Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
katiasasha

Patience through weight gains

Hello!

I just increased my exercise last week from 2-3 walks per week to the walks + Firm DVDs. I absolutely love the DVDs and love adding in the strength training. I've had more energy than I've had in months, feel like I'm already tightening up, sleeping better, and building my endurance--tons of positives.

But, I was OP all week and gained 2.2 lbs at my WI. This happened my last go round on WW--OP + Firm DVDs and I had steady gains--for about 6 weeks straight. I did use my WPAs and APs and didn't experiment with adjusting that. Most people here and my leader recommended not lowering that. The steady gains despite doing things right, along with a new job and crazy schedule, and I gave up the exercise first and then went off program. Terrible solution, I know. I just got SO frustrated and used it as an excuse to give up when life got busy.

I don't want to do that again. I remember reading something from he Firm literature about waiting MONTHS to see weight loss (but toning and smaller in inches after 10 workouts) when you start. They actually recommend setting aside the scale for the first few months and only measuring by how your clothes fit.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to post my commitment that I'm going to stick it out this time no matter what the scale says. I'm going to focus on all the other positives. I'm going to take my measurements and use that as an indicator. I will come here when I'm feeling frustrated and post the positives I am experiencing instead of giving up. Any other suggestions or advice? TIA!

Aimee

weight.png

BlueTeamSig.jpg

Guest hooahwife2be09

I have been struggling with that same problem.I stay op,drink my water,walk plus other types of excercise everyday,etc,and instead of loss i have weight gain! It gets really frustrating at times! I started back on WW back in March and slowly began adding in excercise the a few weeks ago.

Guest TryingWW

You may want to double check the amount of APs you are earning by using a heart monitor or taking your pulse. I think many overestimate the amount of exercise and the level that they are earning. For walking it is almost 2 miles for 1 point since you will burn from 50-65 calories per mile (the range is based on weight). Even though some exercise videos and cardio machines claim that you burn 600-800 calories per hour, it is highly unlikely. Since it happened last time, I'm guessing that you aren't earning as many APs as you think you are.

If you think you are counting your APs correctly, give it some time. Sometimes when you have a dramatic increase in exercise, you will retain some water at first. In any case, gaining that much in one week, it is unlikely it is muscle that soon. Have you also checked the sodium (sports drinks? diet cola? frozen dinners) that you are consuming? Maybe that is adding to the water gain.

I would say, don't get hung up on the scale just yet. You are smart to use other ways in addition to the scale. Measurements, cardio endurance (can you exercise for longer periods of time??), cardio recovery (amount of time that it takes you to recover after exercise), etc.. are other ways you can monitor progress.

I'll second what Dee said. Double-check your APs. Make sure you're counting the right level of activity (or count everything as light just to be sure). Once that's done, then just follow the plan. Don't listen to the scale -- scales lie. Remember, not every gain is a failure!

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Guest jamison

I understand your frustration, I have experienced the same thing! A few years ago when I bought the Transfirmer, the scale actually went up. I just started using it again last week, and walked on the off days, and had a 1.4 gain this week....BUT, I can tell that I feel more toned, more energy, etc., just like you. I didn't miscalculate my AP's, because I didn't even count them. I am going to go by how my clothes fit and how I feel rather than what the scale says. I am doing the videos with sculpting, so I do believe I am building muscle. I hope you don't get discouraged either, just remember what Ali says, "this is good for you!!" :)

Guest TryingWW

From what I've read in training manuals and research it takes a female body builder approximately one month to gain 0.5 pounds of true muscle. You may see toning but I doubt a 1.5 pound a week gain is muscle. I don't want to burst your bubbles but think you need to realistic about the amount of muscle gained. I think you are just fooling yourself it you think you are gaining muscle that quickly.

From what I've read in training manuals and research it takes a female body builder approximately one month to gain 0.5 pounds of true muscle. You may see toning but I doubt a 1.5 pound a week gain is muscle. I don't want to burst your bubbles but think you need to realistic about the amount of muscle gained. I think you are just fooling yourself it you think you are gaining muscle that quickly.

Yes and no, I got this link http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm from the exercise reference sticky thread at the top of the page. It is not all muscle you are gaining but stores of glysyemic (whatevers...) that make your body hold on to more water stores while you are resistance training. Click on the link. It makes great sense. The article was posted as "Why The Scale Lies."

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Same situation here...grrrr! I guess I'll have to toss the scale for a while too. Keep up the exercising!! :)

I'm keeping up the exercising! I am conservatively counting the APs. I had a great OP week with lots of workouts and gained 6.6 lbs. this week! I think some of that is paying the scale for not being OP the week before, but I think I'm also retaining lots of water from all the workouts. It is really frustrating to see the numbers go up that much! Argh!

But, I have to remember that I FEEL so much better and I feel better in my clothes (looser). I will KOKO! I know it will come off in time if I keep doing the right things.

Aimee

weight.png

BlueTeamSig.jpg

Hi Aimee!

I already posted once but just read your last post with latest gain. I'm so sorry!! I know exactly what you're going through because I started on a tough workout regimen about 3 weeks ago and even though I was OP, I gained, gained, gained every week and I was so discouraged, I was about ready to quit. What worked for me was that I had to hide my scales. I am a compulsive weigher and I really needed the #s to tell me whether or not I'd had a good week. So, if I'd done well and got a bad # on the scale, it was like I HADN'T done well. It was just too discouraging. It almost knocked me off program. My husband hid the scale for me, and I just pulled out a pair of jeans that I couldn't pull up. I'm trying them on every 3 weeks and if I'm losing weight, they'll eventually fit. It's frustrating not knowing what I weigh, though, but it is the only thing that works for me with all this exercise. Hope this helps!!!

... and I just pulled out a pair of jeans that I couldn't pull up. I'm trying them on every 3 weeks and if I'm losing weight, they'll eventually fit.

I just wanted to say I love this idea, thanks for planting the seed!

KarenF