Health Discovery Network
cybergranny

recipes from WW Cookbooks

Hi buddies. Here are some of the recipes that I promised you a couple of weeks ago. I will get more posted as I get them organized. These all came from various WW Cookbooks that I own and I have made these recipes more than once so for me, they are all keepers. I will post some more recipes soon. Hope you enjoy.

* Exported from MasterCook *3423262555_6b30656469_m.jpg

*Beef, Rice, and Root Vegetable Soup

Recipe By :WW Ultimate Flex and Core Cookbook

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:25

Categories : Beef Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Sometimes, I will add winter squash to this hearty soup. I use butternut, acorn, or other firm squashes.

1 tablespoon canola oil

3/4 pound top round steak -- trimmed and cut into 1/2" dice

4 medium carrots -- peeled and chopped

2 cups turnips -- peeled and chopped

1 large onion -- thinly sliced

2 bay leaves

3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds -- crushed

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme -- crumbled

4 cups beef broth

3 cups water

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

2 cups spinach leaves -- packed and finely shredded

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add one third of the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about three minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining beef.

Add the carrots, turnips, onion, bay leaves, caraway seeds, and thyme to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about three minutes. Stir in the beef with any accumulated juices, the broth, water, tomato paste, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves; stir in the spinach and brown rice.

Start to Finish Time:

"1:00"

T(cook time):

"0:35"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 259 Calories; 8g Fat (28.3% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 982mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 5 points per 1 1/2 cup serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *3424069882_2d66d51f2a_m.jpg

*Chilled Tomato and Shrimp Soup

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :1:15

Categories : Fish and Seafood Soups

This is so good and so refreshing! We love it when we get a load of fresh shrimp and don't want to freeze it. The tomatoes just go so well with the shrimp. You can add a half cup of coarsely chopped bell pepper, any color you like.

3 large tomatoes -- coarsely chopped

2 cups chicken broth -- reduced sodium

1 large onion -- coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cloves garlic -- coarsely chopped

1 pinch salt

1 cup buttermilk

1 pound shrimp -- frozen, peeled, deveined and chopped into chunks

1/2 cup cucumber -- peeled, seeded and diced

1/4 cup fresh dill

1/4 cup fresh chives -- minced

Combine the tomatoes, broth, onion, tomato paste, garlic, salt and pepper in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the onion is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the Dutch oven from heat and let cool slightly.

Pour the soup in two batches into a blender or food processor and puree. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least one hour. Just before serving, stir in the shrimp, cucumber, dill and chives.

Start to Finish Time:

"1:40"

T(cook time):

"0:25"

Per Serving: 137 Calories; 2g Fat (15.7% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 116mg Cholesterol; 481mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat.

* Exported from MasterCook *3424069924_1382fe8d55_m.jpg

*Fennel and Onion Smothered Steak

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15

Categories : Beef Entrees

In our house, we adore fennel. I am always finding new ways to use it but this recipe was the first one I ever tried and is still one of the best.

3 teaspoons olive oil

1 large fennel bulb -- thinly sliced

1 large onion -- thinly sliced

4 cloves garlic -- sliced

1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup beef broth

10 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed -- two steaks, cut in half crosswise

Heat two teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the fennel, onion, garlic, tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel and onion are very soft and golden, about 11 minutes. Add the broth and cook until almost evaporated, about five minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

Sprinkle the steaks with the remaining salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the steaks and cook until browned, about two minutes on each side. Add the fennel mixture and cook, stirring constantly to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, until the steaks are done to taste and the liquid thickens, about one minute for medium rare or about three minutes for well done. Serve at once.

Start to Finish Time:

"0:35"

T(cook time):

"0:20"

Per Serving: 222 Calories; 13g Fat (53.8% calories from fat); 17g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 788mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 5 points per serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *3423262703_892bef3a69_m.jpg

*Red Snapper Cakes with Nectarine Citrus Salad

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:20

Categories : Entrees Fish and Seafood

Wow! Are these fish cakes ever so yummy! You can use any firm fleshed white meat fish in this recipe. Just use the freshest thing they have in your store. You could also substitute peaches for the nectarines but I find that they don't hold their shape quite as well. Still, good in a pinch.

3 nectarines -- cut into 1/4" thick slices

2 oranges -- peeled and cut into sections

1/2 small red onion -- thinly sliced

3 tablespoons fresh basil -- thinly sliced

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 pound red snapper -- fillets, skinned and finely chopped

1 large egg

3 tablespoons cornmeal

1 small shallot -- minced

1/2 jalapeno chile pepper -- seeded and finely chopped

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro -- chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 teaspoons olive oil

To make the salad, combine the nectarines, oranges, onion, basil, and lemon juice in a bowl.

