Health Discovery Network
DES2

Protein serving size?

We check the boxes for lean protein - but how many grams of protein constitutes enough to check the box?

Sorry if this has been asked before and I'm not finding it. The search function here is nonexistent! :bcb_mad2

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

I haven't seen any official that I can find this morning but a serving size of protein is usually about 3 ounces or the size of a deck of cards.

If I use beans to meet that guideline, I count a 1/2 cup as a serving because that is what the can says.

Lisa

SW 311.2, CW 168.4 Total lost 142.8 5'1"

I think that generally a serving of protein is 3oz (cooked) or 4oz (before cooking), about the size of a pack of cards-- that is 85 grams cooked, from 113 grams raw.

weight.png

Try to get in about 60-80 grams of protein per day total.

Take chicken as an example. 3-4 oz is the deck of cards serving with about 20 gr of protein. This is one of the better lean proteins with more proteins per calorie.

Other good choices: One whole egg along with egg whites for volume

Pure Protein bar (4 points - found at Walmart for about $1) with 20 grams of whey protein.

Jane

SW 224 1/2/07

WWG 164 Lifetime 1/26/10

PGW 150

Try to get in about 60-80 grams of protein per day total.

Take chicken as an example. 3-4 oz is the deck of cards serving with about 20 gr of protein. This is one of the better lean proteins with more proteins per calorie.

Other good choices: One whole egg along with egg whites for volume

Pure Protein bar (4 points - found at Walmart for about $1) with 20 grams of whey protein.

On the egg paired with egg whites - what ratio do you use?

I was at the store today contemplating homemade egg beaters {Which I'm told are just an egg with extra whites} made from regular eggs and bottled egg whites, but had no idea the ratio to use.

DD

Starting again in 2010!

HW:293.6

CW:286.6

10% GW: 264.3

weight.png

Eggbeaters are nothing but egg whites with chemicals and food color dyes. 4 egg whites = 2 eggs. I like a bit of yolk so I do 1 egg and 1 egg white and it's still only 2 points.

Susan<br /><br />356/155/166

Success comes in cans; failure comes in can'ts.