Health Discovery Network
AmyLynn

Delta Force Daily, Tuesday, May 19

Good Morning DF. With only 5 days left till we leave on vacation and 2 and a half weeks into healing my broken rib I sneezed several times in a row yesterday afternoon. I felt absolutely no pain so I decided I'd go to Zumba last night. I've really been taking it easy since I hurt myself, just walking and holding on to a "noodle" in the pool and kicking my feet in all different directions. It was raining all day so I couldn't go out for a walk or to the pool so I thought I'd give it a shot. I felt no pain throughout the class but I'm sure I didn't give it 100% effort. After class I did the elliptical machine with no arms for an hour. My T shirt was wet with sweat for the first time in 2 and a half weeks. It felt great !!!!

My plan is to try Turbo kick boxing tonight. If I feel any discomfort at all I'll quit. I'm half way through the healing process and my rib is now fused, so I think I'll be OK. (I just can't tell Ed, he wants me to "take it easy"). My food choices have been great. Up until my injury I was really hitting it hard. It was effective though, I managed to lose 20 pounds in the last 9 weeks (since we planned the Hawaii, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver vacation). I didn't reach my goal, but I'm well on my way. All Ed has been doing is talking about the restaurants he wants to go to on our trip, and I keep telling him I want to come home in the same clothes I leave in. "NO MU MU'S". He's a real "Foodie", so I'm really going to have to make some wise choices where food is concerned. I hate not being able to prepare my own meals, but I'll do the best I can, and try to get as much physical activity as I can.

Any suggestions of how to handle this trip will be greatly appreciated. We'll be gone 14 days.

Have a great day everybuddy !!

Good Morning! :wave:

No improvement to report on the allergy front. We haven't had reactions this bad in quite a few years. This must just be a bad year for whatever pollen/ragweed strains are floating about. I'm not going to go to the gym this morning as I'm not feeling strong enough to lift weights and I can't breathe well enough to do something as intense as a spin class. Instead, I'm going to meet up with a friend and we'll walk either the 6 or 9 mile loop in the park. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that many eyes rolled after I just wrote that I wasn't feeling well enough to go to the gym but am feeling well enough to walk 9 miles. What can I say? I'm not up to the high-intensity stuff but I can either stay home on the couch and suffer from allergies or go for a walk, burn some calories and suffer from allergies. I can't just stop my life completely for weeks because of something as insignificant as limited breathing capabilities! LOL :bcb_grin

Have a great OP day everybuddy! :salut

Tamara- :welcome: back!

AmyLynn- I think the easiest thing to do is to follow Core while you're on vacation. Stick to poached eggs or veggie omelets without cheese or unsweetened oatmeal or plain yogurt with fruit for breakfast. For lunch & dinner, you can always get plain grilled meats and steamed veggies without oil (potato once a day). It might also help keep you off the "dessert path"-- which is where I *always* get into trouble!

Kimberley

Morning all. My gums don't seem so sore today, thank goodness. That was really uncomfortable:bcb_cry:

Kimberly, enjoy your walk. I don't have allergies, so I can't say "I know how you feel". I do have another illness (though in "remission" more or less), and it could keep me from doing ALL my exercising. But I won't let that stop me. Not now, not ever. We all have a choice, and we make the one that best suits us. Push through, do what we can. That's all there is!:salut

Amy Lynn...I said it before, I'll say it again. Just go and have a wonderful time. To me, this sounds like a trip of a lifetime!! I understand the part about Ed being so excited about the different restaurants, and you being scared. Just let go a little. I don't mean go and eat everything in site. But, don't, how can I say this nicely, don't be a "martyr". When you get to the restaurant, remember that most restaurants these days realize that people ARE health concious, and will cook the food the way you want it. But, please, honey, don't go into the restuarant (the way I've done in the past) with the attitude that there's nothing here I can eat so I'll just eat anything. If necessary, skip the desserts. Or ask Ed for "one bite", and stop at that one bite. I do think it's all about OUR attitude. You can do this, girlfriend. I know you can. Just don't freak out about it. You know they say that stress can make you gain weight!! No stress! You're going on a vacation! That's a wonderful thing!:bcb_up

So, what are my plans for today! (Gosh, I love being on vacation, even if I'm not going anywhere!!) This morning, depending on the weather, I'll either run outside, or do some cardio at the gym. I had to cut my cardio short yesterday at the gym, my stomach was "acting up", and, how can I put this nicely, um, I was concerned for people around me!!:bcb_blush:bcb_huh::bcb_cry: KWIM?