Combine the snapper, egg, cornmeal, shallot, jalapeno, cilantro, and salt in a bowl. Form into four cakes.

Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the cakes and cook until golden and cooked through, about five minutes on each side. Serve with the salad.

Start to Finish Time:

"0:30"

T(cook time):

"0:10"

Per Serving: 288 Calories; 8g Fat (24.6% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 95mg Cholesterol; 358mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 5 points per serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *3423262743_4cfd6f50f2_m.jpg

*Roast Asparagus and Plum Tomatoes

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:10

Categories : Sides

Here again is a very versatile recipe. You can use any vegetables you like. Roasting them just makes them so much more flavorful than steamed or cooked in a pot on the stove. More bang for your buck I would say!

1 pound fresh asparagus -- trimmed and cut into 4" lengths

1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes -- halved lenghtwise

2 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar

1 clove garlic

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Arrange the oven rack in the lower third of the oven. P)reheat to 425°.

Toss the asparagus and tomatoes with one teaspoon of the oil in a roasting pan. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer, with the tomatoes cut side up. Roast until the tomatoes are lightly charred and the asparagus are just tender, 12-16 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, the vinegar, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a cup. Transfer the vegetables to a platter and drizzle with the dressing.

Start to Finish Time:

"0:25"

T(cook time):

"0:15"

Per Serving: 86 Calories; 4g Fat (32.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 16mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 1 point per serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *3423262597_f9fabc09fe_m.jpg

Chicken and Quinoa Salad with Dried Fruit

Recipe By :WW Everybody Loves Chicken Cookbook

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Poultry Salads

This recipe can also be tweaked as you like or to fit the ingredients you have on hand. I usually use either regular raisins or golden raisins because I don't have currants on hand. Mirin is readily available in most grocery stores these days and is an inexpensive ingredient. If you don't have craisins, you can either leave them out or use any other dried fruit you have on hand.

3 tablespoons rice vinegar -- seasoned

2 tablespoons rice wine -- (mirin)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons fresh ginger -- peeled and minced

1 teaspoon sesame oil -- dark

2 cups water

1 cup quinoa

1 pound chicken breast, no skin, no bone, R-T-C

1/2 cup scallions -- finely chopped

1/2 cup fresh cilantro -- finely chopped

1/3 cup dried cranberries

1/3 cup dried currants

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, mirin (you could use reduced sodium chicken broth if you prefer no wine), soy sauce, ginger, and oil in a small bowl until blended; set aside.

Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl; let cool about 10 minutes.

Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on the outside and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board; let rest about five minutes. Cut the chicken into 3/4 inch pieces.

Add the chicken to the quinoa. Stir in the scallions, cilantro, cranberries, currants, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the dressing and toss well to coat.

Per Serving: 238 Calories; 4g Fat (17.0% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 401mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 4 points per serving. If using boneless, skinless chicken thighs as the original recipe calls for, the calculation is 6 points per serving.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moo Shu Chicken3424069948_ef4935bd29_m.jpg

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Poultry

This is a really easy way to make Asian style food quickly. We like to have it on the weekend for a quick lunch. I just mix up the filling and refrigerate it and when we are busy outside doing yard work, it takes no time at all to make the quick wraps.

1 teaspoon canola oil

1 pound chicken breast, no skin, no bone, R-T-C -- or thighs, cut into thin strips

1 small onion -- thinly sliced

1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- grated

2 cloves garlic -- minced

2 cups napa cabbage -- shredded

1/4 pound mushrooms

1 medium carrot -- cut into matchstick sticks

3 tablespoons hoisin sauce

4 whole wheat tortillas

Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Pour in the oil and swirl to coat the pan, then add the chicken, onion, ginger, and garlic. Stir fry until the chicken is browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes.

Add the cabbage, mushrooms, and carrot; stir fry until the carrot is crisp tender, about five minutes. Add the hoisin sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about one minute longer. Remove the skillet from the heat.

Heat the tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/4 of the chicken mixture on each tortilla. Roll up and serve.

Per Serving: 346 Calories; 7g Fat (18.7% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 70mg Cholesterol; 643mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 8 points per serving according to the WW Cookbook. I get 7 points if I use whole wheat tortillas and 6 points if I use fat free tortillas.

