Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
ccmandel

Fattoush Salad (chopped vegetables) 2 points

This happens to be an authentic middle eastern dish (so I've been told by a Lebanese friend)!) I have been making it for years and it always gets rave reviews!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fattoush Salad

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 Loaves pita bread rounds

2 whole cucumber

1 head iceberg lettuce

2 medium tomatoes

1/2 cup red onion

1/2 cup parsley

1 teaspoon mint

1/2 cup green pepper

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Separate and toast all halves of syrian bread until crunchy. Set aside. Slice cukes into thick slices and quarter. Mix Cukes, lettuce, tomatoes (chopped), red onion, green pepper and parsley. Mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. At the last minute pour dressing over veggies (first sprinkle mint) and toss. mix in syrian bread pieces.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 116 Calories; 7g Fat (52.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 320mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.

Susan

This happens to be an authentic middle eastern dish (so I've been told by a Lebanese friend)!) I have been making it for years and it always gets rave reviews!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fattoush Salad

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 Loaves pita bread rounds

2 whole cucumber

1 head iceberg lettuce

2 medium tomatoes

1/2 cup red onion

1/2 cup parsley

1 teaspoon mint

1/2 cup green pepper

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Separate and toast all halves of syrian bread until crunchy. Set aside. Slice cukes into thick slices and quarter. Mix Cukes, lettuce, tomatoes (chopped), red onion, green pepper and parsley. Mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. At the last minute pour dressing over veggies (first sprinkle mint) and toss. mix in syrian bread pieces.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 116 Calories; 7g Fat (52.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 320mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat.

Susan

Susan, this sounds great and I will have to try it for lunch this week.

I make a very similar recipe but you use nonfat plain yogurt and stuff the veggies into the pitas. Your's sounds like a more refreshing dish for the hot summer days here in Florida.

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

Susan, this sounds great and I will have to try it for lunch this week.

I make a very similar recipe but you use nonfat plain yogurt and stuff the veggies into the pitas. Your's sounds like a more refreshing dish for the hot summer days here in Florida.

Barbara

~~~~~~~~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybergranny49/sets/

original starting weight 270

returned to WW Oct. 12, 2005

241.4/142/155

Celebrate what you've accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.

This is a great recipe. Fattoush is very similar to the "Bread Salad" my Italian mother and grandmother used to make. They used wine vinegar instead of the lemon juice and toasted chunks of Italian bread instead of pita.

Roz

"When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake." - Plato<br /><br />"Whole lotta shakin' goin' on." - Jerry Lee Lewis

This is a great recipe. Fattoush is very similar to the "Bread Salad" my Italian mother and grandmother used to make. They used wine vinegar instead of the lemon juice and toasted chunks of Italian bread instead of pita.

Roz

"When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake." - Plato<br /><br />"Whole lotta shakin' goin' on." - Jerry Lee Lewis