Health Discovery Network
sjerseysetter

New Thread: Favorite kitchen tools

So I asked which do you like the PC or the CP, and I seemed to start a battle, as if I asked which do you like, a PC or an i-mac. (i-mac) :bcb_grin

Time out. New List: favorite kitchen appliances, and or tools. The ones you yell, "Oh, nooooo!!" if it breaks?

I'll start and list mine:

#1 my Krups coffee maker (when it broke I replaced it with one I found on Ebay) Not too big or fancy.

#2 A decent paring knife.

#3 my teaball, for making Rooibos Tea

#4 My WW scale I weigh everything, even my outgoing letters.

#5 My Farberware large frying pan, the old one, not the new ones which are too heavy and hold too much heat to work well with my electric stove.

I'm so bad when it comes to buying new kitchen items, I frequently go to Ebay and buy second hand exactly what I had and liked. Too many new items are larger, fancier, like the measuring spoons or pancake turners that have such thick grips on the handles that they don't fit into my lazy susan. (opps, another favorite thing.)

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

Hmmmm....:bcb_smile

Now realize: I sold almost EVERYTHING in the living estate sale. So many gadgets are GONE. :salut

Daily:

Bodum 3-cup glass teapot with ss infuser (from Ross for a couple of bucks)

Green pans from HSN, great non-stick

Salter ss digital scale

Cuisinart hot pot

Cuisinart toaster/convection oven

Weekly:

Cuisinart 6-quart digital programmable electric pressure cooker

Vita-Mix

William's Sonoma multi-chopper

Viking food processor

Zojirushi rice cooker

Sunbeam countertop steamer

Less frequently:

Viking stand mixer

Zojirushi bread maker (yes, DH couldn't live without our old one that we sold...)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

HAHA about the fight. We've had this conversation many, many times, and I am almost always the only one who doesn't feel the PC-love. :D No worries...

Kitchen gadgets seem to be such a subjective thing. My mom LOVES her stainless steel pots & pans she got for her wedding nearly 40 years ago, so she bought us a really nice, expensive set. Um, we rarely use them and opt to use our very cheap teflon ones instead. To each her own, right...

But I do love:

-Cocomotion (mostly in the cool weather)

-Santoku knife

-Iced tea maker (in the summer)

-Slow cooker :D

I tend to be in the Alton Brown camp of a gadget has to serve more than one purpose or I don't want it in my kitchen. I am trying to declutter!!!

Amy

SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose

DS: 1 year

DD: 2 years

I love my....

#1 Vidalia Chop Wizard

#2 My food Scale

#3 my mini food processor

#4 my mini crockpot

#5 my good knife, the one with the melted handle

#6 my broiler, I have just dicovered how amazing broilers are.

April

HW 370/CW 307.4/ GW 150

http://redd2lose.webs.com/ My Blog and Website

TEAM RED

Oh, April, you did make me think of something else I love:

My convection toaster oven!

That thing gets used at least once per day. It's so nice to not have to turn on the oven, toast four pieces of bread at once, and so on. We use it ALL THE TIME! And DH had never even heard of one when I got it - and now he uses it more than I do (heats lots of convenience foods). The only thing I don't like about it is the convection mode makes LOTS and LOTS of noise... But I still LOVE it!

Amy

SiFi - 114 lbs gone, 80ish lbs left to lose

DS: 1 year

DD: 2 years

I love kitchen gadgets!

-- Breville SmartOven convection toaster oven

-- Lodge cast iron griddle

-- Lodge cast iron waffle maker

-- Aroma rice cooker

-- GreenPans

-- Senseo coffee machine

-- Pur water pitcher

-- Hamilton-Beach grill

-- pink Santoku knife

-- Braun Multi-Quick stick blender

-- FoodSaver vacuum system

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I am light on the kitchen gadgets, because I really DO want to keep my counters clutter free. It makes me crazy to have too much stuff on them.

I do own a Viking food processor-one of the best kitchen gadgets I have ever gotten.

AND my Kitchen Aid Mixer, which my DH built an under-counter cabinet for, so it does not take up any space on the countertop. Love it !!

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

Vidalia Chop Wizard

George Foreman Grill

Cusinart Food Processer

Cutco knife set

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Yikes, I'm like, from the stone age. I have none of these appliances, but for the electric mixer, use 1-2X per year, I grill outside year round, and I do have a crockpot, which I use maybe 3-4 X/yr. No electric other gadgets. somewhere is a belgium waffler. And you know what? I know why I don't have all these choppers, food processors, rice makers, etc. ----It's because I'm basically looking for the fewest things to wash and put away after food prep. A 6 piece mini food processor, (had one once), or 1 paring knife. I'll go with the knife. I breast fed my kids for the same reason. Easy, lazy, less work, pick one.....

I do like to see what the rest of you can't do without.