Then, later this afternoon, it's haircut (and eyebrow) time! Whew, I hate when my hair is over my ears!! (yes, this coming from someone with waist-length hair growing up!):bcb_grin

I'll check in later. I expect to see many responses here! Delta Force is back in FULL force!!

L:bcb_tank:

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

It's a beautiful day out there, so I'm going to go for a run now!:bcb_salut

Author unknown

I am so hungry with absolutely no reason to be. I added bacon to my 1 pt. bagel and 1 pt. cheese wedge this morning. I was hungry when I got here. I've already eaten my first snack, which probably means I have to count the two as one serving. My stomach just growled! This is insane. I should not be hungry. I finish yesterday on plan, I actually didn't even use my APs, but I'm not banking them because I guessed at the points in the brownie and if I was wrong the APs can cover the extra. This is a long day--a bad day for a hungry day. Tuesday night church classes are back in session so I will leave, pick up DH and head to church. I have a 4 point lunch for today, a 2 point apple, aloo cabbage(maybe 2 pts), 0 point carrots and hopefully this will get me though the day.

blk-weight.png

Good Morning!

I am ready for another strong day. :bcbkickbu My exercise is done - 45 minutes of incline walking which was good for 400 calories gone. :bcb_smile

I've got one of those large value packs of chicken thawing out now. I will make some balsamic chicken for tonight and some grilled chicken for another dinner and some lunches this week.

Jeni - My .02 is to eat a larger breakfast with plenty of protein to keep you satisfied.

Kimberley - I only have mild dust and mold allergies so I'm not speaking from experience here at all, but wouldn't walking outside for such a long period of time exacerbate your allergies? I know you're not up for a spin class or anything intense like that, but how about walking indoors at the gym for easier breathing. Again, just my .02. I feel bad for you.

Kimberly- I agree with Cindy and I do have horrid allergies. I can always do more in a gym than outside just because half way through even a three mile walk I start sneezing excessively and coughing. I don't know how you do it!

blk-weight.png

Jen, I'm a little concerned that you're not eating ENOUGH! And, cabbage, unless you've added something to it, is zero points. cindy's right, eat more protein at breakfast. A 1 pt bagel isn't going to hold you over at all. It sounds like you eat breakfast at work? do you eat eggs? Maybe hard boil some and bring it with you. What about cereal with fruit, slivered almonds? I eat either oatmeal with 1/2 banana and almonds, or a combo of Fiber 1, Total, almonds, sliced strawberries and dried cranberries. With skim milk (1 cup) comes out to 6 points. Try changing it up, and EAT ENOUGH!! Don't be afraid to eat your WEEKLY POINTS ALLOWANCE!! That's what it's there for. If you're not eating enough, and getting so hungry, well, you know what's going to happen. Eat some fruits and veggies to fill you up. Come on girl...we're all routing for ya!:bcb_up

Well, I did go for my run! OMG, it's so nice out there! I love the sunshine. I went on our bike path, not as many people as I expected. A few runners, mostly leisurly walkers! Not me, boy! I ran! It felt so good. hard for me at times, I'm not used to even the smallest of inclines when running, and there are a few small hills. But, I did it. Accomplished what I wanted (and that was 3.2mi)

Now, it's off to shower. I've got to run into the quilting store on my way to the mall! yes, I wait for the first sunny day, and I've got to spend it inside:bcb_mad2 I've got a hair appt at 3, but first have to exchange 2 tops dh got me for mothers day, and buy a pair of capri's for dinner tomorrow (our 36 anniversary), AND buy HIM an anniv gift! Something for his new-found love.....cooking!! he wants good knives, so maybe I can afford 1 LOL!

