Health Discovery Network
Sailorwoman

OT - Things to do in PA and OH

Okay, I've agreed to accompany DBF (now DFiance!!!) to Marion, OH, for a workshop he's attending. I will be footloose and fancy-free in Marion, OH. There doesn't seem to be a lot on the internet about this area, except for some popcorn museum or something like that. If anyone knows anything about this area, please let me know what I should do or see. I like outdoors things, museums, sports, agricultural exhibits (I think this is farming country). I'm not much for shopping a lot.

I think we are taking Rte. 80 through PA out and back (the alternative is 90 through NYS and down through Erie, PA and down into OH, but I went to school in Buffalo and never want to see the NYS Thruway again!!). Any ideas on what to do/see on that route? I know there's a lot there; what would you recommend. We can stop and take an extra day.

I'm looking forward to any and all ideas!! Thanks, buddies!!!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

(now DFiance!!!)
Isn't it great to be able to say that??? :salut

You're talking about Interstate 80, yes? If so, it follows the old Lincoln Highway fairly closely. Look up the Lincoln Highway on Google and you'll find all sorts of interesting things to explore.

Edited to add: I can't recommend any one thing because I'm such a geek that I love it all!

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

I thought route 30 was the old Lincoln Highway. I live right off of 30 and that's what it is called in various locations. Sorry I've been busy today and tonight and haven't responded. I will try to write more tomorrow, but depending on what you are interested in, State College, home of Penn State University is not far off of route 80. There is also the Delaware Water Gap, which I believe is located on or just off of route 80 between New Jersey and PA. If you want to travel a little farther off route 80, there is the PA "Grand Canyon" in Wellsboro, which is a charming little town with a fabulous bed and breakfast DH and I stayed at a few years ago....Ricketts Glen State Park isn't TOO far off 80 and also somewhat near Wellsboro. That park has a FANTASTIC trail with a WHOLE BUNCH of waterfalls. I can tell you more if you are interested in that. Nearby is World's End State Park which also has some nice hiking and vistas.

Those are a few ideas I have....:bcb_smile

Lynn

I bike for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

oops, i'm back again! I really should go to bed though...but I had to add, since I live in Lancaster County, that lots of people seem to want to come here to visit/vacation! I don't quite understand WHY....we, of course, DO have a lot of Amish people....and lovely rolling hills, Amish farms etc....best seen from a bicycle in my opinion!!!!:bcb_wink3:bcb_smile

Oh and then there's Gettysburg, not too far from here. But this is all off of route 30, not route 80, 30 runs east/west south of 80.

Lynn

Thanks for your ideas. It does look like the Lincoln Hwy is far enough south and has enough other stuff on it that it justifies a separate trip. I feel the same way about Gettysburg. I really can't believe that I have never been to Gettysburg and Valley Forge. Fortunately, the Hershey place is also south of I-80!!!! (I am reminded of a cartoon I have depicting two very large women standing outside a bake shop display window. One says to the other, "Let's go in and just see what happens....")

I'm going to stop at AAA at lunch today to pick up some books. I was hoping someone from Ohio would chime in. The Marion, OH Chamber of Commerce made me shudder: the highlights are bowling, golf and the popcorn museum! So, I may have to branch out and not stay right in the heart of Marion!!!

Sailorwoman

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday in your life you will have been all of these." (George Washington Carver)

If you like to bike, the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon (which starts in Wellsboro, which Lynn mentioned), has a 62 mile rails-to-trails trail. My hubby and I recently biked it and it is beautiful. In fact, USA Today listed it as one of the 10 prettiest bike rides in the WORLD!! It's flat and easy and you can get a shuttle service to meet you at the end (or any point along the way) and shuttle you back to Wellsboro, or you can bike down and back. You can also hike along that trail (off of the trail). This creek (river) is one of the best trout streams in PA - it's famous! If your DF (congrats!) is a fisherman, he might find that interesting. You need a license to fish, though, but it's not hard to get.

I, too, live in Lancaster County, and we have beautiful back roads to bike - rolling hills and more if you want it- (or just ride in a car) and lots of tourist attractions. The town of Intercourse is a popular stop.

I also went to college at Gettysburg College. Gettysburg is about an hour and 20 minutes west of Lancaster on Rt. 30 and is also a beautiful and historic spot. You can bike the battlefield or just be a tourist! Good little fishing streams there, too. Both Lancaster and Gettysburg are far below Rt. 80 (Lincoln Highway is Rt. 30 - at least that's what it's called in Lancaster and Gettysburg).

