Health Discovery Network
Guest sodacracker

Sample vegan menu on Simply Filling plus the Great 8

Guest sodacracker

This is pretty much what I have been eating for three weeks now and wow! I feel grrrreat :bcb_bigsm. Not an ethical decision, more an interest in experimenting with different foods, changing up my family menu's, focusing on maximizing the high fiber low fat foods of Simply Filling and totally enjoying it. Not every-one's cup of tea, but I am glad I tried it. As a Lifetimer getting back to goal it has revitalized my enthusiasm for taking care of myself.

Breakfast: oatmeal and blueberries and soy milk (Grain, fruit, Dairy)

snack: vegetables dipped in mashed beans with salsa ( F/V)

Lunch: any grain (not rice) + any bean + any vegetable + 1 tsp oil, some fruit (F/V,Grain, Protein)

Dinner: Potato or Whole Wheat Pasta or Rice + any vegetables, beans, soy cheese, tofu, tempeh + 1 tsp oil .(F/V,Grain, Protein)

Snack: Soy milk and Shredded Wheat + fruit (Dairy, F/V, Whole grain)

Thanks for sharing this Soda!!!:salut:bcb_smile

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Hi Soda!

Looks really good and happens to be pretty much my menu! Other than the evening snack which I usually have as fruit or soy yogurt or tea.

I think it is the healthiest way to go! I have been veggie/ close to vegan for most of my adult life, so when I started WW years ago, I stayed with this and just learned to count points. When I got sick of that, I went to SF and have been very content and back at goal almost!

Cheers!

weight.png

weight.png

I am afraid of tofu. Bought it once and just had no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Also, is it "soy" tasting. I can't drink soy milk. Ughhhhhhh.

But I have tried the soy cheese and would be willing to try the tofu.

Teg

Soda-Thanks for posting this. I plan to do the same type of thing for the month of September. Write out a simple plan like this (Five lines-what could be better ??) And stick to it.

I am eating seafood and chicken,and we use skim milk and eggs, but have definitely incorporated more veggies,beans and grains into my meals,making them the main part.

It gets pretty busy around here once homeschool starts, so knowing that lunch is just going to be grain/bean/ veggie, or whatever, is so helpful.

Very Do-ABLE !!!

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

Guest sodacracker

I forgot to mention that in the past three weeks I have also used all my weekly WPA's for things like whole wheat tortillas, or sprouted grain ones, nuts, peanut butter, sugar, or non Simply Filling Cold Cereals (we have a heritage grain one that I like but is not on the list), and for a green supplement that is 2 points per serving.

re: tofu - I prefer the extra firm. I made this last night and did not freeze the tofu as described and it worked out fine. I reduced the curry powder by 1/2 to suit my family ( DH adds his own hot sauces to things). Also we do not use a lot of tofu per meal. I doubled that recipe and still only uses one block of firm tofu.

Another delicious one is to buy soft tofu in the aseptic packing. Use your hand blender to mix in some vanilla and sweetener of choice ( we used 4 tablespoons sugar) and blend. Makes a sweet, creamy, protein packed topping for fruit.

Thanks for sharing Soda!

I'm gluten-free so anything with wheat, barley & rye is off limits to me. I'm also allergic to oats & amaranth. That means my grain choices are very limited (millet, teff, rice & buckwheat) and my WPAs are normally used on things like rice if I've already had a potato or corn tortilla chips or sweetener in my homemade ice cream (I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners) or Earth Balance vegan spread on air popped popcorn, etc.

My journal tends to look like:

Breakfast: steamed millet with soy milk & fruit-- if I don't make millet, I'll make teff or buckwheat or I have gluten-free corn meal cereal (from Nature's Path)

Snack: piece of fruit and/or raw veggies, sometimes with almond butter (allergic to peanuts)

Lunch: usually a baked (sweet) potato with some kind of bean spread (hummus, bean/avocado/salsa, etc) or homemade bean & veggie soup

Snack: sometimes air popped popcorn, or homemade fruit sorbet/soy milk & fruit ice cream, other times fruit or veggies

Dinner: veggie stir-fry w/rice; polenta pizza w/roasted veggies; brown rice pasta w/marinara sauce & veggies, veggie curry w/rice, etc.

