Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

New Discovery: Chana Dal

I found these little wrinkled beans that look like small dark wrinkled garbanzo beans...SO I BOUGHT THEM! They're called Chana Dal.

Pulled out my pressure cooker and didn't know how to cook them so I googled them. Got some strange information ("Bring to one pressure"...:bcb_confu) so I kept on looking...:bcb_up

Found this link: http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html and got SO EXCITED.

Apparently it's wonderful for people with diabetes! Barely registers on the glycemic scale. :bcb_grin

And there are lots of great recipes at the bottom of the page.:salut

So I carmelized some onions, added garam marsala, and added them to the cooked chana dal. I'm having them on top of a BIG mixed greens/vegetable salad.

Very, very good! :bcb_happy

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks Carol! We make dal with mung dal beans and I make lots of things with chickpeas. But I'll head over to the Indian store and pick up some chana dal and check it out.

Kimberley

I thought they would turn to "mush", Kim, but they retained their shape (like garbanzos...).

In one recipe I read to puree half and leave half bean-shaped. So they're really like baby brown garbanzos! :bcb_grin

Different flavor and texture, though.

I really liked them ~ :salut:bcb_smile

Let me know what you think ~ :wave:

I rushed off to buy some at the Indian market. I'm inclined to make the hummus recipe as well as the chana crackers!! I'll soak the beans overnight (to get the enzymes flowing) and make something tomorrow. I already have black beans soaking for a bean cake and chickpeas soaking for some baked falafel!! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Last bite I bit into a bean-looking piece of gravel-dirt...! :bcb_yuck:

PITOOIE! :bcb_down

I had washed and picked over the chana dal, but they are multi-colored: reddish brown to dark brown and gray and black...

I'll be more careful next time.

Soaking them would've probably turned this "bean" to mud at the bottom of the bowl...:bcb_up