Health Discovery Network
WWCarol

The Grand August Experiment

Guest sodacracker

Tuesday morning I will start the next thread and it will be called

Plant Based Eating - September Discussion Thread :salut

Soda, love your blog and Carol, I hope we can see your web site, how cool!!!! Kim, thanks so much for sharing the receipes for milk. You are all such a fountain of knowledge.

Got into China Study last night, so very interesting. I believe all of our lives are changing for the better and I am so excited about it.

I have a question. When one goes Vegan isn't there a combination of foods that you have to eat together to avoid health problems, etc.? Right now, I don't believe that I can be a total Vegan but who knows, this can be a gradual change. Judy:salut

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

Still not hungry this morning. I feel like I've been living the life of a meth freak since Saturday-- not sleeping and eating. And that's just from the caffeine in the homemade chocolate sorbet from Saturday afternoon. I can't even imagine what my brain/body would be like on "real" drugs. The last time I had a regular diet coke, I was also up for two days straight. That just goes to show how ultra-sensitive my body is to anything foreign. I'm hoping to get my sleep and feed back to normal at some point today. I'll bring a vega shake with me this morning as we head over to my parents' for a bit.

Judy- It's not so much a combination of foods *to* eat but more a list of foods *not* to eat. Just focus on having vegetables, fruits & grains as the majority of your food and tackle the rest when you can. I've been looking a lot into Brendan Brazier's "Thrive Diet" (he's a vegan Ironman athlete) and he really emphasizes ADDING not eliminating. Add in all the good healthy foods and the rest will naturally take care of itself. If you're full from veggies, beans & grains, you won't have as much room for meat, eggs & dairy. Even still, weaning off of processed food is *the* most important thing so focus there and take it one step at a time!

Carol- I've been meaning to ask you what you didn't like about the "Kick Start" program. I haven't read anything about it as I figured I'd read when it starts coming into my mailbox next week. Did you sign up for the Thrive in 30? I'm so glad Soda posted that link as it's really resonating with me. DH is reading The China Study & reporting back to me. There is a bit more emphasis on plant protein with Thrive but that's likely because of his focus as an athlete.

Kimberley

Kim, I so hope that your body has adjusted and you can get a good nights sleep.

Thanks for the good advice. Afer being such a meat eater I feel as if I am doing something wrong. This morning, not really hungry, just had some Cantelope.

I saw some Earth Balance spread. There were two kinds, one said soy(can't have) and the other said 60% vegtable oil. Is this the Vegan spread you were all talking about?? Judy

sw 169

cw 161.82

gw 158:jump_jack Judy

I got this e-mail, "One additional diet consideration may be useful for people with diabetes or pre diabetes. Choose foods that have a low glycemic index (or "low GI"), which means the foods that turn to sugar more slowly and cause less of a rise in blood sugar levels. Although you'll find various lists of the GI values of different foods, there are really only a few foods to be concerned about. Sugar, of course, has a high GI, as do white or wheat bread, most cold cereals, watermelon, pineapple, and baking potatoes. Foods to enjoy that have a low GI are pumpernickel, rye, multigrain or sourdough bread; old-fashioned oatmeal, bran cereals and Grape-Nuts; most fruits; sweet potatoes, pasta, rice, barley, couscous, beans, peas, lentils, and most vegetables.

I must be a McDougallite! :bcb_bigsm

I am not going to worry about glycemic index. I'm not going to worry about: (whole) wheat bread, SF cold cereals, watermelon, pineapple, and BAKING POTATOES. :bcb_wink3 Or any other fruits and vegetables. :salut We've been eating them and doing fine...

I really am happy with the amount of information I've gained so far. I'm separating the wheat-from-the-chaff (for myself) and for now I'm happy with the info that has resonated with me (which you all know is McDougall and Culmer) ~ :salut

I do not feel deprived AT ALL, the way I'm doing it. And I really don't want to ever feel deprived ~

Looks like it will be a couple of days, because DS and I are working together on this ~ :wave:

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

OT: Does anyone else have trouble with Dr McDougall's website?