Author unknown

Hello all, I'm new, but I agree with everyone else about eating more protein. I try to eat three main meals, all with some protein, and two high protein snacks each day. I usually do either veggies with hummus, a few almonds, or celery and 1 Tbl penut butter(all about 2 pts). It doesn't take much protein to take the edge off of your hunger. You can do it.

Laura

Laura P

weight.png

Jeni- I agree that if you're eating a lot of carbs, that won't hold you over. Give Core a try and see how you feel. It's amazing how much one little bagel can set you off for the entire day!

Laura- Great job with the run!

Laura- :welcome:

Cindy- Believe it or not, I have allergies to heating/cooling systems (mostly the mold in the ducts). I get more sick spending too much time indoors than outdoors. That being said, they were mowing the grass in the park at various points and my biggest allergy is grass!! :ugh: Honestly, I just feel like crap all day long whether I'm indoors or outdoors. Part of me feels that if I just get exposed enough, my body will develop an immunity!! Either way, I'll be exercising indoors at the gym (away from the vents) for the rest of the week!

Kimberley

Thanks for all the advice. There is potatos in the cabbage. I used the recipe builder and it said it was 4 points/cup, but I didn't take into consideration I left the coconut out. It's possible I didn't eat enough yesteray and that's why I was starving today. (I had one cup of aloo cabbage and one corn tortilla for dinner.) About the carbs, I don't know! Through trial and error I learned that I have to have carbs between 3-4pm or I eat way too much when I get home. As for breakfast I was doing sugar free whole shredded wheat cereal w/ 1/2 cup fat free lactose free milk and that kept me satisfied, but I just got tired of it about two weeks ago and couldn't force myself to eat it. One problem is I'm a really picky eater. I can't eat oatmeal b/c I hate the texture. I was a vegetarian for 5 years and I still don't eat a lot of meat. (Maybe, once a day, sometimes not at all, ocassionally twice). Eggs might be a good option if I could cook them for the week on the weekend, thoug I'm not that fond of eggs. I was on a high protein diet for a while before weight watchers and actually gained weight.

blk-weight.png

Hi everyone,

Colonoscopy is done... they found a polyp and the reason for my bowel problems - I have a twisted colon. The doctor didn't talk much since I was groggy, I have an appointment to go over everything next month.

Yesterday, I also went to my other doctor - ALL restrictions are gone. I can get back to normal!

Hi Laura, WELCOME to DELTA FORCE!! We are so glad you joined us. Post often, so we get to know you.

Laurie, Great job on your run!

Cindy, you motivate me! You're doing AWESOME!

Kimberley, gosh.. I feel bad for you that you are suffering from such bad allergies!

AmyLynn, tell me where you're going again - I must have missed it or had a memory lapse! Anyway.. be careful with your exercise. I know it's hard to stay down! DH has been the same with me.. I had to sneak it in. I am lucky in the fact that once I boost my metabolism up with exercise, (like before my cruise and my surgeries) it takes a couple months or so of no exercise to revert back and make me have a real gain. I am at the point now, so I really have to be careful... thankfully I can really exercise fully again!

Jeni, these ladies give great advise and tips, hope you learn how to work the program so that it really works 100% for you. You can do it!

Finally - my other BIG news is that I found my puppy!!!! It's a boy, he is adorable and I brought him home yesterday. I'll have to take so pictures of him. He is 3 months old and just 2 pounds! He is so tiny!!

~Denise~

weight.png

Made Lifetime 3/08/2000

Never since returned to starting weight... However, I have had to recommit from time to time... and get this back into order. This is NOT a diet, but a lifetime way of eating.

Denise, so glad your colonoscopy's done! It'll be interesting to hear what the doc says about your twisted colon! Sounds painful:bcb_worry that's exciting about the puppy!! Can't WAIT to see pics!!

Jen, as for the cereal, if you got tired of the shredded wheat, why not try something else? There are a lot of good, whole grain, low or no sugar cereals out there...get something with protein! And, like I said in my earlier post, put some fruit and nuts in it. It'll really help fill you, without adding TOO many points. You've got to figure out what's going to work for you. NOT eating enough isn't!

Hey, Laura...welcome!

Kimberly, sorry you are suffering so. Isn't there a "happy medium" somewhere out there for you?

Went to the mall today, did some damage shopping. Now that clothes fit great and look good, I just wanna keep shopping! Then, got my hair cut, now and making dinner! I worked up an appetite shopping:bcb_grin

I'll check back in later! Gotta keep an eye on you people!:bcb_drill

Author unknown

Mmmmm, strange. I feel like someone is watching me? Hey, it's Laurie peeking over all our shoulders! LOL :bcb_grin

Jeni- How about hot cereals? I *love* making millet. I toast it and then steam it (like rice) and will add in fresh fruit & soy milk. Quinoa is even higher in protein but I find that quinoa is better done savory than as a sweet. Where eggs are concerned, you can make frittata or crustless quiche. There's even a recipe around here for breakfast "muffins" made with eggs that you can take with you. I like to make the core oatmeal pancake as it's very high in protein and has both eggs & oatmeal but in a way different package!

Denise- Glad the colonoscopy went well. Did they remove the polyp? I hope the twisted colon doesn't take too much to fix. I guess it can't be too serious if they're making you wait a month for the follow up?? :bcb_confu CONGRATS on the new puppy!

Laurie- My happy medium is probably staying home and doing FIRM workouts (rotating daily between cardio and sculpting workouts so I don't burn out the muscles) but I prefer to have the scenery move around a bit more. I don't know how I did FIRM workouts in the basement for so many months back in 2007. I guess I wasn't ready to get out in "public" at my weight back then. Now I don't like to be confined at home unless I have no other options! I'm back to the gym for the rest of the week (most likely) and I'll just stay away from the vents in the classes!

Kimberley

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on how to handle my trip. I really do want to have a great time and not be a Martyr about having to "watch" what I eat. I just have to remind myself that wearing a Petite size 6 feels better then any food can actually taste.

Denise... what kind of Puppy did you get? I had a Shih Tzu that was my "son" for 19 years, and a 12 year old, 3 pound Yorkie that was a rescue after having 5 homes. Both are now in Doggy Heaven and I really miss them. I'd really love to have a female Apricot Malti-poo puppy, but I think I'll wait till I retire and have the time to spend with her. Between work, the gym and dancing.. I'm rarely home and it just wouldn't be fair to have a dog that would be alone most of the time.

Kimberly... so sorry about the allergies. Wish I could offer some advice, but I just tough them out since none of the meds seem to work for me effectively anyway. I can rarely breathe through my nose.

Cindy... sounds like you're back on track and hellamotivated.

Laura... Welcome to DF

Jen... like everyone else suggested.... more protein.

Laurie... I'm so jealous of you running. I used to love to run but since my knee surgery I can't. I never found out how you liked Zumba? Have you been going? I've already checked out classes in Seattle and Honolulu. I'm going to try to get to at least one at each destination. I'm a "Zumbafied" addict.

I decided not to push my luck and risk reinjuring my rib half way through the healing. I'm skipping Turbo kick boxing tonight. I'm going to go to the gym later this evening and do the elliptical while I watch Dancing with the Stars. GO GILLES !!!

I haven't started packing yet, but I've made a list of everything I'll need so I don't forget. It's going to be difficult packing for 2 different climates. Seattle's wet and in the 50's, and Honolulu is sunny and in the 80's. I haven't even researched Portland or Vancouver yet.

Have a good evening everyone... Peace out

Kimberly- That actually sounds good. At the risk of sounding completely stupid, what are millet and quinoa and where do you find them? But, my oven doesn't work can you cook it on a stove top?

blk-weight.png

Denise.... just wanted to tell you that about five years ago, I too, had a colonoscopy done. They said my colon was to long for my body. There is a big medical name for it, but that is how the Dr. explained it to me. I have taken Miralax daily since. It use to be perscription, but is now sold over the counter. Hope that is all it will take to fix you.

Clara

Non-smoker since 11-15-01

WW goal..... 120

Personal Goal... 110

CW.... 106.5... 04/01/21

AmyLynn, I "quit" the Zumba classes. I really didn't like the instructor...just couldn't connect with her. Plus, that was my only evening of the week coming right home (well, after WW, that is). All other nights, I'm at the gym till almost 7:30. I need one evening home. I think if I had liked the instructor, it would have been a different story. Live and learn!

good idea about not taking the kickboxing class right now. the last thing you want is to re-injure yourself.

I got to cook tonight! Ya know, I used to do ALL the cooking around here, and I loved it. It's only since dh's surgery, and his being home, that he started doing it. That plus the fact, again, that I don't get home from the gym till 7:30. Now, I give a quick call when I'm done, and it's ready and waiting for me!! And, he's pretty GOOD, too!

Meanwhile, I was tooling around the Cooking Light site, and printed out about a dozen recipes. Tonight I made tilapia with a spicy (as in hot) pineapple salsa. Excellent!!

Jen, glad you're thinking about what we've all said. More protein!!

OK, gotta run to the drug store and get gas, too!

Take care,

L:bcb_anima

Author unknown

Hi Buddies

It's an OP day. I was feeling a bit ravenous when I got home from work, so I had a can of green beans. It's a beautiful day and I might just get out for a run later.

AmyLynn~It sounds like your rib is healing well, but I am glad you decided NOT to do the kick boxing. About your trip. First of all, have a plan in place. Tell yourself you will be OP, but it's about balance too. Smaller portions with the higher point foods and savory those things. Enjoy the fresh fruits, veggies, etc. Also if necessary, have a glass of water before you eat. Don't forget to exercise some too. Finally, have a great vacation!

Kimberley~Hugs buddy. I have never had allergies, thankfully. I hope this improves soon!

Laurie~You are cracking me up about your vacation. It has allowed you more time here and I like that.:bcb_up You have gotten to be quite the runner. Your running makes me smile and inspires me, proud of you buddy. It's fun, isn't it?

Jeni~You have been given a lot of good advice. I hope that helps you.

Cindy~You are sounding so strong in your posts and are inspiring.

Laura~Welcome to the Delta Force. Post often so we get to know you.

Denise~Did they remove the polyp? I am guessing they did. A twisted bowel huh, jeepers. Whoo hoo on getting cleared on exercise. Hmmm, will Denise be our next runner???:work_out::bcb_grin Excuse me, but where are the puppy pictures? I have to see this cute little bugger you are talking about!:bcb_smile

Clara~Hello!

Hello to all that follow. Missing HD, Jillian, Leigh....I trust Deedee is having a wonderful OP vacation!

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Trudie- Way to power through! :bcbkickbu

AmyLynn- The meds don't work for me either. I could use an inhaler or steroids but I don't need to gain 30lbs (or more) every year from the drugs alone! :bcb_down

Jeni- You might need to go to a Whole Foods store or health food store to get millet but you might be able to find it at a regular grocery store in the organic section. We have the last functioning mill in the province just north of us so I drive there to get all my grains, beans, etc.

For millet, you would set a kettle of water to boil on the stove. In a sauce pan, measure out 1c of millet and add in some canola oil & cinnamon. Turn the heat to medium and "toast" the millet until it starts to crackle. By that time, the water will likely have started to boil. Pour 2c of boiling water into the saucepan, cover and set to low/simmer for 20-25 minutes. It will cook like rice and absorb all the liquid. If you cook it plain, you can use it like rice as a side dish for any meal. If you put the cinnamon in, you'll likely want to keep it for a hot breakfast cereal. I pour soy milk & cut in a banana or some blueberries (or any fruit) and eat it like cereal. I also use it as a side dish with curries or anything that I'd use rice. Millet has more fiber & protein than rice.

Quinoa is similar if you're going to make it like a rice. Check out the Simply Filling board as there's a quinoa egg bake recipe there that I've tweaked (soy milk & sheep cheese) and am having for dinner tonight!

Kimberley

I'm so glad I found this group. You guys are so positive and full of good information. It was much easier to stay OP and get my exercise when I check in and see your e-mails.

Kimberly, I'm going to have to try the millet and quinoa. They both sound good and I love to try new things.

AmyLynn, I'm sure you are going to have a great trip. You are smart to plan for rain in Seattle, because it probably will be.

Have a great OP day!!

Laura P

weight.png

Good Evening!

I'm proud of myself for sticking to my guns and actually making the dinner that I earlier said I would when all I wanted to do tonight was escape and go out to eat. :bcb_worry It turned out to be a grueling day with school issues and dr. appt for DS and when I got home I suggested to DH that we just go out, and of course he's always a very willing participant, but fortunately this time I talked myself out of it fairly quickly. Hooray, a lot of points just saved! I'm really glad that I stuck to my plan.

Trudie - A can of beans, huh? I'm seriously going to have to try that. Hope you get that run in tonight and enjoy the fresh spring air.

Denise - Congratulations on the puppy. Can't wait to see a picture. Have you named him yet?

Amy - You can do this. Just make a plan before each meal and relax and enjoy yourself. Can't wait to see your vacation pictures already! :bcb_grin

Laurie - Nice job with the running! Sounds like you had a good workout at the mall today. :bcb_bigsm Definitely my favorite kind of exercise.

Kimberley - Good plan for exercise for the rest of the week. Hang in there. How long does this allergy season last anyway?

Laura - Welcome! Glad you decided to join us. :bcb_smile

Tamara - Welcome back. I'm happy you will be posting again.

Wendy - It was nice to see you pop in - wish you would post more, too.

Cindy~Good job sticking to your guns!:bcbkickbuSounds like the Force was with you.:bcb_happy Sorry you had such a day.

You mean to tell me that you haven't had a can of beans.:bcb_grin A can of beans has saved me many of times.

I did get my run in. As I was reading posts, I said I can't just sit here. Out the door I went for a 4 mile run. It was only 74, but that direct sun and I don't get along so well. I did swing in to a gas station and got some water and that helped.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Guest Babe Ruthless

Hey Buddies!

Thanks for the welcome back - if feels good to be here. It's been such a crazy crazy day at work and tommorow and the next and the next day won't be any better. BUt I am trying to leave the stress at work - thinking about all the stuff I have to do that wont' ever get done on time won't do any good. INstead I can focus on my goals, getting fit and finding nice shoes to wear to a family wedding next week. I did find TWO nice dresses at Dress Barn when we were in Vegas two weeks ago.

Good program day, and tommorow will be better as I learn how to work the program in a way that works for me! Someone was talking to me about LA Weight loss today and how great it was and I thought "that doesn't sound great at all!". Giving up certain foods, buying expensive juices and stuff. Nope, that's no way to learn how to eat healthy!

Kimberly - it has been a HORRIBLE season for hay fever out here too! The snow today (yes, snow) made today a bit easier but my lungs, eyes and sinuses are suffering so badly. I am hoping for a few days of rain to wash all the dust and pollen away. Instead, we got SNOW!

I had massage therapy tonight for my continuing whiplash issues and I feel quite beat up. So I am going to slip into my bath of epsom salts and drink a litre of water as recommended by the massage therapist. Apparently it helps move the lactic acid out of my muscles. I feel like I am bruised black and blue so into the bath I go.

It sure feels good to be here and see how all my buddies are doing. I am so proud of how well you all are doing!

SSKatie posted on another thread about a book called "The End of Overeating" and I thought it looked so promising that I immediatly bought it from Audible and downloaded it to my PDA> I'm only 7 minutes in but I already heard so much about myself and how I feel about food. I think I am going to have a few "AHA" moments while I listen to it. I'll keep you posted!

Take care and talk to you tommorow when I hope to be less sore and stiff. HEYYYY to all of you buddies!!!

Tamara