The Lehigh River Gorge is also a rails-to-trails trail (I think it's about 22 miles long) - easy and flat and I don't think it's too far off of 80. You can rent bikes there in the town of Jim Thorpe. It's a very cute little town which is a little bit of a tourist town. You can also get a shuttle for your biking there. You can also raft or kayak down the river. It looks fairly easy - looked like class 2 and 3 to us when we biked the trail.

I guess the Lincoln Hwy and I-80 don't start converging until further west. :bcb_blush

My Honey and I take lots of road trips and PA/OH are perfect for getting off of the interstate and taking the older highways (like the Lincoln Hwy.). We would have a plan but, more often than not, we would stumble upon something that filled us with delight.

Save up your points and visit the creamery at Penn State. Best ice cream EVER.

Note: I follow the Winning Points program :salut

Save up your points and visit the creamery at Penn State. Best ice cream EVER.

Funny you should mention that. DFiance has wanted to go to the Ice Cream School there for some time. I'll put that on the list of places to check out!!

We are also going to check out the rails-to-trails bike paths.

Thanks for the great ideas!!

Sailorwoman

Oh yes, you need to go to the Creamery if you stop at PSU. Get some Peachy Paterno perhaps...or my favorite...WPSU Coffee Break (coffee and chocolate)...but DO save up a LOT of points for this. Maybe you could ride the rail trails FIRST!:bcb_wink3 If you stop at PSU you should head across campus from the creamery to see the famous Nittany Lion statue too...there's some MORE APs!!!:bcb_smile

Lynn

Are you going anywhere near Mansfield in your travels? Marion is about an hour southwest.

Things to do in/near Mansfield:

Kingwood Center -- mansion & gardens left to the city by a wealthy industrialist, house and garden open for touring

Mansfield Reformatory (google their website for hours/days and tours) -- old gothic-style prison where the movie Shawshank Redemption was filmed, it is also rumored to be haunted if you like ghost tours and such

Malabar Farm -- home of author Louis Bromfield, Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart got married here. The farm is lovely, the house is preserved & open for tours: http://cleveland.about.com/od/ohiostateparks/p/malabarfarm.htm

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, if I think of anything else I'll post again. :bcb_smile

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Started WW - Jan 2008

SW/CW/GW

242.2/212/160

When DH was in seminary, he served a one-year internship in Fostoria; I remained in Columbus that year and drove back and forth between Fostoria and Columbus every weekend.

I passed Marion but never stopped there!

Veronica the Pushy Core Zealot

SW 196.2 - 7/3/6

WWGW 146.0 - down 50.2 in 24 weeks!

CW 131 - 65.2 lbs gone FOREVER!

Lifetime - 2/12/7

My Chart Before & After

Simul justus et peccator

I passed Marion but never stopped there!

I'm beginning to see why.... Although I really do believe every place has its merits and beauty, Marion is putting that belief to the test. At least it is doing that from a distance. I'll find something interesting there, I'm sure!!! (It reminds me of when I lived in Buffalo. People would say, "How do you like Buffalo?" and I'd reply, "Well, the people are really nice" Translation: Buffalo itself has little to recommend it!! Even for me, who loves snow, Buffalo's snow is useless because it is so FLAT out there!!)

Sailorwoman

About 30 miles SW of Marion are the Ohio Caverns, and "the Castles" - a couple of mansions built by two brothers, I believe. I've seen signs for them when driving through, but haven't gone there. One of my students said the caverns were pretty cool. That area around Bellefontaine is pretty - kind of hilly, as compared to the VERY FLAT area in northern Ohio. Columbus looks like it's not that far from Marion, either, and I think they have a Whole Foods there (can you tell I live in a "nowhere place"? :bcb_grin), as well as a number of other bigger city attractions.

189.8 :bcb_yuck: /140/140 /pg135

Maintaining since 5/18/06 :bcbkickbu

...Ricketts Glen State Park isn't TOO far off 80 and also somewhat near Wellsboro. That park has a FANTASTIC trail with a WHOLE BUNCH of waterfalls.

Not too far from my house! I just went past there today on 118!! It is a very nice place! If it is the same place, there is a "beach" there.. Lake Jean. During the Summer, we went on a field trip there with the kids at work and hiked through the woods, etc.

I am not defined by the number, but how healthy my body is!

2 teach is 2 touch 4 ever

~*Nicole*~

Oh yes that IS the same place Nicole!!! How nice to live near it!

Lynn