Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

newbies and lurkers, what questions do you have?

I think we can be relatively certain you are out there:bcb_smile!

It's a great time to get started on Simply Filling (formerly Core) and

THIS is the best place to hang out, ask questions and participate!!!!

So, don't be afraid to join in!!!!

Of course you are also welcome to read through the stickies.

With a WW promotion coming up and the whole "back to school" thing going on, I KNOW this is a time when a lot of people will be looking into WW!

SO, come out come out wherever you are:bcb_smile! Even if it's just to say HELLO! If you have questions, ASK AWAY!!!!!

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Don't know where I'd be if I had only "lurked" and not come on board.

Thanks to Lynn and all the Buddies here who make this much easier and a lot of fun !!!

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

It can be tough to jump in with a question - but all are guaranteed a warm welcome here.

There is so much experience that can be shared by others who are further on their journey.

Welcome, GracieLou!

I've been here on and off since 2006 - lost my weight on Core and have maintained with the occasional hiccup.

These boards are an excellent resource for information and support - we are glad you are here!

If you have questions that are specific to plant based eating, check out the Veggie Lovers forum - you will find a wealth of veggie-information there...and some terrific folks! Some plant based eaters count points, some do SiFi.

If you have questions about SiFi/Core with no particular bias for or against animal protein, this forum is a great place for your questions. The folks here are also pretty wonderful, if I do say so myself :bcb_smile

Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot

SW 196.2 - 7/3/6

WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!

CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!

Lifetime - 2/12/7

My Chart Before & After

Simul justus et peccator

Hi GracieLou! I think you'll find out what works for YOU, but jumping into something rather than hearing what works for others!! Nothing to "lose" by trying out a food plan. After many, many different "diets", I "found" Core, now called Simply Filling, and it was THE PERFECT THING for me!!! Good luck in your search! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!

Lynn

Veronica- I love this:

"I've been here on and off since 2006 - lost my weight on Core and have maintained with the occasional hiccup. "

Now I don't feel so bad-I just had a hiccup this summer !!!! I can handle a hiccup !!!!!:bcb_grin

Bridget

SW 230

CW 151.8:bcb_march

GW 130

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi! Started Core this past May and have been loving it! I have lost a little over 20 lbs so far. Been looking throught the Simply Filling recipes and printed a bunch to try - going to make the Wendy's chili sometime this weekend.

Lynn - made roasted chickpeas the other day. Thanks for the tip about leaving them in the oven all night - they turned out great!

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.

Welcome Karen and GracieLou!! I am sure you will find lots of support and help here. And lots and lots of recipes and ideas!!

See you around; be well!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Good to see you Karen! And very glad to hear how well you are doing! Also happy to hear the chickpeas turned out well!!!

Lynn

Bumping this up because I KNOW there are people stopping by here and taking a look!! :bcb_smile And I just want to encourage you to jump right in, with questions or whatever!!

But if you prefer to just keep on reading without posting, that's good too!

WHATEVER helps you be successful!!!:salut

I just happen to think that jumping in and becoming a visible part of the community works well!:bcb_wink3

Lynn

Thanks so much for posting this. I am one of those "lurkers"!!! It can be intimidating to "jump in". I am a Mom to 2 boys, ages 6 and almost 3. DS 6 has just started 1st grade and I am definitely in that "back to school" "time to focus on myself" mentality. My DH also needs to lose weight and has had BP issues in the past so we've been discussing that the SiFi Plan is our best option -- even though it requires a lot more planning/prep/shopping/cooking (or at least it seems that way to me).

I have attempted Core and had some success with it in the past. I have learned a lot from BCB. The BEST SiFi/Core recipes are posted here as well. I am going to start SiFi tomorrow. I am going to do a grocery shopping today, and get rid of some things here. I know an environment filled with more SiFi and less non-SiFi foods is a great start.

I guess I have two questions that I should ask. I'd appreciate any tips/tricks/feedback.

I tend to have a hard time eating out at both restaurants and at other people's homes (not a lot of people I hang out with use whole wheat pasta, brown rice, extra lean ground beef, etc.). I guess what I'm trying to say is how to you adhere to a SiFi eating plan in a very non SiFi world? Any tips?

