Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
Ready2Lose_lbs

Alt to Country Fried Steak Recipe

I was wondering if anyone has an alternative to Country Fried Steak. We're trying to cook healthier for my fam while I do WW's

HW:235

SW: 197.5

CW: 193.0

GW: 140

~*Amy*~

weight.png

I didn't run this through Mastercook or try it, so I can't vouch for it. But here is a recipe i found. Please double check the points. It looks like it's more of a brown gravy than a white one. I know i make a potato soup with a country gravy mix, you could try that instead - but it would be more points.

COUNTRY-FRIED STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY- 8 points

3 tbs. skim milk

2 large egg whites

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

4 (4 oz.) cubed sirloin steaks

2 tsp. vegetable oil

12 oz. mushrooms, sliced or quartered

2 1/2 tbs. all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 can (14 oz.) fat-free beef broth

Combine the milk with the egg whites and stir with a wire whisk. Combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Working with one steak at a time, dip in the egg mixture and then dredge in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm.

Add the mushrooms to the pan and saute' 3 to 4 minutes. Combine the flour and salt with the beef broth, stirring with a whisk. Add the broth mixture to the mushrooms in the pan. Bring to a boil and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens. Spoon the gravy over the steaks and serve. This recipe makes 4 servings, 8 points each.

quotation-open.png Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. quotation-close.png

Barb A