Health Discovery Network
mariaree20

fifty-nine year old abs

I HAVE LOST 33 LBS. I HAVE HAD KIND OF A HANGY STOMACH FOR A LONG TIME. SHOULD I CONTINUE TO TRY TO FIRM IT SOMEWHAT OR THINK OF A TUMMY TUCK, DUE TO MY AGE. I HAVE TONED SOMEWHAT ALREAD. I HAVE GONE FROM A SIZE 18-20 TO A SIZE 12. HELP!:bcb_happy:bcb_smile

You will prob get responses that are very strongly against surgery. However, not all bodies are able to recover from the elasticity having been ruined in the ab area. After 80lb weightloss and 4 children, years of trying to tone and shrink that skin... My only option to rid myself of a (rather large I might add) pannus was surgery and I did. I would do it again in a heart beat!! The elasticity in my abs were beyond ruined. The streachmarks were over and inch in width and covered my stomach. All that is gone now. :)

I've thought a lot about this subject over the years. My highest weight was 375, and now, at 238, I have lots of loose skin -- I'm 56. I know I have to wait til I lose to my goal weight to even think about surgery, but, in my case, I already get irritation & skin problems with all the loose skin I have now. So, whereas I used to think that tummy tucks were all about vanity, I don't feel that any longer. Of course, there's nothing wrong with wanting your body to look good, either! I'm already having to "fold" my stomach into my pants:bcb_grin so my decision would be more to be able to zip up without injury!!

So, I would find a Dr (or two) to discuss this with, and make the decision that you think is right for you. And, of course, continue your toning and firming efforts. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

Thank you for the info. What can you tell me about that type of surgery. Did you have your thighs and the backs of your arms done also. Is it expensive. Thanks again and god bless. Maria

Maria,

It is very expensive. I had to do a lot of back breaking repairs to my house (BY MYSELF!!) in order to refinance it. We had enough in the house for me to get enough out to pay for the procedure. I had a breast lift/reduction, Extended tuck (it almost wraps around) Muscle repair (muscles mid ab were seperated) and lipo of the outter thighs (thrown in for free). I also had a mon pubis lift as that area on my body was so sagged it covered my whole nether region!

My pannus also folded over onto my legs. You get sores and rashes, My breasts too because they laid on my stomach. The elasticity was absolutely ruined.

The procedure is hard. I will not lie. It is hard. I couldn't walk upright for a month, I was in excrutiating pain and on heavy pain medications for weeks. I had to have help, I couldn't bath by myself. I had drains for 2 weeks.

I would do it again in a minute. The time goes by fast, the scars fade... He removed 25lbs of skin, fluids and left over fat. I lost many dress sizes from the muscle repair. I can share photos if you would like.

My only real solid advice is to SERIOUSLY research any plastic surgeon you see. Do not go with a cosmetic surgeon... only a certified plastic surgeon.

My other advice is to not listen to anyone who tells you there is something wrong with wanting to tweek the massive improvements you've already made. NO ONE lives in your skin. No one else lives your life or deals with your issues. Only YOU! This is for YOU and if you want it, it is worth it. Kind of like loosing weight :) This is your cherry on that WW friendly sundae.

I have an awesome Plastic surgery support board. No one there would ever judge you for this. They are very supportive, all in the same boat and generally a great bunch o folk. I will share that with you if you like.

My final note is this... This is NOT NOT NOT NOT for weightloss. I would never suggest such a thing. I did this to remove excess after loosing weight. I am not at goal but I am close!