Health Discovery Network
wwlynn

newbies and lurkers, what questions do you have?

I guess I didn't really answer your last questions...

Grinding it up makes it easier to digest and more energy dense and you can also make other foods more easily that are REALLY energy dense.

You could make the same argument with wheat berries. There's a huge difference in terms of energy density between wheat kernels and wheat flour. Plus, like I already said, you could then start baking things with the flour and are MUCH MORE ENERGY DENSE.

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

My point is that the girl said she processed it a bit to make it more like the oat bran (filling food) because it saved her money. I just don't understand what makes it a non filling food now. Does it change the way that your body processes it? Is it harder to digest if you blend the oatmeal a little finer? To me the oat bran looks like oatmeal that has been ground a little finer.

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just trying to understand what makes it different. I'm just trying to learn, but I still hold to not understanding what makes it different. Maybe the science of breaking down the food? I understand that flour is not a filling food, but just because you mix the oats finer does that really qualify as flour? Wouldn't major companies add something to it to make it oat flour?

Thanks,

Dawn

SW-230/CW-160/GW-150/PGW-140

Actually ground grains are exactly what flour is. It's just like raisins are not a filling food but grapes are.

At some point it becomes ground fine enough to not be a filling food any more. We weren't really meant to get into this kind of hair splitting so when you look at it closely it is a bit confusing.

Corn flour isn't a filling food but corn MEAL is. MEAL is a specific term apparently. Oatmeal vs. oat flour. Wheat berries/kernels, bulgur, Wheatena, cracked wheat. ALL of those are filling foods. Whole wheat flour isn't.

WW had to make relatively simple rules. The fact that you could eat a bit of ground oats and be fine isn't the point.

I will also say that on the WW filling foods board they can go overboard about some things. Like I said, processing oats to make them a little smaller is different than grinding it into a flour consistancy.

Oat bran is not chopped up oats though. Whole grains consist of the germ, endosperm and bran. That is a specific part of the grain.

I'm not exactly sure what "meal", as in "oatmeal" or "cornmeal" means. But we could certainly google it and find out!

Bottom line though is that we don't have to LIKE what WW has decided are the rules. We don't have to AGREE with them or even totally UNDERSTAND the rules; however, here at BCB we FOLLOW the plan as written!

Lynn

I started Simply Filling last Monday so today starts my second week. I did use most of my 35 points. I'm still trying to figure all of this out and make better choices as far as my food. My goal this week is to not use as many of my points, but my question is do my 35 points start over this week? You get 35 points a week right?

Thanks,

Dawn

SW-230/CW-160/GW-150/PGW-140

Well, I've read through 8 pages of this thread, plus the stikies, plus ww online and some other threads on this forum. I'm filled with SiFi info! I do have some clarifications I would like:

I think I understand, but the meat limit is only for ground meat, right? This doesn't mean if I have ground beef for lunch that I cannot have chicken breast for dinner... just that I can't have ground beef, ground chicken or ground whatever for dinner.

My other question has to do with lifestyle. Some weeks I'm able to cook, but some weeks its quite impossible. So when eating out, what if part of the meal is core? For an example, what if I have shrimp- which is core, but it's like breaded or something. Do I just add the points for the breading? Or chicken that is core, but it has skin- if I eat the skin- I just add points for that?

I'm considering doing SiFi because I feel extremly hungry on flex. The last time I did flex I did not have this problem, but this time I can't get no satisfaction! I realized I'm not craving, but I just need food- more protein because I'm working out, more whole grains without counting all those points which seem to be depleting too fast recently. I'm afraid like everyone else but Lynn has given out some great advice on this thread that I think I'll definitely remember!

206.5 | 202 | 150

Mini Goal: 5% 196lbs

Well, I've read through 8 pages of this thread, plus the stikies, plus ww online and some other threads on this forum. I'm filled with SiFi info! I do have some clarifications I would like:

I think I understand, but the meat limit is only for ground meat, right? This doesn't mean if I have ground beef for lunch that I cannot have chicken breast for dinner... just that I can't have ground beef, ground chicken or ground whatever for dinner.

