Health Discovery Network
Aphreal

I know this has been discussed (so sorry!) AP and Str training

I looked a couple pages in... but maybe someone needs a refresher so here I am asking.

All my times with WW I was a walker then a runner. Today, I am embarking on a new Journey, with weight training. I do full body, 3x a week in addition to my cardio and yoga. Ok so.... How do you calculate AP? I don't know if I could in good conscience peg it anything other than *light* but I am doing some good work with weights and don't really feel it's a light workout when I do 15 machines with some decent weight (20-120lbs). I do about 3 reps of 10 or on a slow day, 2 reps of 8-12

Thoughts?

Rest between sets? Are you working to failure or could you do more when you finish? Are you sore the next day?

I've always given myself 4 pts for weight training; I work pretty hard in the gym and usually to failure.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Padre, I do not rest between sets unless I am just having a hard day. Some, I can continue (abs, back) but some, when I get to the end, I just think my muscles are going to just burn right through my skin and I wonder if I can even do one more lift. I am never sore the next day. I have just added glutes to my routine and that machine really kicks my butt. It hurts. I go dizzy and out of breath.. I wonder if I am doing glutes or trapped in a torture device!!! I am tired of not being in shape.

Anyway, I have an arthritic shoulder so I have to be careful but I have poor upper body str anyway. Part of why I do upper body.

It takes about 40 mintues to do my routine and so far, I haven't counted it because I don't know how. It sounds like you pump a lot more iron than I do :) Maybe Ill just add a point to my cardio (which is 4).

By the way, I looked through your slide show, You have done a PHENOMENAL job!!! Very impressive.

When I work with weights, there's a lot of resting going on in between sets. I try to estimate a percentage of time I spend actually doing the exercises and count that time as high intensity. So, if I'm at the gym for 60 minutes and I figure 40% of the time is spent exercising, that's 24 minutes of high intensity. I may be shorting myself some points, but I'd rather underestimate than overestimate.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

According to the ON line Activity tracker from WW -

Weight Training; Universal Machine; Vigorous effort is 2 pts for 40 mins.

Not sure what type of equipment you are using as I use free weights and a bar bell-

Hope this helps- I usually don't bother recording my activity points as I know I cant eat them and loose..but that might just be me...

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

I figured it just easier to count 1 for weights. Not always going to get it just right so figured counting on the lower side is just safer. I do however squeeze every point out of my cardio that I can :)