Health Discovery Network
Pandorra

Black Beans?

Are black beans called something else?

As in..red beans are also called Kidney beans.

Can you find them canned?

I swear, I have searched my grocery store over and over for a can of "Black Beans" but there is no such animal.

**Sharyn**

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!" ~ Jimmy Buffet

SW: 169

CW: 161

GW: 140

I've only seen them as Black Beans. I find them in the canned vegetables in some stores, in the Mexican section in others. They also sometimes are in the organic section. Usually I get them right with all of the other canned beans, garbanzo, cannellini, kidney, pinto, you-name-it. I hope you find them!!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

What kind of grocery store were you in? :bcb_confu (Frijol negro is another name.)

And what kind of beans DID they have?

I'd say black beans are the most common canned bean at Winco, Safeway, Albertson's and Safeway. :salut Along with garbanzo and pinto and kidney.

They even have low-sodium alternatives. :salut

Did they have 1-lb. bags of dried black beans?...

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

I find black beans canned or dry in just about any grocery store. And they are just called black beans (or it's in Spanish).

There are places (like the south) where I cannot find chickpeas/garbanzos dry....and for some reason you can only find cannellini beans in cans...don't get why...

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Sharyn, to add to your confusion :bcb_grin...about the red beans:

From WiseGeek:

Several different beans are referred to as red beans, which can sometimes become a bit confusing. In the West, common beans with a naturally red shell such as
kidney beans
and Honduran red beans are known as “red beans” collectively. In Asia, azuki beans are called “red beans,” and the
red rice
bean is also sometimes known as a “red bean,” or “small red bean.” All of these beans have very similar nutritional properties, so it's hardly the end of the world if they get
confused

I have dried red beans and also dried kidney beans in my cabinet, so I was a little confused about kidney beans being called red beans--thanks for your question because now I know the above too!

Now, about black beans: I found this site that gives you other names for black beans, that might help you (I'm also going to bookmark this site because it looks really interesting!):

http://www.beanbible.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=23&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

great site! thanks !

Some people dream of success.....Others wake up and work hard at it.

182/165/152

It's just so hard to believe that a grocery store doesn't have black beans...!:bcb_huh:

The ones I've seen in cans are labeled Black Beans or Frijoles Negros. I have sometimes seen the dried ones labeled as Turtle Beans.

There have been occasions in my grocery store, where I have just overlooked them (and I've bought them there before), and been convinced that they stopped carrying them!

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

The last time I was at the grocery store (last week) I looked at almost every can in the canned bean section. There were kidney, garbanzo, and others that I can't think of at the moment, but there was nothing there marked "black beans".

That's why I was thinking maybe they had a double secret name.

I'll look again, maybe I have lurkers in my town that cleaned out the black bean supply in my grocery store due to this thread.

**Sharyn**

If it were my DH I'd KNOW he just missed them...:bcb_up He never asks. And when I go with him and show him, he'll say, "Well nobody would ever look HERE..."

He thinks things should be in "logical" places (like where he would look!:bcb_grin).

Please keep us informed on your continuing saga, Sharyn...:salut:bcb_smile

To Be Continued (:bcb_up_

Guest TryingWW

I'd be very surprised if they aren't there, especially in Florida. Even when I'm in small stores, they have black beans. They don't always have other kinds but they always have black.

It's quite possible I stared right at them and missed them anyway.

I'll try again this week :)

**Sharyn**

For some reason, I usually find them on the top shelf!

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I found like 400 varieties, this time. I must've been looking in the bread aisle or something last time.

I stood there, with a can of them in my hand, thinking, great, what do I do with these?

So I put them back until I have something to use them for.

least I know they are there :)

**Sharyn**

I found like 400 varieties, this time. I must've been looking in the bread aisle or something last time.

I stood there, with a can of them in my hand, thinking, great, what do I do with these?

So I put them back until I have something to use them for.

least I know they are there :)

You EAT them!.............:bcb_grin:bcb_up

I highly recommend my Barley and Black Bean salad... :bcb_smile

I highly recommend my Barley and Black Bean salad... :bcb_smile

LOLOL now I have to find BARLEY! Can I use quinoa? I have some of that

I am grocery store challenged!

**Sharyn**

My "rule" is I always make the recipe as-written, first. THEN I make variations and adjustments.

(Based on my high school friend who had LOVED my mom's 3-cans-of-soup recipe. Hers turned out horrible...:bcb_yuck: Me: "How could it turn out horrible?" She: "I don't know! Well, I didn't have the Cream Of Mushroom so I substituted Tomato Rice, and I didn't have the..."

You get the picture...:bcb_up:bcb_grin )

I would say the quinoa would not be be substantial enough for the salad. You need something big and chewy, like barley. :salut

I am grocery store challenged!

I had to read this thread and laugh - if you live in Central Florida, you can buy Publix-branded black beans...and they are just fine!

We add them to all kinds of cold grain salads...

Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot

SW 196.2 - 7/3/6

WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!

CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!

Lifetime - 2/12/7

My Chart Before & After

Simul justus et peccator

I use them in chili and also in salads, soup too.

Lynn

I did check the bulk food bins at Winco, where they are called Black Turtle Beans. Of course, they still have black beans in the bean/rice aisle, and canned beans of every variety.

Pearled barley is in the bulk food aisle, and in the regular grain aisle. I prefer the hulled barley (thanks to Carol for telling us about it) but can only find it at Raley's/BelAir in their bulk food aisle.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Guest TryingWW

Pandora,

You should have thrown them in your cart! If you like beans, you will like black beans. Add them to your diet s*l*o*w*l*y if you aren't use to eating them on a regular basis. Glad you found them.

This is always what I want to say when people ask what you do with ____ (bulgur, wheat berries, etc.)....Especially since I LOVE most of these foods, even PLAIN!

Lynn

Pandora,

You should have thrown them in your cart! If you like beans, you will like black beans. Add them to your diet s*l*o*w*l*y if you aren't use to eating them on a regular basis. Glad you found them.

Actually, I don't LIKE beans, but I"m trying to gradually ease them into my diet and learn to like them. The only bean dish I really like is refried beans, and I don't even know what kind of bean that is.

I have a bean and pasta casserole in the oven at the moment. It called for 2 cans of Kidney beans but I put 1 in, instead, like you said, a little at a time.

I'd need a black bean recipe where the taste of the beans would be..subtle. Im not sure I could do a cold salad right from the start.

**Sharyn**