Every single time I get onto his website, I have to re-boot my computer. DS-i-l says they have a java script problem. My computer acts possessed and the mouse bounces around and then it starts typing backwards. No joke!

I can read his newsletter emails fine as long as I don't click on any links.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

I haven't had a problem like that, Donna.

Did you see Dr. Culmer's blog today? New recipe. And I left a comment.:bcb_smile

His mom got a recipe from semi-homemade chef on GMA. "Pies" made with whole wheat tortillas and canned apple-pie filling.

He substituted organic canned pumpkin pie mix. And showed a picture.

I told DH, "If I die, go to his website. You can do his recipes. They are guy-recipes." :bcb_up Easy. Simple. Convenient. (Packaged and canned ingredients, and simple fresh ingredients)

Oooh, I loved your comment Carol! You know how I feel about sweet potatoes!! :bcb_up I can't do whole wheat tortillas and the only gluten-free ones I can find are corn tortillas (I'm trying to cut back on corn a bit more) but I'd break one out for that!!

In fact, I will roast the potatoes right now!

I had a granny smith apple for breakfast, the brown rice pasta w/veggies & bean pesto and a banana for lunch (I think it would work better with brown rice or quinoa than the pasta). Dinner is avocado sushi. Likely will have an apple for an afternoon snack. May wind up eating more if my hunger kicks in.

I'll try the shake tomorrow Soda!

Kimberley

I told DH, "If I die, go to his website. You can do his recipes. They are guy-recipes." :bcb_up Easy. Simple. Convenient. (Packaged and canned ingredients, and simple fresh ingredients)

Carol, :bcb_grin:bcb_grin

Plant Based Eating - September Discussion Thread :salut

Soda, for what it's worth, I like the title for next month! It fits nicely on the forum I think!!!! Not a different plan, just a way of DOING the plan (er, I mean technique):bcb_up. Also, visited your blog! Very nice AND I have some (cooked from dry) white beans I REALLY need to use up so I might try your loaf recipe, possible making it into stuffed zucchini though!

Donna, The only "trouble" I have with the McDougal site is that it seems a little too infomercial/stepford wives/cultish for me:bcb_wink3! Like, that thing about Bill Clinton seems a little over the top, for example, to me....Dr. Culmer is a lot more straightforward and doesn't seem as oriented toward...uh...marketing....

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Dr. Culmer isn't selling anything. :salut That's a Good Thing. :bcb_smile

And as far as the cultish, stepford-wives, feeling...I totally get that, Lynn. That's why I said I'm "Separating the wheat from the chaff". I'm going to wear leather shoes. I don't like reading scare-tactics regarding food or animals (in any way shape or form). Stridency can worry me.

I have a lot of things that I just skip over (on websites, articles, e-mails), fingers in ears, humming "LA-LA-LA-LA-LAH!" :bcb_smile

So I remember/follow the parts that resonate with me..."and with with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away"...:bcb_smile

You can, too~ :bcb_smile

(But have you seen BC lately?! :bcb_huh: He does look like he has suffered some kind of damage, sadly. :bcb_confu ) I just think McD is worried/scared about invasive/aggressive medical tecnniques being used on people, without them knowing the real (likely) consequences.)

I do agree with McD's tenet of conservative medical treatment.

But this is probably off-track.

Dr. Culmer isn't selling anything. :salut That's a Good Thing. :bcb_smile

AMEN to that.

And as far as the cultish, stepford-wives, feeling...I totally get that, Lynn.

(sigh of relief) I'm glad you "get that" Carol in at least two ways:bcb_wink3!!!!

I certainly haven't read as much as you have in the past month or so, but I have done some looking and reading and YES you definitely have to separate the wheat from the chaff!!! Which can be hard to do!

Lynn

Lynn, If you haven't read The China Study, you probably don't have the backstory for Dr. Culmer and Dr. McDougall's programs.

