Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

Are you on a diet or a "live it"?

That's this week's topic. NO MORE DIETING!!!!

Did you ever start on a "diet" with the intention of only losing weight temporarily????:bcb_huh: Or were you hoping for lasting change?:bcb_up

We all know that, in order to have long term success, we need to make this a lifestyle. What are some of the things you do to make it livable for LIFE! You can break it down into the four aspects of the plan, Eating Wisely, Moving More, Think First and Weekly Meetings.

Here's what I do:

Eating Wisely.

I eat foods I love. I have foods prepared and ready that I love. "Staples" like granola, baked oatmeal, roasted chickpeas...and tons of other foods that I buy regularly and have on hand. In addition I prepare meals and package them individually. But the key thing is that I keep foods I love on hand all the time. Recently I bought 5 lbs of cherries and 5 lbs of blueberries, just to eat! If they start to get old I'll freeze them, but what a great thing to have that much delicious fruit on hand!!!

Move More.

Well, this is just a part of my life. It's what I do every morning. And yes, I enjoy it! I think I was made to exercise at least 2 hours a day. Not that I can do that every day. I exercise in ways I enjoy. Mostly biking these days.

Think First.

I practice healthy thinking in terms of my eating. I recognize, examine and challenge irrational/sabotaging thoughts about food. The WW materials and the Beck Diet Solution are great resources for working on your thinking!

Weekly Meetings.

Being a leader really helps with this one!:bcb_smile I usually lead two meetings per week, which really helps me be accountable. Preparing for meetings keeps me constantly thinking of the challenges we face and solutions to them. Of course I learn TONS from, and am encouraged by, my members!!!

How 'bout you? How do you make this plan a lifestyle that you will continue forever!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the topic Lynn! As usual, this is a great way to think about how we relate to food. I remember something I read from another book that has really helped me with my thinking "Thin for Life"... Something like... "When you get to the pearly gates, and you are asked "What did you accomplish in life?" You want to be able to answer more than "I maintained my weight!". Weight is part of our life, and an important part of our health, but it is only a PART of the bigger picture.

In answer to Lynn's topic:

I eat foods that I plan to eat for the rest of my life. I don't eat foods that I don't like and can't envision being part of my lifetime eating plan. I happen to really enjoy healthy foods, which is a plus! I love to cook, and like Lynn, I prep. a lot of food in advance.

I struggle around social events and socializing, but recently have found a few things that help: counting points on the days that I am dealing with a lot of socializing, while trying to stick with Core choices. Also, I started to do some of the Cognitive Behavior Therapy thinking strategies that are suggested in Judith Beck's books, to "help with my thinking", and it sure has!

I do a lot of exercise, almost daily, and have modified it over the years to work with my schedule, my interests and my changing abilities as I get older! (The body isn't the same at 37 as it was at 19!) My favorite now is hiking and walking!

Also, I get support from BCB! And a variety of other resources and sources of information to keep me motivated to keep making good decisions.

I am working on my ability to plan my food days out, especially for challenging situations. Getting better all the time!

Cheers!

weight.png

weight.png

Great post Lynn!! So very true, you must make it a way of life. If you diet to lose weight and go back to the way you used to eat, no matter what program you follow, you will gain the weight back. That's why it's so important to choose a plan that fits with your life and has foods that you enjoy.

What I found is when I first started core, I missed my 100 calorie snacks and treats that I was eating on flex (but I wasn't losing weight!) Once I committed to core and eating healthy foods (I told myself to do it for 2 weeks and see where I was at), I was hooked! My tastes have changed so much! I crave oatmeal now! I crave fruit, I crave healthy foods! Yeah, occasionally I still want a non-core treat, but overall, my tastes have really changed.

Also, exercise is a must...so you should find something you enjoy. For me, it's putting on my mp3 player and heading out for a walk. I put a bunch of my favorite music on my mp3 and now look forward to my walks after work....it's my way of unwinding! Find what you enjoy and look forward to...if it's a chore and you dread it, you won't stay with it.

One thing I will throw out there for any "newbies" reading this post is that if I can lose 90 + lbs on core, ANYONE can! I was the poster child for starting and quitting diets (I had previously joined WW at least 15-20 times in the past - no exageration!!), I tried WW, low carb, Jenny Craig, you name it, I tried it - Core is the ONLY program that I have been able to make a way of life!! I LOVE IT!!!

Kelli from MN

"change happens one day at a time"

One thing I will throw out there for any "newbies" reading this post is that if I can lose 90 + lbs on core, ANYONE can! I was the poster child for starting and quitting diets (I had previously joined WW at least 15-20 times in the past - no exageration!!), I tried WW, low carb, Jenny Craig, you name it, I tried it - Core is the ONLY program that I have been able to make a way of life!! I LOVE IT!!!

WOW Kellbell that is QUITE the testimony! Thanks for sharing it!!!:bcb_up

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

This is key for me. I've had to face a LOT of changes over the past couple of years. How I would *like* to eat and how I *can* eat are two entirely different things. And I don't just mean that from a junk food/unhealthy food choice point of view. My allergies have gotten more severe over time and even healthy things that I'd like to eat are unhealthy *for me*.