Do you have any time-saving tricks for food prep/planning/cooking?

Thanks so much. :)

~Erin

~Erin

296.75/290/160

That which we persist in doing becomes easier - not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I guess I have two questions that I should ask. I'd appreciate any tips/tricks/feedback.

I tend to have a hard time eating out at both restaurants and at other people's homes (not a lot of people I hang out with use whole wheat pasta, brown rice, extra lean ground beef, etc.). I guess what I'm trying to say is how to you adhere to a SiFi eating plan in a very non SiFi world? Any tips?

~Erin

Oh boy, Erin, have you come to the right place. You'll get lots of help here! And you learn a lot by lurking, but you'll find if you ask questions, you'll get specific ideas for the things you are wondering about!

So, for the first question, I would agree it can be hard when going out to eat at other people's houses. On the one hand, if you don't tell them what you're doing, and then you don't eat what's served, you risk having the host(ess) feel bad. On the other hand, if you do tell them, then you might feel bad if they re-arrange their menu for you.

Here's what I do. When I was in losing mode, I told EVERYBODY. So, people wanted to help me. But I also told them how the plan used normal food, so when people asked us over, they would ask whether I could eat x, y or z. And I would say, yes or no, or with modifications or whatever.

I would ALWAYS say beforehand, like when we got the invitation, "Could you please tell me what you're planning to have, so I can make sure I have saved points if I need them." People want to help, and no one ever hesitated to tell me what they were planning.

You can get creative. If you know there's going to be baked potato, stick your bottle of butter spray in your purse. Whip it out and use it!! I can't tell you how many times I've done that at friends' houses and at restaurants and the rest of the table wants to try it!!! Everybody ends up using my butter spray!!! If you know there's rice, and it is not brown rice, save the points. If there's vegetables like steamed beans or something they might put butter on at the stove, ask that yours be plated before the butter goes on. You can do this at a friends' house as well as restaurants. If your friends' food is really bad calorie-/fat-wise, have very small servings and have more of what's not bad, like salad or veggies that are not doused in butter or cheeses. I hope you find, as I did, that people really want to help and will be interested in what you're doing (and they may start to do SiFi too!!)

As for your second question, the biggest tip is to PLAN. If you have brown rice or bulgur already cooked in your refrigerator, it takes no time to saute up some veggies and lean protein and you've got the makings of a meal. When you cook chicken breasts on the grill, make extra, and use the rest the next night for a stir fry (it is even faster when the meat is already cooked) or chicken enchiladas (these will have some points), or chicken salad on tossed salad. Roast up a couple of chickens and have them ready for the kazillion recipes here that call for cooked chicken.

Enough from me. Keep asking questions; you'll get the hang of it. I wish you the best!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I think variations on "once a month cooking" also helps with the time-saving-planning issues. Some people like to follow the concept of OAMC quite closely while others, like me, plan my menus with the intention of putting the "planned overs" in the freezer. When I was hard core about it, I'd plan two weeks of meals, cook each entree for dinner like usual and then stick the leftovers in the freezer. The second part of the month, we'd have the same meals as the first two weeks of the month, only I pulled the entrees out of the freezer. In essence, I was making my own "frozen dinners" only they were healthy, tastier, and cheaper than the stuff in the frozen food aisle.

What really got me thinking about repeating favorite meals was an article I read that said most people eat the same 10 meals/foods over and over again. I extrapolated that to people who have a "fast food/takeout" routine that they don't even realize they are following (Monday = McDonald's, Tuesday is Chinese, etc.).

It dawned on me that I don't have to try to come up with something new and entertaining every single night. I can repeat meals in a month and the world won't end.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

~Erin

Hi Erin! Thanks for jumping in!!! As far as eating in restaurants, I'd say choose the restaurant carefully. Make the best choices you can and plan beforehand so you have the points you need. You almost ALWAYS have to spend some points when you eat out, due to hidden fats etc. I get things like grilled salmon, baked potatoes and steamed vegetables. I love Ruby Tuesday as they have a FANTASTIC salad bar, complete with edamame!!!! Also be assertive and ask questions about how food is prepared...don't be afraid to ask for what you want (no butter, potato instead of white rice, etc.)

