Health Discovery Network
Judy43

OT, Our trip so far in our 5th wheel

The internet has been up and down most of the day at this RV park in Albuquerque, NM. We arrived here on Mon. and visited the Museum of Natural History which was very interesting but was more than we could see in the time we had. Tues. we took a hot air balloon ride. It was awesome eventhough I got sick toward the end of the ride. We had to be there at 6:30 am so it was rather cold as the sun had not risen let. I had on layers but was still cold. I should have worn a t-shirt under my long underwear so I could strip down to the t-shirt. I think the reason I got dizzy and nauseous was because I got too warm. Tomorrow we are leaving for another RV park 2 1/2 hour drive from here.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Today we drove from Albuquerque, NM to Las Vegas, NM. We visited a Wildlife Refuge near by and did some birding. Las Vegas, NM has an interesting history. You can read about it at:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NM-LasVegas.html

We will be here only one night and tomorrow we drive to Colorado Springs, CO where our DD, DSIL and DGDS live.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

20,000 pts.-100%

Friday we drove from Las Vegas, NM to Colorado Springs, CO where our DD #1, DSIL and DGDS live. We put our trailer in storage at a RV park in Colorado Springs. While we were still in NM we stopped to see Union Fort which was very interesting. Here is a website on the fort:

http://www.sangres.com/nationalparks/fortunion.htm

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

I have posted as we have just been doing things with family like playing games, bowling etc.

Yesterday, DH and I visited the Peterson Airforce Museum of Air and Space in Colorado Springs. Not exactly my thing but I enjoyed watching DH enjoy it.

Today we visited the grounds of Glen Eyrie Castle in Colorado Springs.

http://www.gleneyrie.org/ (main page)

http://www.gleneyrie.org/us/ministries/gleneyrie/aboutus/gallery/ (photos)

and

http://www.gleneyrie.org/us/ministries/gleneyrie/castle/group/gallery

http://www.gleneyrie.org/us/ministries/gleneyrie/aboutus/history (history of the castle)

The castle was originally built for William Jackson Palmer founder of Colorado Springs and his wife Queen. In 1953 the Navigators bought it and turned it into a retreat center etc.

One of the trails on the property leads to Dorthy Falls. It was listed as being difficult. At the beginning of the hike I kept thinking how can they think this is difficult. Well it turned out to be very difficult and I do not believe I actually hiked this trail. While the first part was a trail with bridges across the stream. The remainder of the trail we had to cross the stream by logs or stepping from stone to stone. Then walk along a trail a short distance and then cross the stream again by logs or stepping from stone to stone. We kept having to go back and forth across the stream until we reached the falls. I did it with help from DH and another man that happened to be hiking the trail at the same time as us. I am surprised that I could do it when my balance is not the best and I am very stiff due to Fibromyalgia. I sure could not have done it when I weighed 92 lbs more than I do now. I feel really good about doing it eventhough I am really sore now. DH and I are going back on Mon. for a tour of the castle. While there we saw deer, Big Horn Sheep and a Smooth Skin Green Snake

http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/herpatlas/coherpatlas/cdow_herpetofaunal_atlas_species_snake_liochlorophisvernalis.htm

I have never seen a green snake before.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

I'm so PROUD of you, Judy!:bcb_grin

What a feat! :strong:

It sounds so beautiful...all those streams and rocks in the stream...

You're a lucky girl! :bcb_bigsm A lucky girl on a Big Adventure.

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Judy,

Thank you for sharing your vacation with us!

I have enjoyed reading the places your are visiting! :bcb_happy

~*Melodee*~

th_flowers.gif

Judy thanks so much for continuing to share your adventures with us! AND CONGRATULATIONS on making that HIKE!!! Sounds challenging and worth it!!!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I thought I would be really sore the next day after the hike but actually was not. I was in more sore the day of the hike. My right ankle bothered me some the day after. Probably because I was having to put my feet at different angles when crossing the logs or rocks.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Our DD and DSIL spent Friday and Saturday nights away and will return sometime today (Sun.) so we have had DGDS. Of course we are having a great time. Sat. we took DGDS to Wildlife Experience north of Colorado Springs. We were really disappointed because it was geared to younger kids. DGDS are 8 and 10. We left to go get some lunch and should have eaten at the Cafe at Wildlife Experience. I ordered a bunless burger which came with salad and cottage cheese. I gave the cottage cheese to DH (I am allergic to dairy). I had to send the burger back to be cooked more. The burger tasted greasy so I put it between napkins and could not believe how much grease the napkin soaked up and then had to use another napkin to soak up the grease on my plate. My stomach felt queasy after eating it. The salad was just iceberg lettuce and 1 small slice of tomatoe.