* Exported from MasterCook *3424070022_d2070a591d_m.jpg

Skewered Sesame Meatballs with Sweet-Sour Sauce

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Appetizers Poultry

The first time I made these meatballs, I was looking for a 'different' meatball to take to a party as an appetizer. They were so successful I was emailing everyone the recipe the next day! I generally use Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs found in most grocery stores now) instead of regular bread crumbs because they are lighter and crisper.

1 pound ground turkey

7 ounces waterchestnut, canned -- drained and finely chopped

1/4 cup bread crumbs -- dry

2 egg whites

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 large shallot -- finely chopped

1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- peeled and minced

1 tablespoon sesame seeds

3/4 cup sweet and sour sauce -- for dipping

3 ounces snow pea pod, fresh -- 36 pods, trimmed

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a jelly roll pan with nonstick spray (or use a cookie sheet with a lip)

Combine the turkey, water chestnuts, bread crumbs, egg whites, soy sauce, shallot, and ginger in a medium bowl until well blended. Shape the mixture into 36 meatballs and place in the pan. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds then lightly spray with nonstick spray. Bake until the meatballs are cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the snow peas and boil for one minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking. Drain again.

Bend a snow pea in half and thread onto a wooden toothpick, then skewer a meatball onto the same pick. Repeat with the remaining 35 snow peas and meatballs. Pile the skewers onto a platter and serve the dipping sauce alongside.

Per Serving: 105 Calories; 4g Fat (31.8% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 30mg Cholesterol; 286mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Barbara, thanks so much. These look great. I'm especially interested in the meatballs and the Mu Shu. YUM.

Selma/Shana1

Highest weight, 350# 1992

Started WW, 7/6/01

303.6/218.4/under 215

100#s gone, 5/15/06

"If you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind. Like a bridge over troubled waters, I will ease your mind." Courtesy of Paul Simon

Thanks Barbara. I've printed some up! If in your travels through your WW books you should come across a recipe for Tri-colored Pasta Salad I would love the recipe. I used to make it during the summer all the time, but lost the book, and now I wing it (but it never comes out as good)! It is a really old cookbook, way before points!!!

:salutMT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

MT, is it possible that this is the recipe you are talking about? It came from a WW cookbook that I have from the 70's.

Tri-color Pasta Salad

Ingredients

1/2 cup Cooked tri-color spiral-shaped pasta

1 Plum tomato, diced

1/2 cup Shredded carrot

1/2 cup Shredded broccoli florets

1/4 cup Drained canned black beans

2 tbsp Shredded low-fat Monterey Jack Cheese

2 tbsp Fat-free Italian dressing

Preparation

Toss together all ingredients and serve

I think this is 3 points for the whole thing if I remember correctly.

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Then, this is the one we eat at my house. As you can see, we add both black and green olives to the recipe along with a sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan. For me it is worth the extra point.

Weight Watchers Italian Pasta Saladitalian%20pasta%20salad.jpg

4-oz. tricolor rotini (corkscew) pasta, uncooked

3/4 cup (3 oz.) cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup sliced zucchini

1/4 cup chopped, seeded tomato

3 tbsp. fat-free Italian dressing

2 tbsp. white wine vinegar

3/4 tsp. minced garlic

1/2 tsp. granulated sugar substitute (such as Splenda)

1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/4 tsp. pepper

Cook pasta according to pkg. directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; rinse with cold water,

and drain. Add cheese, zucchini, and tomato, tossing gently.

Combine Italian dressing and remaining 5 ingredients, stirring well with a wire whisk.

Add vinegar mixture to pasta mixture, and toss gently. Cover and chill 1 hr. Toss gently

before serving.

6 (1/2 cup) servings

Per serving: cal 108, fat 2.6 g , sat fat 1.5 g , fib 0.9 g , chol 8.2 mg , prot 5.8 g , sod 162 mg ,

carb 14.9 g

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

241.4/142/155

Thanks Barbara!

I've printed both of them up. I'm thinking the first one is it because it was called Tri-color Pasta Salad. I don't remember black beans (I've been putting black olives) but I've been messing with this recipe for so many years and just don't remember anymore. Thanks for your help, the summer is coming and I have to get all my salad recipes dusted off!!

:salutMT

:salut MT

a18ec6f08b2b3ca.gif

I'm looking for a recipe from a really old WW cookbook for carrots au gratin. Can't remember which book it was in, but it was a really good recipe and would love to have it again.

Jill~~

Reputation is what men and women think of us. Character is what God and the angels know of us.