Health Discovery Network
SheriK

Runner's Thread - August

Happy Monday!

I went for a walk/run on Sat. It was a gorgeous day weather-wise - no humidity, mid 70s. The heel is still acting up, but I'm only running about 1-1.5 miles and it's enough to keep me happy.

Nick - nice pics!! You don't look too muddy.

Coach Jack - sorry about the job loss. Hope you find something soon. Good luck with your race tonight!!

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Correction: That race in 1995 was only a 3 miler. It was my best 5K since Oct 1994. That just makes it a bit more emphatic to say 15 years ago instead of merely 14.

And my weight is going down again. I hit a new low this morning but I won't get a weigh-in to celebrate. WW was one of the first things we decided to trim from the budget. I'll probably go back if I can find a job soon but until I do, it's a non-critical expense, ala Dave Ramsey.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Sorry about the job loss, Jack. That sucks. I hope you find something quickly!

No, not too muddy. It was all sand.

expmanpl.jpg

expman-2pl.jpg

I did 8.2 miles this morning, nice and slow. It's supposed to hit 102 today with a heat index of 112. I ran at 7 and it was blazing. I need to figure something out for the long run tomorrow.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Whoa, tough 5k tonight. I went from my best in 15 years on Sunday to my worst ever on Monday, 42:00. I had to walk half of it. The last time I ran this race was 1983 and now I remember why.

First of all, back to back races, bad idea. One of my rules of thumb has always been it takes about one day per mile raced to recover fully. I must have forgotten my thumbs this week.

Second, "European Style" cross country is another sport all together. A tricky term these sadists use is, it's a "technical course". Technical means, oh my god, you're gonna die. If anyone sidles up to you and asks if you want to go do a Technical European Style race, just say no thanks, I'm thinking of having my toenails plucked that day. Here's a clue, I have rope burns on my hands from climbing the cliff. That was after the water crossing and several slips in the mud and hills, hills, hills. Going down some of the trails was a matter of jumping directly at a tree and trying to catch hold of it, spin and carom down to the next one.

For some inexplicable reason however, it was a fun night. It was the cap stone of a very, very ambitious summer racing agenda. 10 track meets 4 5ks and an 8 miler in just 3 months. I have no other races planned for a few weeks so now it's time for some well deserved rest. Season over. I think I did just fine.

Hi Guys ,

been a a little while since I posted .

I have kept up my running , finally I got to do my first 10km , I did it in 58:42 I was happy with that and still gives me something to work for .

Padre looks like you had fun , good luck with your longer race coming up is it a marathon ? or half?

Jack you had a successful summer ,as usual you are a positive force in encouraging everyone else. Good wishes sent in finding another job ...tough times right now but you will come through .

Darlene sorry that the foot is still acting up ..

Kim I hear you are planning on a Marathon which one ?

have a good day

C.

Success is-being who you are,and feeling proud of yourself for every task and challenge that you face and conquer along the way.

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start.

She woke up one morning and threw away all her excuses.

It's just freaking hot out there today. We left at 8 and got in about 9.5 miles and then gathered the rest of the group and I did another 3 or so. It was about half way through this 3 that I knew I wasn't going to finish my 17 that I needed to for the day. I was starting to get into the dangerous heat area so I told the group I'd be done after 3.

12.5 for the day at about 9:15 average. The "feel like" temp right now is 100 even.

Running Log

Haven't gone out to run yet today and I didn't run yesterday but I do have something worthy of reporting. When I stepped on the scale this morning it said 199.6. That's the first time in almost 20 years that I've been under 200 lbs.

Good work Jack!

Ok, today at 9 am today my travels begin. I'll be on the road the rest of the month and I'm assuming I won't have time/internet ability to check in. I hope you all have a great rest of the month, keep running and have some fun!

Running Log

Congrats on the age group trophy. I've managed a couple of those this year too. It's always gratifying, PR or no.

You know how good snow would feel right now? I would go outside and roll in it. It was 94 in Albany today. The hottest day of the year so far. We have had a rather cool summer up until the past few days and we never got acclimated to hot.

My son and his GF are signed up for a 5k Tuesday night. They tried to talk me into doing it with them but I begged off. Who ever thought an evening start in August was a good idea? Not that I haven't done a few of those myself. Last Monday's cross country race was at 6:30 in the evening, but it dragged me down to a walking pace.

Happy Monday, all!

Jack, great job on getting below 200!