We went back to Wildlife Experince to see the "Jungle Lady". She had various reptiles and a couple of Hedgehogs. A couple of animals were albinos. This exhibit saved the day. Our DGDS thoughly enjoyed it and so did DH and I.

Wildlife Expierence: http://www.thewildlifeexperience.org/

Jungle Lady: http://www.thejunglelady.com/

Afterwards we came home and played games with our DGDS. Today we will probably do the same. Yesterday's weather was rainy and foggy but today is sunny so if it is not too cold we may go for a bike ride.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Today DH and I went on a bike ride with DGDS and a neighbor friend of DGDS. They really gave me a work out but it felt good. We stopped at a nearby pond where the kids explored. Tomorrow we go back to Glen Eyrie Castle for a tour of the castle.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

DH and I went back to Glen Eyrie for a tour of the castle. It was very interesting and I would love to go back sometime when the flowers are in bloom.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Great job on the hike!

Your trip sounds amazing - tahnk you for continuing to share with us.

It's almost like reading a 'buddy blog'!!

Tomorrow (Wed.) we leave our daughter's and son-in-law's home. I am sad to be leaving our two granddaughters. I am going to miss them. While we have been here we have seen DGD #1 who is 10 1/2 at her running practice, running meet, volleyball practice and volleyball game. We have seen DGD #2 who is 8 1/2 at her swim team practice. I am going to brag as I am really proud of both of them. Tonight at DGD swim team practice she swam for 1 hour and we are amazed at how good a swimmer she is.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

It was a long drive yesterday or maybe it seemed like that because WY is so desolate. We have been told of another hwy which is supposed to be more scenic so tomorrow when we drive to our next destination we will take that route. Now the area around the town Fort Laramie is pretty. Today we toured Fort Laramie. My great grandfather was stationed here during the Civil War. I left my name and address with the librarian and she said she would search through their records to see if there is any information on my great grandfather or his unit. I had brought my material and she made copies of it. I doubt she will find much if anything. After seeing Fort Laramie we went to look at another National Historic Landmark near Guernsey, WY which was the Oregon Trail wagon ruts. It was an emotional experience to stand where my ancestors had traveled.

If anybody is interested in history here is the website: http://www.nps.gov/archive/fola/laramie.htm

http://home.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/site7.htm

Today the winds have been 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. I was told by the RV owner that this area always has winds of at least 15 to 10 mph.

Judy

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

I mentioned earlier in our trip that a tire on our trailer blew on the freeway. So that would not happen again, isn't that right. Wrong! Today East of Laramie, WY another tire on our trailer blew on the freeway. At least this time we did not have to wait as long for help to arrive and our toilet was not stopped up like the first time.

DH found driving today difficult and our gas mileage was way down. We had a head wind most of the drive today. We have been fortunate until today in that we had tail winds. The wind in WY makes it difficult to open the trailer's door without it flying open and banging against the trailer.

Judy

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Today we drove from Rawlins, WY to Ogden, UT. It was a very pretty drive. At first I thought the desert with sage brush in WY was not pretty but then I read that the sage brush supported Pronghorn Antelope, Sage Grouse and various other wildlife and that WY has more Pronghorn than other states and then the desert became more interesting. Besides I enjoyed seeing the Pronghorn and Prairie Dogs. The drive in UT was very pretty with interesting geological formations of various colors. We enjoyed the drive even though DH and I were very tired. DH got 4 hours of sleep and I only slept for 2 hours. We had a family crisis (can not say more) so we were waiting for phone calls. Thankfully everything turned out alright. Tomorrow we drive to Twin Falls, ID where we will see friends and probably will stay through Mon. as there are quite a few things to do near Twin Falls.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Judy, what kind of tires are they? We had two tires blow on our pop up on a trip to Canada in 2004. When we got home, I googled and found TONS of things online about these tires being defective. They were used on lots of different types of campers and the result was exploding tires, one after another. Just like happened with yours...I remember they started with a "D", but I am not sure of the name, Dunlop perhaps? They were owned by Goodyear and it helped that my brother in law is an executive with Goodyear :bcb_wink3 when it came to cutting through the red tape to get reimbursed for the damage to the trailer.

