Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

No Excuses!

On Flylady, she has included a fitness trainer for her Flybabies. His name is Jonathan.

He has great information (on his website) on high intensity work-outs, and print-outs for "no excuses" work-outs (that don't involve equipment; you can do them anywhere, anytime).

He sends out daily reminders, and today he said something that was right on!

"Stop Making Excuses!

Are you making excuses for why you can't fit your workouts in and/or eat right? If so, I want you to take a few minutes right now to think about the excuses you have used to talk yourself out of maximizing your fitness and weight loss results.

If you have used the "I don't have time to exercise" excuse, than I want you to look at how much time you spend online and/or watching TV each day and then be honest with yourself that it is not that you don't have time to exercise. It is that you have not been willing to trade in some of your screen time for exercise time (or combine the two). Sorry again for the tough love, but this is true for 99% of people.

I want you to stop making excuses and re-commit to your workouts and eating healthy – starting right now! No Excuses! "

Gee. That's really true. If you can make time to be here, you can make time to exercise. If you can make time to watch TV, you can make time to exercise.

Or like he said, "Combine the two." Exercise while watching TV or being on the computer. :bcb_smile:salut

It is that you have not been willing to trade in some of your screen time for exercise time...

I like the way he's so straight-forward. :salut Very boot camp. :strong:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I love it! I may subscribe to Flylady again just for those kick-in-the-rear messages.

I've been radically reducing my TV time and have noticed a change in my energy level. Last night I zoned out and kept flipping between Dancing with the Stars, L&O:SVU and Without a Trace. I really didn't care about the shows, yet I just kept sitting there flipping between the three shows. Today I feel it. I still feel kind of zoned out. bcb_sad

And because I was feeling groggy this morning, I never got around to exercising before my phone appts. for the day began. :bcb_blush

Good post, Carol. Thank you for sharing it.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

You might like the next two sentences, then, Julie...

"Please schedule your 3 Interval Workouts and 2 No Excuses Workouts for each week in your calendar (specific days and times) for the next 4 weeks (including this week). I also want you to print out or look over my 15 Secrets to Better Health to make sure you are truly maximizing your results".

I did that (and then got sick:bcb_sick: ), but there is definitely something concrete about having it SCHEDULED and WRITTEN DOWN. :salut:bcb_smile

And I'm loving his reminders. It keeps exercise in my mind. :salut:bcb_smile

Carol,

I found the workouts that can be printed out, but I can't seem to find the 15 Secrets....help please!

~*Melodee*~

th_flowers.gif

If you want to get his daily reminders, you join at:

https://www.bigtent.com/groups/newo

However, I have to say I'm enjoying his articles and testimonials that are with the Flylady daily digest of e-mails, too.:salut

This month is "Moving In May" for Flylady. :exercise: :strong: :salut

(Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, Melodee! :wave:)

Today's:

"Do It Now!

Your excitement for something you commit to doing decreases as time passes. This is called the Law of Diminishing Intent. I know that this is not shocking, but think about it for a minute.

People do this all the time:

- I am going to start working out next week

- I am going to quit smoking on Monday

- I am going to start taking the stairs instead of the elevator tomorrow

- I am going to start eating better this weekend

- I am going to start parking in the furthest spot at the store or office next Monday

But the sad thing is, most of the time none of these things happen. We keep putting them off until we finally realize that we blew it and then we beat ourselves up over it.

What are you planning on doing in the next couple of days, weeks or months? I suggest you Do It Now so that you maximize your chances of making it happen. There is no time like the present to do something good for yourself and your health!" :bcb_smile:salut

This is so weird.:bcb_bigsm I've been thinking the EXACT SAME THING, after being in so much pain for a few days...

Today's:

"Using Your Gift!

Are you using your gift of good health? I write about similar topics often because I view my own ability to walk or run as a true gift.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

This quote was intended to speak about maximizing your athletic performance, but it really applies to life.

Are you using your gift? Embrace how luck you are to walk, run, smile - we are truly blessed and being grateful for your gifts will have a significant impact on your attitude and life!"

:bcb_bigsm:salut

"Being scared to lose weight is normal!

Are you scared of losing weight? Does the thought of being high energy and at a healthy weight scare you? If so, that is normal.

All major undertakings are scary. If you look back at the biggest things you have accomplished in your life, you will probably see that they were all very scary. Don't let being scared keep you from

accomplishing all your fitness and/or weight loss goals!

And don’t let feel of failure scare you from becoming the high-energy and healthy version of yourself that lies within. This approach is different – no quick fixes – just a highly-effective and simple (not easy) approach to developing healthy habits that will last you the rest of your life (and lead you to the right weight by losing ½ to 2 pounds per week).

So the approach is definitely different and the outcome this time is going to be different: Sustained weight loss with healthy habits! WHAT YOU, ME AND EVERYONE DESERVES!

