Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

newbies and lurkers, what questions do you have?

now I also found bulger but have not tried that yet.

My favorite thing to do with bulgur is to cook it and then use it just like you'd use rice in "fried" rice. Put all vegetables in it, and even chicken or lean pork if you like, and it is SiFi. I add an egg as well. The only thing I would say about it is not to have it just before a weigh-in because of the sodium in the soy sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about it, and if I don't have time to try the corn pudding I want tonight, I think we'll have bulgur "fried rice"!! Thanks for reminding me about that, Karen!!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Bulgur is one of those things that I love that I can even get my DH to eat without complaining! And he is picky. I use it anywhere I would use rice just about

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Hello all,

I am not really a newbie started here & WW almost 2 years ago. I did CORE and loved it because I was soo successful. I lost 23 pounds in 7 months! Hit my goal weight in June 08 became a lifetime member and maintained until Jan 09, when other things in my life began to unravel and I started eating and gaining the weight back. :(

I have tried several times unsuccessfully to come back to Core, I just dont have the mental commitment I used to. Reading this thread, I feel like this filling foods is core, but SiFi is only part of the Momemtum plan? Does that mean I can only do it for a period of time? HELP! How much different is SiFi? I dont have the financial means to go back to meetings, (although I think it would probably help me) but need to know can I skip all the other stuff and just do core? It seems that even former Corbies are tracking points (not a good option for me).

~Nicole

SW:156.4

CW: 141.2

WW goal: 137 / My goal: 134

There are so many ways to fail but only one way to succeed; NEVER GIVE UP! by Johni Pangalila

~Check out my AVON website: www.youravon.com/ninzerill !!

Hi Nicole!!

Welcome back!! I also lost my weight on the "old" Core plan. You will find many of us here. There were very minor changes made when they changed the name to Simply Filling, or as we call it, SiFi. I follow what many of us call "Core Classic" (which is the basic old Core plan that worked for us!).

I can't speak to the Momentum and SiFi interaction. I believe that Momentum is a short-term thing, sort of like a jump-start, but I'm not sure. What I am sure of, though, is that SiFi is NOT a temporary thing, but a plan for life, just like Core.

So, welcome! I'm sure others can answer more specifically. Lynn, who started this thread, will respond I'm sure, but as you may have noticed from another thread she's away from her home in Pennsylvania doing a charity bike ride in NH this weekend. So I don't know if she'll chime in until she gets back to her computer in PA.

Hope this helps. Be well.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Thank you Sue, Lynn and Sailorwoman!

Sailor- I graduated from the University of Arizona, we are the Wildcats! 18 was dh's number in high school, and 42 has just been my favorite number for awhile!

I am going to try to go to a meeting, and hope they give me the week 6 book. I checked ebay for it as well. Does it have cherries or some kind of red fruit on the cover?

Where can I find the recipes for some of the things you are listing in your menus, like the muffins? Thanks!

Where can I find the recipes for some of the things you are listing in your menus, like the muffins? Thanks!

There is a SiFi recipe board here: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

The search function does not work that well. But you can google "bootcamp" and the name of the recipe and google will find it for you!

Be well.

Sailorwoman

Hello,:wave:

I have been lurking on this thread and SF on and off.

I have done WW on and off for years and my stats are in my signature. In that time, I tried Core/SF for a week. I had a great loss, but I felt it didn't match my eating style that well, because of my love for bread.

I am wanting to switch things up a bit and I am thinking about giving SF a whirl. I haven't been to a WW meeting since last December. I have the Momentum book, but I need to go again and get the week 6 book from the sounds of it. I have a bit of reading and learning ahead of me. I want to check our some recipes, and it's grocery time whether I am doing Momemtum or SF.

I'll be checking this thread to learn more about SF.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Guest punkyf

I'm confused. On the new SiFi plan do you count only nonsimply filling food points? I was talking to my daughter and she said that you count the points for a potato but I thought that if it is a SiFi food that you would not count the points for it. I understood that you only count the points for the non SiFi foods. Help!

By the way I am a lurker and just love BBC. The recipes and information here are invaluable.

Thanks punkyf

I'm confused. On the new SiFi plan do you count only nonsimply filling food points? I was talking to my daughter and she said that you count the points for a potato but I thought that if it is a SiFi food that you would not count the points for it. I understood that you only count the points for the non SiFi foods. Help!

By the way I am a lurker and just love BBC. The recipes and information here are invaluable.