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Nancy, actually, I buy all these gadgets for the very reason you said -- to make it easy! Part of my reason for gaining so much weight was not cooking at home, and relying on fast food. By getting the equipment to have an efficient kitchen where I have the tools for whatever job I need to do, it encourages me to learn more and more about cooking and preparing healthy meals at home -- esp since I'm doing SiFi/Core and I'm trying to get away from prepared foods. I now love spending time in the kitchen, sipping my Senseo coffee as I'm making a batch of brown rice with water from my Pur water pitcher, cutting up veggies with my Santoku, cooking marinated chicken breasts quick as a wink on my HB grill, and planning what kind of whole grain waffles I'm going to make the next morning! In times past, I would be looking up the number for Domino's. :) :)

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I am not heavily dependent on any appliance other than my pressure cooker(s). (I just boxed TWO of them up for storage since I can't possibly fit them in my kitchen.)

Other than that, a good steak knife is what I use regularly for cutting up foods.

I also use my silicon muffin "tin" when I make my various core baked goods. Since the baked goods are SO moist this works a lot better than regular tins lined with paper muffin cups.

I'm quite fond of my fridgedaire oven (my big oven I mean, so I am not sure it is a kitchen "tool").

Also, not so much a kitchen tool, I use my microwave a lot!:bcb_smile

And I use a good pasta pot for cooking things like hard boiled eggs or if for some reason I want to cook beans on the stove vs. the PC, and sometimes even PASTA

I have a LOT of other gadgets but I don't use them that much....blender, food processor, kitchenaid mixer, cocomotion (didn't use it all winter), hand blender (hardly use it), crockpot(s) (hardly use them),

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

OMG. Tell me, Nancy. Do you use a microwave?!:bcb_huh:

I use my micro ALL the time. It's how I make bulgar (in 15 minutes). And I reheat all the time, too...:bcb_smile

And the immersion blender. LOVE that thing. In order to make any soup smooth, it's the easiest. Much less dangerous than ladeling hot soup into a processor and then pouring it back into the pot...And not too expensive, either. :bcb_smile

I think the knife and a pot and a spoon "idea" is a wonderful living-simply idea...

BUT YOU CAN CUT YOUR FINGER OFF WITH A KNIFE!!!:bcb_cry::bcb_down (Or at least bleed a lot)

:bcb_grin:bcb_up

Also, DS got me a can opener (not electric) that unseals the can lid from the side. I'm really glad I have it. It's easy. Works well. I needed a can opener that worked without electricity! :bcb_up

Like Katie said, cooking SiFi requires LOTS of chopping and preparation. For me, these gadgets are fun, and help me to enjoy the process. However you ENJOY it works, I'd say. You don't want to avoid it, or dread it, that's for sure~

Uhm...great thread..what are my faves...

Electric kettle - used many times a day to make tea, and also to boil water for rice/pasta/veggies.

Microwave - to make my oatmeal!! Also to defrost / heat my prepared & frozen SF soups/meals.

Good kitchen knife - much prefer a good knife to fiddly choppers! I actually find chopping quite therapeutic - at work I am always the one to volunteer to prep 10lbs carrots into sticks (the kids get them with their sandwiches at the play area).

Stainless steel steamer (that you use on the stove) - probably my most used wedding gift! It has two baskets on top so I can cooke veggies for the family for dinner using one element on the stove.

Good peeler - I bought a great one last year and love it! I prefer the 'Y' type of peeler.

Immersion blender - great for soups

Good quality frying pan (Kitchen Aid brand) - great for frying with very little or no oil.

Kitchen scales - I have lots of Uk recipes and we weigh our ingrediants. Like wise for measuring cups / spoons / glass jugs with measures- can't be without them!

I do have a food processor, stand mixer, bread maker, crockpot, hand mixer, blender - but don't use them often enough for them to be faves. I am lucky to have a big enough kitchen to store these items for when I want to use them.

I love having lots of measures on hand, too...:bcb_smile

Especially love the OXO plastic measuring cups, where you can see EXACTLY when you hit your number on the inside.:bcb_smile

Does anyone have an opinion on the santoku (sp?) knives? Wiggly looking blade? Japanese, I believe.

I don't trust anything I see on late night TV...:bcb_up But I've also seen good quality ones in William's Sonoma, even at Costco.

What are they best suited for? And are they better than a regular knife?...:bcb_confu

OMG. Tell me, Nancy. Do you use a microwave?!:bcb_huh:

Like Katie said, cooking SiFi requires LOTS of chopping and preparation. For me, these gadgets are fun, and help me to enjoy the process. However you ENJOY it works, I'd say. You don't want to avoid it, or dread it, that's for sure~

Carol, and Katie, OF course I use a microwave!!!! every meal, it seems. Defrosting, reheating, to shorten cooking times, and cooking frozen veges, in my 25 year old Littonware containers. Have you seen what people will pay for Littonware on Ebay??? Those are also my favorites!!

No, I don't make my toast over an open fire with my bread on a fork! :bcb_huh: I use my toaster oven constantly, too. I guess I was thinking of what I would consider "It might be nice to have ___ once in a while, but where would I store it?" I have a Sunbeam mixer, and use it for holiday baking, but other than that, I get away with a whisk. DD used to work for Lenox and got a 35% discount at their warehouse store, and they sold Dansk, among other brands, so I have some lovely Stainless steel whisks, Stainless colanders, measuring spoons and cups. They are simple and simply beautiful tools.

But for someone who cooks and bakes like I do, the thing in my kitchen I HATE and I say that every day out loud, is my fridge. A few years back my fridge died in August, and I had to replace it ASAP. I bought one I shouldn't have- too small, but I have a recessed space for the fridge and am kinda stuck width-wise. When this recession is over, I will get another one. But what happened to wire shelves that take up less room than the glass ones and the space I lose with the d$#^ icemaker!!! I really hate my fridge.

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

You could have a garage-fridge. We did. It didn't have a freezer in it (because we had a garage-freezer, stand-up, which we gave away during the downsizing). Total fridge. And very inexpensive.

I LOVED that thing.

Now that we've downsized, I have to shuffle the shelves in my new home's fridge a LOT.

And I really can't justify an outside fridge with just DH and I...yet...:bcb_up Maybe larger gatherings someday (kids marrying and having families) would justify...:bcb_up I did have to get a little box freezer for the garage, and I'm glad I did (Just got some ham bones from Honeybaked and threw them in the freezer; they were HUGE!).

Gee, Nancy. You just ruined a beautiful visualization I had going of you in leopard-skin by an open fire...! :bcb_grin:bcb_wink3

(real leopard-skin):bcb_happy

Even though it is back home in MA it would have to be my Bluestar professional range. THAT IS A COOKING TOOL. 22K burners and all.

of the gadgets I mentioned on the other thread a long list of what I have. I thing my Electric egg cooker & electric water kettle would be first, microwave of course, Cuisanart FP, then my slow cookers, Kenwood mixer, Meat grinder. All the rest fall in line after all of these ones.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

For the 7 months of the year that we live on our boat, I would say my favorite cooking tools are:

microwave (when plugged into shore power)

propane BBQ

sharp knives

food scale

In the winter when we are on land my favorite tools are:

slow cooker

immersion blender (just got it this year!)

propane BBQ

food scale

freezer - llloooove having a freezer in the winter time.

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

No, I don't make my toast over an open fire with my bread on a fork! :bcb_huh:

ROTFL, Nancy!! BTW, I love my Littonware containers, too! I've had them forever!

Carol, I'm not an expert on knives, but I have this pink 6.5" Komachi knife that I think is termed a "santoku" knife -- it is hard to see in this picture, but the blade has the little hollow indentations in it:

300670e.jpg

Here's a better picture: http://www.chefsresource.com/kershaw-komachi-hollow-santoku.html

I really like this knife because it is incredibly light--about half the weight of some of the heavier knives--and comfortable to hold. It has a resin coating that makes it slice through foods easily. I use it for almost everything except bread. It's really good for slicing up meats. I also have a 4" santoku, which really is too small for me, even though I have little tiny hands.:bcb_grin I hone it up before each use. This line of knives has different colors for different foods -- I believe the green one is for veggies so you don't cross-contaminate what you're cutting.

Hope that helps a little! :salut

*He leadeth me.

Carol, I had forgotten about my OXO measuring cups. I love them. I have those in our trailer and in our house I have one OXO which I bought to replace one of my glass measuring cups when it broke. I can't wait until the remainder of my glass ones break and I can get more OXO ones.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Carol, my 1 car garage which holds my car and all of DH's tools, has an upright freezer, no room for a second fridge, unless I get rid of the old kitchen cabinet which I use for my gardening, etc. The shed holds the motorcycle, and had an old dorm fridge, which basically holds a few beverages for the summer pool season, but it is so small and DH keeps the shed locked so I don't even go out there, first----I'd have to find the combination....... just too much trouble.

We were only supposed to stay in this house for 5 years, since we realized w/o a basement, it was on the small size, but it's 23 years now, and it's a struggle. Keeps one in the habit of not collecting "stuff". Most of my neighbors have a 2 car garage and have converted it to additional living space.

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

This is just one shelf of my Entertainment center that I converted to Kitchen pantry, Wish I had a shot of the whole thing.

Encinoaptpictures044.jpg

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

I have enjoyed reading about your favorite kitchen items. There are a few of them I am going to check out!

BUT I have to be very selective about how many kitchen gadgets I have because.....I have a small galley kitchen with only 2 drawers! :bcb_grin :bcb_worry :bcb_smile

~*Melodee*~

th_flowers.gif