So, even outside of the WW perspective, I sometimes feel restricted because of the vast quantity of food I simply cannot eat. It makes everyday eating feel more like a diet because I have to be conscious of WHAT I eat every single minute, even if I'm not necessarily being conscious of HOW MUCH of it I eat!!

Speaking of which, that's the biggest struggle for me. I've made a lot of progress in sticking exclusively to the foods that don't make me sick. I sometimes play around on the verge with foods that I'm not strictly allergic to but will provoke some kind of negative reaction (honestly, who actually feels GOOD after eating processed food??!!). What I struggle with now is the quantity issue. I exercise enough that I need food to fuel the exercise and also get hungry afterwards as my body repairs itself. That being said, I do still find myself eating even though I'm not hungry. It's a default action that I've been working on for years and making progress in fits and spurts. I've done better at switching WHAT I eat too much of so it's progress in small starts. If I'm going to eat when I'm not hungry, it might as well be on fruits and veggies instead of chips & ice cream!!

Kimberley

Love your new avatar, Lynn. You just seem HAPPY when you're riding...:bcb_bigsm

Good point. I want my weight loss to be permanent, not temporary.

I think another thing is to set yourself up for success. :salut

That's where all your BCB: "Get rid of triggers, set up a filling-foods pantry/freezer/fridge; prep and prepare filling-foods ahead of time" advice comes from. You are setting yourself up for success! :bcb_grin

Eat wisely: I automatically eat certain foods/meals about 95% of the time. And I eat them because I love them! :bcb_smile

I also read and try new things to keep things interesting. :salut [Do not believe Clean Eating's "No-bake chocolate chip cookie" recipe. :bcb_huh: In truth, it is a dried fruit/oat bar with cacoa nibs (broken chocolate beans). The "cookies" do have nutritional information, so you can "point" them...and they'd probably be great for people with allergies or those with extended exercise programs. I froze mine for DH to take golfing (in case he gets low blood sugar).]

Move More: It's helped to realize that my Ddog NEEDS a good walk. And for some reason, she won't walk unless we're a PACK. And I'm part of the pack! :salut:bcb_grin (Yes. I walk because the dog wants me to).:bcb_up

Think First. This is harder. Because sometimes I end up having arguments with myself...:bcb_wink3 And I win/I lose! Simultaneously.(Think about that one for awhile)

Meetings: Haven't gone in ages. Maybe I should...Anybuddy have any feelings about this?

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Kimberley my son and I live with food intolerances (me) and allergies (him.) I think the other way around, its what works for me. I thank my intolerances for keeping me away from dairy and soy. It's so much easier now for me that my list is so long of foods I can no longer eat. So I cannot be tempted it just cannot happen. That being said if anyone tried to take bread away from me? I cannot imagine that. So I do empathize with you.

I heard this meeting twice this week by two different leaders. I guess tonight when I work it'll be thrice/three leaders. So far I like the leader who had us make a list of "diet mentality" the best.

Peg

I am a Live it person!

I know this is what i need to do to stay healthy the rest of my life and to reduce the chances of late onset diabetis.

Plus its not hard to live with at all. The points are there for those special times...its a win win situation!

Rhonda

sw 222.2 cw 217.2 mg 165 gw 140

weight.png

exercise.png

Kimberly, I sometimes feel deprived with all my restrictions. I find if I can find new products, like the buckwheat cooked hot cereal and try new recipes (ones that I can have or ones I can adapt by leaving out ingredients or substituting ingredients). If instead of thinking of what I can not have I focus on what I can have it helps me. I do not always succeed but if I find myself starting to think negatively and then refuse to go there I have fewer times that I feel deprived. A friend of mine and I sometimes have gone to the grocery store together and she would stop in front of all the foods she could not have and say in a winy voice "I used to be able to have that". It was pulling me down so I told her not to do that when I am with her. I also find if when I am getting down if I remind myself how bad I felt before I got off the foods that I am allergic to it helps. I have had people say to me they could not avoid foods like I have to and I tell them if they felt as bad as I do when I eat some foods they would stay away from those foods. When I first got off my allergic foods it felt like I was learning to cook again and it took a while to find new foods or substitutions. I never did find a substitute for soy sauce and now would not be able to have it anyway because of the sodium. I am not one to think outside the box but found that I have to do that. It was my MIL, of all people, that taught me to think outside the box. One time she was making a salad that I knew she generally used Miracle Whip and asked her about it. She said she was going to do vinaigrette because I am allergic to eggs. I did go through a grieving period at first.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

I am on a "live it" even at the time I feel deprived.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Definitely "live it"! I just finished week 12 on core. I can't believe how differently I am eating, I can't believe I exercise and I can't believe I feel so much better! My taste buds have really changed and I do agree that planning is the key.

Great post Lynn!!!

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.