Thanks punkyf

Hi Punky!! You do NOT count the points for SF foods. BUT you are allowed to have potatoes, rice (the things on that once-a-day list) only once a day "free." You can have them twice a day, it is just that the second time you have them, you have to count the points for them. Okay??

Be well.

Sailorwoman

Guest punkyf

Thanks Sailorwoman, for the fast reply.

So the non SiFi points that I count are subtracted from the 35 extra points I have for the week?

For example---I had a flavored yogurt for breakfast with 1/4 c. plain oatmeal. I counted 1 point for the yogurt and 0 points for the oatmeal. Am I doing this right?

punkyf

That's right, Punky. Also, you may find there will be times when a recipe is basically SiFi, but has some non-SiFi ingredients in small amounts. For example, a stew that might be all SiFi stuff except for some flour to thicken it. You can figure out what the points of the non-SiFi ingredients are and divide them by how many servings you get out of the recipe. You count only those non-SiFi points in your serving. If when you divide the non-SiFi points by the number of servings the points are less than 1 per serving, you don't have to count it.

Come back with any questions you have as you go along - we're happy to help!! Be well.

Sailorwoman

Guest punkyf

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Sailorwoman. I can't wait to try this. I have been coping recipes and made some quinoa to have in the freezer today. Can't wait to try some of the great recipes I've found here.

Thanks again

punkyf

Thanks for starting this thread, Lynn. I'm certainly not a newbie since I've been on (and off) this site for years, but I tend to disappear for long periods of time, return as a lurker, and then finally plunge in and post. I would like to be more part of SF/Core community since it always helps me stay OP and I learn so much here. I've also recently found a wonderful book, helped me even more than Beck's Diet Solution, called Eating Less by Gillian Riley. It talks about the addictive nature of overeating (very much like the Kessler book, btw) and how to deal with it in a non-12 Step way. For the first time in my life I have been able to sit with my cravings (what she would call addictive desires) and not eat, allowing them to fade. I posted a review of the book on Amazon if anyone is interested, and even though she makes nutrition suggestions, this program really works well with WW.

I have regained a lot of the weight I lost on WW (rough year, not that there's any excuse, divorce and my mother died) and am working hard on taking it off. Haven't found a meeting I really like but am still looking and meanwhile doing WW by myself at home. Sometimes leaders give out so much misinformation it makes me distrust the whole process (the last one said that eating chicken too often alters your metabolism, for example), but before I moved I attended a meeting I absolutely loved so am sure I can find one here or near my office that works better for me.

So, I don't have any questions at this point, but it's great to be here and I appreciate the invitation to get involved. Now I'm going to look for the wonderful crockpot or oven apple oat pudding recipe since I will hit the local organic farmers market this morning and plan to buy a load of apples.

Okay, buddies, here's the deal:

CORE = SIMPLY FILLING TECHNIQUE!!!!!

Do not be alarmed, do not be confused, be VERY, VERY HAPPY!:bcb_smile:bcb_wink3

The new Simply Filling Technique is virtually IDENTICAL to the old core plan. Plain and simple.

If you did core, just keep doing that and you are doing the Simply Filling Technique.

You can do Simply Filling FOREVER. Which is what I intend to do!

The basics of the plan are in the stickies at the top of the forum....

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Guest punkyf

Thank you wwlynn. You made SiFi clear as glass.

I also have another question. Has anyone ever heard of a product called Konjac Shirataki Noodles? I found some of these at the flea market and was told that they have 0 calories. The stats on the package say...

Serving size 84 gram

Fat 0

Protein 0

Carb 3 gm

Soluble fiber 3 gm

sugar 0

I tried them and they were not bad. Not cheep though. $3.99 per package. I used them like pasta.

I am having a hard time finding easy lunches. I am used to being able to eat deli meat. I HATE fish. Can you give me some examples of a lean meat that's easy to make? Thank you so much for you time!

Hi Wildcat

An easy lunch that I eat often is half a can of refried beans with veggie shreds, heated in the microwave untill the shreds melt and can blend in with the beans. Then I add half an alvocado, diced, salsa(pico de gallo type) and shredded lettuce. Easy and filling.

Melinda

Melinda :headover::jump_jack :bcb_march

I am slowly relearning to disconnect my weight and value, and that to me is huge.......BCB Hanna :salut

weight.png

Thank you Melinda, that sounds tasty!

