Health Discovery Network
KimberleyW

Simply Filling Weekly!! ~~ May 4 - 10 ~~

Good Morning! :wave:

Another personal step forward here. I made it to the lab to get my blood work done. The next stage is going to the women's health clinic to get my female parts checked out. I'm embarrassed to say how long it's been since I've had a physical.

I'm off to the gym this morning. I'd prefer to stay home and do a FIRM workout but I haven't seen the boxing/interval instructor much lately. She made a point of calling me "stranger" when she was at the spin class on Tuesday and I told her I'd come to her class on Wednesday. And then I hurt my knee!! So, I'll go see her this morning. I haven't done a boxing class for a few weeks so it will be a nice change of pace. I've got some errands to run before coming back home and some chores to finish here when I do!

Tonight is the year-end potluck for the Beavers. I'm going to make a whole wheat spaghetti dish in the crockpot since I have given up wheat and need to get rid of what I have left in the pantry! I don't think I'm going to go there for dinner myself though as the options are rarely healthy and I seem to get in more trouble than it's worth at pot-lucks. I think I'll drop them off and head to the gym to take a yoga class, if I'm up for it. If not, I'll just stay home and read for the hour!!

Have a great OP day everybuddy! :salut

Kimberley

Good Monday Morning!

Wow! We had a busy weekend! My parents and DH parents came on Saturday to watch DD dance in her spring recital. I made SF chili and we had salad and baked potatoes for lunch. Simply filling and simply delicious! :bcb_bigsm

DD did a great job at dance and tonight is her final practice! We are slowly getting our evenings back!

Yesterday after mass DH and I cut down four trees in our yard to make room for a garage addition. It was a beautiful day here and it was a lot of work, but it felt soooo good to be productive and outside. After we were done DD and DS asked if they could go rollerblading on the bike path so we headed for the path and made a couple of laps around the bike path. I got a lot of AP's in yesterday and didn't use one of them!:bcb_up

We were absolutely beat last night! I finally got a good nights sleep and now ready for the week ahead. This morning I got up early and did level 2 of the 30 day shred...it had been awhile and I could tell! I was tired!

Kimberley~You are amazing with all of the workouts that you get in! I love yoga but just can't find the time...maybe this summer!

Have a great day buddies! Make it a great one!

Kim

weight.png

GOOD Morning, Buddies~ :wave:

Great day yesterday. Went to Costco, and pointed out samples to DH and DS. For me? I thought, "Not for a year..." :bcb_up

SF is feeling great. Good food. And I'm never physically hungry for long~

Gotta' go strength-train and then for my long morning walk~ :strong::bcb_march

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Hi, Buddies

Back to schoolwork today after a week of painting. I think the kids like this better !

DH and I started a little more yesterday, got thru the scraping of the old paint, then, happily, it started raining. I must admit, my heart wasn't in it yesterday, so we ended up just relaxing. Nice. I have a nasty cold or allergies-not sure which,but it's wearing me out !

I did Day 1 of the Hot Point Fitness exercise program today. It is a pretty intense weight lifting regime, with aerobic added at the end. My legs are sure going to feel it tomorrow.

I have a busy week ahead with CCD practices, one high school class to teach, as well as gymnastics, school, and whatever else pops up. I'm a little tired thinking about it !

I got my contract in the mail Friday for my summer cooking job at the Boy Scout Camp. I am getting a raise-so that sweetens it up a bit. I want to surprise my 3 youngest w/ horseback riding camp in August- when I am done at my camp job and can be there with them. If I can scrape the $$, it's a done deal. They would be SO excited. I cannot mention it at all, probably not till we get there:bcb_grin

I have a great OP day planned-it's already 11 am, and I have been perfectly OP so far. Next success-lunchtime !!

By the way- I am going to try to come up w/ an adzuki bean burger-see what I can figure out that would be yummy.

Have a great day, buddies !

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

Bridget: Did you see this?

"Cathy P. posted this on Lifetime, and I just had to pass it along! I made these this morning, and they are EXCELLENT and EASY!!