And Dr. McD has generously provided ALL the material a person needs to follow the maximum weight loss and non-maximum weight loss program for FREE. And there's about 600 FREE recipes available in the archived newsletters.

And there's free videos and podcasts that are informative.

A person doesn't need to spend a penny! :bcb_huh:

I bought a cookbook because I wanted to...I certainly had more than enough available on his website.

AND, all of his FREE diabetes articles gave DH and I the tools we needed to do this Grand August Experiment. His video lecture to "real" doctors (as a real doctor) was completely eye-opening for me.

Maybe take another look/read sometime ~ :bcb_smile

Guest sodacracker

I have a lot of things that I just skip over (on websites, articles, e-mails), fingers in ears, humming "LA-LA-LA-LA-LAH!" :bcb_smile

That image made me chuckle. :bcb_grin I can do that with all sorts of things I like to ignore!

(whipped cream sugar, butter, cookies, candies, white bread, ....LA-LA-LA-LA-La-LAH!)

I can't tell you how many times I do that with my kids (and DH)! LOL :bcb_grin

Seriously though, I guess I didn't get that vibe off the McDougall site. I haven't finished looking through the entire archives or really explored the site in detail so I'm not in the best position to judge. I actually think *a lot* about taking the cruise as it's so difficult for me to travel with all my allergies. I'd feel confident going there, knowing I'd just have to stay away from any wheat/gluten stuff but everything else would be freshly made and "safe". :bcb_up

I appreciate these sites being free, much like BCB is free too. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who feel like we're a bit of a cult as well!! :bcb_wink3 To each, their own.

The only thing I would say is that it bothers me when I read that he doesn't want to call himself a vegetarian because he thinks that's a pejorative term. You can say the same for "omnivores". Some vegetarians might live off potato chips and coke. Some omnivores might live off potato chips, coke and hamburgers!! LOL :bcb_grin So, call it like it is. Even if you eat one ounce of turkey every other year, you're still vegan if you follow the vegan diet 729/730 days!

Anyway, like Carol said, I don't go in for the judgement or the scare tactics and just try to look to the POSITIVE to be gleaned from everything I read. As Brendan from the Thrive Diet program always says, it's not so much about what you have to exclude but what you have to INCLUDE. So, I focus on what I am going to do, not what I'm not going to do and life just seems better that way! Which is not to say that any number of my including changes haven't been made because I feel that there are serious health risks with the stuff that I'm excluding. So, a slice of turkey at Thanksgiving or some roast at Sunday dinner isn't going to harm me occasionally but I just don't feel that some of these things are healthy on a daily basis. Besides, I have always had moral misgivings about eating meat and I actually hate to prepare and cook meat (which is why I made so many crockpot meals-- just stick it in and don't think about it). I enjoy my food preparation much more now because it feels more natural-- for me!!

Well, I'm finally starting to come down from the caffeine high from Saturday. My day turned out as predicted earlier. I had a sweet potato with chana, avocado & salsa "hummus" for an afternoon snack, avocado sushi & a peach for dinner and then we had some homemade soy ice cream with plums and blueberries for an evening snack. I actually made my Target today!! :crazy:

Like I said earlier, I'm *so* looking forward to having my Vega shake tomorrow. I'm off to listen to Lesson 8 of the Thrive in 30 program and research out the Thrive Sport drink!! :wave:

Kimberley

What???? US???? Cult-like?????:bcb_grin:bcb_grin

Why do you think it took me 31 days to, with fear and trepidation, make that statement????:bcb_grin

((((((((((((((((((((Lynn, a proud core "cult" zealot from the start.....))))))))))))))))))))

Lynn

Yeah, Lynn...You were saying "cult" like it was a BAD thing...:bcb_up:bcb_happy

:bcb_bigsm

I decided not to worry about the PB2. I had problems resisting it before. No sense buying some more that I will have trouble resisting. I'm doing just fine right now-no reason to make things hard for myself.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman