Health Discovery Network
Aphreal

How to handle inability to exercise due to surgery

I am having surgery next friday. (sigh) This is going to jack my *flow* regarding my exercise. I won't be able to lift weights for a couple of months. I won't be able to do cardio for probably 6 weeks. I am thinking the only thing I can manage is a sloooooow stroll that won't get me sweating (can't do that either due to incisions). What really gets me is I can't do yoga!!!!! I have no clue how long it will be before I can go back to that.

Will the stroll even do any good? I am afraid if I don't do something, the *break* will be my undoing. I am not the type of person who can take a break. When I do, I won't get back to it.

So if your unable to lift or do cardio, what in the world do you DO!?

I am so sorry I am full of questions. It just has been hard to get into this groove and I don't want to loose it. I am really serious about this, It's nearly bringing me to tears.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going to be inactive for a time. I know the thoughts and fears that you must be facing. You have worked hard to get where you are. It's not easy to face an obstacle that will keep you from staying on track with your routine.

I have not been where you are with this surgery, but I feel strongly that if you keep your mind in tune with the routine, you will not lose too much ground mentally. It should be easier to get back to where you are right now, than when you started out the first time. After all, more than half of the battle is mental and just getting ourselves to the field. Once we are there, it is much easier to work out.

Maybe set aside some time each day to just think thru the routine. Maybe flex and contract some of those major muscle groups to keep them from forgetting that they need to be strong.

Here's a big :bcb_bravo for thinking it through ahead of time. I'll bet it won't be long before you're kicking us all in the behind again.

Claudia

SW 205.2 (7-28-05), 200.2 (6-18-09)

10% (2-2-06 & 10-1-09) Yes, twice now:headover:

CW 175.8 (10-22-09) :)

GW 160

------Practice like a champion today, and practice like a champion tomorrow, and soon you won't have to practice "like" a champion, but rather "as" a champion. :strong:

Thank you Claudia. I also found out that at they Y, they have silver sneakers (Sr. workouts) and joint friendly workout along with sitdown workouts. I think I might be able to manage that. I am definatly going to look into it just to keep my routine.

xox

Aphreal- Sorry to hear that you are going to be having surgery. I know that it is said that any activity is better than nothing and all activity counts! So, a stroll would most definitely do you some good. More good than just sitting around not doing anything!

I think it is amazing that you would even be thinking of how you can get some activity in and you haven't even had your surgery yet! That shows that you really do care about your health and I am sure you won't be kept still for very long.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you come along!

Leesa

HW: 259.6

CW: 161.6

Mini GW: 199.0 met 1/25/08

Next GW: 175 met 5/26/08

Next GW: 150

Inch by inch, it's a cinch!

One of my favorite quotes:

"It takes 6 months to get into shape, and two weeks to get out of shape.

Once you know this you can stop being angry about other things in life and only be angry about this."

-Rita Rudner, comedienne

:bcb_bigsm:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

BTDT. I know how you feel. First and foremost, your healing and recuperation should be your priority. Try to find something you can do while recuperating to make you feel like you're doing something. If it's a stroll to the corner of your street, then so be it. That's what you do. If it feels okay, then walk two blocks.

Good luck!!

Darlene

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest. ~ unknown

RESTART 8/25/2012

Don't worry about exercise during your recovery. The object is to heal fully and avoid infections. Don't do anything that is going to interfere with your body's ability to heal. Don't be in a hurry to resume your active lifestyle. The exercise will still be there when you're ready to resume. As far as eating goes, I'd say you should figure your menu should account for the lack of activity points. You might not even want to be on points at all. I'd discuss it with your surgeon -- mention you're on WW and you want to know what your caloric intake should be during your recovery.

flex_really_tiny.jpg FLEX since 8/21/07 | MO Platoon member #11 | See my slideshow

weight.png

Don't worry about exercise during your recovery. The object is to heal fully and avoid infections. Don't do anything that is going to interfere with your body's ability to heal. Don't be in a hurry to resume your active lifestyle. The exercise will still be there when you're ready to resume. As far as eating goes, I'd say you should figure your menu should account for the lack of activity points. You might not even want to be on points at all. I'd discuss it with your surgeon -- mention you're on WW and you want to know what your caloric intake should be during your recovery.

That is fantastic advice. This surgery is to revise issues from 2 surgeries I had last year. I lost a Lot of weight because I slept most of the time, I didn't eat, I didn't exercise. I lost all my tone, I was out of my walking routine.. I was a mess. That was 9 months ago and only 3 months ago, I got back into it.

Never the less, this is not nearly as invasive as those procedures, Being I have had these areas cut before though, I know what my limits are. I think my surgeon has ties with a nutritionist that works in his building. Hmmmm I might ask to talk to him!

Thank you BB. We only get one chance to heal and part of why I am having to have revision surgery I think was because I pushed the limits too fast after the original surgeries. Surgeon says no, but I wonder. I just feel SO lazy laying around in bed all day for days on end!

Whew... I am used to eating 5-6 ap a day lol.. Better forgo the caramel dip and eat just the apple!

One of my favorite quotes:

"It takes 6 months to get into shape, and two weeks to get out of shape.

Once you know this you can stop being angry about other things in life and only be angry about this."

-Rita Rudner, comedienne

:bcb_bigsm:salut

That may be, but notice that "Rita" doesn't say anything about getting back into shape, only about how quickly it is to get "out of the habit".

And . . I know that if it takes 6 months to get "into" shape to start with, you certainly are not at that same place after the two weeks to get "out of" shape. Regression simply does not work that way with physical conditioning.

And . . . . I totally agree with Blackbeard. He makes some wonderful points there. It is YOUR HEALTH that is your main concern.

Overall, BEST WISHES !!!

Claudia

SW 205.2 (7-28-05), 200.2 (6-18-09)

10% (2-2-06 & 10-1-09) Yes, twice now:headover:

CW 175.8 (10-22-09) :)

GW 160

------Practice like a champion today, and practice like a champion tomorrow, and soon you won't have to practice "like" a champion, but rather "as" a champion. :strong:

That may be, but notice that "Rita" doesn't say anything about getting back into shape, only about how quickly it is to get "out of the habit".

And . . I know that if it takes 6 months to get "into" shape to start with, you certainly are not at that same place after the two weeks to get "out of" shape. Regression simply does not work that way with physical conditioning.

And . . . . I totally agree with Blackbeard. He makes some wonderful points there. It is YOUR HEALTH that is your main concern.

Overall, BEST WISHES !!!

Thank you for that! I wanted to say something but unsure exactly how the comment fit into my current situation. I'm not able to exercise for a while due to a medical reason, I am not giving it up by choice and I'm not angry about the situation. It IS a inconvenience and I AM bothered but.. I am trying to plan ahead and I will probably need a kick in the rump later on to get me back into the saddle.

Cheers buddies:bcbkickbu

Have you asked your surgeon his/her advice? If strolling is ok, and you are up to it, then you might work in a stroll at the time that you would normally work out [eg, first thing in the morning, or after dinner...whatever is your routine] just so you maintain the rhythm of your normal day.

But, your health is your first priority -- get well soon! And follow doctor's orders! :wave:

Today is my day! I am going to do an experiment at the request of my yoga instructor. While recovering, I will mentally invision my yoga routine, everyday. mental or otherwise, we want to know if it has benefits :). There was a study that folk in the hospital who did this showed benefits from it and it helped them heal. Even if it's *all in your mind* I can see how it would have positive benefit.

I will ask him today when I can start walking again. I am due at 12 for surgery. You guys have an active, healthy day!