Teg- I don't use tofu that often because I have soy milk most days. I'm going to try to roast it. I will put it in miso soup with veggies (seaweed, mushrooms, bean sprouts), or veggie stir-fry. I've got Soda's recipe ear-marked as well!

Kimberley

If anybuddy's really feeling challenged by this, I'd suggest looking at drculmer.com

He's a guy. :bcb_smile He's totally into and excited by eating plant-based.

I don't think you could find meals (and meal ideas) any simpler than his. :salut

Very convenient and practical.:salut

May you be happy. May you be well. May you be free from suffering.

Check out my website! Plant-Powered.com :bcb_smile

The fat you eat is that fat you wear.

I am reading thedrculmer.com site right now.

Dairy - how do you go without it??? Really. Milk. Yogurt??? How do you do it??

Teg

Ok, you really eat beans twice a day?

Really?

Aren't you having nightmares about BEANS?

I know, everyone is different. I know, maybe I need to just try something like this to see how I do. Or try a few days a week - but beans 2x a day???

Was it at all difficult to get used to?

Clearly, I am intrigued.

141/138/123

Teg

Teg- I'm allergic to dairy so it's a non-issue for me! I use soy milk with my hot/cold cereals in the morning. It's calcium fortified. You can get soy yogurt as well. But you actually get more calcium from eating dark, leafy greens than you do dairy products!!

Even though soy cheese is a Core/SiFi item, I don't eat it because they make it with modified corn starch (the process they use to modify the corn starch makes it a form of MSG-- to which I am very allergic). Carol posted a tofu "ricotta" cheese recipe on the Grand August Experiment thread. I've used it as a "cheese spread" on polenta pizza. There are also a lot of tofu recipes to make "dairy" products-- tofu mayonnaise, tofu sour cream, tofu butter, tofu cream cheese. I'm trying not to use too much soy because of the phytoestrogens and feel that I get enough with my soy milk most mornings so I aim to not have any other soy products more than a couple of times a week.

Instead, you can make spreads with beans (hummus, bean dips, etc) that can take the place of some things you'd make with cheese.

In the beginning, giving up cheese was the hardest thing for me. For the first couple of weeks switching to the vegan diet, I actually still had an ounce of "real" cheese a few times a week. I wasn't ready to give it up. But once I got into a rhythm with things, it hasn't been an issue. I know that I *can" have meat, eggs or cheese if I really need to have it but the need hasn't struck for the past couple of weeks. I'm sure that I'll break down and have something at some point but I'm not sweating it on a day to day basis.

That's where Dr. Culmer's "2 for 2" (2 vegan meals a day for 2 weeks) comes in handy as it allows you to start making the change without having to go fully in. By the end of the 2 week period, you might find the idea of completely giving up animal products much easier to handle!

---EDIT---

I just saw your other post. I don't have beans twice a day. I have beans around once a day-- sometimes in a bean salad, sometimes ground into chickpea burgers or a hummus/spread, or refried beans, etc. Like I posted above, it's generally a hot (or cold) cereal for breakfast with soy milk & fruit, lunch is generally a baked potato (usually sweet potato) with a bean spread or just salsa. Dinner is grains & veggies (stir fry with rice, curry with rice, brown rice pasta w/tomato & veggie sauce, perhaps lentil or bean burgers, veggie soup with beans, etc). As the weather warms up, I'll likely make some veggie stews with cornmeal dumplings and bean & veggie chiles, etc.

Kimberley

The fat you eat is that fat you wear.

I am reading thedrculmer.com site right now.

Dairy - how do you go without it??? Really. Milk. Yogurt??? How do you do it??

