Health Discovery Network
Woodland

Anyone Like Using Wii for Fitness?

Hi Buddies,

I was wondering if anyone likes using Wii as part of their exercise program. Please share your thoughts both positive and negative as to the benefits of this system.

Currently I have a gym membership and it works out great. However, I'm wondering if the Wii would be helpful to use at home. I don't know if it would be enough cardio though. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Woodland

SW: 197 / CW: 141 / GW 135

:bcb_march One Day at a Time !!

I am also tempted by the Wii Fit. I'm not a regular video game player and so I'm not sure I would use it a lot.

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

Wii Fit is okay. EA Active for the Wii is AMAZING!!!! Cardio and resistance training. I highly recomend it!

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

Negitives for the Fit is that it's not much of a workout. The Cardio that it does have onlt=y lasts 5mins at a time. Ea active is like having a personal trainer. It automatically adjusts your workout over time as you get fit. It has a Low Med and high intensity levels that also increase with in each level.

Kristi- #4 Duchess Flies Like an Eagle

Proverbs 31:25

weight.png

I love the Wii Fit - and I'm sure I'd use it more once the extra people move out of my house!! The balance games are fun - doesn't seem like you're working out. :)

Heidi

SW: 244.8

CW: 239.4

I have the Wii Fit and EA Sports Active.

Wii Fit is fun and if you chain enough of the "aerobics" exercises together, you can build a nice, low-intensity workout out of it. It's not a particularly tough workout, but I have broken a light sweat. My current routine for the Wii Fit is to do the body test, then do Advanced Step (5 min) -> Long Run (5 min) -> Rhythm Boxing (6 min) -> Plank (Strength Training) -> Advanced Step (5 min). It makes a ~20 min workout that is pretty fun and is easy to fit into my day on days when I feel like I don't have time for much.

I also have EA Sports Active, which is AWESOME. The 30-day challenge workouts are short - 18-20 minutes - but intense. The first two workouts I couldn't even walk the next day I was so sore! You do not need a Wii Fit balance board to use EA Sports Active, but you can use one optionally. It comes with a leg band (to hold the nunchuck), a resistance band (that is pretty low-resistance, you may have to purchase a tougher one), and the game disk. It combines cardio, strength moves, and sports drills that are actually quite fun. The only downside is that there is no ab work at all.

Another game I am interested in for the Wii is My Fitness Coach. It is based on the old game Yourself! Fitness which was available for the Xbox several years ago. I used to use Yourself! Fitness in 2004-2005 and loved it -- also fantastic workouts. Kind of like customized workout DVDs. For this you do not need a balance board (Wii Fit), in fact, I believe no equipment is required, but you can tell it if you have free weights or a balance ball or other workout equipment, and if you do, it will incorporate those into your workouts. I don't own this game, but I hope to -- it looks even better than Yourself! Fitness.

Right now, Wii Fit, EA Sports Active, and Walking are my primary sources for exercise.

Gillian / SW: 273.0 / CW: 245.8 (7/25/2009) / GW: 145.0

Wii Fit is a good exercise. It really depends on how you do it. I wear a HRM and when I do Advanced Step I get a very good workout. So its all what you put into it. I really get tired of hearing people say its lame. You need to put into it what you want out of it.

My Fitness Coach is also a great work out.

EA Active: Top number 1 work out! Really works you as far as Strength goes. I did buy some Pilate bands to go along with it. The one that comes with it sucks big time.

Right now I use Wii Fit for Cardio (Yes you can get it in) and Active for Muscles

I just got the active. BUT I have not been able to use it yet because the leg strap is too small. It is also too small on my 150 lb 6 foot husband! I am VERY unhappy with this. I have seen people make their own leg straps, and will be trying it tonight. Will report back.

Laura, wife to big C, mama to little C and baby E

Hippy, daydreamer, SAHM, and Disney junkie

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/losingitforme/

vcx8991a7yvlx8df.png

SW 246.0/CW 246.0/GW 150-ish

I like EA Active - for a game, it's quite an intense workout, especially since it's less than 30 minutes and if you get a band with more resistance - but my leg strap has taken a bit of a beating, and I do wish it had a bit of focus on stretching.

There's a new Wii Fit - Wii Fit Plus - coming out in October, that let's you customize a bit more and string together workouts. My biggest complaint of Wii Fit is having to go back to the menu, so I'm looking forward to this upgrade.

Lori 2.0, new and improved!

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Activ3-Workout-Kit-Nintendo/dp/B002EEEQNW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IFTB0T9RC56MV&colid=TCQ7M9CMLNMG

This is put out by someone else and it looks stronger for EA. I have not bought it so cant testify to it.

But many people were upset as the bands are flimsy and the leg strap will break at some point.

losingitforme: It came with an extra piece of Velcro its suppose to shorten it but it can be used to make it bigger also. Did you try that?

losingitforme: It came with an extra piece of Velcro its suppose to shorten it but it can be used to make it bigger also. Did you try that?

I tried the 1st night I had it, it just rips off. I guess I need to sew it on or something. Putting the nuchuck in my pocket works ok, so does holding it there. I just wish they would think of these things.

Laura, wife to big C, mama to little C and baby E

Hippy, daydreamer, SAHM, and Disney junkie

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/losingitforme/

vcx8991a7yvlx8df.png

SW 246.0/CW 246.0/GW 150-ish

If it works in the pocket all the better. Because it is a bad strap and it will tear.

I had to add a thick fabric around the buckle and sew it on as mine ripped after a months use. Very poorly made :bcb_yuck:

Guest chellybats

My 2 cents on the Wii products.

I had WiiFit, Wii My Fitness Coach and EA Active.

They're all great for beginners, and really helped me with my weight loss, but in the end, to wait for the controllers to respond it was too easy and your body gets used to it.

I stick to jogging, and the biggest loser workouts kill me, same with anything jillian micheals.