Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

The Grand August Experiment

Guest sodacracker
I AM .1 POUND FROM GOAL, Buddies! :bcb_grin.

Who Hoo!! That is good news after being over goal for, what was it, 13 months? Very proud of you, and thanking you for leading the way on getting some of us, 'lifetime and over-goal' buddies, energized to reclaim our health and goal weight.:salut

Cashew Cream, which is a substitute for whipped cream

This stuff is delicious. At the raw vegan restaurant here in town they use a lot of nut creams. I will visit there once I am back at goal and have more WPA's.

Guest sodacracker
Most of you do not remember me, I was never a daily poster but always encouraged our BB Buddies. I have been on a rough journey since March when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I am lucky though, stage 0 contained in the duct. I had a lumpectomy and just finished 6 weeks of radiation about 3 weeks ago. None of you realized how important you are to me.

Hi tatertors, I do remember you. :bcb_smile I and am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It sounds like you are primed for healthy eating that will help you feel in control of what goes into your body and know that you are eating the best for your health.

I have done so much research and the best thing for all woman is to avoid processed food and eat Organic as much as you can.

It will be interesting to hear from you about what you are learning about food and cancer.

Welcome back. :salut

Nothing like jumping on the bandwagon a bit late. Better late then never. I am so fascinated with this site and the info about the China Study.

Most of you do not remember me, I was never a daily poster but always encouraged our BB Buddies. I have been on a rough journey since March when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I am lucky though, stage 0 contained in the duct. I had a lumpectomy and just finished 6 weeks of radiation about 3 weeks ago. None of you realized how important you are to me.

Near the end of my treatment I lost my appetite but didn't want junk food or wine, etc. My eating habits changed. I just wanted fruit and vegatables and oatmeal!! I believe that sometimes the body tells us what we should have but we don't always listen. I have lost 5 lbs over the past 2 months.

My Breast Cancer was Estrogen induced so I really need to avoid Soy. I will be having a Hysterectomy in Jan. I do have Endometrosis but my Ovaries need to be out, I will help with the Estrogen situation. I am 66 so I won't miss them.

I have done so much research and the best thing for all woman is to avoid processed food and eat Organic as much as you can. We are not perfect but doing the best that we can. Of course, Early Detection is a must. Also Vitamin D and E and of course Calcium.

Thank you to all my BCB's. I can't afford to buy the book but I did get on his site and the receipes seem good. I don't like Tofu though.

Can we eat nuts? No Chicken? Carol, this site was under my nose and I just discovered it. Thanks for everything and we will all keep on trucking:bcb_march Judy

Actually we're all doing this a bit differently: some are vegetarian, some are vegan. And I'm a vegetable-a-tarian. Pretty much all are emphasizing: whole plant-based diet. (I'm trying starch-emphasized, whole plant-based.:bcb_smile )

So it's kind of what you're talking about...only eliminating (some or all) animal protein (milk, eggs, yogurt, cheese, meat, fish).

Can you get the book from your library? There's a chapter on cancer in there; I bet you like to read it and see what you think. :bcb_smile

I'm avoiding "soy protein isolate" which is in some bars and processed tofu-foods. Also oil, for the month of August.

Including nuts (count on SF) depends on whether you're trying to lose weight (MWL, maximum weight loss recipes on Dr.McD) OR if you're going for NMWL (non-maximum weight loss, which includes high fat plant foods like: avocados, olives, nuts/nut butters--count nuts on SF).

The China Study was written by Campbell. McD has a website on a whole plant-based diet (starch emphasized). And Dr. Culmer recommends both guys on his web-site. You have to read and personalize the info based on your circumstances and preferences. :salut

Many well-wishes, Judy ~ :buddysmoo

And I hope we keep hearing from you ~ :bcb_smile

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

Thanks so much Soda and Carol. Life is a journey and it is what we make it. I am Cancer free and feel so blessed.

Being on Core helped so much and now, my body has decided for me to make another transition. I have not thought about weight loss or do not feel like I am on a diet. It is a lifestyle and it all comes together naturally.