So embrace the challenge, take it one day at a time and lets make it an amazing summer!

Today's Fitness Mission: Family Fun Workout!

Saturdays are our Family Fitness Day, so plan something fun with your kids, spouse or a friend.

And remember, any movement is great for your health. So just do something and Be Proud!

Any movement counts so be creative:

• go for a walk with your spouse, kids or the whole family

• play tag with your kids

• clean out your garage or basement with your family

• vacuum, feather dust or sweep the floor at a quick pace

• throw or kick a ball around the yard or your basement with the kids

• challenge your kids to a push-up and sit-up contest

• meet a friend at the mall and walk for 5 minutes between stores

By turning family time into fitness time, you are improving your family's health and everyone's energy levels. So get moving and have fun!" Jonathan

I'm going to start calling myself "high energy" as an affirmation! :bcb_up

I agree, Melodee. It's always nice to hear a new "voice"...

"Are you holding yourself accountable?

Please keep in mind that the tough love I give you is only because I care about you and want to help you. And this subject is extremely important.

Are you holding yourself accountable when it comes to your workouts and your eating habits? Be honest with yourself – Are you?

If you are going to continue to let yourself make excuses why it is OK to skip workouts, eat seconds, have the second glass of wine, etc., than reaching your fitness and weight loss goals is either

going to take a very long time or is never going to happen. Sorry again for the tough love, but this is true.

You need to hold yourself accountable for the workout goals you have set. If you have stated (and hopefully written down) that you are going to do 3 interval workouts and 2 No Excuses workouts per week, than you should be holding yourself accountable and making the workouts happen.

No Excuses!

Please take a few minutes to really think about this as it is extremely important. No one else is going to make you accountable for staying consistent, so you need to take control and be firm with yourself about your own accountability. Yes, staying consistent with your workouts and eating well is tough, but you deserve to have tons of energy, to feel good about yourself and to be healthy.

So starting holding yourself accountable today and you will be pleasantly surprised with your results.

Remember, you don't need to be a Rock Star within 1 or 2 weeks of starting your exercise habit, you just need to take small steps, make healthy choices and take it one day at a time. Have Fun! " Jonathan

Today's:

"Jonathan here: Strength training helps strengthen your core, improve your posture, avoid back injuries, fight osteoporosis and make you feel better about yourself!

Invest at least 6 minutes in your health today and nail your No Excuses Workouts. We can all find at least 6 minutes - No Excuses!

Focus On Your Health Instead of Your Weight!

I want you to start focusing on increasing your energy and improving your health and forget about weight loss. Yes, I am serious.

When you focus on being healthy - fitting in your workouts, drinking your water, not skipping meals, only having dessert once a week, etc. - the weight loss takes care of itself.

I am not telling you to stop weighing yourself once a week (which is my normal recommendation), but I am telling you that focusing on your weight alone will drive you crazy.

If you focus on increasing your energy and improving your health and follow my lead, I am confident you will lose a healthy, realistic and sustainable ½ to 2 pounds per week.

Instead of focusing only on weight loss, look at the choices you make each day (taking the stairs at work, your portion sizes, parking in the furthest spot at the grocery store, etc.) as opportunities to INCREASE YOUR ENERGY AND IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH! You will be amazed at how much switching your focus improves your results and how much more fun getting in shape WILL BE!"

:salut:bcb_bigsm

Fueling your body for Successful Workouts!

It is very important that you have had something to eat (either a major meal or a healthy snack) within 2 hours prior to exercising. This will help you maintain your energy throughout your workout and help you avoid that burnout feeling that can come at the end of workouts. You know the kind of feeling: when you feel like all of a sudden you are out of gas - there is nothing left in the tank.

If you exercise early in the morning, it is important to take in some nutrients (unless you literally start exercising right away) prior to working out. Nothing heavy – just something quick like a piece of fruit, half a bowl of cereal, a granola bar, etc.

It is also important to be well-hydrated prior to exercising. So if you can, try to drink water throughout the 1 or 2 hours (you really should be drinking plenty of water all day) prior to your workout in order to make sure you are hydrated before you start. Ideally you will go to the bathroom within the 30 minutes prior to starting your exercise. That is a good sign that you are hydrated - especially if it is not bright yellow. Sorry to be having a bathroom discussion, but this is important and worth sounding strange in order to help you.

It is also important to have a water bottle with you all the time while you are exercising and get in the habit of taking a sip every 5 or 10 minutes. If you are sweating while exercising (which hopefully

you are doing), then you are losing a lot of water and need to replenish it.

Lastly, it is very important that you eat something (not necessarily a full meal, but at least a healthy snack) within 30 minutes of finishing your workout. That is because your muscles are looking for

some nutrients to help them start to re-build (and get stronger). And the 30 minute window is the ideal window to give your muscles some fuel to start that VERY IMPORTANT PROCESS.