I love SILK Original soymilk in my tea. I'm not eating things that "require" milk (cookies, cold cereal). :salut

At first I didn't know how I was going to exist without my yogurt/cottage cheese/fruit mixture. But (for me) it wasn't working. My goal was weight loss.:salut

Soy yogurt was not a good substitute (for me :bcb_yuck: ); I do like it in smoothies, though.

I don't miss it. I actually like having room in the fridge without those bulky items. :bcb_bigsm

So breakfast for me, usually, is: oatmeal, blueberries, 1 TBS. maple syrup and cinammon.

Ok, you really eat beans twice a day?

Really?

Aren't you having nightmares about BEANS?

I know, everyone is different. I know, maybe I need to just try something like this to see how I do. Or try a few days a week - but beans 2x a day???

Was it at all difficult to get used to?

Clearly, I am intrigued.

141/138/123

I don't eat beans twice a day. Did Dr. Culmer say that? I didn't get the memo...:bcb_up Dr. McDougall emphasizes starch: potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, corn and grains.

If you say, "Eat beans", it can sound boring. But if you say, "You get to eat HUMMUS every day?!" I'd be behind that! :bcb_grin

I've been reading (The China Study, drculmer.com, and drmcdougall.com) and then I pick and choose what's sounds right for me.

I'm more likely to have bulgar AND beans (or a potato and beans), than just beans. Plus veggies and seasonings and toppings.

Lunch right now: micro'd fingerling potatoes, diced; black-eyed peas, Toby's tofu pate, LOTS of salsa, chopped cukes and fresh tomato and chopped green olives with pimento on top. VERY tasty!

Yeah, try the 2 for 2 like Kimberley suggested. 2 meals for 2 weeks.

Oatmeal for breakfast, and beans/rice for lunch. That's IT. :bcb_smile

Guest sodacracker
OK, you really eat beans twice a day?

Yes, lots of day, but it is not just a plate with a pile of beans at one end, a pile of vegetables, a pile of grains. It is usually a casserole, slow cooker meal etc. I might layer beans, grains, cooked vegetables and put tamari sauce on top or some other fat free dressing and give it a shake in the lunchroom at work.

The reason I like beans is that combined with grains they are a complete protein.

And remember , you do not have to eat this way, If you like the foods you usually eat and are happy with them there is no need to change anything except focusing on Simply Filling Foods that you like and eating to satisfaction .

I love eating this way. I have been eating two or more plant base meals a day for a long time and do not miss meat or dairy. I have been moving towards this way of eating for the past few years, and the step of taking out dairy and animal protein was very easy.

If you find the ideas here too far off your eating preferences, but are interested in trying something new, then pick one meal and make it plant based. If you really do not like it, then stick to the foods you know and love.

Yes, lots of day, but it is not just a plate with a pile of beans at one end, a pile of vegetables, a pile of grains. It is usually a casserole, slow cooker meal etc. I might layer beans, grains, cooked vegetables and put tamari sauce on top or some other fat free dressing and give it a shake in the lunchroom at work.

The reason I like beans is that combined with grains they are a complete protein.

And remember , you do not have to eat this way, If you like the foods you usually eat and are happy with them there is no need to change anything except focusing on Simply Filling Foods that you like and eating to satisfaction .

I love eating this way. I have been eating two or more plant base meals a day for a long time and do not miss meat or dairy. I have been moving towards this way of eating for the past few years, and the step of taking out dairy and animal protein was very easy.

If you find the ideas here too far off your eating preferences, but are interested in trying something new, then pick one meal and make it plant based. IF you really do not like it, then stick to the foods you know and love.

I totally agree! :bcb_bigsm:salut

If you find the ideas here too far off your eating preferences, but are interested in trying something new, then pick one meal and make it plant based. IF you really do not like it, then stick to the foods you know and love.

Teg, what have you been eating? It might help us help you.

Soda said this all so well I just had to "repeat it" for her:bcb_wink3:bcb_smile!

