Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

The Grand August Experiment

I hope Carol has all the confetti cleaned up by now.

I am so content this morning. I have two sweet potatos baking in the oven, a pot of gold potatoes boiling, a bowel of chick peas marinating with onions , celery and vinegar. I also cut up a cantelope that I got at the Farmer's Market and I have a container of bluberries and strawberries.

Starting today I am going to try what Carol suggested. I will be having rice and beans for lunch for the next two weeks. I am so pumped!!!

Are you talking about the dry milk, like Carnation? Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

I hope Carol has all the confetti cleaned up by now.

I am so content this morning. I have two sweet potatos baking in the oven, a pot of gold potatoes boiling, a bowel of chick peas marinating with onions , celery and vinegar. I also cut up a cantelope that I got at the Farmer's Market and I have a container of bluberries and strawberries.

Starting today I am going to try what Carol suggested. I will be having rice and beans for lunch for the next two weeks. I am so pumped!!!

Are you talking about the dry milk, like Carnation? Judy

Cool, Judy...:bcb_happy:salut

What about dry milk? :bcb_confu

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

OH. The "non-dairy milk" you can keep in the cupboard?

No, Carnation is animal-milk. (Is that the way to say that? Sounds funny.)

I'm talking about: soymilk, almond milk, and rice milk that come in those aseptic waxed-cardboard packages that are in the "baking" section (non-refrigerated) of your grocery store.

They keep in the pantry, and when you open them you keep what's left in the refrigerator. :salut:bcb_smile

Do you know what I'm talking about? Have you seen them? Many different kinds and brands. :salut

(Reread your foods and boy do they sound good!)

P.S. In the Joy Of Vegan Baking, she was saying it's so cool because you can have the unrefrigerated non-dairy milk, and silken tofu, etc. in your pantry so you can BAKE when the urge hits. :salut

And you can taste "batter" without worrying about getting salmonella! :bcb_bigsm ( I have thought the same thing.)

Carol and Judy, I think this is what Judy was asking about? Which I assume is NOT Carnation dry milk since that is actually made from MILK!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Yes, I have seen them in the organic section of Krogers I can't have soy milk(due to my estrogen induced breast cancer) but I will try the rice milk.

Also, I will be buying the book. I thought it was very expensive but it is not. I believe I can get it for $11.00!!! Reading the book should keep me focused especially since I will have my 87 yr. old mother here until Wed. She will be having her first cataract surgery Tuesday. I love her dearly and I am blessed to have my Mom but she brings out emotions in me that is difficult to deal with at times. Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

I haven't had anything to eat yet today. I'm too tired to think of eating and my stomach has yet to wake up. I'll make sure to have something at some point but if today is just a "fasting day", so be it. I predict that my desire for that sweet potato will wake up soon enough! :bcb_wink3

Judy- You can make your own brown rice milk as well so it's Core and doesn't have all the chemicals/additives you get when you buy packaged rice milk.

I'm thinking of making my own almond milk one of these days....

Kimberley

How do you do it, Kimberley? (recipe?)

I'd like to add it to my stash of new knowledge. :salut:bcb_smile

RICE MILK

1c warm/hot rice (cooked)

4c hot water

1tsp vanilla

1. Put the rice, water, vanilla and sweetener in a blender and puree for 3-5 minutes, until smooth

2. Let it stand for 30 minutes or more, up to several hours.

3. Then, without shaking, pour the rice milk into another container, being careful not to let the sediments at the bottom pour into the new container

4. Alternatively, if you are in a hurry, strain the rice milk through a cheesecloth

5. This makes 4-4 1/2 c .

ALMOND MILK

Ingredients:

1 to 1 ½ cups of raw almonds

4 cups of filtered or spring water

3-8 dates (optional)

Directions:

1. Soak almonds in water for at least six hours.

2. Drain soaked almonds, and blend with 4 cups of fresh water until you get a milk-like consistency. Blend with dates (that have been soaked for at least an hour) if you like a hint of sweetness to your milk.

