Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

The Grand August Experiment

Oh. I should post this. Because this is why it all started (for me): :salut

Yesterday was DH's best day for controlled blood sugar ALL DAY.

Morning: 101

Before lunch: 126

Bedtime: 128

(That's with 20 units insulin; he's also going to try 15 again.) So he's thrilled. Will discuss with his doctor in several weeks. When he told the doctor he was going to be trying this in August, the doctor gave him an indulging smile...) :bcb_up

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I was out of blueberries and didn't feel like having millet, soy milk & peaches for breakfast. So, I pulled a Carol and microwaved a sweet potato for breakfast. I put the last of the chana massala, avocado & salsa "hummus" on top of it.

Lunch will be the carrot & onion soup with red lentils and navy beans.

I don't know what we're doing for dinner. My default will be to make some brown rice pasta and have tomato sauce & assorted veggies on top.

I flirted with the idea of making a polenta pizza crust but I have no use for pizza without cheese so I probably won't go there.

Kimberley

I was out of blueberries and didn't feel like having millet, soy milk & peaches for breakfast. So, I pulled a Carol and microwaved a sweet potato for breakfast. I put the last of the chana massala, avocado & salsa "hummus" on top of it.

Lunch will be the carrot & onion soup with red lentils and navy beans.

I don't know what we're doing for dinner. My default will be to make some brown rice pasta and have tomato sauce & assorted veggies on top.

I flirted with the idea of making a polenta pizza crust but I have no use for pizza without cheese so I probably won't go there.

Hey, I pull-a-Carol every day! LOL! :bcb_grin

Okay. Okay. Here's the recipe for Tofu Ricotta...:bcb_up

1 container water-packed firm tofu (not Silken)

1/3 C. light miso (I use white)

2 TBS. tahini

2 TBS. olive oil

2-3 cloves garlic

1/4 nutritional yeast

2 tsp. dried basil

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 C. water

Toss all ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water for a thinner consistency.

Variation: Blend in 1-cup of fresh basil for a super creamy pesto that is out-of-this-world. --i'm-an-american-girl nom nom nom blog

Where in the store do you find tofu?

right next to the black beans?

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Where in the store do you find tofu?

right next to the black beans?

Yeah...:bcb_wink3

Now serious-answer. Mine is near the produce, in a refrigerated section that has: sprouts, fresh packaged herbs, refrigerated juices (like pomegranite), and other exotic specialty foods (i.e. soba noodles, kim chee). You can also find SILKEN tofu which is packaged and doesn't need to be refrigerated (in the store or at home). But this recipe (tofu ricotta) doesn't use that.

And if your store doesn't have black beans, I really worry about finding the nutritional yeast...! :bcb_huh: I found that in our local food co-op in a bulk bin.

What's the name of your grocery store(s)? Maybe some Buddies know right where to direct you, Pandorra! :bcb_bigsm

Yeah...:bcb_wink3

Now serious-answer. Mine is near the produce, in a refrigerated section that has: sprouts, fresh packaged herbs, refrigerated juices (like pomegranite), and other exotic specialty foods (i.e. soba noodles, kim chee). You can also find SILKEN tofu which is packaged and doesn't need to be refrigerated (in the store or at home). But this recipe (tofu ricotta) doesn't use that.

And if your store doesn't have black beans, I really worry about finding the nutritional yeast...! :bcb_huh: I found that in our local food co-op in a bulk bin.

What's the name of your grocery store(s)? Maybe some Buddies know right where to direct you, Pandorra! :bcb_bigsm

I shop at Publix grocery store. My town is small so my Publix is not huge and doesnt stock a variety of stuff. It is the only grocery store in town, I have no other options.

We do have a section with bean sprouts, it's where I find my soy cheese and polenta rolls. That might be a good place to start.

I wasnt going to make the ricotta cheese thing anyway, I was just wondering where I could find the tofu.

**Sharyn**

So you might be able to find the aseptic packaged tofu, too. It doesn't have to be refrigerated and lasts for years (or some amount of long time)...:bcb_smile

Kimberley, have you tried it without cheese. Pizza without cheese is really quite good. I have a neighbor that like me is allergic to dairy and said she really misses pizza. I told her just leave the cheese off and at first she did not believe me. I told unless you try it you will not know. After trying it she told me it was good.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

How about I start with Carol's tofu ricotta cheese recipe on the polenta pizza (BTW- I have problems with yeast so I'm going to try it without). I know you can actually have pizza without cheese but that's kind of like I know you can live in a world without chocolate. Neither one appeals to me! LOL :bcb_grin

I believe I might do that for dinner-- get the polenta made and firming in the fridge, head over to the grocery store to get some tofu (BTW- Pandorra, I find tofu in the meat section with the hot dogs and deli meat), mushrooms & pineapple bits.

I feel like I'm getting into a bit of a rut where the idea of some combination of veggies & beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner is causing stress and resentment. This sounds like just the trick! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Im confused :bcb_worry

Why can't you make pizza with soy cheese?

**Sharyn**

The #3 ingredient in soy cheese is "modified corn starch" which is a pseudonym for MSG (it's in the process of modifying the corn starch). I'm very allergic to MSG.

Kimberley

I'm guessing you can...I'm choosing not to eat it (highly processed) while I'm on weight loss. :bcb_smile

Mmmm, I'm SO excited about my pizza dinner after yoga tonight!! I've got the polenta pizza in the oven baking right now!! The tofu pesto/ricotta is "curing" in the fridge. It smells really good!! I've got the mushrooms and crushed pineapple just waiting as well. I almost want to skip yoga so I can eat earlier!! LOL :bcb_grin

BTW- I'm happy to be on track for an entirely Core/SF day. That rarely happens as I either wind up having a potato and rice in the same day or else something else like sugar in a recipe instead of artificial sweetener or some dried fruit or even some cheese or butter, etc. I keep aiming to have a completely Core day and I think I just stumbled upon it today!!

So, breakfast was a sweet potato w/chana, avocado & salsa "hummus", snack was a banana, lunch was carrot & onion soup with red lentils, navy beans & millet, snack was watermelon (and probably an apple before I go to yoga), dinner will be polenta pizza with tofu pesto and other veggies! :bcb_up

Kimberley

Gosh, your day-of-foods sounds wonderful, Kimberley! :bcb_bigsm

And let me know how your tofu-ricotta-pesto tastes...

YOU'RE the guinea pig! :bcb_bravo

:wave:

Ooooh, it was GOOD!! :bcb_up

Another possibility occurred to me. When I was spreading the tofu pesto on the polenta pizza, DH asked me if it was a bean paste. I guess there's no reason why I couldn't just puree some beans and do the same thing! Claire actually *loves* a refried bean pizza.......

The only "problem" right now is that I'm under points for the day. I know I'll need to have a snack later on as I'm taking the kids for a bike ride right now and I'm only at target (so between the bike ride and the spin class this morning, I need to eat a few more points). I should have a plan in place for tonight so I know what to do when hunger strikes instead of just taking it as it comes....

PS- I may have spoken too soon. I stopped off at the grocery store when I was at the mall and found some Earth Balance. I'm very happy to have a vegan butter alternative, and one that looks like it won't trigger any of my allergies. Now I can have some "butter" on my popcorn (counted, of course) guilt-free. I think that's a good way to use up my remaining points tonight-- even though the earth balance isn't Core (I'm actually counting points and have around 8APs to use tonight).

Kimberley

DH loves it Kimberley. Puts it on his corn on the cob, and his homemade whole grain bread.

I'm so glad he found something he's happy with ~ :salut

I really enjoyed it on the popcorn tonight Carol! I've been feeling guilty about putting butter on my popcorn when I've had it for an evening snack but this I can handle guilt-free (except for the added soy that seems to be popping up a lot more lately :bcb_blush ). I might even use some for corn on the cob as well! I usually don't have much butter at all but I switched from the 94% FF Core approved popcorns because of all the chemicals on the microwave bag. So, it's worth it to me to add 1-2 points to have some "butter" on there!

And, I wound up having a few dried figs tonight so I didn't keep my "perfect" Core day intact. Oh well. I had more than enough points to cover it all. And I need to accept that I should *never* post about how I'm going to do something because it's a surefire way for my mind to find a way to rebel against it. I've been happily following both WW and the Experiment for a while now and I don't need to start putting further restrictions on it by trying to have days where I don't eat anything that's not Core-- especially when I'm actually counting points these days!! :crazy:

Kimberley

Yeah, Kimberley...you shouldn't say anything until the next day...:bcb_up:bcb_happy

Too much pressure. :bcb_wink3

No self-imposed limits. Or perceived self-imposed limits...:salut

I am still loving this thread.

I added some boiled yukon gold potatoes to my dinner tonight. I was thinking about them all day! I also grilled some green beans on the George Foreman. They were yummy.

Earned plenty of APs for the day. Spinning and walking on my breaks. Life is good!

I have to admit that it took me a long time to find polenta rolls at the market!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I am still loving this thread.

I added some boiled yukon gold potatoes to my dinner tonight. I was thinking about them all day! I also grilled some green beans on the George Foreman. They were yummy.

Earned plenty of APs for the day. Spinning and walking on my breaks. Life is good!

I have to admit that it took me a long time to find polenta rolls at the market!

Me, too! :bcb_bigsm

I saw a sack of "gold" potatoes at Costco. They didn't say Yukon Gold. I LOVE Yukon Gold, so I didn't get them. Didn't want to be disappointed...:bcb_cry:

Green beans on your George Foreman. GREAT IDEA. :salut

I had a great day. I think I've had oatmeal/blueberries (or raisins) for breakfast for "I don't know how long" now...:bcb_bigsm

It was a great day all around for me, too. (And that's with what Dr. McD said..."our family’s troubles appear beyond reason or solution" bcb_sad)

But I can choose baked potatoes over french fries, and water over fructose-filled soda, and a walk over the couch... :salut

And I did. :salut

Guest sodacracker

You know your eating has changed when your food related stress is reduced to, "I forgot to buy potato's yesterday!" :bcb_grin

Love this way of eating. Have I said that? :bcb_wink3

I love this thread too, so fun and supportive :salut

I'm ready for today. I don't really have a plan for today but I know what I have to do-- figure out my breakfast immediately, pick a vegan option when we eat out for lunch at the market (I know the Soup Kitchen is "safe" for my allergies so I'll just find a bean/veggie soup) and then make a plan for dinner (default is making polenta pizza with tofu pesto again).

PS- I forgot to add yesterday that I did amend the "pesto" recipe. I used one package of tofu, one bunch of basil (not sure if it was 1c), 1/5c of light miso, 1tbsp olive oil, 2-3 cloves garlic & 1/4c water. No yeast and no tahini (allergic).

Kimberley

I AM .1 POUND FROM GOAL, Buddies! :bcb_grin

And I'm going SWIMMING today, so hopefully that will dissolve that .1...:bcb_up

So funny, Soda. I've got a big bag of fingerling potatoes, so that's like $$$ in the bank...! :bcb_LOL:

I think I'll be making Red Pepper Hummus today. And Lemon Tahini sauce for a grain salad, or maybe Zesty Tofu topping for a baked potato...(I've got my weekly plan, but I can change my days around ~) :bcb_smile

DH and I were talking about his b'day, and what he wants. He said the PEACH he had yesterday was the BEST. So we decided we'd have family over for dessert: peach shortcake. And I told him I could make him Cashew Cream, which is a substitute for whipped cream and he seemed excited about that ~

Still thinking, though ~ We could have people over for "burgers" and ours could be a grilled portabella, which would be fun. :salut

Since I didn't soak my garbanzos (for the non-toxic effect :bcb_up) I think I'll pressure cook the yellow split pea hummus today.

It's supposed to be so "creamy" you don't need tahini (says Lorna) and it tastes better after the flavors meld/develop. So we'll see! :bcb_bigsm

I'll let you know. :salut

So Kimberley, how did the tofu-ricotta-pesto taste? Would you make it again? :bcb_confu

When DH and I were taking our fast-walk, I said, "We're gonna' be the Skinny Rats! The ones that gravitate towards the hamster wheels...the ones where the scientists say 'Shouldn't they have died by now?'...!" LOL! :bcb_up

DH's morning sugar was 72. At the golf tournie yesterday he ate his best choices: hot dog bun (slathered with) baked beans, and potato salad. :salut

Nothing like jumping on the bandwagon a bit late. Better late then never. I am so fascinated with this site and the info about the China Study.

Most of you do not remember me, I was never a daily poster but always encouraged our BB Buddies. I have been on a rough journey since March when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I am lucky though, stage 0 contained in the duct. I had a lumpectomy and just finished 6 weeks of radiation about 3 weeks ago. None of you realized how important you are to me.

Near the end of my treatment I lost my appetite but didn't want junk food or wine, etc. My eating habits changed. I just wanted fruit and vegatables and oatmeal!! I believe that sometimes the body tells us what we should have but we don't always listen. I have lost 5 lbs over the past 2 months.

My Breast Cancer was Estrogen induced so I really need to avoid Soy. I will be having a Hysterectomy in Jan. I do have Endometrosis but my Ovaries need to be out, I will help with the Estrogen situation. I am 66 so I won't miss them.

I have done so much research and the best thing for all woman is to avoid processed food and eat Organic as much as you can. We are not perfect but doing the best that we can. Of course, Early Detection is a must. Also Vitamin D and E and of course Calcium.

Thank you to all my BCB's. I can't afford to buy the book but I did get on his site and the receipes seem good. I don't like Tofu though.

Can we eat nuts? No Chicken? Carol, this site was under my nose and I just discovered it. Thanks for everything and we will all keep on trucking:bcb_march Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy