Health Discovery Network
Pandorra

Flavored Soy Milk, calcium fortified

Flavored soy milk, calcium fortified, is listed as a Simply Filling food.

Is "flavored" interepreted to mean CHOCOLATE flavored too?

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Sorry Sharyn but I think you have that backward, it is UNFLAVORED soy milk that is a filling food, NOT flavored.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Hi Lynn,

I am looking at the new pocket guide that I got in January 2009 when I rejoined WW.

If you look on page 23, under the heading "soy milk, calcium-fortified,

it says:

Flavored, 1 cup 2 points

Unflavored, 1 Cup points

And has a little green diamond as well as the words are printed in green, indicating a filling food, according to the book. As in BOTH entries are printed in green and both have diamonds next to them

Was this a mistake?

**Sharyn**

Hmm, I don't have a pocket guide handy but in e-tools and in the week 6 book where the filling foods are listed in groups, and in the OLD materials where it lists core foods it is soy milk unflavored....SO I think it is a mistake....

Lynn

Ok..thanks..I figured that was probably too good to be true :)

**Sharyn**

What do other buddies think about this? Sharyn noticed that in the pocket guide it has flavored and unflavored soymilk listed as a filling food (in two places mind you). In the week six book it just mentions unflavored as a filling food and in the old materials only unflavored was core. Do you think the pocket guide is a mistake? Has anyone heard anything else about this? I just looked it up today (finally)...I vaguely remember us talking about this? Isn't all flavored soymilk also sweetened?

I just bought soymilk (plain) for the first time recently, in hopes of it helping with perimenopausal symptoms and it is YUMMY!!!!!! I don't need flavors but I'd like to know the definitive answer on this! Being a leader doesn't help me....

Lynn

Ironically enough, what got me started on the soy milk thing is that vanilla flavored soy milk with added fiber in it is only 1 point per cup.

I was doing Flex so every point counted.

I really enjoy the vanilla soymilk with fiber, but not enough to count a point for it, when I switch back to Core, which will be this coming Tues. (waiting for my week to end and points to reset)

I can drink FF milk for no points on Core, when it's 2 points a cup on Flex.

**Sharyn**

Sharyn this has me so confused and intrigued that I emailed my area manager about it...we'll see what she says! She really KNOWS things! :salut

Lynn

Filling food list: "Dairy substitutes: Soy milk, unflavored".

CFC 2009:

"Soy beverage drink, 1 C.= 3 pt. NOT filling

Reduced fat, 1 C. = 3 pt. NOT filling

Soy milk, calcium fortified, flavored or unflavored, 1 cup = FILLING FOOD"

So I'd say, if a cup of your soymilk is 2 points or less, Filling Food. If it's 3 points or more for a cup, NOT a Filling Food.:salut:bcb_smile

(But I'll be glad to hear what Lynn comes back with: adding flavored soymilk would be new to me. I've never heard anyone talk about it before~)

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

LOL didnt mean to stir up the pot, so to speak but I have almost a whole half gallon in my fridge that I'd hate to have to not use cause Im too stingy to count points for it if it's not Core.

I did doublecheck my calculations, my vanilla flavored soymilk is calcium fortified, contains extra fiber and is only 1 point per cup, mostly due to the extra fiber it contains.

Even better, if your theory is right, Carol, the chocolate flavored soy milk, also calcium fortified, that I drink, is 2 points a cup and I absolutely ADORE that stuff!

Ok Lynn, we are waiting on you :)

**Sharyn**

I'm waiting, too! :bcb_smile

On the chocolate-flavor, I would think that calling it a Filling Food would mean that people could drink it and never count it. I know how that kind of thinking can be detrimental to weight loss...:bcb_huh:

Maybe you could limit it? One cup a day of chocolate, no-count.

(Did some more checking...)

CFC, page 170: Soy, Rice and Chai Drinks: There are no flavored (or chocolate soymilks) listed that are Filling Foods! :salut

Is your soymilk WESTSOY SOY SLENDER? None of the flavored 1-point soymilks are filling foods. Pg. 172.

So there goes my "limit" idea...You would just need to count the 1-point. See? They're steering you towards the "plain" soymilk. And they truly are (well, SILK ORIGINAL is...) silky and delicious!

