Health Discovery Network
Ready2StepUp

Help point value for chicken all messed up!!! :( What to go by?

Ok need help at figuring out how to point this...I always get the individually wrapped perdue chicken breasts now when i get the 6 pack from my local grocery the nutritional value is for 1 filet (4.8oz) 140 cals 1.5 fat 0 fiber which is 3 points now I just bought it in bulk at costco and the label states for 1 filet 4oz 110 cals 1 fat 0 fiber which is 2 points. Since there was a difference in the packages nutritional information even though its same company same product just in bulk not a package of 6 after I cooked the breast I weighed it and the breast came out to be 3oz. Now do I go by my usual 3pts since its really the same chicken breast packaged by the same company or do I go by the nutritional value of the perdue bulk bag from costco??? but i am also under the impression that each oz of chicken is 1 point? so since the breast weighed out to be 3 should it be 3pts? but even then the nutritional values on both packages are wrong because the 6 pack advirtises 4.8oz being only 3pts and the costco bulk perdue chicken individual wrapped advirtises 4oz for 2pts...What do I go by???

:bcb_march

WOW!!!! Sorry. Wish I could help. That is one of the reasons I do SiFi, much easier on my brain.

Never give up or look back,

:exercise: Mickee :exercise:

weight.png

HW: 238

WW: 8/18/06--210

GOAL: 130

Simply Filling or previously Core.

weight.png

No problem. I am just not into counting every point and weighing and measuring things. I do fine with the hunger scale. If I stay on the plan. Just too stressful for me to count the points.

weight.png

I think after I do the measuring and everything for awhile I will be able to learn more of my hunger scale. I tend to go overboard so I need to learn when I am satisfied verse to late and being so over stuffed. Right now the measuring and counting is what I feel I need to do and that is why I am so confused at this chicken. I mean 1pt isnt that big of a deal but at the end of the day sometimes it is.

Well Mickee gave you some great reasoning for doing Simply Filling, but that probably didn't help you with figuring the points for your chicken. :bcb_wink3

Personally for chicken I go by the one point for one oz "rule". Sometimes if you overthink things it can drive you nuts. If you want to be more exact, then use the ni from the package of chicken you're having. I hope that helps a little bit.

Luanne

"Just Do It"

Goal - 8/2/02

Do you have access to weigh the portion you are using?

The NI is the same but the serving sizes are different.

4.8 oz is 1.2 times 4.0 oz. If you multiply the NI for 4.0 oz times 1.2 you get the closer to the NI that that package lists for 4.8 oz

Is that clear or did I confuse you more?

NI for 4 oz

Calories 110 X1.2= 132 which would be rounded up to 140 for a label

Fat 1 x1.2= 1.2 which would be rounded up to 1.5 for a label

Fiber 0 0

Points 2.28 2.74

Round 2 3

So if you are eating 3.0 oz of this chicken you are actually getting only .75 of the 4.0 oz serving so you are only getting 2 points.

Calories 110 x.75= 82.5

Fat 1 x.75= 0.75

Fiber 0 0

Points 2.28 1.71

Round 2 2

These weights however are RAW weights. You can't use the NI from the package for the cooked weight. I'm afraid I've made it more confusing. Let me know if you still have questions.

Joanne

SW 252.6/WWG 157/2013 Restart 192.6:bcb_huh:/CW189

Guest TryingWW

Also, read the info carefully because some chicken is injected with a water/salt solution which makes them "weigh" more so what is nutritionally a 3oz piece would weigh more.

So plcm111195 do I count points for what the chicken is before cooked (raw) or do I count points from after its cooked?? I weighed a piece of it raw earlier today and I believe it was either 6 or 8oz raw but then after cooked my piece came out to only 3oz. Why so different? Is that normal? Do I count my portion that I am actually eating which is cooked or do I count the portion raw?

Ok I just weighed a piece of raw chicken it totalled 5 oz...the way I did it earlier today raw was in the individual packages with all the juices. Thats why it weighed more raw but a chicken piece raw out of the package with no juice is 5oz but cooks out to be 3oz...how many points should I count that? 2 or 3? is that normal the different raw verse cooked?

If you want to use the NI then you need to figure from the raw weight. 5oz raw based on the NI given is still 3oz. Or you can go by the generic count which is 1pt per ounce cooked weight. It's not worth sweating over, IMO.

Joanne

ok so let me see if i get this right say 5oz raw it would be actually 1.25 times the NI so this is how it would work...

calories 110x1.25=137.5

fat 1x1.25=1.25

fiber 0

points equal 3pts

??? is that right with it being raw weight??

But then if I am eating only 3oz of that 5oz raw piece I am only eating 2pts worth?? does the 3oz have to be 3oz cooked or 3oz raw?? I was always under the impression you count the portion you are eating aka the cooked weight not the raw weight...

The nutritional info is for the raw weight. If you take a 5oz piece of raw chicken it will cook down to 3-4 oz cooked depending on how you cook it.

It might be easier for you to just go by the standard 1 pt per 1 oz of cooked chicken.

Joanne