Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

newbies and lurkers, what questions do you have?

Chihuahua-lily

Only plain oatmeal not flavored is SiFi. Sorry!

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Yes you can add Splenda or anything else SiFi that you like, like cut up apple or other fruit. Or some sugar and count points for that.

Sue

163 SW/164 CW/145 GW

Two more qustions:

Is Quaker instant Oatmeal "strawberries & cream" Sifi? Sorry I'm asking this again but it's not clear to me yet. Lynn told me that I could have sugar free jello (the one that is sweetened with Splenda and has flavor), so I don't see why can't I have oatmeal?

Can I have Corn the cob after having all of my five daily meals? I mean I eat 3 big meals and 2 little snacks, but if I want to have some corn late at night can I have it?

Lily:bcb_march

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Lily, maybe something is getting lost in translation?:bcb_wink3 The jell-o has nothing to do with the oatmeal. The fact that one is flavored with strawberries and splenda and is SiFi doesn't make the other SiFi. I don't know how else to explain it. There was an extensive list of core foods in a sticky at the top of the forum, I don't know if it is still there, but that might help....

Meanwhile, sugar free jello IS a filling food while only PLAIN oatmeal is a filling food. Just the way it is. Not everything is perfectly logical about these lists but it WORKS!

Also, corn is not limited, except by your satisfaction, so you can eat it whenever you are hungry.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

It's not logical to me but i'll do whatever it takes to LOSE WEIGHT...lol!

And YES I have the core food sheet from the sticky.

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Ok, so I still have questions to ask...

The other day I went out to eat at Carls Jr. Have you ever been there? I ordered a grilled chicken salad. The only thing that wasn't core in it was the cheese so I put it out. Is that ok?

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Yes, since fast food grilled chicken is now considered a filling food, if the cheese was the only thing in it not a FF you could either remove it or count points for it.

Lynn

Can you make your own taco seasoning mix? I really want to make a taco salad, but I'm not sure the taco mix packet I have is Simply Filling. Have you made your own?

Dawn

SW-230/CW-160/GW-150/PGW-140

Dawn, seasoning packets are generally filling foods (well not technically filling foods, but no count on filling foods).

Lynn

Can you make your own taco seasoning mix? I really want to make a taco salad, but I'm not sure the taco mix packet I have is Simply Filling. Have you made your own?

Dawn

I agree with Lynn and do not count taco seasoning. However, I am very frugal, and when the huge container of taco seasoning that I got for some ridiculously low price ever runs out, I intend to try this recipe. I've been saving it in my computer!! If you try it, let us know what you think!

Taco Seasoning

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 ½ tablespoons cumin

1 ½ tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you want it)

Simply combine all ingredients, blending well, and store in an airtight

container. Use 2 tablespoons of this mixture to a pound of ground beef,

ground turkey, or chicken. This makes about 8 tablespoons, or 4 batches

worth.

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

I don't buy taco seasoning. I just mix my own seasonings too. You can find lots of "recipes" online! Thanks for sharing Sailorwoman!

Lynn

Ok, I have yet another question. I only use deer meat for my ground meat. My question is how much can I eat of it. I know it is on the good list, but is their a limit other than until you are satisfied? If I remember correctly ground beef is limited to once a day, or I think that is what I've read from looking around. Is ground venison limited to once a day? It has very little fat in it if any. It produces no grease when cooked. I know that some processors add ground beef to it, but if they have added any to this then it would be a minimal amount.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

Can't help you with that one. The only hunting I do is for plastic containers with lids that match. ;)

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

Since ground meats are limited to once a day, I would assume it is limited to once a day. It isn't about how fat it is, it is about the fact that it is ground.

Lynn

Ok, since I have been lurking/posting here, I have bought an electric PC (which came Tuesday and is still in the box:bcb_huh:), and today, I found myself in a natural food store, buying wheat berries and spelt berries. Of course, I have no idea what to do with them, but I will.......:bcb_smile

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

Great on all counts Trudie! Google or just let me tell you that basically you need to put the wheat berries in the PC with plenty of water (sorry I don't measure this) and I guess they say to add some oil to prevent foaming...and then cook on high pressure for 15-20 minutes!