I went out for a run/walk Sunday morning before it got too hot. I ran for 21 min. and walked for 17 (warm-up and cooldown). Felt great, but my heel was a mess for the rest of the day.

Darlene

RESTART 8/25/2012

Hi there...I'm new to the runner's thread. I just signed up for my first half marathon. It's not until 5/22/2010. I ran a 5K before but haven't done a lot of running all summer. Does anyone know of a good plan for the half? There are so many online and I don't know how to choose the one for me...any suggestions will be appreciated!

Kim

weight.png

I used to run, about 5 years ago. I loved it too! I seem to not be able to get back to it. Not for a lack of trying! The first time, I walked for a while then gradually worked up to a run. I have been walking for months now and I still can't manage a run. My lower back and rump jiggle and it makes my skin itch like fire. I also get this raised irritation on my legs in the front and inner thigh and top of my lower back and it itches horribly. When I try to scratch, it feels like my skin was dipped in lava. It is very painful. What is that and how can I get past it? I would really like to get back into running.

This is embarassing but oh well!

Hi there...I'm new to the runner's thread. I just signed up for my first half marathon. It's not until 5/22/2010. I ran a 5K before but haven't done a lot of running all summer. Does anyone know of a good plan for the half? There are so many online and I don't know how to choose the one for me...any suggestions will be appreciated!

Just pick one, any one. They're all good. All you need to do is have a plan. It doesn't matter who's plan it is or the specifics as long as it builds endurance. Besides, you only need about 3-4 months.

I used to run, about 5 years ago. I loved it too! I seem to not be able to get back to it. Not for a lack of trying! The first time, I walked for a while then gradually worked up to a run. I have been walking for months now and I still can't manage a run. My lower back and rump jiggle and it makes my skin itch like fire. I also get this raised irritation on my legs in the front and inner thigh and top of my lower back and it itches horribly. When I try to scratch, it feels like my skin was dipped in lava. It is very painful. What is that and how can I get past it? I would really like to get back into running.

This is a tough one. One possibility is exercise induced hives.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/hives/a/exana.htm

It could also be a simple allergy to your laundry soap or fabric softener.

http://www.medicinenet.com/rash/article.htm

Thank you Jack. It's not soap because it ONLY Happens when I run or walk too fast. It does not happen on a bike, an elliptical, weights...or anything I do everyday. I thought perhaps it was brought on by the jiggle of my flesh. Also it stops once I am into a good routine say... a month after I start exercising. Weird huh. The difference is however, I can't seem to get it to NOT flare this time. This came on about 8 years ago. Before that, I did not have this problem.

The exercise-induced anaphylaxis seems like a logical guess. I would have to see a dermatologist to DX that but from what I read, it's mainly a food allergy that reeks havoc in your body when you eat it and then exercise. This happens to me whether I eat or not and I have no food allergies.

I will keep plugging along and working up. If not, I will work with what I have.

Tiff

I ran only 3 miles this morning, 3 agonizing miles. The low temp for the night was 75F and the dew point was even higher than that. I intended to do 6 but less than a mile into it I was sweating like a pig, so I cut it short. I don't know how you southerners do this all the time.

I ran only 3 miles this morning, 3 agonizing miles. The low temp for the night was 75F and the dew point was even higher than that. I intended to do 6 but less than a mile into it I was sweating like a pig, so I cut it short. I don't know how you southerners do this all the time.

I live in Houston, Texas. I had to stop exercising outside during the summer. I had become acclimated to the heat over the years but it has gotten worse, Last summer, I got caught about 4 miles from my car. I think I suffered a small heat stroke. My ears became compeletely clogged up, My breath was deafing. I walked slower and slower but my legs and feet felt like anvils. I was dizzy and my heart rate was WAY past max although I was walking at a snail pace. I drank my water but it did not help. I got back to the car, not really remembering how and was sick for a week after that. That was the last time I walked outside during the summer anytime after say.... 6am. The heat index reaches near 100 by late morning here.

I do all my exercise at the YMCA now. That incident really scared me bad. I was far from the car, in a wooded trail and no one was around. I don't know how I didn't pass out! Please be careful out in the heat.

Correction: That race in 1995 was only a 3 miler. It was my best 5K since Oct 1994. That just makes it a bit more emphatic to say 15 years ago instead of merely 14.

And my weight is going down again. I hit a new low this morning but I won't get a weigh-in to celebrate. WW was one of the first things we decided to trim from the budget. I'll probably go back if I can find a job soon but until I do, it's a non-critical expense, ala Dave Ramsey.

Been there Jack. Recently too. Hang on, everything ends up OK in the end. It always does!

Ran 8.2 miles this morning. The weather was a bit cooler but no less humid. I lost over 4 lbs on the run even though I was able to stop twice at a park where there's a water fountain. My shorts were soaked to the point of dripping down on my socks. Now that's a lot of sweat.

Have to take it easy tomorrow though. The whole family is gathering for our 40th anniversary. We grew up in a grungy little rust belt city on the low end of the totem pole, but we managed a pretty fair living for ourselves. Both got advanced degrees. Have four children, all grown up with successful careers of their own, 3 out of 4 with doctorates. Three grandchildren, all happy and healthy and we spoil the bejeepers out of them. It's a good life.

Happy anniversary, Jack! Enjoy your day!

Still dealing with heel issues. I'm running for about 17-22 min. when I do go out. I have a 5K at the end of Sept. I may have to walk part of it. This 5K is the very first one I ran last year - there's no way I can not participate, especially since the start and finish line is down the street from me.

Darlene

RESTART 8/25/2012

Hey running buddies! :wave:

I'm sorry I haven't checked in here much this summer. I had swine flu in May and my lungs still haven't recovered. I'm doing my best to get them to expand again!! I've kept up with my exercise-- a mesh of running, spinning, weight/interval classes, walks, bike rides and anything else.

I have to share my happy news of the day. My 10 year old daughter and I ran 5.5 miles this morning in 55 minutes (she had to stop 3 times for a quick stretch and water break). DH & our two boys did a shorter loop of 4 miles in the same time. DD & DS are preparing for x-country next month. I think they'll do well! :bcb_up

I've got some running goals for the upcoming year. DD & I are going to do the 5K "Run for the Cure" for breast cancer research on October 4th. On October 17th, a friend and I are going to do a 25K trial run (it makes me think about Jack-- BTW, I'm very sorry about your job). On Mother's Day 2010, a friend & I are going to run our first full-marathon!! (Thanks for asking Cassidy-- it's the Forest City Road Race in London, ON)

Nick- Loved the mud run shots!

Suzy- Congrats!!

Ally- Keep it up!!

Jack- Woo-Hoo on onederland!! Happy Belated Anniversary!

Darlene- Good to hear from you!

Tiff- I hope you can figure things out!

Kim- I like Jack Galloway's training plan.

Trudie- I either run where there is water or just suck it up and carry a bottle. I need to get a water belt/bottle for marathon training.

Has anyone heard from Clif or Liz?

Kimberley

Starting to put my plans together for the fall. I had a great summer and a couple weeks of down time, now it's a new training season.

I ran 9.3 miles this morning. That's 33.7 for the week, the biggest week yet this year. Now that all the short distance summer track races are behind me, I'm building the mileage base for longer fall races. I signed up for a 5K on Labor Day. I want to run well in that because it's one of the more competitive races in this area. I wouldn't expect to even be in the top 10 in my age group, but sometimes that's what you want in order to push yourself harder. Then over the next 3 mos I have a 5.6 mi, a 7.1 mi, a 9.3 mi and maybe a couple more 5 K's just for yucks.

Also, I'll be volunteering to work a race or two on some weekends. When you run a lot of events as I do, it's important to give something back to the community. Recall when you ran your last 5K how many people there were doing dumb chores like sign-in, traffic marshal, finish line, etc. We all need to be among those folks from time to time.

Also, I'll be volunteering to work a race or two on some weekends. When you run a lot of events as I do, it's important to give something back to the community. Recall when you ran your last 5K how many people there were doing dumb chores like sign-in, traffic marshal, finish line, etc. We all need to be among those folks from time to time.

Have built up to a long run to 7.5 miles and trying to build a base for longer races, have only done 5K and 5 mile races so far. I have volunteered at every race that I have not been able to run and have found that it is nice to watch my friends run in the longer races. Also worked at the duathalon and would like to be able to do that race next year but it is a 5k-12 mile bike race and then another 5K. I did a 12 mile bike race this year but am not in good enough shape to have done that race and run for 6.2 miles too. Good Luck on your race next weekend.

My sister is in training to do the 5K "Run for the Cure" for breast cancer in October and I'm her trainer. On Sunday, we did 2 miles of walking/running and then a 5 mile bike ride. Yesterday, we had a big family group doing some combination of running and walking. I got in 6 miles between going back and forth between the groups (mostly running).

And now I'm off to post my first run of September......

Kimberley