Yes, I will go to the library or maybe I can get a deal at the half price book store. I don't think I can give up everything but meat does not seem to be a problem. I still want an egg now and then and also I really like my yogurt smoothies without milk. I have also given up phony sweetners and phony margarines

Another thing I have learned is about deodorant. We all should use natural brands like Crystal, etc. The other brands have aluminum and it has been linked to breast cancer. While going for my treatments, that is what was recommended.

I continue to look forward to all your suggestions and wonderful receipes. Here's to good health, and the power of positive thinking. Judy:salut

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

Good day in the works here! I wound up munching on fruit for breakfast as I had a slow start to the day and didn't get any millet or buckwheat groats cooked this morning. Lunch was at the market with another family. I got the 1 litre container of home-made vegetable soup from the piping kettle. I called it 3 points because there were a few pieces of Yukon Gold and sweet potato but it was basically all 0pt veggies in a veggie stock. So, I was getting close to 10 servings of F&V by lunch! LOL

We had some popcorn with Earth Balance vegan spread for an afternoon snack. Dinner is polenta pizza again with some more tofu pesto as well as a summer squash I picked up at the market and the rest of the crushed pineapple.

GOOD EATING!! :bcb_up

Carol- Woo-Hoo!! Personally, I'd count myself back at goal that close but we can wait for your official WI day when you'll likely be *below* goal weight by then!! :bcb_bravo

What did you mean by the non-toxic affect to not soak the beans? I haven't read anything about soaking beans making them more toxic, but less (if we're talking about toxic fumes, that is! LOL)

As for the tofu pesto, I'm inclined to try it with beans next time. I'm worried about the increasing amount of soy in my diet. It's a tough call as meat is carcinogenic and so is too much soy. Without having dairy and meat in my diet, I probably have more flexibility to "splurge" a bit more with soy but since I have soy milk most days for breakfast, I don't want to have too many more soy products through the rest of the day! If the bean pesto doesn't work as well, I'd definitely return to tofu pesto but I suspect that a well cooked bean would sub in quite nicely.

Speaking of which, I find that the chana massala dal beans (kin to yellow split peas) make a great hummus. Lentils can work as well. I think we're used to the taste of a chickpea hummus but it is a coarser bean and other beans absorb water and are creamier when blended!!

Judy- :welcome:! This may be TMI, but I gave up deodorant/antiperspirant around a year ago. I remember a Thai/Chinese friend of mine growing up who said that Asian people don't need to wear antiperspirant. I remember thinking at the time that they probably could benefit from deodorant by the smell of her! LOL :bcb_grin But with the amount of exercise I do each day, I wind up showering every day. I sweat like the dickens when I'm exercising but I shower it all off afterwards and then I don't tend to sweat much more through the rest of the day!!

Kimberley

I meant I hadn't gotten around to soaking my beans...and I WANT to soak my beans...:salut:bcb_smile

I could tell the story the septic guy told us as he was pumping the septic tank: about the two elderly sisters who were vegetarians/maybe vegan (whose septic tank he pumped)...

(Their poop didn't stink.) :bcb_up

LOL! Seriously. He told us that.

I'll drink soymilk in my tea, morning and afternoon. 1/2 C. total per day.

And I'll start eating tofu about once a week, once I get to goal. No more than that...

Thanks for your warm Welcome Kim. You are better off and how wonderful you don't smell:bcb_grin

sw 169

cw 161.82

Guest sodacracker

ummm .... :bcb_blush I don't think I could add anything else on the topic at this point . Well, I could, but I won't! :bcb_grin

....returning to our usual channel of Plant Based Eating on Simply Filling!

TOnight I learned that not all vegetables and grains taste great together.

I mixed a bag of frozen diced eggplant, peppers, onions and carrot with some kidney beans and oat groats, not too bad, BUT then I added some frozen cubed spinach and blech :bcb_sick:

I tried making a polenta base and spooning the mixture on top and nope, still not tasty. Added hot sauce and tears came to my eyes, and at that point thought, this is not a keeper - out in the compost for this entree.

Had LARGE bowl of oatmeal and cooked quinoa with 2 sliced peaches on top for supper.

Boy this thread has been busy today!

