Health Discovery Network
spoiltmom

Struggling still..

Of all things I'm struggling with breakfast. I don't care much for breakfast food in general, I'm always really hungry in the mornings and I like something quick that won't mess up many dishes.

If I don't eat a really good breakfast then the rest of my day goes downhill. What do you all eat and what can you suggest for me? I have lunch, supper and snacks under control just fine but breakfast is soooo hard for me.

Thanks!

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

Amanda, you say you don't like most breakfast foods, so what kinds of foods do you like? Do you like tuna? Tuna salad for breakfast is good -- I make mine with apple chunks in it -- and that's not a traditional breakfast food!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Who says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast????

You can always eat whatever you eat for lunch or dinner at breakfast.

And, "If I don't eat a really good breakfast then the rest of my day goes downhill" is pretty much sabbotaging thinking, negative self talk, or at least a negative self fulfilling prophecy. I'd work on changing that negative message. I appreciate that it is an observation...BUT I still think it's destructive thinking...

How about, if I don't eat a really good breakfast (I suppose one that keeps you satisfied?) I can always have a really good snack when I'm hungry....and learn from experience..

Anyway, I eat breakfast in my car on workdays. It's either chocolate baked oatmeal, pumpkin polenta cake, or oatmeal creme brulee, all of them in "muffin" form. I eat TWO of them. (I make 12 at a time).

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Who says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast????

You can always eat whatever you eat for lunch or dinner at breakfast.

And, "If I don't eat a really good breakfast then the rest of my day goes downhill" is pretty much sabbotaging thinking, negative self talk, or at least a negative self fulfilling prophecy. I'd work on changing that negative message. I appreciate that it is an observation...BUT I still think it's destructive thinking...

How about, if I don't eat a really good breakfast (I suppose one that keeps you satisfied?) I can always have a really good snack when I'm hungry....and learn from experience..

Anyway, I eat breakfast in my car on workdays. It's either chocolate baked oatmeal, pumpkin polenta cake, or oatmeal creme brulee, all of them in "muffin" form. I eat TWO of them. (I make 12 at a time).

What I mean by that is if I don't eat a good breakfast by 9 am I have absoulutely no energy and I really need it for chasing after my toddler. She's quite a handful!

Are all those muffin recipes in the recipe forum?

Amanda

ds 03/25/10

dd 10/12/06

ds 09/19/00

232/150/138

I have a coffee and milk (there is a dairy!) and a Fiber 1 Bar (counting the points) almost every day.

I totally think it is worth the points for the convenience.

I am often not hungry in the morning, but I know I should eat to get my engine going. So I have my coffee, them when I am in the car for school drop off, I start to get hungry and there is my bar.

Of course, this could be done with a Core-bar type food also!

CW 137

GW 128

Teg

How about making a smoothie? Then you can sip as needed.

Yogurt, ice, fruit, milk, mmmmmmmmmm!

Teg

I seem to have gotten stuck on oatmeal. Here's what I have every morning:

Cook (pot is easy to clean):

Quick Oats (1/2 cup rounded, not skimpy)

1 cup water (also rounded, it's closer to 1 1/4 cup)

In my bowl I put a chopped pear if I have it or 1/3 of a can of pineapple tidbits (or nectarine or what-have-you). Next I dump on the oatmeal, then milk, then brown sugar twin.

This is very filling and lasts a long time (sometimes I need a banana smoothie for a snack, sometimes not). It also has the benefit of lowering cholesterol, I'm living proof!

Hope that helps-

Pat

SW 173 (Sept 2008)

CW 148.2 this morning (saw 147.0 Sunday)

Goal: size 12 pants

Pat, north of the border

Are all those muffin recipes in the recipe forum?

I just bumped some recipes up here, including: oatmeal creme brulee, pumpkin polenta cake and quiche.

I didn't mention the quiche, but it's a great basic recipe to be adapted as you wish. I just made it with ham. I used 1/2 c cornmeal and that is such a great addition!!!

I bumped up the chocolat baked oatmeal in the RECIPE forum. Because that is where it was....:bcb_wink3:bcb_blush

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I have either Cream of wheat or shredded wheat or occasionally two Hard boiled eggs. I also have some kind of fruit, but I don't eat these together, I tend to stretch out my food eating one item at a time over the course of the day. Other than dinner which normally has meat, veg, starch, in some combination.

McCall

----------------------------------------------

weight.png

The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference

Hello,

I am a teacher, and have to eat pretty early in the a.m., which I am usually not too hungry for, but if I miss it, I get RAVENOUS.

So, I eat one of the following, (some require WPA, but few)

two pieces of ww toast with yog. cheese and olive oil

similar oatmeal to what was described above, with soymilk

On the weekends, or when I have more time, I do some other things:

I make "scrambled tofu" with veggies, to eat with toast or corn tortillas, I make wheat free pancakes, to eat with yogurt and fruit, or I reheat beans and eat with tortillas.

If I have a nice veggie soup, I will sometimes have a bowl for breakfast, either with toast, or alone.

I usually eat these heartier things a bit later... not ready for them at 6:45 a.m.!

Good luck! I know you will find something that works!

weight.png

weight.png

I think you should make something you'll look forward to eating. :bcb_smile:salut

If it's steel cut oats, you could make a big batch on the week-end and then freeze it in individual containers for the week. Doesn't take long at all to reheat.

If I'm driving, I love Baked Oatmeal. It doesn't crumble while you eat-and-drive.:bcb_smile And it's delicious and substantial. (DH wants some for his BIRTHDAY!:bcb_up)

I like all kinds of things for breakfast.

For awhile I would micro an egg in a plastic egg-shaped container that was done in 1-minute. That's protein and that's FAST! :bcb_smile

Today I'm having Malt O Meal. I'll make it in the bowl. Should just take minutes in the micro. :wave:

And you're right: breakfast sets the tone for the day. Gets your metabolic furnace burning. "Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper." :bcb_smile

But mainly: eat only what you truly enjoy, and truly enjoy whatever you eat.:bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Prior to WW I pretty much avoided breakfast or had Carnation Instant, so eating breakfast was a huge change for me. I generally have no appetite for at least a couple of hours after waking up and I have rarely liked typical breakfast foods (in high school, I would have things like Scotch Broth soup or BLT's - my mother would just shake her head...). But very early on in WW, I realized that if I didn't have breakfast, I was going to be prone to overeat later in the day because not eating breakfast was going to make me more hungry than I should be (and Carnation Instant wasn't going to really hold me). Since switching over to Core/SF, my breakfast of choice is oatmeal. I nuke it in a bowl: 1/2 C quick oats to 1 C water with a dash or so of salt. Oatmeal with any kind of sweets makes me sick, as does oatmeal made with milk. I usually also have a cup of coffee, a cup of milk, and some kind of fruit (grapefruit, apple, banana, berries [frozen and micro-thawed, if not in season]) - to give me a balance. If I'm in a hurry, or the oatmeal has filled me up, I'll carry a banana with me to eat later. I still don't RAVE over breakfast - it's still sort of a necessary evil to me - but since I know I need to have it, I eat it. I've found when traveling (I take my oatmeal fixings with me, and can usually buy fruit on the road) that sticking with this trusty breakfast can make or break the day for me as far as staying OP. Days when I didn't have a microwave handy (now I also carry instant oatmeal and a hot pot, just in case), restaurant or hotel breakfasts would usually tempt me into making bad choices, and meant that I had to eat more points-frugally later in the day (when I was more awake to regret it). The oatmeal/fruit/milk combo does give me what I need to get to lunchtime. But you have to find what will work for you.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu