Health Discovery Network
Laurdee

Help! / Advice!!

http://blackandbluesteakandcrab.com/buffalo/menu.htm

OK, team, this is where dh made reservations for our anniversary dinner tonight! We're going with 3 other couples, and I'm really looking forward to it. HOWEVER, what the heck am I gonna eat there? I've been reading, and looking over the menu. First glance is, there's NOTHING I can eat! I mean, I thought about a shrimp cocktail and salad? What kind of dinner is that? I have WW weigh in tomorrow, and I will go to the gym at some point tomorrow, but still. BTW, this place is amazing! But, what's a gal to do?:bcb_confu:bcb_huh::bcb_blush

I'm keeping my points LOW today (a 1 pt breakfast ~ 3 egg whites with a load of veggies, low lunch and snacks, and the gym), but I don't want to go there starving, either. Also, I don't want to act like the "martyr", and get there and say, Oh, I can't have anything here. I want to make my decision before I go, and stick to it.

Help!!

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com

Onion soup and take your time with it :bcb_bigsm

(too bad that is not on the menu)

There is nothing that you cannot have in the right portion. You know how to do that.

Get what you like and have the wait person bring one of those little white boxes so that you can enjoy the celebration over and over....

Congrats on the forward thinking and Happy Anniversary:bcb_up

CW

AS LONG AS I DON'T QUIT, I CANNOT FAIL

B4 & After: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202124

Laurie- I agree with CW. That being said....

The 8oz filet (if you get it grilled & without any sauces) is 10 points. If you ordered the house salad (minus croutons), you could get the dressing on the side and use a portion of it (count the salad conservatively as 2pts if it's just veggies and what dressing you use- could even be 1pt if they don't use a lot of oil in their dressing). All that for 11 points, which isn't going to take you past your Target if you're eating lightly. That being said, do you have any WPAs to use so you can eat enough during the day that the salad & steak will fill you up and not just release the floodgates?

Another possibility is the Alaskan King Crab legs. That's probably only around 5 points since the 1lb includes the shell and the meat will cook down when it's boiled. I like crab legs plain (don't need the butter). That's the lowest option on the menu right there. Well, actually the 1 1/4lb lobster (without butter) is likely the same (if not slightly lower).

What's your plan for dessert? The "safest" option is to just order some sorbet (probably 2 points since it will come in around a 1/2c serving). But, it's your anniversary so split something with DH and make sure that your meal is something you ENJOY. You don't want to look back and feel deprived as it will likely just lead to bingeing at some point in the near future on stuff you don't even want because you stopped yourself from having something you did want tonight. You have the points, make a plan and HAVE FUN!

Kimberley

Ohh, I've never been there, but it sounds wonderful. Actually the menu doesn't look like it presents a terrible problem to me. It's not like going somewhere where everything is covered in cheese!

Crab legs and lobster are low in points, skipping or going easy on the butter, of course. And a tenderloin steak is 4 PTS for 3 oz. or 5 SET POINTS. I see you get a choice of sauce for the steak. You can always ask for that on the side. A shrimp cocktail sounds like a good starter if everyone is ordering appetizers. And, like CW said, you can always eat a reasonable portion of the entree and sides and take home the rest.

I think the biggest issue would be the sodium intake possibly affecting a WI the next day. But, if you are prepared for that possibility you can go with the knowledge that the "gain" is temporary. Be sure to get in the water in the days following and it will disappear.

This is a special occasion, one dinner. Enjoy. And congratulations!

It's time to try defying gravity!

I think I'll try defying gravity!

I forgot about the SetPOINTs, which allows you to get the steak and just call it 5 points.

I'd caution against the shrimp cocktail. Remember when they ordered that on The Biggest Loser when they went to Vegas (or wherever they went to eat out) and it was something like 400+ calories. It was one of the worst appetizers to get!!

Kimberley

What a smart gal to make your plan first. :bcb_bravo

I think 4 oz. of one of the leaner steaks is a good bet. If you want seafood, the sea scallops are low in points, just be careful to portion out the risotto. The half-chicken is also a safe bet assuming you don't eat the skin. Like Kimberley said, make a plan for dessert. I like the idea of splitting something with your DH. I hope you have a great time!

