Health Discovery Network
katiasasha

Question on hunger/fullness

Hello everyone!

I wanted to pick all of your wise brains on this one. I'm doing points, but lean towards SF foods as much as possible. Either way, I stay within my points, but I often eat to the point of being stuffed. Stuffed as in not just full, but physically uncomfortable. I've long used food to quell anxiety, stress, and just about any other emotion, so I feel like it's just a very bad habit to eat to that point. Even though I'm within my points, and I'm eating healthy food, I don't really think it's healthy to eat this way, and I certainly don't think it's going to help me be successful long-term. I'd love to hear more about how you all have learned to manage your fullness and to eat to a healthy place instead of stuffed. Thank you in advance! :salut

Aimee

weight.png

BlueTeamSig.jpg

ITA with you that eating this way is not going to help you in the long run.

If you are 'uncomfortable' when you overeat, there must be some benefit that you are getting from feeling this way. Perhaps you could think about what that might be... why do we keep eating when we are not hungry? What are we 'hungry' for?

A few months ago at a WW meeting we discussed 'Eating' our emotions and we looked at several emotions and thought about what would satisfy them, because food really does not.. for example

The Emotion/Feeling..............................What it needs

1. Insecurity Confidence

2. Sad/Depressed Happiness

3. Worried/Anxious Calm/Control

4. Bored Stimulation

5. Frustrated Control

6. Hurt Healing

7. Trapped Freedom

8. Over-looked Respect/Validation

9. Lonely Contact/People

Even though you might be staying within your points values for the day or week/you really should try to learn to stop eating when you are no longer hungry.... some day you may want to stop counting points, and this lesson will help you then certainly.

I wish you luck... emotional eating can be a tough thing to overcome. There is a little saying... if hunger is not the probem, food is not the solution!

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

I don't know what to tell you with regard to the points system, But I can say that what you describe is one of the main benefits of Core/Simply Filling technique is that you only eat when you are hungry and then only to physical satisfaction and not beyond and if you get hungry again in an hour, fine you eat more.

One of the hard things for us as well is to pay attention to your body and stop when satisfied and before FULL. I don't see any reason why you could not still do that even counting points, though obviously you would have less points I assume if you stop eating earlier.

You could also try Simply Filling technique in total for a couple weeks or so while you ascertain your eating to physical satisfaction level.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

Hello everyone!

I wanted to pick all of your wise brains on this one. I'm doing points, but lean towards SF foods as much as possible. Either way, I stay within my points, but I often eat to the point of being stuffed. Stuffed as in not just full, but physically uncomfortable. I've long used food to quell anxiety, stress, and just about any other emotion, so I feel like it's just a very bad habit to eat to that point. Even though I'm within my points, and I'm eating healthy food, I don't really think it's healthy to eat this way, and I certainly don't think it's going to help me be successful long-term. I'd love to hear more about how you all have learned to manage your fullness and to eat to a healthy place instead of stuffed. Thank you in advance! :salut

Aimee I have a number of thoughts on this.

First, maybe it would help if you switch to Simply Filling (not counting points for filling foods) as you would get out of the "I am staying within my points" mentality, and perhaps would just focus on your feelings of satiety.

Second, are you meeting the 9GHGs every day? They help fill you up with healthy foods and in general I have found it HARD to overeat doing core/SF technique. If you are filling up on non filling foods too it is easier to overeat calories moreso than if really focusing on filling foods...

Third, buy the book The Beck Diet Solution. It's all about the thinking/behavior part of overeating and it is a wonderful adjunct to the WW plan.

Fourth, do the Healthy Habits quiz in book 4. And look at the advice there. Like someone already said, what are you trying to accomplish with this behavior? Behind every behavior there is a positive intention (WW quote). What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to relieve stress, boredome, etc...How can you meet that need in an appropriate way.

Fifth, What foods do you tend to overeat? Maybe you need to manage them better. Portion them out. Don't have them around right now. Whatever works for you. For me, I had that problem a few times at the very beginning, because you do become uncomfortably full when you overeat core/filling foods; however, that discomfort was enough for me to stop doing it....There are still filling foods I have to be careful with and portion out into individual containers to help myself stop.

Sixth, start focusing on some techniques that help you recognize when you are still comfortably satisfied (not stuffed). One that Judith Beck suggests is stopping when you feel like you could still go for a brisk walk. And I add on, why not GO for the brisk walk! A great way to check it out AND get activity. You can also listen for the "sigh". You will naturally take a deep breath as you stomach begins to get full and crowd out your diaphragm. You can count how many times you chew. Set a minimum number. You can set a timer and try to make a meal last longer. We all know that it takes a while for the brain to catch up with the stomach in terms of feeling full. Try SITTING DOWN when you eat for ALL foods. Partly we overeat by eating MINDLESSLY, while standing or multitasking. It is much easier to overeat this way.