Lynn

Oh, and Trudie, I no longer consider you a lurker:bcb_wink3:bcb_smile!

Lynn

Oh, and Trudie, I no longer consider you a lurker:bcb_wink3:bcb_smile!

Thanks, I guess not. I have got about 6 weeks of SiFi under my belt now. I think back to that first week on SiFi. I was only half way through it and I said there's no way I can do this. Then I told myself I planned to give it one week, just finish that week out. I did, and I absolutely LOVE SiFi.

I just want to say if there are some you out there, on the fence about SiFi, I say go for it.:bcb_smile Just give it a try.

Trudie

HW: 195.6/SW: 195.6

CW: 133 PGW: 138 WWGW: 155

DEFINITELY not a lurker anymore, Trudie....another core/SiFi zealot is born:bcb_bigsm:salut!

Lynn

Thanks, I guess not. I have got about 6 weeks of SiFi under my belt now. I think back to that first week on SiFi. I was only half way through it and I said there's no way I can do this.

That exactly happened to me last week and...well, I'm NOT going to quit. I'll give SiFi another chance. Wish me luck. When I hear you talking about how wonderful it is once you get used to it I really feel so motivated and want to feel the same way you do.

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

Is regular oatmeal a simply filling food? Not the instant stuff, but the regular quick oats. It is a hot cereal, so I assumed it was, so if not I really need to know.

Dawn

ALL plain hot cereals are filling foods. Instant, quick cooking, "old fashioned" etc. oatmeal is a filling foo as long as it is PLAIN. (no added sugar, nuts, fruit, added foods of any kind).

Lynn

Ok, that is what I thought, but then I found this recipe on another WW weight loss board and I was a little confused about what one of the girls was telling this lady. Here is the recipe and then I will comment on what the lady said.

Pancakes

¾ cup *Oat Bran

½ cup **Cream of Wheat

1 Tbls Splenda

2 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

1 beaten egg

1 cup skim milk

1 Tbls applesauce

1 Tbls Canola oil

1. In a medium mixing bowl stir together the Oat Bran, Cream of Wheat, Splenda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside

2. In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, milk, applesauce and canola oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir until well combined.

3. Let batter sit for 10 to 15 minutes, this allows the liquid to be absorbed and the mixture to thicken.

4. For standard-size pancakes, pour about ¼ cup batter onto a hot griddle (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray). For dollar-size pancakes, use 1 Tbls batter.

*Grind regular oatmeal into flour (which seems to be the same as Oat Bran) using a mini food processor or blender – it is much, much cheaper!

As I understand it this girl is not adding anything to the oatmeal to make it something different, she is simply making it finer like Oat Bran so that she can use it in the recipe. She is still using the Oatmeal nothing more. But this lady told her that it wouldn't be SiFi if she did that.

Here is the ladies quote

"Reminder: Ground oatmeal is not a Core food. The Filling Foods list is the same as the Core list, minus a few items, such as oils. Ground oatmeal is a flour, so if you want to go "by the book," use the oat bran, not the ground oats."

Why does it make it different if you put it in a blender to make it finer change what it really is? I'm sorry but that is CRAZY! It is still just oatmeal since she did not add something to it.

What are your thoughts?

Grinding oats into oat flour makes them flour instead of oats and therefore not a filling food. This has nothing to do with what I said before about plain hot cereals being filling foods. Flour isn't a filling food so taking any whole grain or cereal and grinding it into flour means it isn't a filling food anymore.

This can get into hairsplitting in terms of exactly much grinding makes it flour, but I'd say if you grind it to the consistancy of flour you've gone too far and it's no longer a filling food. I sometimes mix my baked oatmeal muffins in my food processor. It chops the oats up a bit but I don't think it turns them into flour. If you process the oats ALONE in the food processor I guess it grinds them up really fine and then it's flour and not a filling food any more.

Instant oatmeal is not flour of course. Anything that you buy as a plain hot cereal is not considered flour. You'd have to grind it up to make it flour and not a filling food.

I realize that was repetitive but I hope something in there answers the question!

Lynn