Happy Anniversary!

400 calories for shrimp cocktail? Wow! wonder what was in it. Maybe the shrimp was sauteed, fried? Hmmm.

I would think, in a nice restaurant like that, they would make your meal any way you like it. Any of the seafood can be grilled -- the salmon, tuna, shrimp, and just tell them you don't want any sauce or butter on it. Just add lemon at the table if you want. And with the salad, just tell them what you want in it, and that you want the dressing on the side.

And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

It is my understanding of Set Points that they are to be used only when the points value of the food is unknown. So I really don't think you can order an 8oz. filet that you know is 10 pts and eat it all, but then only count it as 5 points.

Disclaimer: I do not actually have the Momentum materials, but I thought I had a fairly good understanding of the concept.

It is my understanding of Set Points that they are to be used only when the points value of the food is unknown. So I really don't think you can order an 8oz. filet that you know is 10 pts and eat it all, but then only count it as 5 points.

Disclaimer: I do not actually have the Momentum materials, but I thought I had a fairly good understanding of the concept.

That's what I thought about Set Points also, but my leader has said, why would you charge yourself 8 points instead of 5? It's as she said at today's meeting about Memorial Day. She said we were not in that room because of overeating on Memorial Day. While not condoning eating with abandon, she pointed out this is not a diet. We have to live and enjoy or we won't want to do it for life. It is when we turn most, or all days into a Memorial Day, or an anniversary, that we get into trouble.

Likewise, using set points to count steak/filet makes it easier to journal. I always wonder if that 8 oz. on the menu is before or after cooking. She said that if we were to eat set point foods on a regular basis, the extra few points would be more critical. But especially when eating out, she takes the option of set points and doesn't worry about it. Of course, Set Points don't have to be used.

I'll have to look for my Momentum materials for clarification.

Well, this is interesting:

There's a baked potato, plain, one, that is 4 points. But the SET POINTS are 6!:bcb_huh:

Why would you take set-points if the actual points are lower? (Listed in the Dining Out Companion) :bcb_confu

Happy Anniversary, Laurdee! :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I'd get the 8 oz. Filet Mignon (or one of the 10-12s and cut it in half), side salad with light dressing, and mashed potatoes. Do you have any WPA or AP available to use? This would be a good time for it. More importantly, relax, enjoy yourself, and don't fuss over the points.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

The concept behind SetPOINTS is to eat to satisfaction, not to try to use it so you're tracking more, or less, points than you're consuming.

Since my personal "satisfaction meter" is wacked (the reason I can't successfully follow Core or Simply Filling) I'm better off personally figuring the amount of what I'm eating and counting the real points value. But, some folks find SetPOINTS very freeing.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

I just read WW material that explains in using Set Points eat the food with a set point value in a portion size that seems reasonable, and then not worry about exactly how big it is. It further explains to eat the food until you are satisfied, (more or less like Core, I guess) and stresses to eat what feels like a normal portion to you. I think it's just another tool to take away the stress of trying figure points when you can't measure exactly.

Using Set Points is a better option than someone saying to heck with points.

I know you're all right, and thanks for the anniversary wishes! I was think the shrimp cocktail and lobster tail. I haven't had lobster in years. And, I don't need the butter, I love lobster by itself. For some reason, on Monday, dh stopped and bought steaks, and I didn't really want to eat another one. But, I'll go back and re-read the menu.

You're right again about not stressing out and just eating and enjoying. That's probably the advice I'd give if asked! I just freak out a bit before going out!:bcb_huh:

I've used up all my WPA's for the week, and am working on the AP's. I just got home from the gym, and earned some more, so I'm ok with points. My worry was weigh in tomorrow. I've done so well all week, the scale (yes I peeked) is down, and I want it to stay that way.

Thanks again for ALL the advice! Reservations are at 6:00, so I'll see you later!

Oh, as for dessert, we always split! I really just want a forkfull...or 2:bcb_wink3

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thought become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

Author unknown

http://laurdee.blogspot.com