Okay, those are some of my thoughts on it....:salut

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I can see why you might be worried about doing SF "only", but like Lynn suggests, it might be a way out of your uncomfortable habit.

Also, Beck has an exercise where you sit to eat, and do it without: reading/watching TV (listening to music is fine). All you do is pay attention to your food and surroundings, and chew slow-ly. Put your fork down between bites. Breathe. You want to make your meal last longer than 20 minutes...

That's the way that I first felt the "sigh". I had a timer on, and when I sighed I looked at it and it was 21 minutes + seconds...! :bcb_happy

Also, you could decide to eat/graze throughout the day (say, on a week-end). Plan out your Good Health guidelines for the day; have your foods ready; and then just eat some food and put it away...knowing you'll eat more soon.

If you're working on feeling satisfied, try and eat only to 80%. COMFORTABLE. Maybe even "slightly" hungry. (NOT "uncomfortable"!) :salut

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions. Work up your courage to try SF for a week (or a day) :bcb_smile. Sounds like you've got some bad habits going with your points-counting right now~ :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Hi Aimee,

I had trouble at the beginning because I felt stuffed when I ate all of my points. I was used to a "diet" meaning hunger, you know? After a few months I added exercise and as the pounds came, I had to deduct points. I suddenly felt like I was not eating enough even though my weight loss had slowed down to a crawl. When I looked at it honestly I saw that even though I was staying within points, the choices were not filling enough. I switched over to SiFi a few weeks ago and after a bumpy first couple of weeks, I think it totally rocks.

Because I am basically a sceptic, so the first few weeks I counted points. I found that some days I ate more points than others, but by the end o fthe week, my daily average was close to what I was doing with flex. the difference? I ate when hungry. I do still have some trouble with the eat until satisfied concept with some foods. So for those I still weigh and measure out what would be a "normal" portion and then start with 1/2 of it on my plate. Sometimes I eat the other half, sometimes not, but I know I am staying within a reasonable limit. I also find that it is much easier to get all of the dairy, oils, etc in becuase I don't have that bone in my head telling me the two points for oil should be used for a treat.

Since starting SiFi 6 weeks ago I've lost 6 pounds.

Laurie

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. Maya Angelou

HW 274/SW 247/CW 194 :bcb_up

Thank you all for the great suggestions and tips. I really appreciate it. :salut

I have the Beck book (and workbook!), but have only skimmed them. I will pull them out and start in on them more seriously with the day-by-day exercises.

I am very drawn to SF and think that it could be very helpful for me, and I really love a lot of the foods and eat them regularly. I eat a lot of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, core soups/chilis, etc. I think my big reluctance to going completely Core/SF has been that some of my mainstay foods I would need to use WPA for, and I would be over 35 easily. For example, try as I might, I just can't get used to ff milk and cheeses. I've tried many times and I just don't like the taste at all. I use 1% milk and light/reduced fat/2% cheeses. Also, some of the lean meats that I eat quite a bit aren't SF, such lowfat chicken-turkey sausages, Trader Joe's turkey meatballs, etc. I counted up a few average days, and most days I have about 10-15 points that aren't SF. Mind you these aren't empty calories, like 100-calorie packs or sweets, but what I consider pretty healthy foods, just not SF.

Any advice for getting around this part? I know a big part has to be being willing to do something differently if I want different results. Overeating within my points isn't working for me because it supports the habit of overeating/using food for emotions that got me here (overweight) in the first place. I then overeat over my points as well. Thanks again in advance!

Aimee

weight.png

BlueTeamSig.jpg

I have advice on the milk part. I was used to 2% milk when I started, so I started by taking a gal on 2% and a gal of 1% and made 1 1/2% for a couple weeks then I went to 1% straight then I went to 1/2 mixing 1% and Skim, I stayed on that quite a while, then finally I went to all skim and it is fine. I have no advice on the cheese as I am in the same boat and IF I use any cheese now it is a low fat one but I seldom use it now anyway.

The trick I used on the sausages was to get the Vegetable ones, several decent brands mentioned on here, and then when I have them I make 1 of the regular ones in your case the chicken or turkey ones and for each bite of the vegetable one I have a small bit of the "Other" with it, makes a big difference in the taste for me and way lowers the points needed.

anyway those are tricks that have worked for me. I get no extra points because I cannot excercise AT ALL but I still usually end up within my points for the week sometimes with many left over.

Good luck.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference