Health Discovery Network
pam46

Cauliflower Mashed potatoes

This is a great substitute for mashed potatoes and very simple to prepare. just cook the cauliflower until very tender. Drain, and then mash them with one of those hand held mash things,or whip them up with an electric mixer. Add a little milk, and ff spray margerine, salt and pepper, and if you like the taste of chicken boullion, you can add a sprinkle of that. To me it taste just like mashed potatoes, and it's virtually 0 points.

Pam46 ;) ;) ;) ;)

These are great. I had them when I had dinner with my mom. She is on Atkin's and can't have the real mashed potatoes so she makes these. I was skeptical but they are delicious. Enjoy.

I made these tonight using Butter Buds. My husband was curious as to why I made mashed potatoes (never do) and thought they were very good, but different smile.gif. I had to confess that they weren't potatoes at all! We both thought they were great.

SB

147 current/125 goal

I am bumping this up. If you love mashed potatoes and gravy, you will love this. I made it last nighy and put some packaged chicken gravy on it. It is very good. Would also make a great snack.

Tam

TBONE<br />*** *** *** ***<br />Do what you say, say what you mean.<br /> The Fix<br />Ya Ya Name<br />Viscountess Quick Rabbit <br /> <br />GW Size 8 Petite, Loosely! <br /><br />My Personal Goal: Lose inches, exercise 3-4 days a week and be HAPPY with who I am!

This sounds really interesting and worth a try. Since I'm going to be trying to low-carb it now, this will be a great substitute, cuz I loves my taters! :D

JeanetteSki

Well I have to tell you - I tried this tonight. DH insisted that I get back on here and THANK whomever had THIS great idea! thumbup.gif :D

I, of course, had to TWEAK a bit - started with a large head of 'flower, cut it into florets, and cooked it with water in which I had added one small clove of garlic, slivered, and 1/2 teaspoon chicken stock flavored paste. When it was suitably tender (and next time I'll cook it a little more) I strained the liquid off into a measuring cup, and to the 'flower, I added 1 tablespoon of light whipped butter, a little garlic salt, a little onion powder, and 2 teaspoons of powdered buttermilk. I hit it with the handheld mixer, adding a bit of the reserved cooking liquid as needed. Tasted. Added some freshly ground pepper. Tasted again. Hmmmm, what's missing here? AH! A tablespoon of RF shredded Parmesan! Yep, that did it!

DH must have exclaimed how good it was 10 times during dinner!

Next time I will try it without the Parmesan and add some gravy to the top of it. Tonight, since we were having shrimp Scampi, I didn't want to muck up the flavors with gravy, but the Parmesan was just right!

So thanks for posting this and I can see I'll be serving it fairly often around here! ;)

\

Char

I used to eat something like this when I was on Atkins. We called them faux-tatoes. I always made them with just cauliflower and cream cheese. I bet it would taste good with a wedge of light laughing cow garlic and herb flavored cheese thrown in it.

I have two bags of frozen cauliflower in the fridg. I'm going to try this for dinner tonight.

Thank you!

Hugs,

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I just have to say I made these for DH last night, and he flipped out over them! thumbup.gif When we went shopping last night, I bought more cauliflower, as he wants this again tonight!

Thank you! kiss.gif bcbsalute.gif

Dawna

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone". - Bill Cosby

I just have to say I made these for DH last night, and he flipped out over them! thumbup.gif When we went shopping last night, I bought more cauliflower, as he wants this again tonight!

Thank you! kiss.gif bcbsalute.gif

Dawna

I was skeptical but after reading all of these raves I am going to get some cauliflower this weekend and try it out!

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I was skeptical but after reading all of these raves I am going to get some cauliflower this weekend and try it out!

273.8/266.8/164

restart 1 November 14

I had to try this...I steamed mine in my electric steamer. Then I processed it with Toby's Sour Creme, a savory soy food with tahini and garlic in it.

Whipped, it looked just like mashed potatoes! I then put a cube of Velveeta Light on top and heated them up...

When I had TOLD DH about this he had wrinkled his nose!! :eek: Which for HIM is MAJOR negativity regarding food!! LOL~

Well, guess what? He LOVED it! :D

Who'da'thunk?! ;) wave.gif Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I had to try this...I steamed mine in my electric steamer. Then I processed it with Toby's Sour Creme, a savory soy food with tahini and garlic in it.

Whipped, it looked just like mashed potatoes! I then put a cube of Velveeta Light on top and heated them up...

When I had TOLD DH about this he had wrinkled his nose!! :eek: Which for HIM is MAJOR negativity regarding food!! LOL~

Well, guess what? He LOVED it! :D

Who'da'thunk?! ;) wave.gif Carol

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I finally tried these last night, and I have to admit they were good, but mashed potatoes doesn't fit my description. Apparently, I must not have cooked it long enough because I had mashed cauliflower pieces. They wouldn't mash like regular potatoes and I used the masher and the mixer both. It was very good, but not my idea of mashed potatoes. I'll try this again and try cooking it longer to achieve a softer, more of a whipped texture and maybe that will be better.

JeanetteSki

I finally tried these last night, and I have to admit they were good, but mashed potatoes doesn't fit my description. Apparently, I must not have cooked it long enough because I had mashed cauliflower pieces. They wouldn't mash like regular potatoes and I used the masher and the mixer both. It was very good, but not my idea of mashed potatoes. I'll try this again and try cooking it longer to achieve a softer, more of a whipped texture and maybe that will be better.

JeanetteSki

I cook them in a lot of water for about 15 minutes or until they are REALLY soft. Then I mash them with 1/4 cup of FF half and half and salt and pepper. DH always asks for more potatoes. LOL :D

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

I cook them in a lot of water for about 15 minutes or until they are REALLY soft. Then I mash them with 1/4 cup of FF half and half and salt and pepper. DH always asks for more potatoes. LOL :D

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest raidermom

I really liked these! I'm not a mashed potato fan, but these I love!

You're thinkin'...."she's not a potato fan, then what kind of a judge is she?" :confused:

Well, my DH would be considered a mashed potato connoisseur...there he was, the poor thing, peering into an empty bowl looking for third helpings. :( I had to promise to make double the next time I make them!

And then there's Sarah, who LOVES mashed potatoes.....she had her third helping before daddy... :D

So a big thumbup.gif in this house!

( I used FF half & half, salt,pepper, and ICBINB spray on top....served with the Balsamic Chicken & Mushrooms recipe from the poultry boards and Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad from the side dishes board)

Love,

Cheryl

PS: Mine were lumpy using the potato masher, so then I used the immersion blender to smooth them out and it worked perfectly. ;)

Guest raidermom

I really liked these! I'm not a mashed potato fan, but these I love!

You're thinkin'...."she's not a potato fan, then what kind of a judge is she?" :confused:

Well, my DH would be considered a mashed potato connoisseur...there he was, the poor thing, peering into an empty bowl looking for third helpings. :( I had to promise to make double the next time I make them!

And then there's Sarah, who LOVES mashed potatoes.....she had her third helping before daddy... :D

So a big thumbup.gif in this house!

( I used FF half & half, salt,pepper, and ICBINB spray on top....served with the Balsamic Chicken & Mushrooms recipe from the poultry boards and Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad from the side dishes board)

Love,

Cheryl

PS: Mine were lumpy using the potato masher, so then I used the immersion blender to smooth them out and it worked perfectly. ;)

Cheryl: I never thought of using my immersion blender. I bet that would have done the trick!! Next time. ;)

JeanetteSki

Cheryl: I never thought of using my immersion blender. I bet that would have done the trick!! Next time. ;)

JeanetteSki