Kim, I made some of the tofu sour cream. It is good! Made it last night for my dahl tonight. Thank you.

Welcome Judy!

I don't know if I can call myself vegan, but I am close. I'm following a plant based diet, and I think I am closest to Dr C's site.

"Well, it seems to be working for me."

How do you all use your George Foreman grills? I used to always spray it with Pam for grilling. I did last night with my green beans. Tonight I made asparagus with just the same Pam left on it from last night. (Is that too gross that I did not wash the grill?) I wondering if I even need to spray the grill?

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Guest sodacracker

We threw our grill out after the non stick coating started to flake off, but now I am thinking another one for vegetables would be nice.

Do you just put the green beans on the grill and shut the lid?

Yes, I just put the green beans on the grill and shut the lid. The beans were a little browned in spots.

They were memorable! I'm buying more green beans tomorrow!

I sprayed the grill, but am not sure I needed to.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

Here's a simple throw-together dinner that WORKED, Soda! :bcb_happy

Diced (cold) baked potato and some black-eyed peas, heated in micro on "HIGH" for 1 minute. Added Toby's tofu pate and salsa on top with diced cukes and diced fresh tomato.

Heated a mini-bel on top of DS's...

DS, 27, who is the KING of burritos and Mexican food and knows where all the Good Ones are said (surprised), "This tastes GREAT!?"

And then made himself seconds. :bcb_huh::bcb_bigsm:bcb_up LOL.

Donna, I don't know about GF. Have you googled your question? I would think cleaning wouldn't matter as much with plain veggies. :salut And if you don't get a satisfactory answer, try it without oil-spray and see what you think.:salut

try it without oil-spray and see what you think.:salut

Good idea.

I just opened an email from Bell Plantation for a sale they are having on PB2.

I wonder what Dr C and Dr McD say about PB2?

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

Well, nuts are usually a high-fat whole plant food that are fine when you're not in MWL (maximum weight loss).

A lot of the fat's taken out...some sugar added, right? Nothing bad...

(Count it on SF, of course).

I don't know what they'd say. Can you ask Dr. C?...:bcb_smile:salut

Another thing I have learned is about deodorant. We all should use natural brands like Crystal, etc. The other brands have aluminum and it has been linked to breast cancer. While going for my treatments, that is what was recommended.

Judy, I also use a natural brand. Even though they say there is no evidence that aluminum in deodorants causes Alzheimer’s I did not feel comfortable using it. Because both my parents had Alzheimer’s and 2 out of 3 of my DM's siblings had Alzheimer’s it concerns me. The one sibling that did not died in his 60s of heart disease so do not know if he would have gotten it if he had lived longer.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Guest sodacracker

Trying this today.

and this which has 1 WPA per serving for the agave (I am using sugar) and juice.

Last night went to a friend's house for my late Birthday dinner. The three of them are thin so I really didn't worry about dinner. We had crockpot pork chops, baked beans and an Asian salad. For dessert we had a tiny chocolate concoction which was enough for us to have about two bites and sing Hapy Birthday to me. We then had cut up Cantelope.

I still don't know what I am doing but I do know that I am loving the fact that I have no cravings!!! I am in my high 50's for the first time in a very long while. I still have fat around the middle and my size has not changed. Exercise wil take care of that.

Judy, I'm glad that y ou are using a natual product! Judy:salut

sw 169

cw 161.82

Trying this today.

And I was just wondering what I was going to do with the tofu I bought yesterday. This looks really good

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

Soda, let us know how they turn out! Here's a fantastic recipe I posted in 2002 on BCB. Just in case you can't find good whole wheat wraps ~

Whole Wheat And Dried Cranberry Chapatis

Makes 12 chapatis

"These round unleavened breads stuffed with 'rubies' make an excellent accompaniment to a curry or soup. Brush with melted ghee or spread with cream cheese, if desired." -Veggie Life magazine

1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour

2/3 C. dried cranberries, chopped

1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil

1/2 tsp. sea salt (I used regular salt)

1/2 to 3/4 C. cool water

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and dried cranberries. Mix in oil, salt, and just enough water to form a soft dough.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 5 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth (I used Saran Wrap) and allow to rest for 5 minutes to 12 hours (I waited 30 minutes).

