1/2 small onion chopped

1/4 diced green pepper

4 slices chopped Canadian bacon

8 eggs beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

a hand full of chopped drained spinach

1/2 cup shredded ff cheddar cheese

mix all ingredients but the cheese . spray a 9x9 pan pour the egg mixture in the pan and bake at 350 for 45 to 50 min. sprinkle the cheese on top and bake till melted.

it was very good and filling . I sliced mine up so now I have a quick breakfast to grab it is good cold of hot. Hope you all try it and enjoy.

Guest sodacracker

thanks - sounds like something I would make for a week's worth of breakfasts on the go.

Claire, I made this tonight and it was really good -- quiche without crust! I used frozen mixed veggies (broccoli, peppers, onions, etc.) in it to get more veggies in there, and I love it! I'm cutting it into servings and freezing it, so I hope I can just take one or two out and put them in the microwave for a little while--that should work. So, thanks!:bcb_up

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Clarification: cooked quinoa, or uncooked? :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

has to be uncooked, i think....

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

If it is the Whole Foods recipe it is uncooked

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

If it is the Whole Foods recipe it is uncooked

Is the posted recipe above from Whole Foods?...:bcb_smile

So in the cooking time, do the little threads pop-out (making it look just like regular "cooked" quinoa cooked in water/broth)?

:bcb_smile

This recipe is a keeper. I used uncooked quinoa. The Whole Foods recipe suggests running the quinoa under cold water thru a "fine mesh strainer" until the water runs clear. Not sure if that is really necessary but I did in case.

This recipe is great to keep in fridge or freeze as already suggested and would make a nice breakfast or add a salad and it is a nice lunch or dinner.

I used the ingredients below (I only had 7 eggs and it was fine).

Thanks for the recipe!

(WWCarol - hope you are felling better!)

With perseverance, even the snail made it to the ark - Charles H. Spurgeon

weight.png

Quinny, I made it the 1st time with uncooked quinoa and all of it rose to the top -- I didn't do the "shake 'n bake" thing.:bcb_grin And I used only 5 eggs (all I had) and it turned out fine! And I had forgotten about all the great recipes at Whole Foods -- thanks for the link!:salut

BTW, running water over the quinoa removes the outer coating, which can be bitter.

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I've never eaten quinoa in my life but this looks like it might be a good place to try it. I had a heck of a time finding it in my backwards town, it just recently showed up in my grocery store after years of searching.

I'm always looking for portable breakfast recipes.

I'm going to give this a shot sometime this week for next weeks' breakfasts.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Sharyn, you live in a little hick town, too, huh?! :) I find most of my "good" stuff either at Kroger's or online, especially Amazon. And sometimes, Big Lots has unusual things like quinoa in their gourmet section. Ever tried there?

*He leadeth me.

Trader Joe carries quinoa. Do you have one in your area?

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I agree that washing quinoa is important as it's a "grass" so it has a bit of a grassy taste if it's not rinsed. For that matter, I find that the sweet quinoa recipes don't work as well since it always has that hint of taste. But a savory quinoa recipe, like this one, is just :bcb_up !

Kimberley

LOL Donna, I have NOTHING in my area. Nothing.

But actually, my local grocery store all of a sudden started carrying it. I saw it last week for the first time ever..and I've been doing WW and Core for over 3 years now.

I was so excited, I snatched up a box, brought it home, then realized I didnt have a clue what to do with it.

So now, I do :)

BTW, we don't have a Kroegers here either, and the closest BigLots is 20 mins away, in the neighboring town

**Sharyn**

I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

I froze most of this in portions after I cooked it. I took some out this evening for dinner and it freezes very well! :bcb_up

*He leadeth me.

Dagnabbit! I forgot to chop up the spinach so now it's taken over the egg bake in the oven because I *also* forgot to cover it in foil!! :crazy: Oh well, I'll do better next time! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Kimberley :bcb_grin .

I made mine with broccoli, green beans, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. (frozen veggie mix) along with the spinach, and it was like a veggie pie! Tastes even better after it was frozen, too.

*He leadeth me.

Did you all defrost the frozen veggies first or just throw them in there frozen?

**Sharyn**

The Whole Foods recipe suggests running the quinoa under cold water thru a "fine mesh strainer" until the water runs clear. Not sure if that is really necessary but I did in case.

(Thanks, Quinny. Slowly I'm getting better...)

I thought there is a protective bitter coating on the quinoa. Some boxes apparently don't have it, but most quinoa does.:bcb_yuck:

I put it in a mesh strainer and then swished it in a bowl of clear water. Had to do that many times before it was clear...

Putting it under running water didn't seem to be working as well~ :wave:

I do not rinse either the package or the bulk quinoa and do not have any problems with it tasting bitter.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Sharyn, I just put the frozen veggies in there as is. Next time, I think I will run them under warm water to get some of the frost off them and then drain because they may have contributed some excess moisture to the dish. But they got cooked just fine!

Here's a good article about quinoa, which says that most of it that is packaged and sold has had the outer coating removed, but that we should rinse it in case any powdery residue of that coating remains -- probably just a cautionery move. It also suggests toasting the quinoa in a skillet before cooking -- hadn't thought of that!! http://www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Foods&mod=Foods&mid=&id=D18F2C4462B74726B0C2D1FD8A8A65B8&tier=2

*He leadeth me.