Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

"Sue's Mexican Coleslaw recipe from the WW board

I saw this at the WW board and thought it sounded interesting:

#Sue#'s Mexican Coleslaw

shred the following and toss together:

1/2 head cabbage

1/2 jicama, peeled (OK to substitute a peeled tart apple)

a couple of carrots

if desired, other shreddable crunchy veggies like bell pepper and radish, etc.

chop the following and add these to the shredded mixture:

1 jalapeno, peeled and seeded

1-2 large tomatoes (or a couple of handfuls of cherry/grape tomatoes)

1 bunch cilantro

Then make the dressing:

1 tsp cumin

1-2 tsp sugar, or to taste

juice of 1 lime

juice of 1 orange

Shake up the dressing on its own (I put it in a little jar with a lid) and then pour over the veggies.

Good stuff. :)

I especially like to take it to a pot luck, because it can sit out without being refrigerated (no mayo).

-----------------------------------------

My notes:

- You can use a whole head of cabbage, but it needs to be SMALL. This recipe makes a whole lot more than you think!

- I like more heat, so I use two to three jalapenos.

- Cilantro is optional if you don't like it, but does add a nice flavor (I've made it with and without and it is still good).

- I use a packet of Truvia or Splenda in place of the sugar. I've never actually used real sugar in this recipe.

- As previously recommended, blend/puree the whole orange to keep the recipe a "pure" SFT recipe. It will not affect the texture or taste to do it this way.

- This recipe is better on subsequent days because the flavors have time to meld. Just be sure to stir well before serving!

- This recipe makes 10+ servings, depending on the amount of cabbage and other crunchy add-ins you use.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

This sure does sound good. I'm going to make it next time I make the mexican polenta casserole as a nice light side.