Knead dough again for 2-3 minutes and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6" round.

In a dry skillet over medium heat, cook each chapati until lightly flecked with brown, 1 minute per side. (I used a flattened dough ball in my electric tortilla maker, 1 minute per side.)

Per chapati: 76 calories (10% from fat), 2 g. protein, 1 g. fat, 15 g. carb, 90 mg sod, 0 mg chol, 2 g fiber. 1 WW point each.

*Hint: These are also great with peanut butter says DH and myself...! The cranberries are like *built-in JAM*!! Let me know if you like them. Carol

I'm going to try them without the cranberries, and since I sold my tortilla press, I'll be rolling them with a rolling pin ~ :bcb_smile

I still don't know what I am doing but I do know that I am loving the fact that I have no cravings!!! I am in my high 50's for the first time in a very long while. I still have fat around the middle and my size has not changed. Exercise wil take care of that.

For a start, one thing you can try, Judy, is 2 for 2. For 2 weeks you have 2 of your meals be plant-based. Dinner: your choice.

Breakfast: oatmeal. Lunch: rice and beans. :salut Every day for 2 weeks.

That's it! Donna did that, and she said it changed her life ! :bcb_bigsm

Need to figure things out for the day. I have to go to the store to buy more millet as I've been scrambling for the past couple of mornings. The leftovers are done as well (except for the soup) so it's time to start making some more staples. I think DH & the kids are leaving tomorrow morning to go camping overnight so perhaps I'll do lots of cooking while they're gone and scrape through today with sweet potatoes, salsa and other things I have on hand!

Mmmmmm, chapatis and samosas!! At least the filling looked good! We normally make our chapatis with chickpea flour anyway (gluten-free). I buy corn tortillas and the others can use flour tortillas for samosas. Thanks for the link Soda as I actually bought some vegetarian samosas (halal) for the kids since they like them. I didn't consider making them for us all!!

Donna- You're welcome. I haven't even tried that one yet!

BTW- I have finished my vegan recipe document (added on from the one Kim emailed some of us). It's up past 70 pages at this point. Almost all the recipes are gluten-free as well (some of Kim's aren't, all of the ones I added are). Just email me if you would like a copy! (kjweaver@rogers.com)

Kimberley

Guest sodacracker
Soda, let us know how they turn out! Here's a fantastic recipe I posted in 2002 on BCB. Just in case you can't find good whole wheat wraps ~

Whole Wheat And Dried Cranberry Chapatis

I'm going to try them without the cranberries, and since I sold my tortilla press, I'll be rolling them with a rolling pin ~ :bcb_smile.

I found Ezekiel wraps, which I do like, but DS finds too chewy. This recipe looks like fun to make and are probably good because they are warm and fresh. I think I will give them a whirl too. :bcb_smile

Guest sodacracker

The BlueBerry Oat bars are excellent :bcb_bigsm

True to BCB form I substituted. :bcb_wink3

honey for agave and water for juice in the blueberry filling

For the oatmeal part I used 1/2 quick oats and 1/2 oat bran

a small 4 ounce applesauce

4 tbsp of sugar

1/2 cup water ( to make up for using dry sugar instead of agave.)

The oatmeal part was a sort of wet, clumpy mixture that patted nicely into the pan and I spread it with my fingers bit by bit over the top.

I cut it into 9 nice sized pieces and counted 8 points for the sugar for the whole thing or 1 per piece.

I found Ezekiel wraps, which I do like, but DS finds too chewy. This recipe looks like fun to make and are probably good because they are warm and fresh. I think I will give them a whirl too. :bcb_smile

I agree. It's hard to find a good whole grain wrap. That's why I was so surprised how soft and malleable these are ~ :bcb_smile

Or at least that's how I remember them. It was 2002! :bcb_huh::bcb_up

Heck, I bet DS would love to make these wraps! (And wouldn't THAT make them taste good...! :bcb_bigsm )

Thank you Carol. I will do that. I'm off to a good start. I had oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast. I appreciate the suggestion and will do so!!!

sw 169

cw 161.82