08: -0

4/4/08: -4.5