Health Discovery Network
Stinkysmomma

Stressed, Confused HURT.

Guest 2 kute

You know, stress can do funny things to us....and one of the things is it prevents us from losing weight and can actually cause us to gain weight. And it sounds like you are under an incredible amount of stress right now. I agree with the idea of putting the scale away for a bit as that seems to be adding to your stress. You are a pretty woman and if you can become comfortable with who you are now, I think it really would help you. It worth giving it a try.

Newbie here, but am a cancer survivor myself. Plus my husband is fighting it now for the 6th year. In his lymph nodes now too.

I agree with your counselor, you are trying to find something over which you do have control.

It takes a LONG time to come to grips with what cancer does to us both mentally and physically.

The medications I am taking are typically helpful in losing weight!??! Ha. Lucky me.

I gained again this week, 7.5#s in a month. Not good, I have no idea what to do other than to continue to follow plan and exercise, needless to say I am less than happy about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JODI

My advice is to put the scale away for a month, and don't peek. Don't get hung up on the number. All you can do is follow the plan, and if you're doing that you're doing it right.

P.S. You don't look like someone who needs to lose weight -- honestly.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Does your dr think that the weight gain is related to your cancer fight?

I have Hashimoto's Disease (an autoimmune disorder which causes my body to attack the thyroid gland resulting in a switch between hypo and hyper-thyroidism) and have now had 3/4 of my thyroid removed. When I'm hypo (which I have been for most of the last 4 years) I can gain massive amounts weight just by looking at food.

My sister has Grave's Disease and was hyper forever. She was "naturally" (and ridiculously) thin until one day she just suddenly started gaining weight. I think she was up about 20 pounds before the dr thought to check her thyroid. He assumed she'd by hypo from all the weight gain and was shocked to find out she was super-hyper. My friend's aunt gained a lot of weight when she was hyper too. I'm not telling you this to depress you, just to let you know that you wouldn't be the only hyper-patient in the world to actually gain weight.

I don't have any real advice for you, but I can sympathize. As I alluded to above, I can do all the right things and not lose weight and will gain weight when the person next to me is eating too much. It sucks and really does leave you feeling helpless. I can only imagine how frustrating that must be after all you've goen through to lose and maintain over the last few years. I wish there was an easy fix, but I'm just wondering if you won't have to wait it out while your're dealing with the thyroid cancer.

~ Pam ~

homeschooling mom to 3 girls

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not." James Gordon, M.D.

weight.png

Pam thank you for the info.

I am SUPER hyper. My TSH level is a 0 currently. So not good. My doctor has me on Synthroid and we cannot get to where I need to be.

I am going to keep working at it and hope it calms down.

I had a huge drop in weight and than one day it started coming back on.

SO frustrating.

I am also going to step away from the scale and know I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to make this work. It will happen!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JODI