2 cups boiling water

8 ounces extra-lean ground beef or turkey

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 (14.5 ounce) can tomatoes Diced in Sauce

1 tablespoon splenda granular

1 teaspoon pizza or italian seasoning

1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese

3 slices reduced calorie italian or white bread, toasted and cut into 1 inch cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut tops from peppers. Discard seeds and membrane. Place peppers in large saucepan with the 2 cups boiling water. Cook on medium heat for 5 mintutes. Drain well. Meanwhile, in large skillet sprayed with cooking oil spray, brown meat and onion. Stir in the tomatoes diced in Sauce, splenda and pizza/italian seasoning. Add 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Mix well to combine. Fold in toast cubes. Evenly spoon a full 1/2 cup meat mixture into each pepper. Arrange peppers in an 8x8 inch baking dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese over top of each. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.

Each serving equals:

165 calories; 5 gm fat; 16 gm protein; 15 gm carbohydrate; 318 gm sodium; 228 gm calcium; 3 gm fiber

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

This looks good....think I'll try it w/whole grain bread, tho.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

"I am pieces of all the places I have been,
and the people I have loved......"

– Brooke Hampton

Your welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

Leesa

Leeza!

These are fantastic! I made just a few changes....used whole grain bread, added extra fennel seed (crushed) to the Italian spices, added mushrooms and just about 2 T black olives to the filling. Also used fire-roasted diced tomatoes and...what the heck...threw in about 2 T of Newman's Own Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic sauce just for a little extra seasoning. It was good enough to rub in my hair and ears!!! This is my new favorite recipe...again, thanks much!

Robin

Btw...changes--spread over 6 servings--don't amount to even a point so I'm counting these at 3.5 pts. ea.

– Brooke Hampton

The changes you made sound really yummy so I am thinking I will have to experiment some too! I liked them the old way but can imagine how good they will b by adding some of the ingredients you mentioned. Thanks for the ideas. Can't wait to try them the new way now.

Leesa

Since I am cooking for myself, I prepared and stuffed 3 peppers and froze the other half of the mixture for future use. The 3 peppers that I had stuffed did not hold up well in the fridge and their contents turned into a kind of distasteful watery mass. Sooooo......when I defrosted the frozen "pizza" filling, I chopped up 2 1/3 red peppers, sauteed them in some olive oil, then put the stuffing in the pan and made an unstuffed pizza pepper casserole out of it. DELISH! I will always prepare it this way in the future.

– Brooke Hampton