My other question has to do with lifestyle. Some weeks I'm able to cook, but some weeks its quite impossible. So when eating out, what if part of the meal is core? For an example, what if I have shrimp- which is core, but it's like breaded or something. Do I just add the points for the breading? Or chicken that is core, but it has skin- if I eat the skin- I just add points for that?

I'm considering doing SiFi because I feel extremly hungry on flex. The last time I did flex I did not have this problem, but this time I can't get no satisfaction! I realized I'm not craving, but I just need food- more protein because I'm working out, more whole grains without counting all those points which seem to be depleting too fast recently. I'm afraid like everyone else but Lynn has given out some great advice on this thread that I think I'll definitely remember!

Good for you for reading through the WHOLE THREAD!!!!:bcb_up I am hoping others will do the same. LOTS of questions are answered here!

You are RIGHT about the ground meat, it only applies to ground meat, AND remember you CAN have ground meat twice a day, you just need to count points the second time!

About eating out and counting points for non core/ff ingredients, I think you have to use your own good judgment. If it is easy to figure out how much of something isn't core/ff then just count the points for it. If it is a dish with all sorts of things mixed in and you don't even quite know what is in there, count points for the whole things. When I eat out I generally figure there are several points worth of things added like sauces/fats to any grilled meat I'm eating, for example. I try to stay away from things like breaded shrimp or chicken skin, but STILL count extra points for fat etc. on things like grilled salmon or chicken. That wasn't what you were asking, but personally I wouldn't want to waste points on things like breading. There are enough added points for GRILLED shrimp!

I'm glad you found the thread helpful and, really, SiFi is GREAT and there is nothing to be afraid of!!!!

Lynn

Got a few more:

I know french fries are no way core. But I like to make oven fries at home with maybe the amount of core oil allowed or cooking spray. This would make it SiFi, right? I mean, I don't fry things. I can understand that from a restaurant it would not be core. What about frozen potatos/fries from the freezer asile? They say to just spray and bake, is that core?

What do ya'll do for lunches besides leftovers? It's not always conducive for me to bring my lunch on my public transportation & long commute to work. I do mean besides salads, because- though I love them- I can't have a salad everyday.

206.5 | 202 | 150

Plain, frozen potatoes would be a filling food. Making your own oven fries with spray oil or your healthy oil is also a filling food.

As for lunches, check out some of the menu threads from recent times. I eat things like soup, chili, grain/bean salads, lean protein over a grain (e.g., curried chicken over brown rice). I eat very few traditional salads:bcb_smile.

Lynn

I love veggie soups (all kind: broccoli, carrot, tomatoes, etc), but I was wodering how do you make it? When I was on Flex I would do it with "Carnation Fat Reduced" but now that I'm on SiFi... I suppose I have to make it with FF Carnation right? The problem is that they don't sell "FF Carnation" here in Chihuahua. I don't even know it there is such product?

I also use Carnation for my coffe&Chocolate SiFi Popscicles.

The question is: Is Carnation Fat Reduced sifi?

Lily:bcb_march

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

The question is: Is Carnation Fat Reduced sifi?

Lily, You're talking about evaporated milk right? For ANY milk to be a filling food it must be fat free. I would imagine they sell FF evaporated milk (not necessarily Carnation brand) at Walmart in El Paso. You can always count points for the reduced fat though.

I don't add any type of milk to my veggie soups. But I'd imagine the amount per serving (of milk) would be very small and possibly 0 points.

About the SYRUP, it is not,technically, a filling food or a no count food but it is low enough in calories that it is almost always 0 points worth per serving. Technically the answer is NO you can't have as much as you "want". If you consume enough that there are points involved, then count the points. I doubt you'd ever want that much!

Lynn

That is what I don't understand bc you can have Splenda right? Then, why can't I have all the syrup I want if it is sweetened with Splenda?

Lily:bcb_march

SW 158. CW 134. GW 127

That is what I don't understand bc you can have Splenda right? Then, why can't I have all the syrup I want if it is sweetened with Splenda?

The simple answer is WE DON'T KNOW! WW makes the rules, we just follow 'em! :bcb_wink3But don't get too hung up about it, the amount you consume will likely be 0 points.

PLUS remember it's not that you can't have something, you can have ANYTHING, it just might not be considered a filling (or no count) food.

