Health Discovery Network
Aphreal

I have a question about heart rate and dangers

When I started my program with the Y, I had a trainer set me up on the FITLINXX program and gave me goals. One of which was heart rate. I was told my target range was 109-160. Of course the higher, the more beneficial. Ok well, when I do heavy incline on the treadmill (stage 15, I have to hold on or fall off lol) My heart rate is in the high 170's. I thought that was GOOD! Ya know.. the higher the better? My husband said he would keel over if that were him. Am I doing something wrong by pushing like that? Should I slow down and keep it in the say... 150's? I was always under the impression the higher the better but now I wonder if I couldn't potentially be hurting myself.

By the way, he has to bust butt to get his to 140. It's because he is in better shape than I am. I get out of breath going up stairs and I think that is why my HR goes so high when I am on the treadmill. Thoughts?

Aphreal, I had read recently that staying in a moderate range of intensity with cardio exercise is the best way to go, but I don't remember where I read that!! I did find this info, though, on Discovery Health:

http://health.discovery.com/national-body-challenge/interactives/tools/calculators/target-heart-rate.html

I've been exercising a little bit above the range that the calculator said I should be!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Here is a really good site that not only give you the numbers, but some information on what benefits can be gained at what levels.

http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp

There are a couple of tests to determine your maximum heart rate, but a lot of people take 220 minus your age as the maximum heart rate (MHR). But I think that the bottom of this page will give you a good general guideline for where you get the most benefit from what heart rate.

Good Luck!!

Claudia

SW 205.2 (7-28-05), 200.2 (6-18-09)

10% (2-2-06 & 10-1-09) Yes, twice now:headover:

CW 175.8 (10-22-09) :)

GW 160

------Practice like a champion today, and practice like a champion tomorrow, and soon you won't have to practice "like" a champion, but rather "as" a champion. :strong:

Here's another link on heart rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

Training intensity is based on some percentage of your maximum hear rate, say 70% for an easy workout, 80% for moderate intensity and 90% for high. That's like running a race or something. You can't train at 100% for very long, a few minutes perhaps.

The only question is, what is your HRmax? That article shows several formulae for calculating it. You already know you can push it close to 180, so assume 180 is your max and design your workouts from there.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Oh my gosh. Yes, I will be needing to make some adjustments. If I was really fit, 100% would be ok but I am so not that in shape. Not even close. I REALLY appreciate these links. Thank you guys.