Garden Burgers

1/2 large onion, finely diced

1 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock

1 cup coarse bulgur

1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed

4 oz frozen peas or carrots, ptional

Pinch kosher salt

1/4 cup grated FF mozzarella (optional)

Pour onions into a 3 quart sauce pot with the stock and bring to a boil. Add bulgur, chickpeas and veggies, stir until combined. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

Remove pot from heat. Using a potato masher or spoon back, mash ingredients together making sure all chickpeas get smashed. Add in cheese (if desired). Form into four burger patties. Lightly coat a non stick skillet with cooking spray and turn heat to medium. Place all burgers in pan when hot and cook 2-3 minutes per side or untilheated through and golden. Can also add taco or other seasoning into burgers mixing them.

No nutritional info was given, but should be able to figure points easily enough. This isn't that many ingredients."

WWCarol: I made mine with: precooked bulgar (2 cups), onions, frozen garbanzo beans and frozen peas: mixed together and cooked in the microwave for about 3 minutes until beans/peas were warm and onion was cooked.

You can also follow the recipe by putting everything in an 8 C. Pyrex measuring cup and microwaving the mixture for 15-20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes. I did add in the grated mozarella when I "mashed" the mixture!

I formed them into "burgers" with my Tupperware patty-maker. They held their shape beautifully, and were very easy to work with! I got seven 4 ounce "Gardenburgers".

I toasted a pita (count WAP), and put it in with lettuce, tomatoes and hot sauce. Very filling and delicious. Reminiscent of a falafel!! Carol

Joanne figured 2 points each, for those counting points. For additional info, I've pulled up the thread on Vegetarian Forum.

That might help with ideas for your adzuki burgers. :salut:bcb_bigsm

I've got some cooking to do here in the kitchen this morning for family hot breakfasts & lunches today! I'm off to the gym this morning for spin class. I may stick around for an express abs class afterwards though I tweaked my back a bit last night in yoga doing a wheel so I'll probably take it easy today. Claire has a loose bracket on her braces so I've got a call in to the orthodontist to hopefully get that fixed at some point today. Claire also has a basketball game after school so we'll all walk down to see it.

Tonight the new Cub troop is having a field trip at the sewage treatment plant. It's by the park where we normally go so I'm thinking of bringing Nathan's bike and I'll walk while he rides for a bit. We'll see how we feel by that point!

Kimberley

Tonight is the year-end potluck for the Beavers. I'm going to make a whole wheat spaghetti dish in the crockpotsince I have given up wheat and need to get rid of what I have left in the pantry!

Kimberley, I heard about this book yesterday (everywhere infact, as she was on several shows!) . She has a glutein allergy, but said people who started eating this way felt more energy, stopped getting headaches, and generally just felt better. My DD was told she has IBS and she gets VERY bad migranes often. Those are the very things that this woman was told, it took 5 years and some self diagnosis before she figured it all out. I'm thinking of getting the book for my DD (maybe I'll read it first :bcb_wink3) to see if it will help her. Might be something worth looking at for you, as I know you said you have daily headaches. It is supposed to have many recipes and easy switches for your favorite recipes too. Just thought I'd pass it on! :salut

http://www.amazon.com/G-Free-Diet-Gluten-Free-Survival-Guide/dp/1599951886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241529883&sr=1-1

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

The first 2 reviews look like they really liked it, Linda. :salut:bcb_smile

And G-free is kinda' catchy...:bcb_up

Completed my first week OP + meeting 9 GHG. Down 2.9. 51 weeks to go!:bcb_grin :salut

Onto my second week.

I've got cranberry beans, which I've never cooked before. Red and white. I guess they're not as pretty cooked.

Also got yellow mung and a strange 1/2 garbanzo that is dark brown that cooks like a lentil...those are for later in the week.

I'm out of APPLES and that is a calamity! bcb_sad Heading to the grocery store AFTER exercise ~ :wave:

Thanks Linda! I was hoping that wheat-free would be good enough. But I seem to still be reacting to oats (which have gluten) so I may have to go completely gluten free. I'm giving it two weeks as it takes some time for the body to catch up to these kinds of changes. I bought a ton of alternate flakes (barley, kamut and spelt) at the mill this past weekend but they're all going to have gluten in them. Just thinking about having to give up oats in addition to everything else is starting to make me feel depressed again so I'll go put a hold on that book at the library and see what I can do about it!

