Health Discovery Network
icinglady1

Agave Sweetened whole wheat carrot muffins

12 Jumbo Muffins (these freeze well or you can halve the recipe)

Combine dry ingredients well and set aside:

4 cups whole wheat flour

3 teaspoons cinnamon

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Wet Ingredients:

16 oz carrots (I process them on grind in my processor) finely grated

4 large eggs

2/3 cup dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 bottle (11.75 oz) Blue Agave Sweetener ( I get at trader joes $3)

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

Oven preheated to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 jumbo muffins by placing baking liners into pan and spraying with pam cooking spray.

Whisk together the flour,cinnamon,baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Finely grate the carrots and stir together with the remaining ingredients. Stir the carrot mixture into the flour mixture. Divide the batter evenly between the baking cups and bake until a skewer inserted into the muffin center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Immediately remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

My Notes: I think the muffins turn out more moist when you grind the carrots in the processor and it's a time saver too. My daycare kids absolutely LOVE these and think of them as "cupcakes". Agave syrup is a natural, unprocessed sweetener derived from the agave plant. there are several types of agave syrup.. I use the Trader Joes organic blue agave sweetener. The original recipe was for 12 regular sized muffins that were 7 points each. My version is a much leaner 4 points for the JUMBO size

I encourage you to run the numbers on your recipe builder to verify points. The agave sweetener that I use is: I use the entire bottle.

Serving per bottle = 16

Calories per serving =60 ( this is 1 point per tablespoon serving)

Fat per serving =0

Sugars per serving=16g

Carbohydrates: 16g

protein=0

The original recipe is from : Country Living Magazine January 2009 issue. I changed alot of the recipe to make it healthier.

Be your own best friend every day.

I am going to try these. I am loving the agave nectar. I am trying to stay away from artificial sweetners and it is really hard when you are trying to lose weight. I really like that it is low glycemic and natural. Do you think that these could be made in regular size muffin tins and just make more?

Jean

Jean - 330/215/150

I made these over the weekend, and all I can say is D-E-L-I-S-H! The muffins are HUGE, so next time I make them, I'm going to use a regular muffin pan and not the jumbo muffin pan.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Right now my Costco has a two-bottle pack of Blue Agave sweetener. It's the first time I've ever seen it there. It's probably a great deal for those who need "bunches" of it ~ :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile