Health Discovery Network
otterit

Cycling and Refueling the Body

I have lost 22lbs since January 1st on WW and riding. Unfortunately, I have hit a plateau on my weight loss during the last 3 weeks.

My riding stamina has increased dramatically since the weather has improved, but now I find myself eating a LOT of calories during the evening after a long ride. For example, today I craved PIZZA after a 30+ mile country road ride.

Anyone have any suggestions on non-fattening foods that will satisfy my hunger, but not crush me in the points column? I know carbs are good for athletes. I just tend to eat too much after exercise.

Regards!

:welcome:

wwlynn on the Simply Filling board started an interesting point on this issue. It's really important to get the food stuff in line or we can very easily wind up eating more calories recovering from exercise than we actually burned during the exercise session itself!

It is important to get in some carbs following exercise to replenish glycogen stores and allow the body to burn fat to repair muscle. But not all carbs are created equal. It's important to get in complex carbs so things like whole grains (pasta, brown rice, other grains) and even fruit. Getting in some lean protein with that will help with muscle repair as well. A chicken & vegetable stir fry with brown rice, extra-lean beef shepherd's pie, homemade granola with skim milk & fruit are all good options!

Kimberley

:welcome:

wwlynn on the Simply Filling board started an interesting point on this issue. It's really important to get the food stuff in line or we can very easily wind up eating more calories recovering from exercise than we actually burned during the exercise session itself!

It is important to get in some carbs following exercise to replenish glycogen stores and allow the body to burn fat to repair muscle. But not all carbs are created equal. It's important to get in complex carbs so things like whole grains (pasta, brown rice, other grains) and even fruit. Getting in some lean protein with that will help with muscle repair as well. A chicken & vegetable stir fry with brown rice, extra-lean beef shepherd's pie, homemade granola with skim milk & fruit are all good options!

Thanks!!! I can relate to the "replenish" statement. I appears my body wants to replenish EVERYTHING it lost during the ride. I hear my legs saying, "Feed Me. Feed Me!!"

Do you have a link to the wwlynn discussion?

cycling does that to me as well (and when I work back in the weight room).

Drink lots of water.

Whole grain carbs and lean protein.

Then do your best! The leg muscles are HUGE and require refueling.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

cycling does that to me as well (and when I work back in the weight room).

Drink lots of water.

Whole grain carbs and lean protein.

Then do your best! The leg muscles are HUGE and require refueling.

First, CONGRATS on the weight loss you've had so far. AWESOME.

As for the leg muscle comment -- you're RIGHT! I'm thinking about making sure I have some rice and/or pasta after long rides to satisfy the hunger and *hopefully* prevent me from eating too much. (Although pizza tastes much better!!)

Thanks for the tips!

Here's the link. It started out being about using non-Core food to refuel after exercise but did morph from there.

THanK YoU VeRY MucH!!!!!!