I currently drink the silk vanilla flavor with added fiber..but there is a silk lo-fat choc for 2 points that i really like too.

Anyway, this is all no big deal, I can drink the FF regular old milk. Like I said, the only reason I even switched to the soy with fiber was that it was only 1 point.

Hershey's makes a great sf syrup, 2 tablespoons is 15 calories, and I normally only use 1 so if I really want choc milk, I can still have it and not have to count points for it, as long as I dont have it enough to accumulate a whole point.

**Sharyn**

Have you tried the SILK ORIGINAL in the red carton? It's a filling food, and I bet you could use that chocolate syrup and make something you really like~ :bcb_smile

When I make my homemade cocoa, I use 3/4 C. FF milk and 1/4 Silk Original to make it "creamy"...:bcb_grin

Okay, so my manager replied and said she didn't know and to check the CFC for yet another opinion/source to see if the pocket guide is wrong, and I am thinking the POCKET GUIDE IS WRONG!! Since EVERY other sources says only unflavored is a filling food...and I am loving the (unflavored) soymilk I bought! I don't even know what brand or anything....It certainly makes sense that only unflavored is a filling food, seems like flavored ones being filling foods would be a problem to weight loss/maintenance, and it would be SO easy to add some SF davinci syrup...

Lynn

in my book the flavored soy milk is in BLACK ink and there is no green diamond beside it.

Lifetimer for life!

wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com

Hm, you mean in your pocket guide? If so, then maybe WW corrected their error. Meanwhile, I have become a BIG soy milk fan in the past two weeks!!!!

And I'm sleeping better. Maybe it's those phytoestrogens??? Or a coincidence? Who knows!? I'm sticking with drinking some calcium fortified soy milk before bed! (previously I was drinking skim milk). And the soy milk is SO good I don't add chocolate sf davinci syrup anymore!!!

Lynn

:bcb_huh:This really is confusing. My pocket guide lists it like this:

Soy Milk

Flavored, calcium-fortified

Unflavored, calcium-fortified

With the diamond next to each.

In my 2009 CFC Complete A to Z Food List, pg. 72, the listing is:

(Diamond) Soy milk, calcium-fortified, flavored or unflavored

And then as previously there are the references on pg 172 which list only unflavored as FF and then only some of the brands. interestingly none of the Silk beverages, including unflavored are listed as FF.

There is not a huge difference in the nutritional stats between the flavored and unflavored and I believe both are sweetened.

To my mind using 1 cup of either flavored or unflavored soy milk for one of your milks isn't going to make or break the SiFi bank. Like anything else you have to be sensible about it.

Laurie

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. Maya Angelou

HW 274/SW 247/CW 194 :bcb_up

:bcb_huh:This really is confusing. My pocket guide lists it like this:

Soy Milk

Flavored, calcium-fortified

Unflavored, calcium-fortified

With the diamond next to each.

This is exactly what my pocket guide says, which is what started this thread to begin with.

I don't like milk, any kind, and the only way I can drink it is to flavor it with the SF hershey syrup or drink it mixed in a smoothie.

This is why I was asking if the choc flavored soy milk counted as "flavored"

I've resolved the issue for now by just going back to the FF dairy milk and either drinking it in a smoothie or using a tablespoon of SF Hersheys syrup (7.5 calories, so no points)

Edited to add..I don't really LIKE milk so flavored or unflavored, this does not have the potential to become a food that I would abuse, even if the choc soy milk was Core..or whatever I'm supposed to call it these days :)

**Sharyn**

Sharyn, have you tried the coffee flavoring sf syrups (sugar free I mean)? I like the chocolate one in milk. It is clear that unflavored soy milk is a filling food, to me it is clear anyway...as for the pocket guide, I thought freedomii seemed to be indicating that perhaps the pocket guide now said something different.

I agree that they are almost all sweetened anyway, even the unflavored ones. Though I was looking at the grocery store the other day and I believe I found an unsweetened one...but I was afraid that I might not like it so I didn't buy it!!!:bcb_blush

Soymilk is too expensive for me to abuse it!:bcb_wink3 But I'd still go with the idea that only unflavored is a ff because that would be consistent with how it was with core, and basically everything about SF is just like core....that's the best logic I can come up with!

