Health Discovery Network
SurferGirl

Knee Pain

I have runners knee. My quads have atrophied. I have to work my quad strength back up and then I can run on the pavement. Then my quads will be strong enough to support my tendons and ligaments that hold my patella in place.

This is an old injury from salsa dancing. I went through months of physical therapy to fix it the last time. I should be good with walking and doing some strengthening exercises. I'll need to pick up some resistance bands.

So, I'm off running for awhile. I'll try some treadmill work, but I need to work on my leg strength. It's disappointing to say the least.

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

I have runners knee. ...

This is an old injury from salsa dancing.

You may need to be fitted for custom orthotics to correct any mechanical imbalance, otherwise it will keep on coming back. I remember reading a long time ago about a university medical study done on running injuries and their conclusion was... wait for it, the most accurate predictor of getting an injury is whether you ever had that injury before. Wow, I hope they spent that grant money wisely.

Jack Berkery, Latham, NY, Sexagenarian Extraordinaire

visit my artwork web site at www.MohawkView.com

Bunch of geniuses, for sure. :D

Were would I get those custom orthotics?

SurferGirl

Mom to baby Boy born 9/18/05

Mom to baby Boy born 5/8/09

SW (7/1/09): 168

CW (8/13/09): 166.5

GW: 145

Height 5'7

August goal: 8 pounds

168 - 166.5 - 160

surfergirl, my chiropractor fit me with custom orthotics. I imagine a podiatrist or orthopedic m.d. could also. Find out first if your insurance will cover, some plans don't. Mine did, thank goodness!

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

SurferGirl- I am sorry about your knee! I know it must be disappointing to begin something and have to stop because of an injury!

Take care of yourself and hopefully you can get that knee taken care of so you can come back and finish the C25K!

Good luck and post an update to let us know how things are going for you!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!