As for eating at a friend's house, I'd recommend planning ahead and saving up points, then using portion control plus good choices. EVEN IF the food is just the worst possible "pointy" thing, you can deal with it by eating just a little of it....

Before you eat out you can make sure you aren't "starving"...so that you'd even be okay with tiny portions. People aren't usually ALL that interested in what you're eating.

Get a lot of activity in that day if you can, to have more points.

As for time saving tips I think we all do a lot of bulk cooking. I also LOVE using my pressure cooker. I tend to cook large amounts of things on weekends or at other times and then eat those things throughout the week. I package things in individual containers. That is great for portion control AND saves time.

Again, thanks for jumping in and feel free to ask any other questions you have and to become an active member of this terrific board!!!

Lynn

WOW, thank you so much for all of your fabulous responses! Your enthusiasm is contagious. ;) I just finished doing a really good grocery shopping, and I'm taking my commitment to doing this one step further -- I am returning to my WW meetings tomorrow evening. I haven't been to a WW meeting since probably the beginning of August.:bcb_worry

I really like the idea of making my own frozen meals whether it be cooking a month's worth, or making daily planned leftovers. I try to trick myself into thinking that I really do like the lean frozen meals:bcb_sick:, but they really are just a convenience thing. I am usually hungry after I eat them and quite honestly they taste horrible, IMHO.:bcb_down

I also think that maybe I will let everyone know what I am doing. It's just hard when you're the girl who's been on 938470239870398 different diet plans. I feel like I'm always "trying" to lose weight (and therefore look like a failure to everyone else when I've lost 12 lbs. in a year). Maybe having the accountability of my friends and family knowing what specific plan I am on will be helpful..........

Once again, thanks so much. You'll be hearing lots more from me....especially tomorrow! ;)

~Erin

296.75/290/160

That which we persist in doing becomes easier - not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I almost forgot, I'm going to have to look into getting a pressure cooker. I do have a large slow cooker but sometimes I don't like the end result of the recipes I have tried in there. I'll keep practicing though.

~Erin

296.75/290/160

I'm not really a newbie, I've done Core before and really liked it. Switched to low carb for awhile and did ok but got tired of it and thinking of going back to WW.

A few questions:

1. I've been gone from WW so long that I know I will have to re-join as a new member. Will they make me do the points-counting plan for six weeks? I really don't want to and it is the main thing that has been holding me back from rejoining meetings.

2. From the stickies it looks to me like the once-a-day rule for potatoes, rice and cereal has been removed. Is this the case or am I reading it wrong?

3. Are there any other specific changes from the old Core plan I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Started WW - Jan 2008

SW/CW/GW

242.2/212/160

I'm not really a newbie, I've done Core before and really liked it. Switched to low carb for awhile and did ok but got tired of it and thinking of going back to WW.

A few questions:

1. I've been gone from WW so long that I know I will have to re-join as a new member. Will they make me do the points-counting plan for six weeks? I really don't want to and it is the main thing that has been holding me back from rejoining meetings.

2. From the stickies it looks to me like the once-a-day rule for potatoes, rice and cereal has been removed. Is this the case or am I reading it wrong?

3. Are there any other specific changes from the old Core plan I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

Amian, were you here before? I think I remember you! Thanks for posting!!!

1. They can't MAKE you do anything:bcb_smile:bcb_wink3! The new program does have everyone starting with counting points. When it first came out if you were a continuing member doing core they were to advance you the week six book which explains SiFi. Since most leaders didn't actually DO that and since you've been away you'd probably have trouble getting the week six book. (I'd give it to you:bcb_wink3 if I were your leader...) HOWEVER, you KNOW the core plan so there is no reason you couldn't just DO it from the start. I know for ME counting points just wouldn't be good, so I'd go right to core.