Kimberley

Morning buddies

I went to see the school show this morning - my 9 yr old taught some of the kindergarten & 1st grade kids a hip hop routine. They looked really cute.

It's WI tonight, & I'm not feeling like I've lost (TOM). However, all my summer capris & t-shirts are too big - I look like I'm wearing someone else's clothes! We will probbaly head to the US for a day out on Sunday, and hope for a few bargains!

I am now heading back to the housework...when the suns shines it seems to mmake the dust bunnies come out to play!

Thanks Linda! I was hoping that wheat-free would be good enough. But I seem to still be reacting to oats (which have gluten) so I may have to go completely gluten free. I'm giving it two weeks as it takes some time for the body to catch up to these kinds of changes. I bought a ton of alternate flakes (barley, kamut and spelt) at the mill this past weekend but they're all going to have gluten in them. Just thinking about having to give up oats in addition to everything else is starting to make me feel depressed again so I'll go put a hold on that book at the library and see what I can do about it!

I found some oats at a local health food store back home that says gluten free and I seem to be doing alright with them. I do not have them everyday, maybe once every 4 days to once a week as I do not want to develope an allergy to oats again. Kim, I have a lot of food allergies but have been able to now have apples, oats, legumes but not everyday. I will probably never be able to have salmon, citrus and dairy as I still react to those.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

You guys got me looking at the gluten free stuff. I am NOT an Elisabeth Hasselbeck fan so I'd have to get over that:bcb_wink3...I wonder if I don't have some level of gluten intolerance as wheat does seem to give me gastric and "tissue" (inside of my mouth and other things) problems/irritation...but I seem to be bothered by more refined wheat products, like whole wheat FLOUR....I'd HATE to give up bulgur!!!!!!! But I might want to try it for a while. I really think I have inflammatory problems caused by wheat and some other things....is this the same sort of thing as a gluten problem???? I mean the inflammation of tissues and joints...

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

So funny Lynn,I am not a Hassleback fan either, but i serioulsy doubt she did the research for the diet herself!

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

I went to the bookstore and checked out The G-Free Diet. She has Celiac's Disease so the focus was more on that particular condition. There weren't many recipes at all. Anything that was in her book would be really easy to track down on the internet. The only thing I need to do is get the list of gluten-free grains to remind me of a few of the more obscure ones. What was interesting is that she made a point of saying you need to keep the gluten-free stuff separate-- separate baking sheets, wooden spoons, cutlery, plates (or make sure they're sterilized after use).

I took a peak at Jillian Michaels' new book and there were a lot of similarities and cross-over from the Hormone Diet book. She spends a lot of time looking at how the hormones affect metabolism and health. It looks just as informative as the other book and goes more into the weight-loss focus. I think that there are some key differences in both plans as The Hormone Diet stresses increased strength training and decreased cardio-- I can't see Jillian limiting anyone to 30 minutes of cardio 1-2 times a week!! LOL :bcb_down

Judy- The list of things I'm allergic to far outweighs the stuff I can actually eat. Such is life for folks like us!! :bcb_cry:

Lynn- I really like millet. Buckwheat (and buckwheat flour) are gluten free. Quinoa, amaranth, soy, tapioca, teff, brown rice, etc are all gluten-free and multi-versatile (each can have different uses than the other). There's some debate about oats and gluten and, like Judy mentioned, you can get gluten-free oats. Soy should be limited to one serving a day (The Hormone Diet) so I have to be careful since I drink soy milk but also have soy protein powder, soy beans and tofu, etc.

Kimberley

As far as keeping your gluten free baking, dishes etc separate I think it would depend on how allergic you are to gluten. I do not have Celiac but did belong for a while to a Celiac/wheat allergy e-mail group and keeping things separate was one of the things that was emphasized on the list but most of the people had Celiac so I do not know if that makes a difference. Kimberly, I am allergic to a lot of foods also. I wish I could have soy.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Have you always been allergic, or did the food allergies appear at a certain age? I have heard a body changes every 7 years. I used to have different sensitivities that have diminished over the years..... But not to foods specifically.

~Nancy in SJ

HW 152

CW 144

GW 138

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

www.englishsetterrescue.org

Becky- CONGRATS!!