It is SO fun to hear your travels and the things you're learning...you didn't go to Yellowstone when you were in Wyoming?

Lynn

One of the 4 tires was replaced before we left on our trip as there was a bulge. The other 3 tires including the 2 that blew were the original tires for our 2004 trailer which we bought used. We have learned on this trip that tires should be replaced about every 5 years even if the tread is still good as we risk having blown tires that are 5 years or older. If we had replaced the other 3 tires before we left on our trip this would not have happened. Also it has been recommended by other people with 5th wheels that we get a higher grade of tire. All four tires have been replaced and the only original tire is the spare. Both of us have seen Yellowstone before. I was 19 years old and my DD just drove through so I want to see it again on another trip.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Sunday we drove from Ogden, UT to Twin Falls, ID. It was a pretty drive. We met our friends for dinner and had a nice visit, caught up on what each of our grown children are doing and shared photos. We had a nice visit.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Mon. we saw Shoshone Falls. We have seen it before but it was when there was not much water. This time there was a lot more water and it is very pretty. This link tells about it:

http://www.visitidaho.org/thingstodo/view-attraction.aspx?id=30839

The rest of the day we just took it easy and relaxed.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Tues. we drove from Twin Falls to Weiser, ID. The RV park is pretty with trees and a stream and a good area for bird watching.

Wed. morning DH washed and dried the dishes, vacuumed the carpet and mopped floors so I could do some birding. I have a wonderful DH. I saw a Bullock's Oriole which I have not seen for some time and I also saw a Bullock's Oriole nest. We then drove to Lewiston with a side trip to see Oregon Trail wagon ruts.

We are having a nice visit with my uncle and aunt. We also visited the Lewis and Clark Discovery Center. The exhibits were so so but the movie was good and I learned some new things about Sacajawea that I did not know.

http://lewisandclarktrailwatch.blogspot.com/2005/10/new-discovery-center-at-hells-gate.html

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM44YR

Tonight my uncle's and aunt's oldest child and only son and his wife came for dinner. We had a nice visit.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

We left Lewiston, ID Sat. and drove to Soap Lake in Washington State.

On a scale of 0 to 10 the PH of Soap Lake is 9.8 and it contains minerals listed in mg/Liters: sodium - 5760, bicarbonate - 2480, sulfate - 2540, carbonate - 3840, chloride - 2290, and potassium - 504 plus other minerals in smaller amounts. Here is a web site about the lake:

http://www.soaplakewa.com/

Yesterday afternoon and this morning I walked down to the lake and did some bird watching and also walked down a couple of dirt roads where there was a change to desert vegetation. One of the birds I saw which is only here during spring and summer and Western WA does not have is the American Avocet, a very colorful and interesting shore bird.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Avocet/lifehistory

Today we drove a short distance to the Lenore Caves. Here are some photos of the cave and area:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Lenore%20Caves%20WA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I found the following on the internet:

"The Lenore caves are a series of overhangs along the cliffs at the Grand Coulee and they exist in one of the largest volcanic regions on earth. The caves were formed by a plucking of basalt combined with water erosion, and are geologically different than most caverns."

We then walked another trail and did some birding and then drove to Park Lake where we had our lunch.

Tonight we are going to go to Grand Coulee Dam and see a laser light show. The brochure says the dam is used as a giant movie screen while lasers dance across its face telling the story of the Columbia River & history of the Grand Coulee Dam.

Tomorrow we are going to Banks Lake to do some bird watching.

Would you believe that the temperature got up to 89 degrees today with a humidity of 32% and the pool at the RV park is not open. I saw them painting it this morning.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

I saw something funny today. It was a Marmot chasing a dove and the Marmot was being chased and pecked by a blackbird.

We are going to see the laser show tomorrow night instead of tonight as we are both tired.

Judy S.

20,000 pts.-100%

Judy, this is SO fun!!! THANKS for sharing your trip with us! I am very impressed by bird watchers!! I wish I knew so much about birds!!!

Lynn