2. You're reading it wrong:bcb_wink3! The once a day rules still apply.

3. Core = Simply Filling, plain and simple. The only changes any of us have noticed are extremely trivial. So trivial it's hard for me to remember them:bcb_bigsm. Sugar free hot cocoa is no longer limited to once a day. And a change for everyone is that your activity points are good for the WEEK:bcb_up!

SO COME ON BACK!!!!

Lynn

Dang, I thought the death of the once-a-day rule was too good to be true. :bcb_grin

Thanks for the info, Lynn, that's, what I needed to know!

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Started WW - Jan 2008

SW/CW/GW

242.2/212/160

Dang, I thought the death of the once-a-day rule was too good to be true. :bcb_grin
Yep, it WOULD be, maybe one of these years!

Thanks for the info, Lynn, that's, what I needed to know!

You're welcome! I'm glad people keep posting on this thread!!!! This is what we're here for!

Lynn

Hi! I am a newbie/lurker as well. I lost 55 lbs on the points system, and gained it all back :bcb_cry: I have been doing carb cycling, but I got really sick of the same food. So now I am trying Core, or filling foods as it is now called. I am not going to meetings, I just can't right now. So hopefully you can help me :bcb_bigsm

From the book I have, it says you get 2 servings of dairy a day. Also,

1 serving of whole Wheat pasta, brown rice, or potatoes once a day. Does that mean I can have a potatoe at lunch, and still have couscous with dinner? If I wanted, could I have couscous 3 times a day? I'm used to carb cycling where you get carbs only once or twice a day.

Are grits core?

What soups do you eat? Is Progresso Lentil and Slit Pea ok?

Are protein shakes (fat free) ok?

Is Grape Nuts a simmply filling food? What other cereals do you eat?

Are Ezekiel products ok?

I am having a hard time finding easy lunches. I am used to being able to eat deli meat. I HATE fish. Can you give me some examples of a lean meat that's easy to make? Thank you so much for you time!

Wildcat I know Lynn (our resident leader) will come and answer your ?? better but I'll try to answer some

Yes Grits are core.

I believe Progresso Lentil and split pea are core. I am not positive though, I eat very few canned soups. Check your ingred, if they have pasta in them they are not.

Protein shakes, Grape Nuts and Ezekial are not SiFi but if they are worth it to you use your points.

As far as lean meats go it is pretty easy to grill up a chicken breast and cut it up for sandwiches. A lot of us cook ahead on the weekends so the fridge is stocked. Also a lot of us eat dinner leftovers for lunch. I don't know if you have access to a microwave.

Good luck and welcome. I am sure you will get more answers than mine.

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Wildcat, glad you posted!!! Welcome!!!! First, it sounds like you need to learn a bit more about the program. FYI, just to get terminology straight, the foods are called "filling foods" (FF) the technique is called "simply filling" (SiFi or SF). "Core" was a LOT easier to say!:bcb_wink3 I recommend checking all the stickies with newbie info at the top, since it gives you the filling foods list, among other things. You might want to go to ONE meeting (I believe there is free registration now so it would only cost around $14, prices vary around the country) and you could get the first week book AND ask for week 6 (which the leader SHOULD give you but might not). That book explains Simply Filling and if you say you were already doing CORE they SHOULD give it to you....

From the book I have, it says you get 2 servings of dairy a day. Also,

1 serving of whole Wheat pasta, brown rice, or potatoes once a day. Does that mean I can have a potatoe at lunch, and still have couscous with dinner? If I wanted, could I have couscous 3 times a day? I'm used to carb cycling where you get carbs only once or twice a day.

About milk, those are MINIMUMS for meeting the good health guidelines, if you are over 50 or over a certain weight (250 lbs perhaps) or a teenager you need a minimum of 3! SiFi doesn't limit things except by your satisfaction level. The only thing that is limited in terms of serving sizes is your two teaspoons of oil (count points beyond that much per day).