Teg, I'm getting the impression that, eating beans two times a day seems like a big jump for you:bcb_wink3! You don't have to do that unless you want to! I know it might be a little confusing with the discussion of the McDougal/vegan/Culmer stuff along with the Simply Filling stuff. You CAN do both (i.e., be vegan and following Simply Filling) but you don't HAVE to...many of us (me included) are very successful "just" following Simply Filling...so do what works for you and possibly that might evolve into something different over time. The most important thing is that you ENJOY the way you are doing the plan!

FYI, I am sure there are many days I eat beans twice a day and I'm not vegan....but it still happens!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Guest sodacracker

Soda said this all so well I just had to "repeat it" for her:bcb_wink3:bcb_smile! !

:bcb_grin :bcb_grin

I think Dr Culmer says to eat beans every day, not eat beans twice a day.

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Yes, I just rechecked his website.

Check out drculmer.com

Donna

SW 310

GOAL 12/4/07

Proud to a Vegan WW.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan

"Well, it seems to be working for me." Dr Michael Culmer

"Nuts are in hard shells for reasons." Dr John McDougall

"The salad IS the main course." Dr Joel Fuhrman

Guest sodacracker

There are no rules on beans other than the recommendation to have some every day. That could mean many times a day, or once. Completely up to your meal planning.

Yesterday DD made a pasta dish that had cooked asperagus stalks pureed with some white beans, garlic and basil to make a pesto like sauce.

There were beans in one of my grain dishes, there are always beans mixed in with my sauteed vegetable mixes. I don't even think about it, I just add beans to a lot of main dishes, or put a few handfuls of lentils in the slow cooker with a bottle of pasta sauce and fill the jar once more with water to add to the cooker, set it on low, easy lentil soup.

Guest sodacracker

btw, when I started eating this way years ago I used canned beans and still do but have started using the pressure cooker to make a lot of beans and then freezing them in 2 cup portions.

Soda- Would you (and DD) be willing to share that recipe! I made the tofu pesto that Carol posted last week but I'm really looking for a bean pesto sauce recipe!!

BTW- I toss lentils into my soup for bulk as well!

Kimberley

Beans/lentils slow the emptying of your stomach, which means you feel "full" longer...

That's why they are a Filling Food, I'm sure. :salut:bcb_bigsm

(Drinking liquid with a meal quickens the emptying of the stomach; so you might want to drink before or after instead.)

I'm learning lots of cool stuff...:bcb_smile

I think when people hear "eat beans everyday," they're thinking about a sitting down to a bowl of just plain ol' kinda-boring-looking pinto beans. There are literally hundreds of types of beans, and thousands of recipes using them in different ways/forms, where you can NEVER get bored of them!! That's just my opinion! :bcb_smile

---Katie, CEO of Me, Inc & living my new-normal

highest:375(fall '98),5'4"//11-19-08 WW restart:277//current:247//2nd 10%:225//NEXT MINI GOAL:239//goal:150

*He leadeth me.

I had a vegan "GOAL" burrito from a veg restaurant and it was wonderful.

Soft whole wheat wrap, pintos cooked til they were creamy (and FULL of flavor) with a spicy tomato topping and lettuce/tomatoes.

It was SO good. Filling. Delicious. I'd like to eat them all the time, like that ~ :salut

I agree, Katie. BEANS ARE BEAUTIFUL! :bcb_happy

Thanks for the feedback, ladies.

I have printed up some of Dr. Culmer's ideas. I will be checking out the other threads about this. And I have been doing well, I must say, with this idea of eating....slowly.

Thanks about the beans. I wasn't trying to start anything or be challenging, I was just reacting to the original meal plan...Thanks for clearing that up.

And, yes, I know from experience that dumping a can of beans out is way different from preparing them in some way.

What do I usually eat? I don't think it is worth posting since I seem to get "into" something (say, a veggie burger) for a week or two, then get so sick of it that I never want to see or small another one again.

Anyhow, thanks again.

141/139.2/123

Teg