Health Discovery Network
kayb85

In a Slump

For the past week now i have been in a slump. I have given into the chocolate,candy and extra meat..and of course Im seeing it on the scale.I usualy work out 5 days on and 2 days off this week I just dont want to do it. I realy need the bug back in me before I regret it Please help bootcamp

weight.png

Begining Weight: 226

CW: 185

GW: 140

Height: 5'11

Start Date : 02/17/09 230lbs

Short term goal : 01/01/2010 165

Ahhh, the dreaded slump. We've all been there and we all move beyond them and so will you. It's times like this when I like to call in the reinforcements (my friends and family). I make a "date" with a friend to hang out and then I select an physical activity - a walk or hike or bike ride or even a shopping trip to the largest mall in town. I get to socialize and exercise! This usually gets me onto the right track.

Alternately, you could just do it anyways. If we only ever did the things we want to do we probably wouldn't work, or do laundry, or grocery shop. Unfortunately, life is all about doing things we don't want to do. Exercise and eating healthy is one of those things. The hardest part is getting started; then it's easier. I know from your other posts on the boards that you've lost weight lately without the benefit of meeting so you're clearly a strong, powerful and highly motivated person. Just get to it :salut

Monique

SW: 198

CW: 145

WW Goal: 148

PG: 140

You know that sounds like a great idea. I think I will take my kids swimming its been nice and warm lately. Thank you for the compliment it really gave me a confidence boost I think that’s what I needed too:bcb_march :bcb_grin

weight.png

Begining Weight: 226

CW: 185

GW: 140

Height: 5'11

Start Date : 02/17/09 230lbs

Short term goal : 01/01/2010 165

Great suggestions from Monique!

I just wanted to add that YOU CAN DO IT!! The easiest way to get out of a slump is to do different things and make it fun! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Guest BeanBlossom

Slumps are part of the game. Just acknowledge it and move past it. "Yep, I was in a slump, now I'm not, end of story".

As to the exercise, I always start back at "Just get out for ten minutes" you'll always do more but if you commit to at least ten minutes a day you'll do it because that's so easy anyone could do it!

Guest starbrite

A slump is shitty, but it's a given unfortunately, it happens to the best of us. But you are in a ten times better place than you were before you joined ww, bc now you acknowledge this slump and are asking for help-that's a big accomplishment in itself. it's really easy to ignore our faults and not point them out, so kudos first off.:bcbkickbu

second, why not figure out what foods were bad for you, what caused the falling off the wagon? i'm sure if you look at your foods tracked you can see some things that stand out, or some patterns.

for me personally, if i don't eat a big enough dinner, i start snacking at night, which throws off my points.

also restaurants, sometimes i go "ohh, i will figure out the points hwen i get home" and am shocked when it's double what i had thought.

i love ww bc i can eat what i want as long as it goes within points, and i follow the healthy 8's. however, sometimes i think i am taking advantage of this, and eat chocolate, fries, on a regular, so so bad.

i've looked to some celebrities that i admire and they claim, they always eat healthy and soemtimes if they are craving something, they have a little bite or piece. that makes me feel ashamed bc instead of the bite i have the entire plate of it. portion control is key here. my kitchen is well stocked for my urges. i have lowfat, sugar free, ww friendly salty snacks

(ritz baked chips 11-14 chips=3 points), (100 calorie chips), and chocolatey snacks ( 3 pt ww muffins) 1 pt hostess mini cupcakes, skinny cow, etc.

if i feel the need to have something , i have it but i just have something point friendly that won't hurt as much. a simple chocolate bar that fights the craving in the checkout line, doesn't seem that bad, but when it becomes 8 points, it really kills.

sorry this became a long post:). my point being, keep good substitutes in ur house so if u crave something, it doesn't hurt ur daily points.

also, make a very basic goal to workout. basic basic.

example, i started with a '1 hour daily workout and 1 hour pilates":bcb_huh: ya that lasted all of a week.

then i would work out one day for 2 hours for a few days, the next few days i was so lazy, and cycle continues.

so now i started with a basic platform. 15 minutes of cardio/daily no matter what. simply put. if i push and do 60 minutes, congratulations, but th enext day i still have to do that 15 minutes again no matter what.

it helps if you do the first week with ur rule, and not overdo it at all to avoid the burn out. once you get used the the schedule it will feel normal, and if u go over it, u wont neglect ur daily schedule for the next day.

Such great suggestions here! I'm a huge fan of the 15 minutes. I use it not just for exercise, but for any tasks I'm procrastinating on. I almost always do more than the 15 and the getting started breaks the inertia/slump.

I'm reading The Beck Diet Solution and she's got a lot of suggestions for retraining your brain, basically by talking back to the negative thoughts and the "permission-giving" thoughts to going down the wrong track.

One of the initial exercises in the book is to list all of the reasons you want to lose weight and to read it several times a day to keep it freshly in your mind.

Some of the other notes I've written down and am reading regularly are:

To lose weight, I'm going to have to train myself to do what I need to do, not what I feel like doing in the moment.

Even if I don't feel like x (exercising, having the lower-point snack, choosing the healthy meal out at a restaurant, etc.), I have to do it anyway. If I do only what I feel like doing, I won't be able to lose weight and keep it off.

As much as I want to eat x, losing weight is much more important to me.

I might not want to give up x behavior/food, but I'll enjoy being thinner so much more.

I can have whatever I want at restaurants or I can continue to lose weight. I can't do both.

I highly, highly recommend this book. I'm finding it a great companion to WW.

Aimee

weight.png

BlueTeamSig.jpg