Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

Poll: Do You Have A TV In Your Kitchen?

Do you have a TV in your kitchen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a TV in your kitchen?

• Yes
    • No

I polled once if Buddies have a TV in their bedroom and got lots of great responses...:salut:bcb_smile

(The answers helped me decide to not have one in our new home's bedroom.:bcb_wink3:salut)

Now I'm wondering if you have one you watch while you're in the kitchen.

In my last home I could watch TV from my kitchen (from the closely adjoining family room).

In this home we don't have a TV in the kitchen, or in the adjoining living room. I thought I wanted it that way...but now I'm wondering. I'd love to hear what you think. :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

(Thanks for moving this where Buddies can find it, Kimberley...)

I can see my TV in my living room from my kitchen, due to the way my house is laid out

:bcb_bigsm

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

I thought a TV in my TV room AND the den (mainly for DH, alone) should be enough in our new home...

But I just realized I did a LOT more in the kitchen when I could watch from the family room...:bcb_smile:salut

So I borrowed my mom's little TV yesterday, and realized I stayed in the kitchen a LOT longer with it there...

In fact I was THINKING UP (prep) things I could do for the next meal and the next day...! :bcb_bigsm

So, I think it's better for me to have a TV in (or near) the kitchen so I can MOVE while I'm watching TV, rather than just SIT...:bcb_huh: (Or "ride the couch" as it is inelegantly put...:bcb_wink3)

Even though, in the kitchen I won't have a DVR and it will be "real time", I think I can pay attention when I want and ignore when I want (there are few shows where I "need" to hear every word)...and keep on moving! :bcb_up :exercise:

But I'll still like hearing what everybuddy has to say: I still haven't bought one yet...:bcb_wink3

And I guess what I REALLY want to know is: can you easily watch TV while you're in your kitchen...:salut

You're welcome Carol!

We have but *one* TV in our house and it's down in the basement! I've got a DVR down there so it will tape shows/movies we want to watch and we'll get to them in the evening when the kids are asleep. For years we didn't let our kids watch TV at all but I've loosened things up a bit so I'll let them watch The Amazing Race and sometimes Survivor (depending on the language). Claire lives for So You Think You Can Dance in the summer. That's about it around here though.

I think it might come in handy to have a TV in the kitchen so I can listen while doing all my cooking (since I cook everything from scratch) but instead I tend to use my time in the kitchen to either meditate or talk to DH if he's around helping! I get the kids to help me with cooking and cleaning up so it's quality family time as well!

Kimberley

Right now, the kitchen, dining area, and living room all adjoin. The tv is more visible in the dining area than the kitchen, so it's hard to watch tv from the kitchen while cooking, but easy when doing dishes. I hate that the tv is so easy to see from the dining area b/c I prefer it be off while we're at the table. DH is like a stubborn little kid and refuses to abide by this rule, even though we don't have cable so he can only watch four channels! We're moving in August and I think it might be easy to situate the table in such a way it's impossible to see the tv. (I hope.) Anyhow, hope this helps.

blk-weight.png

Yes, I love having a tv in my kitchen. I never thought it would be a big deal, but I spend a lot of time in my kitchen as it's really the hub of my house, and I've found it's nice to have the option to watch the news, etc. while I'm busy. I'm definitely an information junkie, though! :bcb_blush

I LOVE my tv in the kitchen. I used to have a 5" spacesaver, but when that died I got a 9" tv-dvd player combo. It sits way back in the corner of the counter. I recently had to buy a cheap dvd player to sit on top because the one in the tv quit on me. I figured that would probably happen.

The kitchen tv is important for me because I can't even look out a window when I'm facing my sink and counter. It helps pass the time when I'm preparing food and cleaning up. The dvd player is good for Saturdays and Sundays when most of the programming is infomercials.

It's time to try defying gravity!

I think I'll try defying gravity!

A few months ago, I got a medium-sized flat screen TV and got my brother to put it up in the kitchen with one of those wall-mount brackets. I put it where I can just glance over when I'm cooking, washing dishes, cutting stuff up, etc. I LOVE it. The bracket allows me to swing it out if needed away from the cabinets, in case I need to open the one beside it really wide for some reason. It folds pretty much flat against the wall also with this bracket. He ran the cable in through the wall and under the cabinets to hook to it. It's a time saver for me, and encourages me to get in the kitchen. I can have something simmering, baking, whatever and do other things as well, all while watching a court case, Nancy Grace, American Idol, or the news!:bcb_smile My other TV is in the living room, where I have my exercise bike and use my weights and stability ball, but I don't like having one in the bedroom. I see so many things on the internet, like cooking videos, that I would like to watch in the kitchen that I'm thinking about getting a laptop/notebook, but I don't think that that alone would justify the cost. You can watch so many shows on the internet now that a laptop might just suffice instead of a TV!

