Health Discovery Network
Aphreal

Talking about good shoes.. what's yer flavor?

I am a die hard Nike fan. I tried NB once and it ripped my feet to shreds. a couple of weeks after using them, I took them back and told them I could just not use them. I was not about to keep a pair of $100 shoes I couldn't use! So I traded them for a pair of nike and I never looked back. I LOVE my running shoes (use for all cardio). When I find mine on sale for say... $60... I buy them but unfortunately, that is not very often. I have tried on every brand of running shoe but there is something about each I don't like.. cept for Nike.

So which are your favs?

I don't run, but my favorite shoes for walking are Skechers! I just bought a new pair in a wide size and love them! I've tried NB too and they just don't fit my foot. I've also tried several others types of athletic shoes but Skechers seem to keep my feet from turning outward (as they tend to do), so they are super comfortable for me!:bcb_up

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I'm with Katie on this one... I love the Sketchers! They are just so light weight and comfortable.

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

I need a new pair BAD- but I am just not sure what to get. Money is tight but I am thinking I need to go to a runnig store and get help there.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

Guest TryingWW

I had the same problem with Nike that Aphreal had with NB. I found that Asics work for me when I run. If I'm just walking I like Addias.

For running, I like Asics, Ryka, Avia, or New Balance.

I use the same brands for walking, too.

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Granola, If you know which shoe you like and the right size, check out ebay? I don't know when they put athletic shoes on sale, like a particular time of year, but it would be something to look into. Once my shoes become mishappen, I have to replace them because my feet move oddly when I walk and it mishaps the shoes in about a years time. Almost like my outter foot slides out and shapes my shoe into a cresent moon shape. Weird huh!

Do you guys have a pair of running shoe and another athletic shoe? I find a good running shoe and use it for everything. I do this so when I want to run, I can (which isnt very often but I want a good shoe for that when I do)

I have running shoes and I track the miles on them very precisely. When my lower legs and knees begin to hurt I know it's time to replace them. When they are retired for running they then become my exercise shoes and my casual shoes. When they are retired from those duties they become my work around the house shoes and then finally my painting shoes.

My favorite brand shoes are asics. I've tried other brands but I haven't been able to beat the asics.

SW: 4/2/7- 339lbs

CW: 10/1/9- 194lbs--145 lbs LOST Slideshow

Running Log

Guest TryingWW

I rotate in a plan similar to Padre's. Mine start on the treadmill (so they aren't dirty) for about 150-200 miles, then outside running for another 200 or so miles. After that, they rotate the same as Padre.

Why use up the first 350-400 miles of "good" shoe cushioning for errands? I can understand wanting to run at anytime but it really doesn't take that long to change shoes. Besides, I rarely can run in what I would be doing errands or stuff around the house and need to change clothes anyway.

Why use up the first 350-400 miles of "good" shoe cushioning for errands? I can understand wanting to run at anytime but it really doesn't take that long to change shoes. Besides, I rarely can run in what I would be doing errands or stuff around the house and need to change clothes anyway.

Actually what I meant was, I use them for all cardio (treadmill, running, walking etc) everything=cardio workout. Not just running.

Honestly I don't like wearing shoes. when I go out... I wear .99 flipflops! :)

I practice "shoe segregation". My running shoes are top of the line NB and are quite expensive. As such, I use them *only* for running. I have spin shoes when I go to cycle class and even use them when I bike outside (though I don't have clips for my pedals yet!!). I have indoor shoes I take to the gym for cardio/weights classes. I have a pair of runners I use for walking outdoors. And I have my "fuzzy Crocs" to wear out and about (I do keep a pair of used runners for errands but if they're hurting my knees when I run, I find that they still hurt my knees to walk around, even if it's just around Costco!!).

So, it can get a bit confusing to remember which shoes to use for what occasion but I find that it does make it easier on my body. I get the most use possible out of my NB runners. I'm planning on running a marathon in the spring and I've never had an injury with this brand of shoe so I don't want to fix what ain't broke (even though these shoes break my bank as I go through 3 pairs a year!!). When it comes to aerobics classes, I have a pair of Adidas runners. For long distance walking, I have a pair of Nike Air Pegasus. I used to use Reebox for walking but I found that I was getting weird blisters.

Kimberley

Wow KimberlyW! You really sound like a shoe salesman!!!!...lol...So funny!

I've only got ONE pair of Nike shoes and I do everything in them! :bcb_grin

Lily:bcb_march

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Have you heard of barefoot running? :)

Lol that was me as a kid. I never wore shoes in or outdoors. Drove my mother batty. Might be why my feet move funny when I walk. (they bow out, but just the foot, Im not bowlegged)

Padree, thanks!! I often wondered about people who really think that shoes just get in the way....like me! http://runningbarefoot.org/

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Guest TryingWW

I was at Campmor (a camping/hiking store) and they had a flyer about two women that were speaking that night. They hiked the whole Appalachian Trail (Maine to Georgia) barefoot. Ouch. All I could think of was all the rocks I've hiked over on the AT.

I'm with Kimberely...different shoes for different activities!

I can imagine running barefoot- but I do most of my other inside workouts (weights, tae-bo, ect.) barefoot.

Staring at the Son,

Melody

weight.png

SW 175 CW 169 GW 145

"That I might have no fear...only faith; no guilt...only grace; no pride...only praise; and no claim...only Christ."

I've thought about giving barefoot running a try, but it would take a long time getting my feet used to the wear and tear! I can hardly walk around outside barefoot without cringing over pebbles and sticks and other yard shrapnel!

For running I wear Mizunos. I've tried Asics, but didn't care for them. After about 400 miles in my "runnning" shoes, they become my walking and other cardio shoes. The previous pair of other shoes become my work around the house/lawn shoes.

Check out holabirdsport.com. This is where I've bought most of my running shoes. You can get the previous model shoe very cheap if you know what you want!

Clif #125

SW 01/01/07 (235#) - LW 12/03/07 (165#) = 70# gone; CW = 171.6# (down 3.4 since 01/01)

"Some people go through life standing at the excuse counter. Get out of line. "

My Picture Show

I have ASICS Gel-2140. I LOVE them.

My DH has Mizunos and LOVES them.

I went to an actual running store and had them analyze my walk and they recommended stability shoes. My DH has more movement in his ankle and they recommended motion control shoes for him.

It was totally worth it to have my knees not hurt anymore.

Oh, plus my feet had grown half a size due to pregnancy. And that is no fair.

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

I got a pair of the "shape-up" skechers for christmas, something I never would have bought myself, but my dh got them for me and I LOVE them. I just wear them around the house, for walking and stuff. They are so light and spongy. I wear them a lot.

For running, I love my sauconys! I have had the excursions...and right now I have the pro-grid hurricanes. On the other hand, dh loves his asics.

Moe :salut

I wear Reebok Classics Leather for walking, order from efootwear.com, good prices. Years ago when I was running I wore Sauconys, and had bike shoes with the ridges on the bottom for biking. Interesting note; back then I lost a lot of weight and started running. Before I started running I had worn size 8 for years. After I got into the running my foot grew to size 9, had to get rid of ALL my size 8's, dress shoes, work shoes, everything.

Dandy

SW:340/CW:183.2/GW:130

It's not enough to want it, you have to want it enough.

weight.png

For walking, I wear NB. It's like they were made for my feet. I don't even try them on in the store -- just look at the size and head to the register.

I've only had one pair of serious running shoes so far. They're from Brooks, and they've worked pretty good.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png