3. Strain once to remove almond granules.

Kimberley

The Cashew Cream is phenomenal! :bcb_grin

I'll tell you all about it after the b'day dessert: fresh peach topped shortcakes (scones) with Cashew Cream.

DD already called, (I know) worried about that cashew cream (or her boyfriend is...:bcb_up). I said we were having B & J's vanilla for those who wanted it.

She sounded soooooooooo relieved! LOL. :bcb_grin:bcb_up

Guest sodacracker

Carol, DD has a boyfriend?! :bcb_up

Hunger never did really catch me today. I forced down a sweet potato with salsa mid-afternoon. At dinner, I discovered our fresh figs were starting to go bad so DH & I finished them off and I had a banana. My tongue is feeling kind of weird from the figs. I'm just going to live to eat another day. I only had 6 points worth of food so I'll be prepared for hunger tomorrow.

I made the pesto pasta recipe and it's in the fridge waiting for tomorrow. I used brown rice pasta and the pesto was made with a whole can of white kidney beans (hadn't had anything soaked in advance), basil, garlic, zucchini and lemon juice pureed together. I put in some organic baby spinach and chopped up some organic zucchini and cherry tomatoes as well. It's all marinating in the fridge and just thinking about it almost makes me hungry! LOL

I'm going to have a shake for breakfast tomorrow, the pasta for lunch and probably something with mushrooms tomorrow as I have a package of sliced mini bellos from Costco that needs to get eaten PRONTO. Any ideas? I normally fry the entire package up and have it as a side dish with steak. I guess I could just fry them up and eat them as a side dish with a sweet potato? Or maybe if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll make some red lentil or chickpea burgers......

Carol- Mmmmmmm, Cashew Cream sounds like a dream! Happy Birthday to DH! How are his blood sugar levels these days?

Soda- I bought the Vega whole food optimizer. It was $70! :bcb_huh: Where did you get yours for $58? You're in SW Ont, aren't you? It's probably cheaper for me to drive to your town! LOL

Kimberley

Carol, DD has a boyfriend?! :bcb_up

Yes, they've been together for a year and they are ve-ry happy ~ :bcb_smile

Carol- Mmmmmmm, Cashew Cream sounds like a dream! Happy Birthday to DH! How are his blood sugar levels these days?

Today: morning, 91; before lunch, 101. :bcb_bigsm Wonderful control these days ~ :salut

There were 2 cashew cream recipes. Lorna's was just raw cashews and soymilk. A lot like whipped cream, but...:bcb_huh:

So I also played with Joy Of Vegan Baking, which was raw cashews, water, salt, maple syrup and vanilla extract.

I used some brown sugar (since I'd already had soymilk) and vanilla extract. Then added 1 TBS. maple syrup and 1 TBS. white sugar...It was perfect.

I froze it, then stirred it, then topped the fresh chopped peaches/scone. DD said she liked it BETTER than whipped cream! (But she had never really loved whipped cream.) She thought it had the consistency of Cool Whip! LOL. :bcb_grin:bcb_wink3

I froze the rest in cubes, so we can have just the "right" amount for single servings of dessert items in the future. :salut

I'm anxious to hear what DH really thought....:bcb_smile He's gone to buy two new golf clubs ($$ burning a hole in his pocket).

Guest sodacracker

Here is my new blog on plant eating!

It is kind of a place to park all the recipes I am trying so that I can leave the laptop in the kitchen and instead of saving bits of paper just cut and paste into the blog.

I am excited! Fabulous dinner of freshly roasted corn, sweet potato and bean loaf ( see my blog for recipe! :bcb_bigsm).

Put it in your SIGNATURE, Buddy! :bcb_grin

You won't believe this. My DS has been creating a website for me for the past couple of days...! We said we would have it up by the end of this week-end. :salut

LOL!

And it's about plant-based eating, too! :bcb_bigsm

This is too cool ~

This is what happens when you get excited about something, and it works for you, huh? :bcb_bigsm

Guest sodacracker

Great minds think alike :bcb_wink3:bcb_bigsm

Will we be able to see your site? :bcb_smile

DD thinks it is funny I am so excited about having a blog, but I am!

No suggestions for a mushroom dish for me?! Help a tired sister out, GFs!! :bcb_bigsm

Soda- I checked out your blog! I was excited about the bean loaf until I saw the ingredients-- I'm allergic to oats. BTW- I found the Vega Whole Food Optimizer for $58 online (free shipping over $60 so next time I can get that and one of the whole food bars).

Kimberley

Guest sodacracker

I think quinoa flakes or milled barley or rice cereal would work. It is pretty adaptable.:salut

I saw gf oats but they were $10 a box!

Let us know what you think of the Vega.

I got DH to buy me some GF oats when he was in the US earlier this month. I had a horrible reaction to them so it's an oats thing, not just a gluten thing.

I'm looking forward to the Vega tomorrow. There is a sports drink as well to drink before high intensity exercise. I may consider it as there's one more week until my friend & I start training for our 25K trail race in October and then marathon training for the spring!!

Kimberley

Guest sodacracker
No suggestions for a mushroom dish for me?! Help a tired sister out, GFs!! :bcb_bigsm

Soda- I checked out your blog! I was excited about the bean loaf until I saw the ingredients-- I'm allergic to oats. BTW- I found the Vega Whole Food Optimizer for $58 online (free shipping over $60 so next time I can get that and one of the whole food bars).

Was it here ?

i don't like mushrooms so do not have any recipe ideas for you, sorry. :salut

Mushrooms fried in Earth Balance. With onions?...Over pasta?

Mushrooms in the Creamy Vegetable Curry? With potatoes? And other veggies?...

Mushrooms are sounding sooooo good to me right now! :bcb_smile

A buddy goes to work for the weekend....and this thread just keeps on going!

Have we decided what to name the September thread?

I am down 0.6 lbs this week. That makes -4.2 for the month! I'm happy!

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

A buddy goes to work for the weekend....and this thread just keeps on going!

Have we decided what to name the September thread?

I am down 0.6 lbs this week. That makes -4.2 for the month! I'm happy!

WOO-HOO, Donna! :bcb_grin

I think Soda's got it and is ready to post it. :salut

Man that Cashew Cream was rich...

I might have overdone the amount tonight.

...I made the pesto pasta recipe and it's in the fridge waiting for tomorrow. I used brown rice pasta and the pesto was made with a whole can of white kidney beans (hadn't had anything soaked in advance), basil, garlic, zucchini and lemon juice pureed together. I put in some organic baby spinach and chopped up some organic zucchini and cherry tomatoes as well. It's all marinating in the fridge and just thinking about it almost makes me hungry! ...

Kimberley, I do not know what brand of brown rice pasta you use but of all the brands I have tried I like Tinkyada brand. There head office is in Canada. This is their web page if you are interested: http://www.glutensolutions.com/index.asp I ordered from them at first but now I have a local health food store that carries that brand.

Judy S.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott

SW: 253.4/CW: 160/WWGW: 148/PGW: ?

The President's Exercise Challenge:

Going for the Bronze-achieved 7/4/2009

20,000 pts.-100%

Going for the Silver-21220 of 45,000 pts.-47%

Soda- Yup, that was the link. I'm interested in the Earth Balance bars as well. Did you buy yours from a chain health food store or an independent local one?

Judy- I buy Rizopia (it's Canadian made as well). It's not my favourite (it's the only brand I've bought so I don't know any different). I have some no name brown rice pasta from the bulk store to try next.

Carol- Thanks for the suggestions!

Gracie- :welcome:

Kimberley