Kimberley, I refused to let DD have a TV in her room when she was growing up. However, she put a TV in her daughter's room already...and she's only 2! She just watches kiddie shows and movies, but I don't like it, even though lots of it is educational. Of course, it was just the two of us when she was growing up, so she and I watched things that SHE wanted to watch (and what was appropriate for her, which is what parents do, right? :) I think DD's husband watches what he wants and DD is more into her DD watching educational stuff, so maybe that's the reason for the bedroom TV.

My niece had her son when she was pretty young (17), and we had lots of discussions about MTV being on when he was a toddler!!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Guest TryingWW

I have a tv in the kitchen. I don't "watch" it but listen to the show while I'm cleaning. I'm much more likely to hand wash the floors if there is something on that I'm interested in watching! It is also the only time I allow myself to have a soap on. So if I'm at home and it is 2:00, I know I need to clean the kitchen if I want to see my soap. I keep cleaning as long as the show is on. It doesn't take that long to do but I still find something to do until the show is over. If it has been a snowy or rainy week and I've been home every afternoon, the kitchen is VERY clean, including having all the cabinets organized and doors waxed.

Generally, I don't sit and watch TV. It is my treat (if you will) while I'm doing something: washing the floors, cleaning the frig or doing dishes. I also have one in front of the treadmill. There are some shows that I "save" just for running. Usually a movie or the Biggest Loser. I generally pick something that is about 2 hours and just get into a groove. We have a multi-room DVR (Fios) so I can watch whatever I want, whenever I want. The best part is I can start by cleaning the family room, do the living room and dining room (because I can hear it from family room) and then head upstairs and continue watching on a different TV.

We have moved pretty regularly. A couple of houses ago, my husband installed a TV in the bathroom. Before you all say "what???" you need to understand that I had 2 babies in 2 years. After the second baby, I realized that at as soon as they were in bed 7-7:30, I was done for the day. No more dishes, laundry, or cleaning. It was my time. So I started taking a bath. They turned into very long baths!! I would usually turn on some music and read a book. My husband thought I would enjoy watching movies since I certainly didn't have time for TV during the day (and would not allow one on while the kids were in the room). It was great! I also found that I did not put off cleaning the master bath if I could watch something. It definitely was the cleanest bathroom in the house!

When we moved to the next house, there wasn't enough wall space in the master bath and that was when we put one in the kitchen. Again, it definitely motivated me to be there and cleaning! That master bath had a fireplace. I can't decide which I like more. Having the fireplace on and having a nice toasty room to bathe, or watching a movie. We recently moved again and I don't have a fireplace or a TV. The kids are older and I don't need the extra long bath, although I still indulge once in awhile.

For a short time, we lived in temporary housing while our house was being finished. It did not have a tv in the kitchen. Even the though the kitchen was tiny, I hated cleaning it. The radio just isn't the same for me.

Its not in the Kitchen. Its in the family room. But I watch/listen to it easily while cooking.

We do have one in the bedroom but it very rarely gets used. I have turned it on sometimes and been a sleep with in 5 minutes so just not worth turning on as it wakes me in a few hours :)

We're not TV people; I don't want most of those people on TV in my house!!

And I subscribe to the adage: "do what you're doing." Have intention when preparing food, cleaning, etc. Focus on that one thing. I find it very peace-promoting in a very hectic life, instead of being all scattered doing 5 things at once. Of course, I'm always trying not to do 5 things at once, but at least I'm trying!!!

There is a TV in the family room that can be viewed and heard from the kitchen, but unless it is a ball game, it is never on. And if we are watching it, we sit down and watch it. At our house in the mountains we don't have any reception and haven't ordered cable or satellite; we just use the TV that came with the house for a DVD movie now and again. Different strokes for different folks!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I have a lovely flat-screen that dh got me for my birthday. I am lucky to have a large kitchen and plenty of counterspace. I have to cable hook-up so I watch dvds. It's a great way for me to catch up on tv shows I missed. I am working my way through the entire West Wing right now. I am always watching the Simpsons and Arrested Development in between.

Amy-SAHM of 4

HW: 217

CW: 217

Starting WW's new plan (again for the millionth time) 1/2/12

Gee, thanks for all the varied responses! :bcb_grin

So far CW WINS "The boy with the most toys" contest...:bcb_up:bcb_happy

(Anybuddy have more than CW?...! :bcb_wink3 I can't imagine...:bcb_wink3

So, Dee's post really spoke to me, making my decision. "Earning" her TV show by WORKING while WATCHING...And I LOVED the SPARKLING HOUSE she got because of it! LOL.

So we checked out TVs when we went to Costco, and I got a cute little 19" (it looks smaller) Sony Bravia flat screen HD that has a handle for portability. And it was very reasonable.

I couldn't believe it. It's hooked up to cable on my kitchen counter, but I didn't expect that we would receive HD channels...but they are MIXED IN with the regular! :bcb_bigsm

So I'm set. :salut

I'm ready to wash and chop a mountain of veggies while being entertained. :bcb_smile

I'd still like to hear from everybuddy else~

Great, Carol! Have fun with it!!:bcb_smile

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I think I tied CW :bcb_cry:. We have a TV in each of the 5 bedrooms (kids all bought their own TVs when they were older and had jobs). 1 in the family room, 1 in the kitchen, and one in the basement. I LOVE having one in the kitchen! I spend so much time in there and it really helps when doing chores. I NEVER sit and watch TV (unless I'm also on the computer), I'm always doing something while I watch. I catch the news at some point during the day, I never watch "regular" TV, can't stand the shows that are on now. I watch either hockey (Center ice package- soon to end bcb_sad) or HGTV or Food TV. I also listen to the radio a lot. I will say, if I could do it over again, I would NOT let the kids have TVs in their rooms. Some nights, we're all in different rooms- watching the same thing! I don't think it's good for "family-time". Thankfully, we do a lot of "game nights" to stay connected :bcb_wink3 :bcb_up.

*Linda*

SW- 168

CW- 140

GW- 130

I have a small TV in my kitchen now but never did before we moved to this house in Oct of 2007. At my other house I could either see it directly or by looking around the corner depending on where the furniture was placed. At this house we have a built in entertainment center and it's on the same wall as the kitchen. I can't even put a mirror where I can see a reflection. LOL So our first Christmas here dh got me a small one for a small counter space. (big kitchen) I love it and the only thing that would make it better is if I had our new dish hook going to it next month. Oh well like someone else said I watch my missed shows I record on my dvd recorder. I'm glad you got a nice TV for your kitchen Carol. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Kathy

Over goal and not happy

Great, Carol! Have fun with it!!

Thanks, Katie. I watched a gardening show today. I used to love gardening shows, while I was cooking/working in the kitchen in my other home. But I won't sit and watch one, usually. So this was FUN! Gave me ideas to grow VERTICALLY in my SMALL backyard. :bcb_up

Please do Not let my DH see CW post..........

Okay, Wendy. We'll keep it quiet...:bcb_up

I think I tied CW :bcb_cry:. We have a TV in each of the 5 bedrooms (kids all bought their own TVs when they were older and had jobs). 1 in the family room, 1 in the kitchen, and one in the basement. I LOVE having one in the kitchen! I spend so much time in there and it really helps when doing chores. I NEVER sit and watch TV (unless I'm also on the computer), I'm always doing something while I watch. I catch the news at some point during the day, I never watch "regular" TV, can't stand the shows that are on now. I watch either hockey (Center ice package- soon to end bcb_sad) or HGTV or Food TV. I also listen to the radio a lot. I will say, if I could do it over again, I would NOT let the kids have TVs in their rooms. Some nights, we're all in different rooms- watching the same thing! I don't think it's good for "family-time". Thankfully, we do a lot of "game nights" to stay connected

I didn't think it would happen: We've got a tie! :bcb_up :bcb_grin

If I could do it over again, I would never let a child have a computer in their bedroom either.

Live and learn~ :bcb_huh:

I have a small TV in my kitchen now but never did before we moved to this house in Oct of 2007. At my other house I could either see it directly or by looking around the corner depending on where the furniture was placed. At this house we have a built in entertainment center and it's on the same wall as the kitchen. I can't even put a mirror where I can see a reflection. LOL So our first Christmas here dh got me a small one for a small counter space. (big kitchen) I love it and the only thing that would make it better is if I had our new dish hook going to it next month. Oh well like someone else said I watch my missed shows I record on my dvd recorder. I'm glad you got a nice TV for your kitchen Carol. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I missed your post, Kathy! :bcb_smile

So you are getting it hooked up? I'm surprised at how many channels there are...:bcb_huh:

More than on our others. During set-up it asked if I wanted to set-up "air channels", too, and I said "Yes". The numbers don't match up with the channels I'm used to, but I'm sure I'll find my favorites.

And this is without the Comcast "box". Just plugged into the cable outlet...:bcb_smile

Have fun, Kathy. I'll picture you in your kitchen now! :wave:

The poll is 6 "Yes", 14 "No"..TVs in your kitchen.

But based on what people have said, 12 can see TV from their kitchens and 2 don't have one.

That's so far...:salut :bcb_bigsm

No TV in the kitchen, but I can see the one in the living room from the kitchen, but only if I'm standing up. Can't sit & watch in the kitchen, if that's what you're asking.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png