I am heating up some Progresso Tomato Basil soup. I just checked the label, and it has 16 gm of sugar :bcb_confu. I checked the list online, and it is on there. Does that seem right?

Thank you Melinda, that sounds tasty!

I am heating up some Progresso Tomato Basil soup. I just checked the label, and it has 16 gm of sugar :bcb_confu. I checked the list online, and it is on there. Does that seem right?

I see 14 grams of sugar and that includes NATURAL sugar (which would be found in the tomato). And YES it is a filling food according to e-tools.

Lynn

Tomato Basil soup sounds good...is it a vegetable soup or just a tomato soup?

Might have to put it on my shopping list...

Tamara

SW 178.6 09/03/05

GW 146 01/14/06

I think I accidently messed up yesterday.:bcb_huh: I had shredded wheat with skim milk for breakfast, and I wasn't very hungry last night, so I had a bowl for supper too. Am I supposed to limit that to once a day? I know I have WPA I can use, so I am ok, but I didn't mean to use them.

I know, I need to go to WW for a WI, and get week 6 booklet. I only got the 1st weeks information, and haven't gone back since then. I should have asked for week 6, but not having done core/SF in the past, except for a brief trial, I didn't ask for it.

I'll get this figured out yet.

Trudie

I think I accidently messed up yesterday.:bcb_huh: I had shredded wheat with skim milk for breakfast, and I wasn't very hungry last night, so I had a bowl for supper too. Am I supposed to limit that to once a day?

Trudie, don't worry, no biggie. YES you are supposed to limit cold cereal to once a day (and have it with ff milk or ff plain yogurt), but doing this once certainly isn't going to be a big problem! You wouldn't want to do it every day! Just count points for the cereal the second time.

And just remember core = SFT. Yes, the week 6 book helps, but so does the old core info!:bcb_wink3

Lynn

Thanks Lynn! BTW, I love your new avatar.

As of today, I have made it through one week on SF. A few days into it, I really didn't think I would make it. Then I was determined to finish out the week, and now I am thinking I will go one more week.:bcb_happy

But I have a question, do you find that you need to use some WPA most everyday to do it? I didn't use many last week, but I sure could have.

Trudie

The use of WPAs is an individual thing. I would imagine most people use them. Lots of people say it is what makes it a lifestyle not a diet, but I still think it's an individual thing. Some people are very happy eating mostly FF, but the WPAs ARE part of the plan!!!! So please feel free to use them! Carol would always say she was a five a day person, whereas when I was losing I often didn't use them. I do use LOTS of my APs these days..

What made it a struggle for you? Was it NOT using WPAs?

Maybe you could post a menu. That is often helpful when you are just starting....could be there is something you are missing....

Oh and thanks about the avatar!

Lynn

What made it a struggle for you? Was it NOT using WPAs?

Maybe you could post a menu. That is often helpful when you are just starting....could be there is something you are missing....

Crap, I just had a post an lost it, that virus thing popped up here again!

Bottom line, I struggled with what to have for lunches. I am used to having a sandwich, baked chips, and WW yogurt. I really missed my sandwiches and chips. Last week, I was basically eating fruits and veggies, and Baked oatmeal muffins. (is baked oatmeal limited to once a day?)

Breakfast is steel cut oats and blueberries, or yogurt with Kashi Go Lean and toast. This past week, it was steel cut oats/berries, baked oatmeal muffins, or shredded wheat with skim milk.

Supper was a lean protein, (chicken or turkey) veggies, and a core grain.

I need to get the limited stuff figured out. I am going to go read my old core stuff.

What I do like about SF, is it forces me to eat even healthier.:bcb_smile

Thanks for your help Lynn!

Trudie

Most of us eat "planned leftovers" for lunch. I think that as you stop eating bread you'll stop craving it. That is what most of us find. I am a serious bread addict. Of course when I make COW bread I eat it all in a short period of time, but it is almost all I eaton those days:bcb_blush...I'm not recommending this, but if you bike 50 miles or so in a day it works out fine!

Anyway, check out some of our threads about lunches on the go. There have been several kind of recently. I make things like chili or soup and portion it out in little containers to grab for lunch!

Looks like you're on the right track! Make sure you get the 9GHGs. Baked oatmeal is NOT limited. Sometimes people like to limit the baked goods just because they are more energy dense, but that is a personal choice.

Keep asking questions!!!

Now, I'm headed to bed:salut!

Lynn