--From Jonathan, at Flylady

Great ideas! Check him out on Flylady.net

Jonathan here: Set yourself up for success in order to maximize your fitness and weight loss results:

Schedule your workouts – actual days and times

• Get your drinks and food ready

• Get your workout clothes and/or workout bag ready

Schedule your workouts:

Pick specific days and times for your workouts and write them in your calendar. If you are following my daily fitness missions then you would schedule 30 minute (or 10 minutes if you are just getting started) Interval Workouts on M, W and F and 6 to 24 minutes (depending upon where you are in your journey) No Excuses Workouts on T and Th.

Get your drinks and food ready:

Every night, I fill up two water bottles (20 ounces each - for my next days' workout) and two 32 ounce bottles of water. I put them all in a shopping bag along with healthy snacks (examples: banana, granola bar, Clif Bar, pretzels, nuts, etc.) for my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks.

I also make my lunch and put that in the fridge. Making your lunch ensures that you eat something healthy, have a normal portion size (most restaurant portions are 1.5 to 2 times what you need) and it also helps you save money.

Get your workout clothes and/or workout bag ready:

I make sure to put my workout clothes and sneakers in my workout bag every night. So in the morning, both bags are next to the door and I just need to put my lunch in and put the bags in my car and I am ready to go.

These routines are especially important if you are a Mom because once your kids are up in the morning and things start getting crazy, getting ready for your workout can seem like a major hassle and can lead to you blowing it off.

I would rather sit and relax at night then make my workout drinks and lunch and put together my workout gear. But it is now part of my routine and it sets me up for success for the next day.

Please start building these routines into your evening routine and you will be pleasantly surprised how much this helps you stay consistent. " :salut

Jonathan today, on Flylady.net :

"Excuses vs. Results

The more excuses you make (I don’t have time to exercise, there is nothing healthy to eat, etc.), the more your results decrease.

The more results you achieve (increasing your energy, improving your health, losing 1 to 2 pounds per week, etc.), the more your excuses decrease.

What is the relationship between Your Excuses and Your Results? Honestly, think about this for a minute. They are inversely related - one goes up and the other goes down!

No Excuses! :salut:bcb_grin

From Jonathan on Flylady.net:

"Taking Action with No Future Regrets

We have all had those times where we decided to make a positive change in our lives. But then life got in the way and we came up with excuses to not take action and then the goal faded and we were left with yet another failed attempt at positive change.

Lets make this attempt at getting fit and losing weight different. Every time you attempt to make an excuse to blow off a workout or eat something bad, I want you to think and even say to yourself: 'I am better than that!'

The program works when you work the program and I know you can follow my lead to do amazing things with your weight loss, fitness, energy and health. So follow my lead and lets make it happen. TODAY! No Excuses!

A year from now you will wish you had started today.” – Karen Lamb

Don’t let this powerful quote come true. You are better than that! " :salut:bcb_bigsm

Disclaimer: not for the faint of heart. This isn't "tough love"...this is the "toughest love"...:salut From Jonathan at Flylady.net :salut

"Jonathan here: If you are not reading most of my daily messages, then please click on unsubscribe at the bottom of this post.

This is one of my tough love posts, but to be candid, I want you to either fully get on the bus or move on.

If you are not up for reading 2 or 3 e-mails a day that take about a minute or two each to read (and all play an important role in getting you motivated and empowered), then you are either not into my approach (which is totally fine) or you are not yet ready to positively change.

To accomplish the amazing things that so many of you are achieving, you have to be in the game and follow my lead. I am not saying you need to be perfect, but I am saying I want you to ask yourself one important question:

Are you in or not?

If you are in, then please read all my daily posts and lets kick some butt and make this a special summer and get you in the best shape of your life!

If you are not in, please unsubscribe and come back when you are ready to truly commit.

I care about all of you and want to help you, but I am not interested in serving as a crutch and wasting your or my time.

Take care.

Jonathan

aka "Your Biggest Fan"

Wow...have you ever heard somebody say "Come back when you're ready?"

I haven't.

Saying that, he's certainly not in it for the money only!! I went to his site and I'm going back to sign up for the emails...I must have missed that. :bcb_up

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Here's today's:

"Baby Steps vs. Climbing Mt. Everest!

Today I want you to take a few minutes to think about taking a Baby Steps approach to your fitness and wellness journey.

We live in an instant-gratification society - we want to lose 5 or 10 pounds per week. Losing .5 or 2 pounds per week (which is safe and AMAZING) seems like it will take forever to lose the 25, 50, 100 or 150 pounds that you want to lose.