Lynn

Ive tried the Davinci SF syrups. I guess I'm weird, I don't like them at all, not any of em, but more than that, they do weird things to my stomach that makes me not the best person to be around...no need to go into details :)

Milk and dairy, in general, are not foods I abuse, normally they are foods I struggle to consume so I look for anything that helps me get my dairy servings in.

U are correct, the soy milk IS more expensive, by a lot where I'm at. When I was doing Flex, it was worth the $$ to save a point per cup, now it doesnt really matter so I'm drinking the FF dairy milk AND saving some $$ at the same time.

**Sharyn**

I'm switching off cow's milk for the time being and have unflavored soy milk here. I saw the flavored stuff and almost bought it but figured that since I've got blood sugar problems, having soy milk flavored with sugar isn't going to do much benefit to me from switching from cow milk since I'm sensitive to both milk & sugar!! I like to make fruit smoothies with it. And, I'm NOT listening to the Core ice cream thread with all the Vita-Mix recipes. You hear me Carol?! :bcb_mad2 LOL :bcb_grin

Kimberley

Okay so I've been mulling over everyone POV and decided yeah the chocolate flavored, light, soy milk will have to go (not worth counting the points). So I grabbed a quart of unsweetened, light, vanilla soy milk. Only 1 gram of sugar, 4 grams of fiber, 1.5 grams fat, 80 cals.

:bcb_yuck::bcb_sick::bcb_yuck:

It is thin, tastes like vanilla cardboard and is so not in danger of being abused. I pulled out the splenda and added some right to the container.

Laurie

History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. Maya Angelou

I'm switching off cow's milk for the time being and have unflavored soy milk here. I saw the flavored stuff and almost bought it but figured that since I've got blood sugar problems, having soy milk flavored with sugar isn't going to do much benefit to me from switching from cow milk since I'm sensitive to both milk & sugar!! I like to make fruit smoothies with it. And, I'm NOT listening to the Core ice cream thread with all the Vita-Mix recipes. You hear me Carol?! LOL

But I've GOT to keep trying..........:bcb_up:bcb_bigsm Just pretend like I'm a demonstrator at the State Fair...Just keep on walking...:bcb_up

Okay so I've been mulling over everyone POV and decided yeah the chocolate flavored, light, soy milk will have to go (not worth counting the points). So I grabbed a quart of unsweetened, light, vanilla soy milk. Only 1 gram of sugar, 4 grams of fiber, 1.5 grams fat, 80 cals.

:bcb_yuck::bcb_sick::bcb_yuck:

It is thin, tastes like vanilla cardboard and is so not in danger of being abused. I pulled out the splenda and added some right to the container.

What's the brand? That makes a huge difference (to me). :bcb_smile

Hi Carol, it is Westsoy a company that claims "Westsoy knows soy best!" :bcb_LOL: Actually since I dumped about a pound of Splenda in the carton it's not too bad! But still thin. I will keep trying different brands.

Here's what I'm thinking: the cane syrup or whatever the heck is in all of the Silk brand products is what makes it a bit thicker and creamier. I think maybe we, and WW, are missing the point.

The question is not "flavored vs. plain/unflavored" but rather "sweetened vs. unsweetened." This is what makes the most sense when you compare the ingredients and also explains why none of the Silk products - including the plain/unflavored - are FF. Read those labels people!!!!

This late realization may also explain the halt in progress I have experienced since "discovering" soymilk a few weeks ago. Again not abusing, it but I still have to consider that it may have been in a factor in my plateau.

The biggest lesson for me is when the WW materials contradict each other it is always wisest to go with the most conservative interpretation...

Laurie

Filling food soymilk doesn't have to be fat-free.

It only has to be calcium fortified and unflavored (to be a filling food).

Printed off my Filling Foods List: "Dairy substitutes: soy milk, unflavored".

From A-Z Food List in CFC, "Soy milk, calcium fortified, flavored or unflavored, 1 cup = Filling Food" --In this case I think "flavored" might be a misprint. Because flavored soymilk was not Core.

The red carton, "original" SILK is a filling food. :salut

And, it's The BEST in my opinion! :bcb_grin:salut

(I think somebuddy drank WestSoy and wrote they hated it. Unflavored. Thought it looked "brown and unappetizing"...:bcb_yuck: So I've never tried it.)