Lynn

Just switched from Momentum to Simply Filling. I'm jazzed about the recipes I'm finding.

What would be your most helpful tip for me as I begin my new eating style?

Bonnie

Welcome Bonnie!!!! SiFi is fantastic!!!! I hope other buddies will also join in and answer your question. My advice would be to:

• hang out here and READ, READ, READ
  • become actively involved in the board
  • try new foods
  • post a menu to get feeback
  • ask questions if you can't find the answers from your reading, reading, reading:bcb_wink3
  • HAVE FUN!!!

Lynn

Just switched from Momentum to Simply Filling. I'm jazzed about the recipes I'm finding.

What would be your most helpful tip for me as I begin my new eating style?

Bonnie

Welcome Bonnie! I have been on SiFi for only a short time but have found that if you really stick to it you will lose well. I hate to admit but I was not good the last 2 weeks and gained back some of what I lost but I'm back on track and waiting to lose again!

Lynn is right...just stay on here and on the recipes and daily chat thread and you will learn a lot. I love the recipes and have made several of them. I find that you will never be hungry is you stick to the plan. It's amazing!

Cherry

Remember: The only Jesus some people may see is the Jesus in you and the Jesus in me!

SW 198

CW 142

GW 150

Hi Buddies-

I have a question regarding SiFi and frozen meals. There are times when I just can't fix something that is SiFi, so I like to Amy's frozen meals. Do I just count the points for any item that is not SiFi? So if cheese is in the ingredient list, I can estimate the number of points I think it might be? I know there are several vegetarian enchilads type meals that are corn tortillas with black beans corn, tomatoes, etc... Thanks.

Allison

SW 150

CW 149

GW 130

Hi Allison! The rules say that you count for the whole thing. No frozen meals are filling foods. We tend to make things in big batches and freeze our own homemade foods. Or you can throw things together pretty quickly. But basically I bring a lunch to work every day that is something I made and packed up in individual containers right away after making it.

Lynn

Question about limitations on potato, brown rice, whole wheat pasta.

I know it's limited to once a day. Does that mean I can have brown rice for lunch, but can't have potato for dinner (or can, but need to count the points)?

206.5 | 202 | 150

Question about limitations on potato, brown rice, whole wheat pasta.

I know it's limited to once a day. Does that mean I can have brown rice for lunch, but can't have potato for dinner (or can, but need to count the points)?

That's it!:bcb_wink3

Lynn

What about having rice & potato in one meal. How does that work?

Also, is soy creamer core (since soy milk is core)?

206.5 | 202 | 150

If you have rice and potato at the same meal you need to count points for one of them.

I don't know about soy creamer....I'd imagine NOT because ff half and half is not a filling food...but I'll do some research....

Lynn

Silk Original Creamer, 1 T = 0 points. So not a filling food but 0 points for 1 T....If you have more than that in a day, check the nutrition info to see if it adds up to points.

Lynn

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions! I am new to all of this, but I have tried 3 diets in the past year and either they didn't work (low carb) or I gained weight right afterwards because I felt so deprived. The idea of tracking and measuring sent a chill through me so when I read about SF I was really excited and inspired. I started this on Jan. 4th...

My questions... I know the focus can't be on how much we lose each week, but a part of me is concerned that I wont lose at all on this because I"m eating too much. When I add up the points each day if I were doing this under regular momentum I'd be about `10 points over per day on average. Should I be worried? I am stopping when I am full for the most part (messed up on some pudding after dinner the other night lol).

Here's yesterday as a sample... I'd really appreciate some feedback! Oh and also... when I look up most spray butters and ff margarine's on the tracker they count as points, but the literature seems to say we can have any ff margarine or spray and not count, insight on this??? I've been using I can't Believe Its Not Butter Spray on my veggies.

Sample Day:

Oatmeal w/ banana

coffee w/ fat free milk

chicken breast (2 small)

brussel sprouts (1 small bag) w/ I can't believe it's not butter spray

Apple

2 slices of cheese

1 1/2 cups cottage cheese w/ mandarin orange

Filet Mignon (6 oz)

sweet potatoe

diet coke

1 or 2 servings ff sf pudding