Judy- I'm in a "nether region" right now as I need more time for my body to detox before I have all the wheat/dairy/sugar out of my system. At that point, I'll better be able to tell what things are affecting me in what ways. I have been eating a lot of oats lately since I'm not the biggest rice fan and I have limited uses for rice-like grains. I like millet as a hot cereal for breakfast. But I can take or leave rice, quinoa, etc. as a side dish. I need to think out of the box more, especially if it turns out that I can't have oats on a daily basis! If I couldn't have soy, that would make things even more difficult. It is possible that I'm reacting to soy as well but I'm still only a week and a half into giving up some of these things so it will be trial and error for a while.

Nancy- I used to have bone straight hair, then it was curly, then straight and now it's curly again!! :crazy: I can *totally* see how our bodies change over the years!

Kimberley

I'm just in from a 30 minute brisk walk after making a really upbeat mix to listen to on my ipod while going on it! :bcb_march It really motivated me. :bcb_smile

The discussion about allergies and how our bodies change is really interesting. I really feel for those of you who have significant allergies! My doctor told me you could spontaneously develop allergies at any point, and they could also disappear spontaneously. I developed a terrible allergy to mango a few years ago, after eating them daily for years (I lived in Mexico and could buy a huge bag for about the equivalent of $1 so I had one every day). If I have more than a few bites now, I will get huge, raised, red welts all over my body and a terrible red rash all around my mouth. I also became lactose intolerant at about age 36. Our bodies definitely change through the years!

I'm really intrigued by Jillian Michaels new book. I get her e-mail newsletters and there have been little bits referenced. I will take a look on my next jaunt to the bookstore.

I hope everyone is having a great evening! :salut

Aimee

weight.png

BlueTeamSig.jpg

Good morning buddies!

It's raining here today, with rain forecast for the rest of the week. Although I miss the sunshine rain is good for my garden & my business!

I went out on my bike yesterday for the 1st time this year, and also spent 30 minutes on the trampoline with the kids. It's time to up the exercise!!

I am taking my dress for the big gala today to see if I can get it altered as it's a bit too big. I love the dress & hope it can be made to fit okay.

Anyway, I'd better get a move on! Have a great day - make it count!

Becky

Today is shaping up to be the mother of all busy days. I'm not sure how it's all going to play out. I have to get Claire to the orthodontist before school this morning. DH will get the kids on the bus and then head downtown to work. I'm meeting up with a friend for an interval class at the gym. I have to take the quickest shower ever after the class in order to get to the school to do milk duty at lunch. My friend is coming over for lunch and then we're walking 4 miles in the woods. This afternoon, the kids are having their rehearsal for the spring musical tonight. I think DH is going to go since he'll be at yoga tonight during the formal event. When DH gets home from the recital, I have to drive him out to the airport to drop off a car. After school, Claire has track & field and then back home until the evening musical.

Kimberley

Hey Busy Buddies

Everyone sounds pretty busy these days !

Things have been hopping around here as well-with no slowdown in sight:bcb_worry

I finished Day 2 of the Hot Point Fitness exercise routine this morning. It's pretty intense,but varied enough so I keep moving on to something different. I am glad to be doing this-I have not done any structured weight lifting in several months-so I know this will kick things up a bit,which I need.

I have been thinking lately about how I will manage exercising when I start the camp cooking job again at the end of June. Last year I was up at 4 every morning so I could get an hour in before I had to get ready to leave for the day. I always felt great that I had worked out,but it was NOT easy !! I also didn't lose any weight during the summer, probably as a result of not getting enough sleep, and not hydrating well enough. (the bathrooms at camp are pretty gross-so I eventually limited my trips by limiting my water. It happened gradually, but it did happen) I have to work on that this summer.

Well, I have to get busy with schooklwork-they all started without me, which is fine,but I'd better poke my nose in and see what's going on "behind the scenes":bcb_grin

Till later, have a great day, buddies

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

How are you going to work-on-it, Bridget?!...:bcb_huh: I can "smell" the bathroom just by READING about it! :bcb_up:bcb_yuck: Who needs water for 3 months?...............

:bcb_smile

Today is Bless The House, and then I've GOT to get groceries! :salut

I just did 25 minutes intense intervals on the elliptical, and then I think we're taking our fast walk in the POURING RAIN...:salut