But remember, you did not put on 5 or 10 pounds per week. More than likely you have been gaining weight gradually over a long time period. OK, enough looking in the rear-view mirror.

Let's focus on today and tomorrow and the tremendous opportunity you have to increase your energy, lose weight and improve your health!

If you have not been exercising at all, then I want you to Make Today your January 1st! At any given time, you are only one decision away from starting to improve your health! So take your first step today by committing to moving and improving your health - one Baby Step at a time.

By taking Baby Steps, you will not hurt yourself or get discouraged because you feel beat up. Your wellness journey needs to involve some sweat, but it should not involve you beating up on your precious body! Yes, your body is precious and is a gift! Even if you think negatively about your body because you are 150 pounds overweight, you should think of your body as a gift (it is) and start treating it with delicate gloves starting today.

Baby steps like drinking enough water, not skipping meals, staying positive, etc. will start adding up to positively effect your health.

I want you to concentrate on taking positive Baby Steps each day versus concentrating on having to lose X amount of weight. If you concentrate on having to lose 100 pounds (or whatever you want to lose), it is like standing at the bottom of Mt. Everest and psyching yourself out by the magnitude of having to climb to the top.

The truth is, taking Baby Steps and taking one day at a time will get you to the top of any mountain. But the key is to not get overwhelmed and to Concentrate on Today!

You deserve to feel great, have tons of energy and to be healthy. So concentrate on baby steps and taking it one day at a time!"

Jonathan (at Flylady.net):salut

Your Energy Level

How much energy do you have? Are you generally upbeat and feel like you could go all day or are you dragging through your afternoon drinking one soda after the next? Now compare how many workouts you are doing per week with how much energy you have.

The amount of exercise you do has a huge impact on your energy levels! Yes, when you first start an exercise program you might feel exhausted for a week or two. But once you get through that initial phase, you draw tremendous postive energy from your workouts and from staying fit!

If you say to yourself that you "don't have the energy to workout today", please consider changing that thinking to "I need to workout today in order to boost my energy".

On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 = you are dragging and 5 = you are on fire and are jumping out of your skin), what is your energy level?

Starting today, focus on improving your energy by working out, watching what you eat and by making healthy choices!

The time you invest in these efforts will pay off in many ways (especially with huge increases in energy) and is worth every minute of sweat! " ---Jonathan, from Flylady.net

You're welcome, Becky...:salut:bcb_bigsm

He says things in ways that give me a sentence to think about...and help motivate me for the day...:bcb_smile

Which is nice ~ :wave:

WWCarol: Definitely read Zoe's story today; you'll remember it forever. :salut

"A Powerful and Inspiring Story

"The pain lasts for a couple of days, the pride lasts forever."

- Zoe Koplowitz

Zoe Koplowitz completed her 20th straight NY City Marathon in November. Her story is so inspiring and she can motivate us all to "Never Give Up", avoid excuses and to be fortunate for all we have.

Zoe has MS and Diabetes and finished the marathon in around 30 hours. I saw her at the Boston Marathon a few years ago and I actually used to hand out a powerful article about her finishing the Boston Marathon to all my personal training clients. She is a beautiful person and can teach us all a lot about how to live life to the fullest.

Click here to read about one of Zoe's NY Marathons:

http://theword.hunter.cuny.edu/archive/vol52/people/pnov_2.html

Today as you try to get motivated to do your Interval Workout or anything positive for your health, think of Zoe and her amazing story. She is a true inspiration. I suggest you save the link to this article in your Favorites for the days you have trouble getting the juices flowing.

Zoe is a gift to us all and she can help all of us on the days we just can't seem to get motivated to move." Jonathan at flylady.net

Guest LostTeacher

wow.....how those statements really hit home for me.

a lot of organizing and thinking and action needs to be done.

thank you for sharing, and pointing me to this thread to read.

LT

Today's:

"Gratitude & A Powerful Gratitude Video

I write about being grateful alot because it is a pivotal tool in helping you maximize your fitness &/or weight loss results. When you are grateful, you are generally happy and have a positive attitude. And when it comes to results, Your Attitude is Everything!

I invite you to experience this Powerful 5 minute video titled "A Good Day". It was sent to me by one of the Flybabies and it is definitely worth watching. Please copy the following URL directly

into your web browser:

http://www.gratefulness.org/brotherdavid/a-good-day.htm

Are you grateful for what you have? Do you realize how lucky you are to even be able to walk to the mailbox? Most of us get caught up in our hectic lives and don't realize how lucky we are to have what we have.

You and I are extremely lucky to be healthy enough to even walk and if you think about this today and every day, you will be amazed at how this positively effects your workout consistency and results!" Jonathan at Flylady.net

Carol here: And if you can't walk, maybe you can see colors. Everybody has something to be grateful for today! :bcb_smile :wave: