Health Discovery Network
Sign in to follow this  
SPECIALKK

Mushroom Barley Soup

Mushroom Barley Soup

(From Better Homes and Gardens New Dieter's Cook Book)

5 ½ cups beef broth

2/3 cup quick-cooking barley

½ cup chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp dried basil, crushed

½ tsp Worchestershire sauce

1/8 tsp pepper

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

½ cup shredded carrot

2 tbsp cornstarch

2 tbsp water

1 tbsp snipped fresh parsley

In a large saucepan bring beef broth to boiling. Stir in barley, onion, garlic, basil, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or till barley is nearly tender. Stir in mushrooms and carrot. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes more.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and water; stir into saucepan. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 4 servings.

NI per serving. 179 calories, 8 g protein, 36 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 1090 mg sodium, 467 mg potassium.

Notes: I usually double this recipe and skip the cornstarch and water step - I don't think it is necessary - it is a very thick and hearty soup without that step. I have not been able to find quick cooking barley so I just use the regular and you just need to cook it till the barley is tender - about 30 minutes.

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.