The once a day rule regarding potatoes/brown rice/pasta ONLY applies to those three foods. SF is NOT a low carb diet! You could have potato at lunch but would need to count points if you had potato, brown rice or ww pasta at another meal. Whole wheat couscous is a filling food and is NOT considered a pasta. SO you could have it at dinner after having a potato for lunch and not count points for it, and yes you could eat whole wheat couscous at three meals in a day. Remember you can eat ALL OTHER grains/starches to satisfaction.

Are grits core?

YEP! All (plain) hot cereals are filling foods and can be eaten to satisfaction.

What soups do you eat? Is Progresso Lentil and Slit Pea ok?

I make my soups, as long as they are made with filling foods they are no count foods. Soups made with filling foods are fine. Progressor Lentil and Split Pea are probably considered filling foods. Soups are one thing that you really need to check the list for. I believe there is a list in the stickies at the top of this forum, but basically as long as they don't have white rice, noodles or "cream" they are FF.

Are protein shakes (fat free) ok?

Nope. SiFi isn't about fat free and it is largely about foods in their more natural state.

Is Grape Nuts a simmply filling food? What other cereals do you eat?

Grape nuts are NOT a filling food. Filling food cereals have no added sugar, dried fruit or nuts and Grape Nuts have sugar in them. Filling foods cereals include plain shredded wheat (including the very popular Post Shredded Wheat n Bran), puffed wheat or rice or any other PLAIN puffed grain, Fiber One. The list is short and people do things like add fresh fruit or sweetener if they like. Of course there are many other breakfast options. And like I said ALL plain hot cereals are filling foods.

Are Ezekiel products ok?

I guess it depends on the product. Ezekiel original cereal is a filling food (forgot that one in the list above). You'd have to be more specific about the products as I am not familiar with them. No commercially made bread or cracker is a filling food.

I am having a hard time finding easy lunches. I am used to being able to eat deli meat. I HATE fish. Can you give me some examples of a lean meat that's easy to make? Thank you so much for you time!

Most of us eat "planned leftovers" for lunch. I package up foods (in individual sizes) that I cook in bulk, like soup, pasta, chili, etc. The list of lean meats is in the filling foods list in the sticky at the top of the forum. I always have to look at it. I think most of us have gotten away from sandwiches. Many of us are bread addicts and once you switch over to actual whole grains (bulgur, barley, wheat kernels, etc.) you don't miss or crave bread...

Hope that helps!!!! Again, WELCOME!!! Read the stickies, consider going to a meeting to get weeks 1 and 6, and keep asking questions if you have them!!:bcb_smile

Lynn

Welcome Wildcat!! (How'd you come to choose that name??) I see Lynn has done a great job answering most of your questions. As for soups, like Lynn, I make my own soups also, and divide them into smaller portions in the freezer to take to work. You may like to try that.

But to answer your question directly, Progresso lentil and green split pea are okay.

I keep Progresso soups in the office for emergencies. Here are some that I know are okay as of the 2008 core book (I don't have the newer one, but I can't imagine that it has changed with respect to these soups). I'm typing from the book:

Progresso chicken barley, chicken vegetable, french onion, garden vegetable, green split pea, herty tomato, vegetarian vegetable with barley (my personal canned soup fave), split pea w/ ham, tomato basil, tomato vegetable italiano, manhattan clam chowder, beef pot roast w/ country vegetables, savory beef barley vegetable, sirloin steak and vegetables, steak and roasted russet potatoes, steak and sauteed mushrooms, vegetable beef slow cooked, beef & baked potato, beef & mushroom, beef & vegetable, beef barley, beef barley 99% FF, Hearty black bean, lentil, lentil 99% ff.

If you get the new materials, you should check to make sure they haven't changed any of the designations. But that was correct as of 2008.

Good luck and be well.

Sailorwoman

Lynn, thanks for much for starting this thread! I am getting so many great ideas! I think after doing this for awhile you get into a routine and forget about other food choices available. I just tried quinoa recently at my grocery store and bought that - I never had even seen it in the grocery store before - now I also found bulger but have not tried that yet. I totally forgot that SF hot cocoa was core - that will be great for the cold weather. I usually make all my soups and never realized there were so many core options. That would be great to keep at my desk for work.

Karen

I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am.